Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt house (Summerfield) - San Diego/Carlsbad REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2011, 7:52 pm
Original Poster

In a word: Wow.

To elaborate: Certainly not your typical Summerfield Suites. This place has style.

Background: Apparently this was previously Inn of America Suites. I don't know anything about this predecessor.

Very low occupancy during my one night, a Sunday (no evening reception). $98 AAA w/breakfast (?) rate.

Arrival: Right off I-5 at Cannon Road (exit 48). Don't let your GPS take you elsewhere. The area, west of the highway isn't much to look at, and most of the commerce is a mile away at an outlet mall. Car is essential. Real shopping and eating is more like two miles. Looking up and down the street, it looks like an industrial park - not a terribly uncommon setting for a Summerfield Suites. Ample parking, at least during my stay. I'm an architecture know-nothing. The building does NOT look like any Summerfield Suites I've EVER seen. Spanish style, appropriate to locale. Imposing view from the parking lot side. I really didn't know it was a hotel. (A hundred year-old train station? Maybe one of those pricey downtown Santa Barabara hotels.)

Reception: Pleasant, efficient. Offered Diamond amenity without asking. Front desk person commented on my SPG Amex. Yeah, I know I need a Hyatt card. Quick intro to hotel layout and breakfast program. No "droning on and on" as if I'd never been in a hotel before. ^

Hotel: Interior is mix of "the usual" with a Spanish style in some furnishings and fittings. Tile floors. If you've been to Hyatt Westlake Village, it's a bit like that. Small fitness center with two t-mills, elliptical and bike. All brand new top-line Life Fitness. Pool, sitting, eating areas (with two shiny grills) looked inviting. The only other guests I saw on check-in day were out there.

Room: Nice, if small, kitchen just inside front door; all new. Location is a bit odd, but... Next, a bar-style, narrow table with two padded bar stools, and a half table built into opposite hallway wall. Main room has couch and an ottoman across from bed. Desk, lamp. HVAC worked with reasonable noise level. Counter and sink outside bathroom. Sink is colorful, in a Mexican style. HSIA (wireless) worked very well, even at the far end of the hall. There's a television (of course); I don't watch, so I can't comment; it seems like it would be a bit hard to watch from bed or parts of the couch, since the TV doesn't swivel very far. Looking forward to bedtime.

Bonuses: Local newspaper.

Bottom Line: I feel like I'm staying in a much more stylish, resort-y hotel than a utilitarian (?) Summerfiled Suites. Recommended.
Old May 23, 2011, 2:04 am

Programs: Krisflyer (SQ) Gold Membership, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, Accor Platinum and Hilton HHonors Gold
The interior looks like Hyatt Place. However, you have more privacy, dining table and kitchen. With that kind of rate, I guess it is excellent deal!
Old May 23, 2011, 11:04 am
Original Poster

It looks like a Hyatt Place? It doesn't look like any of the 70+ HPs I've visited. Nor like any of the 30 SSs.

Looking at the website photos, photo #2 (tiled floors in lobby), #3 fireplace...even the "art"work reflects a local aesthetic. Agree, the room photos (and the rooms) aren't all that exciting. And the exterior photo looks more standard and industrial than my impression.

A few extra notes, now that my stay is over. Fitness center also has free weights and a universal machine. Staff was universally pleasant, welcoming and good-humored. No billing problems.
Old May 23, 2011, 11:19 am

Programs: Krisflyer (SQ) Gold Membership, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, Accor Platinum and Hilton HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by 365RoadWarrior
It looks like a Hyatt Place? It doesn't look like any of the 70+ HPs I've visited. Nor like any of the 30 SSs.

Looking at the website photos, photo #2 (tiled floors in lobby), #3 fireplace...even the "art"work reflects a local aesthetic. Agree, the room photos (and the rooms) aren't all that exciting. And the exterior photo looks more standard and industrial than my impression.

A few extra notes, now that my stay is over. Fitness center also has free weights and a universal machine. Staff was universally pleasant, welcoming and good-humored. No billing problems.
That's what I mean... just the room look similar to Hyatt Place. But the exterior, lobby etc is really good. ^^^
Old May 23, 2011, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

I only stayed in one room (of course), but there is certainly more room-to-room variation than at a typical HP. The room in the pictures has a large, separate kitchen; mine was built into an entry hall. And so the space in the total room is reallocated.

