Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Waikiki Beach Resort and Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Waikiki Beach Resort and Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2014, 5:32 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by FlyMan
Blackstone, the new owner seems to implement some cutbacks at the hotel. Starting Oct, Shor will be closed for dinner service, sushi bar @ Japengo will be closed, and room service will mostly be terminated.
long discussion already and still sad. A once really nice place to stay is being gutted. Venture Capitol at it's best. But they are true to form, I have had some involvement in other properties professionally with them, up keep and maintenance is not one of their operating points. Neither is services ! As one can see.

And the problem is the HP around the corner is even worse.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 4:48 pm

Programs: Military Space-A, UA Plat, AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
We enjoyed the happy hour menu at Japengo which goes from 5:30 PM to 7 PM. A little over $50 all in for two of us.
We felt the same way. The sushi was simply great. Best we've had anywhere. Guess we're too sheltered if that wasn't really very good sushi.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by slocouple
We felt the same way. The sushi was simply great. Best we've had anywhere. Guess we're too sheltered if that wasn't really very good sushi.
Try the sushi at the Marriott down the street better! ^^^^^
Old Sep 22, 2014, 10:20 am
formerly ffactoryxx

Was looking at staying here for the final two nights of our honeymoon. Its between here, Outrigger Beach or Moana.

I can get an Ocean View here for Around 210+ Taxes + Resort Fee. Is it worth it?
Old Sep 22, 2014, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by ffactoryxx
Was looking at staying here for the final two nights of our honeymoon. Its between here, Outrigger Beach or Moana.

I can get an Ocean View here for Around 210+ Taxes + Resort Fee. Is it worth it?
Honeymoon stay on beach
Old Sep 22, 2014, 3:53 pm
formerly ffactoryxx

Originally Posted by edgewood49
Honeymoon stay on beach
Were on the beach at Andaz and Maui HR for a week. This is our last two days where we just want to do the City thing plus beach is right accross street.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 4:51 pm

Were on the beach at Andaz and Maui HR for a week. This is our last two days where we just want to do the City thing plus beach is right accross street.
BEACH
Old Sep 23, 2014, 10:47 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy
Original Poster

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
It think it's a fine choice under that circumstance. You would be hard pressed to be guaranteed an ocean view room at the Moana for that rate. (I can't speak for the Outrigger, but from the looks of it in the lobby, etc., the Hyatt feels superior.

If you let the hotel know prior to your arrival that you will be on your honeymoon, you just might also see a better room. It's worth letting them know.

Congratulations.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 7:08 am
formerly ffactoryxx

Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
It think it's a fine choice under that circumstance. You would be hard pressed to be guaranteed an ocean view room at the Moana for that rate. (I can't speak for the Outrigger, but from the looks of it in the lobby, etc., the Hyatt feels superior.

If you let the hotel know prior to your arrival that you will be on your honeymoon, you just might also see a better room. It's worth letting them know.

Congratulations.
I just ended up doing Outrigger Waikiki partial ocean to be done with it. So excited.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 6:57 pm

I just ended up doing Outrigger Waikiki partial ocean to be done with it. So excited.
as someone that has been staying in Hawaii for business and pleasure for 30 years many nights at the HR it's not anywhere near the hotel it once was and I am sure you will have a great time on the beach! Enjoy !^^^^
Old Oct 6, 2014, 4:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Just finished two nights at the HR Waikiki. First time at this property. Check-in experience was fantastic. Lots of aloha spirit.

Upgraded from basic room (my elite rate) to ocean front on the 38th floor. Fantastic view from the balcony of Waikiki and Diamond Head. Unfortunately, the rooms are configured so you really can only enjoy the view from the balcony.

Facility is really tired. Elevators and bathrooms in dire need of renovation. Room itself was okay, but furnishings were drab and there was lots of empty space in the very good sized room. Pool is pathetic. On the plus side, room was very quiet, no noise from the hallway. I also like staying at this end of Waikiki, the food options are really excellent (including Marukame, one of my favorite restaurants anywhere).

I thought the Regency Club was pretty nice, particularly the outside terrace. Breakfast was decent, mostly cold items, but an ok selection and high quality. Coffee was excellent. I'm coming from Hilton, and Hyatt has much nicer clubs in the US.

Service overall was really really good.

I'm back at the Hilton Hawaiian Village tonight. The beachfront location is superior. The Ali'i Tower rooms are also much much nicer. I think this is a nicer property overall, but the Diamond amenities at HR will probably keep it in the running for me on future stays.

Extra note: Honolulu is absolutely packed tonight. I tried to extend at HR and they were sold out. Got one of the very last rooms at HHV. Almost nothing else available in Waikiki. Kind of explains how the various Honolulu hotels can get away with old facilities, resort charges, and reduced elite amenities.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 10:20 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
All Hawaii properties have to be concerned about the strong dollar versus the yen. With so many Japanese on package deals with prices set months ago reality will set in. The Lounge, possibility of upgrade and certain staff members are the only things bringing us back consistently to the HR.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
All Hawaii properties have to be concerned about the strong dollar versus the yen. With so many Japanese on package deals with prices set months ago reality will set in. The Lounge, possibility of upgrade and certain staff members are the only things bringing us back consistently to the HR.
Your correct in part why we continue to come back however this last trip we went to the Marriott and while it was in similar physical condition the dining options better, pool and service much better sans of course Barbara!

There is and has never been a lounge but if your PLT you get free buffet breakfast, not a bad trade off.

The HR has been in a steady decline since it was sold by a Japanese businessman 10 or so years ago. GS bled it dry. One can only hope !
Old Oct 6, 2014, 2:23 pm
Original Member

Programs: Hyatt Courtesy card. Delta 2MM Diamond. AA platinum pro
I disagree. I believe the hotel is upgrading certain aspects. The gym has been well upgraded this year. The treatment of long time guests has definitely improved in terms of upgrades.
There will be changes to the F&B offerings though I have no idea what they are.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 6:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by mmgm
I disagree.
Yeah I would say:

HHV>HR Waikiki>>>>>>>>>>>>Marriott Waikiki

The Marriott has only a handful of true ocean front rooms, the recognition of elites is poor, and the buffet breakfast is low quality.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.