Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Thinking of Moving From Hilton - Seeking Advice

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2011, 8:41 pm
Original Poster

Hi All,

I'm currently an HHonors Gold member but am growing tired of mattress hopping to keep my stay credits up. My travel patterns just aren't heavy enough to keep me gold without some serious contortions. Furthermore, I'm discovering my HHonors points to have very little value.

I'm seriously considering moving my business to Hyatt. My understanding is that the Chase Visa card would grant me "permanent" Platinum status. (Please correct me if I misunderstand.) I presently have the Amex HHonors Surpass card, which doesn't offer the same benefit. While GP Platinum isn't quite as good as HHonors Gold, I'm hoping it will meet my principal requirements.

On the GP site, it indicates that Platinum members are entitled to receive the best room within the category booked. Does this actually happen? I know I won't be upgraded to a suite at Hyatts, but will I consistently receive rooms of notably better quality as a Platinum?

Secondly, I've also enjoyed the free breakfasts I receive as an HHonors Gold member. From my research, however, it looks like AAA members (I am one) can get free breakfast at most Hyatt properties. Is this true? Does the benefit given to AAA members compare with Hilton's free breakfast for golds?

Finally, after researching my normal travel destinations, it appears that I'd be staying in a lot of Hyatt Place's going forward. How do these compare with Hilton's Garden Inn brand (my current preference)?

Thanks for your patience in answering these questions. I'd also really appreciate any other feedback you might be able to offer as I consider my next move. Is there something I'm missing?
Old Feb 22, 2011, 9:11 pm

Hi PhillyInvestor. I switched to Hyatt from Hilton last year and couldn't be happier. Having to complete 16 stays for HH Gold is tough when Hyatt Platinum requires 5 stays and SPG Gold requires 10. As far as benefits go, I think you're definitely better off switching.

On to your questions....

Yes, if you have the Hyatt VISA, you will have Platinum membership for as long as you keep your card. If you will be staying at Hyatts, you'll likely reach Platinum on your own anyway. Plus with every 3rd stay, you'll receive a Platinum Extras award. The more you stay, the more the value of your awards will increase.

Regarding the rooms, Diamond members are upgraded to Regency/Grand Club floors. I'm not 100% on this, but I think Platinums would be upgraded to the highest floor not on a Regency/Grand Club floor. I don't know that the rooms would be any better than ones on a lower floor but perhaps the views would be nicer? Someone else may have to answer this portion.

Many Hyatts do offer AAA breakfast rates so that would definitely help you there, but it is not always available. Also, the rate does not include gratuity. When I was HH Gold, the free breakfast was continental breakfast. If you get a AAA breakfast rate at Hyatt, that will apply to hot breakfast in the hotel restaurant.

Hyatt Place rooms are pretty spacious, minus the closets. Overall the rooms are fine. Nothing awesome but more than adequate. In my experience, there is little to no difference between Hyatt Places. The lobbies are the same and the rooms are the same. The continental breakfast at HPs leave a lot to be desired. Many members often skip breakfast there completely.

Hope that helps!
Old Feb 23, 2011, 5:44 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Agreed with keno. Want to elaborate a bit more though. Best room in category does not mean best non-suite room but can be a higher floor, quieter etc. Also won't get you to ocean front when booking a garden view at resorts for example. The upgrades are very subtle. Also you mention lots of anticipatedHyatt Place stays - there aren't really any upgraded rooms in a Hyatt Place.

AAA breakfast isn't always running - seems like most of the time.

IMO the best part of Hyatt Plat is the free Internet.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 7:41 am

Programs: Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott // WN, AA, BA, UA, AS // Avis
I've been a relatively frequent Hyatt Place person..

I like them a lot. never stayed at Hilton's Garden Inns, but I like HP more than Holiday Inns, by far.

I actually think the breakfast options are ok. Not amazing, but good enough to keep me happy.

Free internet is very nice. I also like the fact that there is a LOT of consistency throughout the HP locations. Most are newer hotels and generally very clean and pleasant. The rooms are pretty comfortable.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 9:27 am
Original Poster

This information is fantastic--thank you so much for taking the time to fill me in.

Definitely interested in hearing thoughts on Hyatt Place vs Hilton Garden Inn. I've only stayed in one HP and was really impressed with the rooms. I'd miss the hot breakfast that HGI offers (and it is free for HH Golds), though. Is HP targeted more towards the Hampton Inn demographic, or HGI (or somewhere in between)?

