DFW Overnight

Old Dec 13, 2011, 3:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP, Hyatt GP Diamond
DFW Overnight

Guys,

Will be having an overnight stay in DFW in early April.

Any advice re the best Hyatt property?

Will arrive (from SYD) at about 1400 and depart mid-morning the next day (to BGI).

Many thanks

GB
Old Dec 13, 2011, 5:16 am

Programs: 2.4mm++ AA Plat, Hlt Diam, Hyt Globaist, Mrrt Gold, Gold Pts, MilesForDreams.com, etc.. etal..
Originally Posted by GlennB1968
Guys,

Will be having an overnight stay in DFW in early April.

Any advice re the best Hyatt property?

Will arrive (from SYD) at about 1400 and depart mid-morning the next day (to BGI).

Many thanks

GB
There are two Hyatts at DFW airport. Never stayed there but last time I checked they are a smidge pricey. I think the one (name escapes me) that is NOT in the terminal is a bit better pricing. I figure the time you save in driving, cab fares, etc... probably a safe bet.

Welcome to Texas!

Safe travels!

Mike
Old Dec 13, 2011, 7:10 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

the Hyatt Place grapevine has a free airport shuttle, I believe.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 7:44 am

Programs: DL-Platinum / AS-PlatPro / Hyatt - Glob / Hilton-Diamond
You have a decent sized layover in DFW. If you plan to get a rental car, there are hotels thru-out the area that will be better priced.

There are 2 Hyatts at DFW. Both are physically within the airport (not simply located near the airport).

The Grand Hyatt is the newer (and pricier) of the 2. If arriving from SYD on the non-stop, you'll be arriving Terminal D and the Grand Hyatt is actually a part of that terminal. Once clearing Customs, proceed as if you're exiting (you don't physically exit the building, I'm saying that you don't want to proceed back into the "secure" part of the terminal as if you have a connecting flight). Just follow the signs to the escalator or elevators (lifts ) to the Grand Hyatt.

If arriving from another terminal, then things are a little trickier. The Airport Train is the easiest way between terminals, but it is located "airside" (within the secured area). If you have carry-on luggage only, walk off your plane, find the Train and go to Terminal D. But if you have checked luggage then you'll be going "landside" to claim it and can not return thru security. In that case, you'll need to catch the hotels shuttle bus downstairs.

The Hyatt Regency is a nice enough property. It's nowhere as nice as the Grand, but sometimes the price increase for the Grand is not (IMHO) worth it. Some days (typically weekends ??) the price difference isn't so bad. The Regency, while located among the terminal buildings, is not on the Air Train's route. You can walk there from Terminal C, but it involves an akward, poorly marked path through a couple of parking garages. I recommend the shuttle bus.

Go thru the Sticky: Hyatts - Property Index & Reviews on Flyertalk thread and you'll find the link to the review threads on both properties. You can then decide for yourself if you think the higher cost for the Grand is justified.

Departing the hotel for your outbound flight is almost everything in reverse, with some exceptions if flying on American (AA).
Regency: take the hotel shuttle bus. If on AA, you can walk to Terminal C, check your luggage, go thru security, then take Air Train if your flight isn't Terminal C (AA is in almost all terminals at DFW)
Grand: (remember: Terminal D is where the Grand is located) AA has check-in counters in Terminal D (D is the "international" terminal but does handle domestic flights, so there are no restrictions on entering it). You can also enter via terminal D when flying other airlines if you already have your boarding passes and only have carry-on bags with you. If you need to get boarding passes and/or check your luggage, then go downstairs outside and catch the airport's Terminal shuttle bus to your terminal.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 11:24 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold
I will be spending a night at DFW next year. I booked the Hyatt Regency as it was $40 cheaper than the Grand. Thanks steve64 for the detailed descriptions.

Last edited by Jeeves; Dec 13, 2011 at 11:30 am
Old Dec 13, 2011, 2:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, 2 mm, Marriott Gold
IMHO The Grand Hyatt is worth the extra $40. It's the best Hyatt in the DFW area. The hotel has a wonderful rooftop gym, pool, and fantastic food and beverage program. It's pretty much a destination of it's own.

