Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Sydney (Post-Reno) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2016, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bhrubin
I have an upcoming stay and read the entire thread. I saw some common themes, and thought it would be useful to start a wiki. Please feel free to update or correct anything. I haven't stayed here, so the information is based on the contents of the thread:

- Diamond Suite Upgrades are NOT available at this property.
- Diamond members receive a complimentary full breakfast for up to 4 guests.
- The beds are very firm platform beds. I saw a few posts where a foam pad for the top of the bed was requested.
- Docked cruise ships that may obstruct the view from the Harbour view rooms.
- The hotel is 4 stories.

The concierge desk offers a weekly tour of the Rocks on Saturday.

Link that shows when cruise ships will be docked opposite the hotel:
https://www.portauthoritynsw.com.au/...ruise-schedule

Room Types and Floorplans:
https://www.scribd.com/document/3404...t-Sydney-Rooms

Expert Review posted in Luxury Forum: http://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-reviews/r-wonderful-park-hyatt-sydney-stay-and-city-harbor-view-with-a-few-caveats-1943
Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt Sydney (Post-Reno) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2014, 4:04 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by srodr
I do hate to sound like a complaining entitled diamond, but this is our first time in Sydney and we were really looking forward to this hotel. I booked a 'city harbour' room on points which was the only points option. Having arrived yesterday I am quite disappointed that the room we got has absolutely no view of the opera house ( unless we lean out over the balcony and look left which then provides a view of the rear half). A call to the manager last evening yielded only a 'sorry we are fully committed'. Sure we are on a points stay and this room has a nice view of the city and harbor in front of us, but looking at the layout it appears that probably half of the rooms have some kind of opera view and so while the hotel seems fantastic otherwise, this feels like staying in Paris with a room facing away from the Eiffel Tower. Perhaps I'll try again today with the week-day manager.
Warm Greetings to you in Sydney
Sorry to hear that your rooms view was not up to your hopeful expectations.
I have been fortunate an outstanding track record at this property without asking for anything over the past number of years.
Having said that I can safely say that Diamond guests will likely surpass the one or two guests daily you perceive IMHO.

If I were in your shoes and Opera House view was important to me I would check inventory online and see if such a view room is available and inquire politely with the team.
You are at least entitled to best available room based on availability.
The management and team are more than can do here in my own experience and are not only Diamond friendly but Hyatt & Gold Passport friendly.
So by all means reach out and ask. Its something I'm sure they have heard many times before
This is one hotel that has always exceeded my personal expectations even with whatever small bumps in the road may happen or exist.

Keep in mind that in addition to Hyatt Gold Passport guests they attract some of the most wealthy clients in the world that are willing to pay
whatever the going rate is for whatever they want. So your YMMV
Hope you are enjoying your stay none the less
Cheers
Old Oct 20, 2014, 9:16 pm

I do know that upgrades are not guaranteed, I just don't recall not having gotten one before in 6 years as a diamond. It has probably happened, just not in a place where it mattered enough to remember it.

I suppose my take here is that despite having booked the only award room type that is offered, I find it difficult to believe that none of the at least half of the rooms that offer better views could be available to upgrade a diamond guest. Perhaps I underestimate the number of diamonds that come through this property, but I have been assuming that we are still a very small percentage, perhaps one or two at any given time. Maybe I am wrong on this estimate which would be sad if this program is beginning to go the way of Hhonors where I left because everyone and their mother was starting to become diamonds and the hotel employees were seeing so many that they stopped caring totally. But I digress...

The room I have been given here with the city harbour view actually has a far inferior view of the opera house than most of the other city harbor view rooms: it is one of those with a small curved balcony in between 2 rooms with much larger balconies. For some reason it was designed so that this balcony is actually recessed quite a bit so that one has to lean out as far as possible over the railing to see just the rear half of the opera house. I can't imagine why a designer would make such a recessed balcony, but that is how it is. I have asked the manager about the possibility of just moving to one of these larger balcony rooms if nothing better is available. If not I will stop wasting time over this and enjoy the magnificence of the hotel and it's service.
Was an opera room available? if they're all sold out before you arrive, then obviously there's nearly 0% chance you'd get upgraded and bump a paying customer.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 10:25 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold
I do know that upgrades are not guaranteed, I just don't recall not having gotten one before in 6 years as a diamond. It has probably happened, just not in a place where it mattered enough to remember it.
As a Hyatt Diamond for the past several years, I agree that my expectations at a normal Hyatt property are set pretty high. My upgrades at Hyatt properties worldwide consistently range from good to amazing, with upgrades to suites a fair percentage of the time. I, too, approached the PH Sydney as "just another Hyatt" where I would be treated similarly as I always have at other Hyatts. So I completely understand and sympathize with your expectations. I have since discovered that the PH Sydney is an exceptional property in more ways than one.

