Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Dusseldorf - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Dusseldorf - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2011, 5:53 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Do not confuse the fruit plate and wine with the Diamond Amenity, both should come as a normal perk of a suite in Germany...

Great pictures ! ^
Old May 11, 2011, 1:55 am

Originally Posted by FD1971
Do not confuse the fruit plate and wine with the Diamond Amenity, both should come as a normal perk of a suite in Germany...

Great pictures ! ^
And what was the diamond amenity?
Old May 11, 2011, 3:04 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by youhavebeenupgraded
The wine and the 5 cookies I believe.
Old May 12, 2011, 7:35 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Originally Posted by youhavebeenupgraded
Either the wine ( often also offered as a standard amenity of a suite at a Hyatt International location ) or the well known Diamond amenity offered in many international locations... nothing.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 3:22 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
any recent experiences?

Now the hotel has been fully open for a few months, does anyone have any recent experience?

I am on a small German tour next month and could stay here or Cologne (also Berlin and Mainz)... anyone compare the two?

tempted to stay here to compete the German set of Hyatts, but leaves me with a slightly longer drive the next day than would Cologne...
Old Oct 23, 2011, 2:50 pm

Location: LH SEN, SPG Gold(SCI Gold), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Stewie Mac
Now the hotel has been fully open for a few months, does anyone have any recent experience?

I am on a small German tour next month and could stay here or Cologne (also Berlin and Mainz)... anyone compare the two?

tempted to stay here to compete the German set of Hyatts, but leaves me with a slightly longer drive the next day than would Cologne...
I would rate DUS higher than CGN, exept for the pool which is clearly missing.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 5:13 am

Programs: BA GGL, FB PLAT, TK ELPL, HYATT GLOB, HILTON DIAM, IHG SPIRE EL
As there are few comprehensive reviews of Hyatt Regency DUS so far, I'll add a summary of my stays:

Located somewhat remote in the Media Harbour but not too far away from the city center - the hotel is easily accessible from DUS airport via local train S11 (the HR is a 10 minute walk or 5 minute taxi ride away from the Voelklinger Strasse station).

The HR building is one of two identical 18-story office towers. The two top floors are RC rooms with the club lounge on the 18th floor.

Make absolutely sure you end up in an upper floor room that does not face the other office tower. Half of the rooms do face the other tower which is actually used as an office building.
The side you're on really makes a huge difference and I imagine it wouldn't be quite as nice to look at an adjacent office (complete with office workers on weekdays) compared to the pleasant panorama of DUS and the Media Harbour.

If you are not a Diamond/Platinum member, you would have to pay ~ 20% extra (view room category) or book a club room for ~ 40% extra (view not guaranteed).
I am highlighting this because I have seen guests who politely asked front desk staff for a room with a better view and were expressly advised they must pay for it even though there were plenty of view rooms available.
Plats should be upgraded to available view rooms for free.

The best non-suite rooms are Club Deluxe View rooms but you have to make sure again to get one on the correct side of the building. They do not qualify as Junior Suites and are therefore in the Diamond Upgrade inventory. You might have to ask for them though as the usual upgrade seems to be a standard Club room with view.
A Club Deluxe View room is much nicer and worth asking for.

The hotel itself occurred to me as very well designed and extremely classy for a Hyatt Regency. A bit like a cross between an Andaz and a Grand Hyatt downscaled to a Regency product. The floor to ceiling windows that can be opened in a very clever and secure way are awesome.

No Bang & Olufsen here but nonetheless a good deal above Mainz and Cologne in terms of interior quality.

The Regency Club is a really cool one too with great panoramic views and a sometimes sursprisingly good wine selection in the evening (found a 2002 Schloss Reinhartshausen Riesling there for example). Other than that, the Regency Club evening goodies are on par with Mainz and Cologne.

The restaurants are good as well and always seem pretty solidly booked.

So far so good - the downsides:

• The service in general was not always up to Hyatt standard (e.g. serious housekeeping issues you wouldn't expect in any Euro Hyatt), especially when the hotel was full.

