Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Does Diamond breakfast include tip ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does Diamond breakfast include tip ?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2011, 10:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, American Air, National Car
Originally Posted by silver-tls
What gets me is how different it can be day to day at the same property (not a good sign at how mgmt runs the ship!).

Back in March I had 2 nights at the Hyatt Miami Blue. First day for breakfast the server was as nice as can be and when I asked for the check, she said the vouchers took care of everything, gratuity included. I left her $5 and she was extremely grateful.

Next morning I was going to do the same but the server never brought the check. He made is seem like he went out of his way to get my breakfast comp'd (I had the vouchers) and brought a little printout to what the gratuity could be (i.e 15%, 18%, 20%) - kicker is the amts suggested were for TWO people when I was the only one at breakfast. I left $1 and walked out.
Sometimes ppl have difficult stuff going on in life, and can't maintain a level of service at work. I try to give one-time passes. But certainly wouldn't give a 30-40% tip, as suggested.

Did you see that the property only billed for one breakfast instead of two? I assume the comp breakfast cost is split between various parties - corporate, property, restaurant function
Old Jul 11, 2011, 3:55 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by Often1
Think that you are missing the distinction. The tip is included (and calculated and paid by the property to the wait staff). You added an extra amount and it is that extra amount which is not included. As noted above, some properties don't get caught up in this and simply write off the extra tip as well.

If you don't want to leave the wait staff a couple of bucks, don't feel obligated to because they are already receiving something from the property. If you want to be generous and reward them, then do.
I don't believe this is the case. I mentioned I was a diamond every morning prior to ordering, yet there was no gratuity included in the check. When the hotel gives you breakfast coupons this isn't a problem, but I'm not walking away from a $80 tab with a line through the tip.

This is the only property that I have had this happen.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 5:22 pm

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Originally Posted by skunker
I don't believe this is the case. I mentioned I was a diamond every morning prior to ordering, yet there was no gratuity included in the check. When the hotel gives you breakfast coupons this isn't a problem, but I'm not walking away from a $80 tab with a line through the tip.

This is the only property that I have had this happen.
I agree. Certainly was the case at the Park Hyatt Chicago where there was zero service/tip included and I had to write it in (and pay for it myself later at checkout).

Park Paris is different because it's standard in many places in Europe to include service in the normal bill, yet in American chains (and other places), to allow patrons to write in extra gratuity if desired.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 5:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz 5*, IHG RA, Hyatt Diamond, Amex Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by 4aks
Sometimes ppl have difficult stuff going on in life, and can't maintain a level of service at work. I try to give one-time passes. But certainly wouldn't give a 30-40% tip, as suggested.

Did you see that the property only billed for one breakfast instead of two? I assume the comp breakfast cost is split between various parties - corporate, property, restaurant function
Not sure what the property billed for as it didn't appear on the folio.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 2:27 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by SCEflyer
Tipping is of course a personal thing, but is it really worth the effort to dispute the charge? In my world life is too short.
Who said I was trying to dispute the charge? Awfully big leap you took there.

Originally Posted by sensei
It might be insightful to find out whether tips added to the check are in addition to the tip Hyatt pays. The GP terms and conditions referenced upthread clearly state that tax+gratuity are covered by Hyatt.
Exactly.

My PL rep intially stated the tip is not included. After quoting the GP T&Cs she admitted that she and other reps did not know that. They thought it only covered tax. She has offered to have the charges reversed, but I have declined that. The hotel is obviously doing it wrong and needs to change how it handles diamond breakfasts.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 8:52 pm

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Originally Posted by skunker
Who said I was trying to dispute the charge? Awfully big leap you took there.

Exactly.

My PL rep intially stated the tip is not included. After quoting the GP T&Cs she admitted that she and other reps did not know that. They thought it only covered tax. She has offered to have the charges reversed, but I have declined that. The hotel is obviously doing it wrong and needs to change how it handles diamond breakfasts.
Thanks for clarifying. I long suspected this, and as such, putting "Included" on the gratuity line is therefore not correct. Unless, that is, you're in Europe where Service may be a separate line item.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 3:30 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
I almost always find the service at PH Washington breakfast to be so excellent that I usually tip extra.