I suppose my take here is that despite having booked the only award room type that is offered,
The PH Sydney offers 2 types of award rooms:

1) City Harbor King - the base type of room they sell. Water view, balcony (though Opera house only visible if you lean out the balcony), and Japanese toilets. Capacity controlled for award space.
2) Park King - a sort of substandard room, usually not sold to the public unless the hotel is booked to capacity. No balcony, no sliding doors, ugly view of the ugly asphalt road behind the hotel, and smaller, more basic bathroom. Seems to not be capacity controlled - or at least is available much more often than the City Harbor rooms.

I find it difficult to believe that none of the at least half of the rooms that offer better views could be available to upgrade a diamond guest. Perhaps I underestimate the number of diamonds that come through this property, but I have been assuming that we are still a very small percentage, perhaps one or two at any given time.
Your mistake seems to be that the higher category rooms are actually available for upgrade. It is not uncommon for the PH Sydney to actually sell all their rooms (even suites and premium rooms), even in the low season. The PH Sydney is arguably the finest hotel in the city, and there is no shortage of demand for its rooms, even at the exorbitant prices listed.

As one of most aspirational properties in the Hyatt portfolio, the PH Sydney sees its fair share of Diamond guests. My take is that they don't actually give much deference to first-time Diamond guests, likely because a great percentage of them are simply on a "trip of a lifetime" and are not likely to return anytime soon.

On my first stay at this property, I booked and received a Park King room, unaware of the substandard nature of this room type. Despite confirmed availability of higher category rooms for the duration of my stay, the front desk refused an upgrade. It wasn't until my second or third trip when the "Diamond treatment" I am so accustomed to at every other Hyatt property started to materialize. While I still only book City Harbor rooms, I've been upgraded to Opera View and Opera Deluxe rooms and I can sense the hotel making more of an effort to accommodate my needs.

So my advice is to not give up on Gold Passport, but simply to adjust your expectations regarding this property in particular.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 6:09 am

Originally Posted by baliktad
As a Hyatt Diamond for the past several years, I agree that my expectations at a normal Hyatt property are set pretty high. My upgrades at Hyatt properties worldwide consistently range from good to amazing, with upgrades to suites a fair percentage of the time. I, too, approached the PH Sydney as "just another Hyatt" where I would be treated similarly as I always have at other Hyatts. So I completely understand and sympathize with your expectations. I have since discovered that the PH Sydney is an exceptional property in more ways than one.

The PH Sydney offers 2 types of award rooms:

1) City Harbor King - the base type of room they sell. Water view, balcony (though Opera house only visible if you lean out the balcony), and Japanese toilets. Capacity controlled for award space.
2) Park King - a sort of substandard room, usually not sold to the public unless the hotel is booked to capacity. No balcony, no sliding doors, ugly view of the ugly asphalt road behind the hotel, and smaller, more basic bathroom. Seems to not be capacity controlled - or at least is available much more often than the City Harbor rooms.

Your mistake seems to be that the higher category rooms are actually available for upgrade. It is not uncommon for the PH Sydney to actually sell all their rooms (even suites and premium rooms), even in the low season. The PH Sydney is arguably the finest hotel in the city, and there is no shortage of demand for its rooms, even at the exorbitant prices listed.

As one of most aspirational properties in the Hyatt portfolio, the PH Sydney sees its fair share of Diamond guests. My take is that they don't actually give much deference to first-time Diamond guests, likely because a great percentage of them are simply on a "trip of a lifetime" and are not likely to return anytime soon.

On my first stay at this property, I booked and received a Park King room, unaware of the substandard nature of this room type. Despite confirmed availability of higher category rooms for the duration of my stay, the front desk refused an upgrade. It wasn't until my second or third trip when the "Diamond treatment" I am so accustomed to at every other Hyatt property started to materialize. While I still only book City Harbor rooms, I've been upgraded to Opera View and Opera Deluxe rooms and I can sense the hotel making more of an effort to accommodate my needs.

So my advice is to not give up on Gold Passport, but simply to adjust your expectations regarding this property in particular.
I find this to be a very interesting observation but it may make sense if actually true.I'd like to tour these rooms next time in house in the months ahead
Based on how everyone describes them hope that I am not assigned one
I've had nothing but excellence over the past number of years from this property in every regard even if on a given day they stumble.
Every day is a different occupancy and team on board so YMMV!
Old Oct 21, 2014, 9:28 am

Update on General Manager transitions

Just read today that in June the well known and long time Hyatt Associate took over as General Manager ^
I first met Marc back in Perth many years ago and have observed his exceptional growth through the years with his career @ Hyatt.

