FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Hyatt Tier (Status) Matching (Challenge) Information - 11/10(ended 10/31/14) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1145611-hyatt-tier-status-matching-challenge-information-11-10-ended-10-31-14-a.html)

Gold Passport Concierge Nov 8, 2010 12:36 pm

Hyatt Tier (Status) Matching (Challenge) Information - 11/10(ended 10/31/14)

Dear Flyertalkers,

Hyatt Gold Passport no longer participates with the tier matching program. In select cases, a trial offer may be proposed at the discretion of the individual hotels' sales department.

Sincerely,
Chrissi R.

{EDIT: The "old" status matching program may be found at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt...r-11-10-a.html }

lucky9876coins Nov 8, 2010 1:06 pm

Thanks for the info, Chrissi. While I status matched earlier in the year and am now a loyal Hyatt customer, I am curious, does this mean that there won't be challenges anymore either for those with credentials from a different loyalty program? So would a Starwood Platinum with evidence of their stays get a "stay X times in X days and retain Diamond through the end of the year" offer, or not?

ftv Nov 8, 2010 2:08 pm

About two months ago I requested a status match from IC Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, and SPG Platinum to Hyatt.

Hyatt never bothered to respond. Is this why I didn't receive the courtesy of even a rejection telling me Hyatt doesn't want my business?

hw807 Nov 8, 2010 2:12 pm

Could be a bad news for the person who waited for sm...

carrotjuice Nov 8, 2010 2:43 pm

Slightly OT, not quite status match. I wrote in this post that Hyatt declined to upgrade my wife's status, because she didn't have any (having been on prolonged maternity leave prior to returning to work) while Marriott did so in a heartbeat.

Now 70+ nights at Marriott SIN and counting... none for Hyatt. Really, the people who make these decisions ought to calculate the potential business that could be lost before doing so.

amgt123 Nov 8, 2010 2:56 pm

Hyatt has diluted their own elite status over the last couple years with the many ways of obtaining Diamond status. This is a move to set the balance back to not having too many Diamond members / people who just 'hit and quit' once they get Diamond status. I favor this move.

bmw303 Nov 8, 2010 3:12 pm

I dont know. As someone who status matched to Diamond 1 year ago, Hyatt won.

I've given Hyatt over 40 nights since the match. Had Hyatt not matched me, I would not have stayed at Hyatt. So matching me made sense for Hyatt. But on the same note, as someone who has used up my status match, I welcome this :D

ftv Nov 8, 2010 6:17 pm

Do you speculate this was a gender-based decision? Or just stupidity on Hyatt's part? Glad to hear Hyatt lost all that business, they won't even give me the courtesy of a rejection letter. Marriott here I come!

Originally Posted by carrotjuice (Post 15100014)
Slightly OT, not quite status match. I wrote in this post that Hyatt declined to upgrade my wife's status, because she didn't have any (having been on prolonged maternity leave prior to returning to work) while Marriott did so in a heartbeat.

Now 70+ nights at Marriott SIN and counting... none for Hyatt. Really, the people who make these decisions ought to calculate the potential business that could be lost before doing so.

oc2005 Nov 8, 2010 6:58 pm

It makes a lot of sense for Hyatt to at least temporarily stop most Diamond status matching with the two suite nights for diamonds for the credit card signup going on. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people are status matching just to get the free two suite nights with no intention of staying with Hyatt longer term.

One thought on a fair way to have a one time status match for legitimate new customers who actually want to switch their business to Hyatt: what if you could qualify for Diamond for the current year if your total stays/nights already stayed plus total future booked non-refundable stays/nights the current year guaranteed you will make Diamond? So for example if you already have 15 nights stayed the current year, if you have 35 additional non-refundable nights booked the current year, then you get Diamond now rather than having to wait. I doubt many people would take advantage of this, and those who would are the ones who really plan on switching their nights to Hyatt.

kenbo Nov 8, 2010 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by oc2005 (Post 15101473)
It makes a lot of sense for Hyatt to at least temporarily stop most Diamond status matching with the two suite nights for diamonds for the credit card signup going on. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people are status matching just to get the free two suite nights with no intention of staying with Hyatt longer term.

Good point. That makes sense.