• never received any Diamond Amenity or welcome card there (even after mentioning it to the GM)

• No word on when the Portico White Ginger toiletries will be replaced. Whoever came up with the brilliant idea to go for Portico White Ginger in a German Hyatt should be made to use this seriously smelly stuff for the rest of his/her career. Berlin has Aveda, Hamburg L'Occitane, Mainz and Cologne have standard issue Waterl'eau products. Why on earth do we get this WHITE GINGER chemical weapon grade toiletries in DUS?

• no pool

• not located in the very heart of DUS

• If you end up on the wrong side of the building, you might be quite disappointed.

Conclusions:

If I had to choose between DUS and Cologne at the moment with all things being equal (distance to venue, rate, room type), I would choose Cologne mainly because the risk of experiencing erratic service is much lower in Cologne.

Unlike Hyatt Cologne, DUS also seems to attract a lot of locals who sometimes behave like they own the place (very annoying) or have never stayed in a luxury hotel before (less annoying).

Once the service becomes more consistent and other remaining glitches are sorted out, DUS is still likely to become my favorite hotel in the Rheinland.

Given the apparent rate of progress right now, this might take a while.

Last edited by Nachtmeister; Dec 22, 2011 at 8:41 am
Old Sep 21, 2012, 9:41 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz 5*, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
Whirlpool closed

Anyone know about the closure of the whirlpool in the spa? It's been closed for a few months already..
Old Jan 8, 2013, 9:10 am

Seeing a lot more mixed reviews in this thread than I was expecting. I've got a 2 night stay in Dusseldorf next week and booked both the Dusseldorf Hyatt Regency (diamond) and the Blu Media Harbour (gold). Thoughts on which reservation to keep?
Old Jan 8, 2013, 10:16 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I'm quite sure you will get better treatment at the HR Dusseldorf as a Diamond. Being Gold with CC normally doesn't mean much, but the Blu has normally lower rates. The 2for1 is almost a steal.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 10:18 am

Programs: Military Space-A, UA Plat, AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by lowimpact
Seeing a lot more mixed reviews in this thread than I was expecting. I've got a 2 night stay in Dusseldorf next week and booked both the Dusseldorf Hyatt Regency (diamond) and the Blu Media Harbour (gold). Thoughts on which reservation to keep?
If you have a bunch of Club Carlson points, the Radisson Blu is nice, but felt very different from the Hyatt. Now, mind you, we stayed at the Radisson on points, and just walked into the Hyatt. The Radisson felt very spare and Scandanavian, and the Hyatt felt far more opulent and Hyatt-like. The Radisson was a good redemption for us, as the rates in town were high, but we decided we'd choose the Hyatt if in town again.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by slocouple
If you have a bunch of Club Carlson points, the Radisson Blu is nice, but felt very different from the Hyatt. Now, mind you, we stayed at the Radisson on points, and just walked into the Hyatt. The Radisson felt very spare and Scandanavian, and the Hyatt felt far more opulent and Hyatt-like. The Radisson was a good redemption for us, as the rates in town were high, but we decided we'd choose the Hyatt if in town again.
Thanks for the info - currently at 1 night at the Dusseldorf Blu (€84+10k) & 1 at the Dusseldorf Hyatt (12k award since it's only cat3!). Thanks to your post I'll try to make it 2x Hyatt nights. Looking forward to using my Hyatt Gourmet Club certs at DOX
Old Jan 9, 2013, 8:03 pm

Programs: Military Space-A, UA Plat, AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by lowimpact
Thanks for the info - currently at 1 night at the Dusseldorf Blu (€84+10k) & 1 at the Dusseldorf Hyatt (12k award since it's only cat3!). Thanks to your post I'll try to make it 2x Hyatt nights. Looking forward to using my Hyatt Gourmet Club certs at DOX
I think you'll be happy at the Hyatt. Both properties are in Media Harbour, which is a bit non-central, but very architecturally interesting. Allow yourself time for a neighborhood walk.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 1:28 am

is the minibar in the suite for free ?
Old Jan 16, 2013, 6:47 pm

suite Upgrade

Decided to book an "impulse stay" here for DH in November during Medica... wanted to use points but, alas, not available (not surprising). Fortunately if he goes for a full week got a steal of a rate and was able to use suite upgrade (had 3 ready to expire soon). So for $150Euro ai per night got him a suite... what are the suites like here? Think it's going to be King Regency Suite. Now to see if I can go too.
TIA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.