Former GM Andrew Mensforth was a prince of a fellow always coming down to say hello at arrival as his schedule permitted
and closely looking at details before during and after guest stays
The hotel appears to be in truly capable hands and I greatly look forward to seeing Mr. von Arnim in his new position upon my return early in the New Year.
Mr.Von Arnim brings a wealth of Hyatt experience to the property in and out of Australia and is off record just an incredibly down to earth nice guy.
This is a very exciting new development new/somewhat because I was caught unaware of the changes

http://www.hotelmanagement.com.au/20...ys-new-leader/

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Oct 21, 2014 at 9:41 am
Old Oct 26, 2014, 2:40 am

Programs: BA CCR, CX Gold
Dear FTers,

Just finished my first stay at this property. I was given a lovely upgrade from Deluxe Harbour View Room to the Quay Suite. Nice room and amenities. The only thing I would like to point out is that the service at the Dining Room was not impressive.

Photos: https://flic.kr/s/aHsk5EGDbj
Old Oct 26, 2014, 4:26 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Wow!!!
Old Oct 26, 2014, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by johnny147
Dear FTers,

Just finished my first stay at this property. I was given a lovely upgrade from Deluxe Harbour View Room to the Quay Suite. Nice room and amenities. The only thing I would like to point out is that the service at the Dining Room was not impressive.

Breakfast has been the biggest issue there for me on the service end on occasion.
Its also gone really well.Being I only stay once a year I cant really see how isolated or consistent the problem is
Have had dried up sandpaper omelets and some that are world class. Its all over the map.
Its always been a work in progress and odd to me that lesser hotels in the area do breakfast somewhat better than a 1000 dollar a night property
They have always been very nice to me as a Diamond and taken all charges off the bill at or before check out regardless of the outcome
Come with patience is what I have learned

Regarding Rooms & Suites
Thanks for sharing the photos
I don't see much difference at all in the suite vs the deluxe excellent upgraded rooms I normally stay in.
Having toured the real suites they resemble gorgeous modern residential apartments of the wealthy.
Those are truly impressive which clearly differentiate from all the hotels guest rooms IMO with kitchen appliances.
If these are in fact real suites you stayed in other than a few extra chairs I would call them nearly identical to the best largest opera view rooms
Glad you enjoyed your stay

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Oct 26, 2014 at 9:09 am
Old Oct 27, 2014, 12:16 am

Programs: Qantas, American Airlines, Hyatt, Accor
Dear FTers,

I've never had a service problem at the Hyatt over many years. A quiet word to management regarding your problems would be worthwhile - with a name or names if possible.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 9:57 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
AMAZING PHOTOS...

I hope we are lucky and get something like that on our anniversary visit next month!

Dear FTers,

Old Nov 5, 2014, 1:07 am

Hi,

I'm a bit of a noob here.

Not sure if my post is appropriate for this thread but, I'm planning a four night trip here this upcoming December and the rate I'm getting for an Opera Deluxe Room clocks in at $1450 AUD per night.

Just wanted to know if this is the best rate I can get. Thanks.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 8:33 pm

Programs: Military Space-A, UA Plat, AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
Regarding Rooms & Suites
Thanks for sharing the photos
I don't see much difference at all in the suite vs the deluxe excellent upgraded rooms I normally stay in.
If these are in fact real suites you stayed in other than a few extra chairs I would call them nearly identical to the best largest opera view rooms
Glad you enjoyed your stay
It looks like he had the regular, large, wonderful room we had, with a living room attached. How are the opera view rooms you mention different?
Old Nov 6, 2014, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by slocouple
It looks like he had the regular, large, wonderful room we had, with a living room attached. How are the opera view rooms you mention different?
They aren't
or some very minor subtle differences. Its the real suites that are vastly different than the photo shared.
I too stayed in the same or similar accommodation
Very nice!The room type is virtually the same with two large balconies and opera house views.
I would define it as a sitting area across from the bed more so than a real living room.
More like a large executive studio
Old Nov 6, 2014, 9:00 pm

Is there a map or floorplan of the property, specifically the 100-level floor? I'm curious to know what room my upcoming stay will be in.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 11:50 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
We stay at this property soon... so very looking forward to saying here.... my partner is excited... this is an anniversary stay!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.