I've been very happy with Hyatt since coming over from Hilton. Even if I can't re-qualify for Diamond after 2012, I should be able to get Plat pretty easily and try for as many Platinum Extras Awards that I can get.

FriendlySkies Nov 8, 2010 9:02 pm

Interesting news, but I am glad I switched to Hyatt from Marriott. I was matched to Platinum, and have been enjoying the program since I moved over. I look forward to earning Diamond next year!

PhillyPhlyer40 Nov 9, 2010 6:17 am

Originally Posted by Gold Passport Concierge (Post 15099200)

Hyatt Gold Passport no longer participates with the tier matching program.

:td::td::td:

Originally Posted by oc2005 (Post 15101473)

Does it? I dont think so. Lets look at it a different way...what does Hyatt lose-2 suite certs. What does Hyatt gain???

1-A potentially new customer
2-Credit card fee
3-Points "fees" sold to the credit card company
4-A chance to show a frequent traveler (obviously, as they are Diamond/Plat/Etc with another program) their "best"-someone who stays very few, if any, nights a year in a Hyatt

Originally Posted by bmw303 (Post 15100224)
I dont know. As someone who status matched to Diamond 1 year ago, Hyatt won.

I've given Hyatt over 40 nights since the match. Had Hyatt not matched me, I would not have stayed at Hyatt. So matching me made sense for Hyatt. But on the same note, as someone who has used up my status match, I welcome this :D

I used to be Hilton/Marriott. Thanks to status matches, 4 years ago I became SPGplat/Hyattdiamond and have kept my MRplatpremier. Had it NOT been for the matches, I would not have been SPG/Hyatt. Today, I make Hyatt diamond with about 40stays. So, my thinking is that this is a HORRIBLE decision! :rolleyes: to Hyatt!

FD1971 Nov 9, 2010 6:51 am

Originally Posted by PhillyPhlyer40 (Post 15103997)

Does it? I dont think so. Lets look at it a different way...what does Hyatt lose-2 suite certs. What does Hyatt gain???

1-A potentially new customer
2-Credit card fee
3-Points "fees" sold to the credit card company
4-A chance to show a frequent traveler (obviously, as they are Diamond/Plat/Etc with another program) their "best"-someone who stays very few, if any, nights a year in a Hyatt

It is a very sensible issue.

While on one hand, FFN, suite upgrades for everyone, comping everyone able to use Photoshop generates additional business, the international division has always been a little bit more 'reserved'...

It is amazingly difficult to cater to all those different demographics ranging from a father who frequents the $ 49 Hyatt Place Atlanta-XY twice a month on a weekend, when he visits his kids after a divorce to the Courtesy Card holder, who does not need a suite upgrade, because he stays in one on 200 nights a year at the Park Tokyo anyway...

As pointed out numerous times, there are quite some people who do not agree with the simple fact that FFN will get you any hotel, that a credit card application gets you a suite at a Hyatt for free etc.

Considering that certain people are responsible for keeping up a certain, partly, super-luxurious image , they are probably right being a little bit more reserved towards certain 'freebies and goodies'

Under the bottom line, if you are really serious about switching to Hyatt, a challenge should not turn you away...

peteropny Nov 9, 2010 7:10 am

Originally Posted by FD1971 (Post 15104163)
Under the bottom line, if you are really serious about switching to Hyatt, a challenge should not turn you away...

I'll agree with this although think that it should be managed by "corporate" GP and not individual properties since many of their "target" customers travel and stay in hotels in various cities (in the country and often all over the world) possibly without concentration at any one property that could warrant being "challenged" by a property. Perhaps approaching the challenge in a way similar to the interim step - but a bit less stringent than the 12 nights in 60 days might be the better way to handle this.

Thunderroad Nov 9, 2010 10:15 am

Originally Posted by lucky9876coins (Post 15099410)
Thanks for the info, Chrissi. While I status matched earlier in the year and am now a loyal Hyatt customer, I am curious, does this mean that there won't be challenges anymore either for those with credentials from a different loyalty program? So would a Starwood Platinum with evidence of their stays get a "stay X times in X days and retain Diamond through the end of the year" offer, or not?

I'd be interested in the answer to this question also.