Andaz Fifth Avenue also does it well - they just tell you you are all set and don't bring anything to be signed.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 3:47 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

I stayed at the Andaz Wall Street this past week.

When they gave me the breakfast bill, I added some $ for a tip (on the line that says "tip"). Thinking that I would be charged for the cash tip I left on the bill, I was surprised that nothing appeared on my bill at checkout except for the room, the ridiculous NY taxes and my one room service charge.

Could it be that they give you $50 per day in breakfast credit and my total (with tip) was around half that amount?
Old Jul 15, 2011, 3:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAPlat; *Gold; Hyatt Diam; SPG Plat; PWP goddess
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
Could it be that they give you $50 per day in breakfast credit and my total (with tip) was around half that amount?
Yes, this has been my experience at that property!^
Old Jul 15, 2011, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by iluv2fly
I stayed at the Andaz Wall Street this past week.

When they gave me the breakfast bill, I added some $ for a tip (on the line that says "tip"). Thinking that I would be charged for the cash tip I left on the bill, I was surprised that nothing appeared on my bill at checkout except for the room, the ridiculous NY taxes and my one room service charge.

This has been my experience as well, although this is at the HR Santa Clara. I believe you get somewhere between $35 and $38. Most of the time I end up seeing my tip on the folio but there have been times when I remember my bill being smaller than usual and then there's no charge for breakfast.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 1:24 pm

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by Often1
Think that you are missing the distinction. The tip is included (and calculated and paid by the property to the wait staff). You added an extra amount and it is that extra amount which is not included. As noted above, some properties don't get caught up in this and simply write off the extra tip as well.

If you don't want to leave the wait staff a couple of bucks, don't feel obligated to because they are already receiving something from the property.
On the contrary, I would never assume that a tip has been paid to the server unless it (or a service charge) is explicitly printed on the receipt. Having seen how haphazardly many Hyatts handle the processing of Diamond breakfasts -- many don't remove the charges until checkout -- I think it's very unlikely that anyone is making the effort to retroactively tip servers.

In nearly every Hyatt where I've been given a breakfast check, I've included a tip, and had most or all of the tip taken off the bill at checkout. This has been true of at least the HR Rochester, HR Columbus, HR Chicago O'Hare, HR Chicago McCormick Place, and those are only the ones I can remember off the top of my head.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 10:48 am

Programs: AA EXP/MM, HGP ♦; former elite in Hilton, Marriott & DL (just under MM thanks to Leo)
Originally Posted by dtremit
On the contrary, I would never assume that a tip has been paid to the server unless it (or a service charge) is explicitly printed on the receipt. Having seen how haphazardly many Hyatts handle the processing of Diamond breakfasts -- many don't remove the charges until checkout -- I think it's very unlikely that anyone is making the effort to retroactively tip servers.
+1

I had a great server last year in the Andaz West Hollywood. I added a 20% of bill tip on top of what I guessed the included tip may be, totaled, signed and never saw a line item on my bill. At checkout it was too late to find the server-- I kicked myself for just not handing him cash and thanking him for making it special for me and my now spouse.

I now carry extra cash for extra tips and never total these bills. I just sign it and write something like "diamond, breakfast included" across all the entry lines. Extra cash for special or extra service.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
HR Irvine was going to charge me the tip this morning until I pulled up the GP Brekkie rules and it was then promptly waived. Had never had this issue in multiple other stays at this property.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 10:37 am

Programs: Military Space-A, UA Plat, AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by mersk862
HR Irvine was going to charge me the tip this morning until I pulled up the GP Brekkie rules and it was then promptly waived. Had never had this issue in multiple other stays at this property.
I have ALWAYS had to leave a tip at this property. In fact, the server at one visit said, "The certificate includes everything except gratuity. Thank you."
Old Jul 17, 2011, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Originally Posted by slocouple
I have ALWAYS had to leave a tip at this property. In fact, the server at one visit said, "The certificate includes everything except gratuity. Thank you."
I've always charged to the room. Breakfast buffet comes out to around $21, then I'll add the line item tip in so it's a total bill of around $25. Everytime prior to today, the full $25 has come off the bill at checkout.

Granted, I haven't been to this property for about 4-5 months, but I was staying there weekly over the winter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.