Regarding point accruals, the vast majority of Hiltons these days seem to be in the middle point-redemption tiers. Even the Hampton Inn near my home in Provo, Utah is a Category 4 (30K points/night). And this is for an older, highly-forgettable, budget-branded property!

After spending several hours reading posts on this forum and elsewhere, my sense is that Hyatt points are worth quite a lot more--that a handful of stays at a HP could yield a free night at a really remarkable property. Is that a fair statement?
Old Feb 23, 2011, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by PhillyInvestor
After spending several hours reading posts on this forum and elsewhere, my sense is that Hyatt points are worth quite a lot more--that a handful of stays at a HP could yield a free night at a really remarkable property. Is that a fair statement?
Staying at HP alone won't give you enough points to redeem at the mid to higher end properties.

Staying at HP while a promo is running is where it's at because some properties have sub $100 rates. While you won't accrue a lot of base points at HP, the stays will count towards the promotions. Depending on the promo, you could see a really nice ROI. Without promos, it would be really time consuming and tough to earn enough points to stay at a nice property if you only focus on staying at HPs.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 3:01 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, CO Elite
I would say that it is much easier to earn enough points for redemption at a Hyatt Place compared to a Hampton Inn since most HP's are Cat 1 or 2. If you can get a G bonus with your HP stay, then its possible to get a pretty decent room at a full service property. The nice properties start at Cat 4 and up.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 6:00 pm

Using SPGs (outdated) comparison chart, this is a really good post that breaks down a lot of info across the major hotel chains.

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/loyalt...-major-update/
Old Feb 23, 2011, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by PhillyInvestor
Hi All,

I'm currently an HHonors Gold member but am growing tired of mattress hopping to keep my stay credits up. My travel patterns just aren't heavy enough to keep me gold without some serious contortions. Furthermore, I'm discovering my HHonors points to have very little value.
Points are like currencies. One Hyatt Point has a different value (higher) than a HHonors Point, but you need to factor in award redemption costs and earnings rates (just as with currencies... cost of living, average income) for a fair comparison. For example, if I used a Hyatt VISA at my grocery store or gas station, I'd earn one point per dollar. With my HHonors Amex I earn six points.

Even though I am a Hyatt Diamond and only HHonors Gold, I do like earning HHonors points. I have used them for nice vacation stays in the past.

I'm seriously considering moving my business to Hyatt. My understanding is that the Chase Visa card would grant me "permanent" Platinum status. (Please correct me if I misunderstand.) I presently have the Amex HHonors Surpass card, which doesn't offer the same benefit.
Not sure if you reach that spend level, but with $20k Amex spend you get HHonors Gold.

If you have five stays with Hyatt, you get Platinum and don't even need the card.

Secondly, I've also enjoyed the free breakfasts I receive as an HHonors Gold member. From my research, however, it looks like AAA members (I am one) can get free breakfast at most Hyatt properties. Is this true? Does the benefit given to AAA members compare with Hilton's free breakfast for golds?
You have to book a AAA rate that includes breakfast.

Finally, after researching my normal travel destinations, it appears that I'd be staying in a lot of Hyatt Place's going forward. How do these compare with Hilton's Garden Inn brand (my current preference)?
I like Hyatt Places. Every room I have been to had a 42" LCD TV with quite a few actual HD channels. There is also a panel to hook up a computer or media player to the TV, if you want to watch your own media.

Most HGIs I have been to were nice, too. I like the "suite-ish" layout of the HP rooms better. More space. One downside is that the TV placement often makes it hard to watch from the desk.

As Peter pointed out, the internet is the best benefit for many for Platinum members. At Hyatt Places, it's free for anyone, so status IMO really does not matter at those properties. Even GMs or non-members get free breakfast and internet. As for the breakfast, IMO it's not terrible, but a notch below HGI.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 12:44 pm

Location: Since the BoSox and ChiSox won it, now it is the Cubs turn to take the Series. Go Cubs Go!
Here are my observations of the two programs. I primarily stay with Hilton, but Hyatt is my second choice for a hotel loyalty program. Hyatt has some very nice high end properties, especially in Asia. The best benefits come with Diamond status which gives you free room upgrades, upgrades to the Club floors or free breakfast, and free internet access. You are also issued 4 suite upgrade certs for stays up to 7 nights. You must complete 25 stays or 50 nights. Hilton's Gold status gives you similar benefits, but you do not get suite upgrades and only get access to the lounge floors, if you are upgraded to the Executive floors. Earning HHonors Gold requires 16 stays or 36 nights. By using the Hilton AMEX card for Hilton stays, you will quickly rack up points, and you can maintain Gold status with $20,000 in annual spending. I think Hilton Gold status is the best mid range status in a hotel loyalty program. Granted, Hyatt's Platinum status requires fewer stays, but the upgrade is more subjective, and the guaranteed benefit is internet access.