In any event. I'm looking forward to hearing the impressions of future guests. (The term "future guest" almost certainly includes me.)
Old May 23, 2011, 1:49 pm
Community Director Emerita

It's nice to have a report about a local property, and to learn of its sub-$100 rate. I checked just after it entered the Hyatt family. It was $179 at that time, no matter the day of the week that I checked.
Old May 23, 2011, 2:48 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Thanks for the review - you even beat me to by posting this review before I even put it on the Master Property List!!!
Old May 23, 2011, 3:39 pm
Original Poster

I'm looking forward to a stay - sometime- at the new/near - Hyatt Summerfield Suites San Diego/Sorrento Mesa. But it'll be hard not to come back here, since Sorrento Mesa looks like a typical Summerfield Suites (former Woodfin Suites)
Old May 23, 2011, 4:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Diamond, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by 365RoadWarrior
I'm looking forward to a stay - sometime- at the new/near - Hyatt Summerfield Suites San Diego/Sorrento Mesa. But it'll be hard not to come back here, since Sorrento Mesa looks like a typical Summerfield Suites (former Woodfin Suites)
As one who is in SD once a month I just found the Sorrento Mesa location (along with the other two properties that were acquired - SF and LA). I must say that given the location and my need to be more central to SD, I will very much give the Sorrento Mesa location a try. It is a welcome option when the other full service properties are priced out of my range due to events, etc. The issue I have with Carlsbad is location relative to downtown SD. It is a 1/2 drive (without traffic for me).

However, with that said Carlsbad is a nice property. I have stayed there three times (including the grand opening party night) in the last 6 weeks and 365RoadWarrior's review is spot on. I have had a studio, one bedroom and one bedroom conference suite that offer plenty of space. A couple of points to keep in mind. First, there are train tracks on one side of the property so try to avoid it and stay on freeway side as it is quieter. Second, the building seems to be wood construction rather than concrete so you hear the noise and footsteps above you. As the property is very close to Legoland it attracts many families. My one stay had what seemed like a heard of elephants above me until 11pm. Advice is to stay on the top floor.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 3:35 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, airline free agent
Any thoughts on this hotel vs the Hyatt Place/Vista? They both seem to get good reviews. Planning a trip to Legoland with wife and daughter. Price is about the same so any advice would be helpful. Thanks.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 6:35 pm

Programs: La Quinta Elite IHGSPIRE HH Diamond BW Diamond Hyatt Diamond
Hyatt House Carlsbad has a full kitchen in the room if that is important to you. HH also still had the complimentary evening reception Monday through Thursday when I was there earlier this year. This consisted of pizza, salad, beer, wine, etc. It was different every night.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 7:08 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by HSaxa
Any thoughts on this hotel vs the Hyatt Place/Vista? They both seem to get good reviews. Planning a trip to Legoland with wife and daughter. Price is about the same so any advice would be helpful. Thanks.
Hyatt House is closer to Legoland and closer to the ocean, as well as restaurants in Encinitas and Carlsbad.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 4:19 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond AA Platinum
Staying here tomorrow for a night and Hyatt Place Carlsbad the following 2 nights. Usually stay at the HP while out there, but wanted to give this HH a try for a night since the rate was virtually the same.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 11:11 am

Just noticed that this property is charging $10 extra for double occupancy. I always thought standard practice was to charge extra for more than two guests. Did I miss something?
Old Oct 8, 2015, 8:45 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Not a Successful Stay!

Stayed here for one night cashing in my annual cat 1-4 from the Chase Hyatt credit card. We were given 1 Bedroom Conference Suite with sleeper sofa, full kitchen, complimentary breakfast, and Wi-Fi. Suite was huge with ample space for our family of 4. Hotel looks charming with ceramic tiles throughout.

Called the Diamond line to reserve and specifically requested an odor/dust-free room because of our allergies. We arrived at the property just before 9 PM Saturday night after a drive from Orange County and were given a room (Room 315) that reeked so bad of weird chemical smell (disinfectant maybe?). Notified the front desk immediately who was clueless and sent "an engineer" an hour later at 10 PM. The only solution was to open the windows and turn on the noisy AC' fan. Between the smell and the noise we barely slept. The kids coughed all night long. If it wasn't so late, I would have checked out and sought different accommodations. The front desk should have walked us to another property (I believe there is a Hyatt Place in the area) as she told me that this one was fully booked. Talking to her was like talking to a robot - no concern whatsoever!!! The breakfast experience was a whole another problem but nothing comparing to the miserable night we spent there!

At checking in the breakfast area was pointed to us as it was located behind the front desk, but no one mentioned that breakfast will be closed at 10 AM on SUNDAY! We got down to breakfast around 9:45 AM and after getting food for the kids, my wife went to order her omelet. The short-order cook for the omelet station was upset that we were "late" in ordering and chastised my wife!!! I went and told him that that was not necessary as we did not know that the breakfast closes at 10 AM on SUNDAY! There was not much food to eat and the fruits were very bad (no wonder on one touch them) and the abuse on the hand of the staff was not appreciated. If we would have known this in advance, we have gone and ate outside and ate in a relaxed ambiance. The food is not the issue here but the treatment. We were there to relax and to attend a cousin's house warming party in the area that Sunday and there was plenty of food there.

In summation, this is one of the worst hotel stays ever - hurried up lousy breakfast, abusive treatment, and accommodations (nauseating odor) that are not worthy of the Hyatt quality that we are used to at Orange County, Asia, or elsewhere.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.