Originally Posted by Jeeves
I will be spending a night at DFW next year. I booked the Hyatt Regency as it was $40 cheaper than the Grand. Thanks steve64 for the detailed descriptions.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 8:20 am

I second this. The Grand Hyatt DFW has always been worth the little extra I've paid every time I've stayed there. The first time I stayed there (2009) it was literally the best service I've ever had in ANY Hyatt ever. One example: I bought my girlfriend 2x $3 tiny chocolates at the cafe.(I didn't know the price until it was rung up) Joking with her, I told her these better be the best chocolates she ever had. While thats happening the girl from the front desk passes the cafe cashier a note. 30 minutes later my gf and I are returning to our room and see the cafe cashier by the elevator holding a huge tray of chocolate covered fruit. She tells us she was looking for us to give these to us. I thought she was joking and it was samples for the hotel. No, she literally made them for us just because! My gf and I couldn't finish the plate there was so much! Like I said earlier, that's just one example of amazing service I've received from the Grand Hyatt DFW.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 9:41 am

They are both great hotels, however I find GH a much better deal. The rooms are nicer, the staff is better trained and over all it is a much better experience. Here is a review of the hotel:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt...er-thread.html

If you do not care about points or your stay counting towards elite status, the Hyatt Regency can be a steal using the Hyatt classic certificates - $109 a night, taxes included:

https://www.certificates.hyatt.com/

There were times when weather or mechanical issues have forced me to spend the night at DFW without advance reservations and I had to spend $110 a night at the DFW Fairfield Inn.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 2:55 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

For your layover, unless you're dying to get out and about in the Greater Grapevine or Irving area, you could have a nice relaxing stay at either property.

I stay at both properties, especially since the Regency has been updated.

But, if I had more than just sleeping to do, i.e. some extra stay time, I'd choose the Grand. It's newer. I agree about the awesome top-floor gym and the food options at the hotel.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 7:02 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Hyatt Plat, Hilton Silver, Marriott Gold
DFW Grand or HR

I've stayed at both on site Hyatts within the past year and definitely prefer the Grand. At the time I stayed at the Grand, the price was nearly equal to the HR so it was a no brainer. On a future stay there was a significant difference in the rate and since I was on business and could not justify the difference, I booked the HR.

Both were good stays but the Grand is definitely a step above in terms of quality of the rooms and service (including service in the restaurant).

So as a previous poster pointed out, check both and let the price difference be your guide. I would personally pay up to maybe $20-$30 more for the Grand depending on the length of my stay; otherwise I'd book the HR.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 1:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP, Hyatt GP Diamond
Thanks for all the replies.

Due to a change of itinerary, I now only have ~6 hours in DFW.

Will ask the question about what to do/where to go in the appropriate forum.

Thanks again

GB
Old Dec 23, 2012, 1:45 pm

Hyatts at DFW: A couple of questions for those who have stayed at either

Greetings,

I did a search of DFW Hyatt and Hyatt DFW, neither came up with a result. Anyhow, I have a couple of questions. Moderator, if you need to move, please do so. Thanks.

Anyhow, onto my questions. I will need to overnight at DFW. If prices are the same, which airport Hyatt is better? Also, depending on my time of arrival, I may have to grab my bags. How easy is it to access either hotel from AA baggage claim. Any other info would be helpful.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 3:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: ゴールデングローブ
There are couple of cheap prices rooms around DFW. Good for collecting stays
Old Dec 23, 2012, 4:48 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
For same price the Grand is nicer than the Regency. But seldom are they the same price.

The Grand is accessed from inside Terminal D, but outside of security, which might be an advantage worth paying for if you were arriving and leaving from Terminal D. The Regency is a stand-alone building landside of Terminal C, but, to the best of my knowledge, no longer connected by a walkway from the terminal (but check the Hyatt site for directions). Now requires a shuttle ride, or knowing how to cut through a parking garage (including up and down stairs).
Old Dec 23, 2012, 5:47 pm

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
They aren't the same. One is lik 90/night @ IBM rate. The other like 50% more.

Good luck.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.