The disadvantage to Hyatt hotels is their limited locations. Do a comparison of the Hyatt hotels in London versus Hilton branded hotels, and the number of Hilton branded hotels in the world is massive. Where Hilton really excels is at its numerous international locations which often have Executive lounges, which even provide free alcoholic beverages unlike in its US hotels. In the end, it comes down to what fits your travel patterns. Hyatt may be a better match for you if you are simply staying at Hampton Inns, and you find a good rate at a Hyatt which you like.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, all. This is great feedback. I have to say that you're among the friendliest FlyerTalkers I've ever enountered! ^
Old Feb 25, 2011, 9:10 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
for what it's worth I am Hilton Diamond as well as Hyatt this past year I am going to "consolidate" to Hyatt and Marriott. ( I am Life time PLT with Marriott).

I am finding that Hyatt's program is far superior to Hilton oh be the fewer properties. But the redemption to the higher end Park's makes my wife very happy!
Old Feb 25, 2011, 4:35 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Hilton Diamond
Moving to Hilton from Hyatt

Have not done any major comparisons as to which offers more/better point earning options, but my decision to move to Hilton is that I am tired of staying at the Hyatt Place. Stayed there over 70 nights last year and it just does not offer enough at the hotel. I did earn Diamond pretty quickly there. The local Hilton near where I work just seems to offer more. It is all a personal decision in the end.

I agree with a previous poster that the hyatt specials (like the great 10K last year) are the major way to earn points when staying at a hyatt place. For $60/night, I was not getting a ton of regular points. That special made all the difference. Got up to 120,000+ points fast that way.

Hilton gave me a gold status match and a I wil earn diamond with 21 more nights (which for me will be fast). We will have to see how the base points plus specials works out.

P.S. I am writing this from the Park Hyatt in Beaver Creek, CO. With my points - Got three rooms for 2 nights (kids in own room and brother and his wife in another). They upgraded all of us upon arrival to mountain facing rooms. Also got free higher end wi-fi, spa access, free gifts sent to the room (I chose three beers and a fruit plate), and free hot breakfast buffet. That breakfast would have cost $150 for the five of us this morning and another $150 for tomorrow!!! Beautiful place - btw. Highly recommended, especially when the rooms and amenities are paid for with points :-)
Old Feb 25, 2011, 5:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Scott the Traveller
I am tired of staying at the Hyatt Place. Stayed there over 70 nights last year and it just does not offer enough at the hotel.
This is the sense I'm starting to get. I hope someone will feel free to chime in with differing opinions, but the sense I'm getting from my research is this:
  • The full-service Hyatt brands seem to be a cut-above the competing brands offered by Hilton (better service and nicer facilities)
  • Gold Passport Diamond members receive perks and benefits exceeding anything that Hilton offers it's Diamond members
  • Redemption options are better with GP than HHonors
  • HHonors Gold is superior to GP Platinum
  • Since my business travel primarily takes me to mid-sized and smaller markets, I'd be staying nearly exclusively at Hyatt Places if I make a switch.
  • Hyatt Place, as a brand, is primarily targeted towards the Hampton Inn and Holiday Inn Express crowd, as opposed to the demographic that typically stays at a Courtyard or Hilton Garden Inn.
  • Much as is the case with Hampton Inn's treatment of Gold/Diamond HHonors members, HP doesn't really offer anything to GP elite members

Anything I'm missing?
Old Feb 25, 2011, 5:58 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Hyatt is clearly a cut above
Hilton Diamond is not a good as it use to be
redemption is far superior
HH Gold IS NOT superior
yes on Hyatt Places ( not too bad)
they do offer a little more to elite members

Here's the bottom line, If you intend to use your points and status to stay at much nicer hotels, i.e. PH then go for it !

I am using my points for Paris and Milan freely and getting great rooms

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.