Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Baha Mar - REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Grand Hyatt Baha Mar - REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Old Jun 19, 2014, 12:00 pm

Last edited by angatol; Mar 1, 2015 at 1:43 am
Old Jun 19, 2014, 12:18 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

No official communication about the opening date.... and they normally don't open reservations before they communicate that (and then it's quite normal to postpone the date). So I would figure it will still take a while.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 3:45 pm

The websites are still saying December 2014, and I remember reading an article several months back about them supposedly starting to take reservations in July of this year, but you know how that goes.

If everything is still on schedule for their target opening date, then I'm sure it won't take too much more than a month or two before they start booking rooms. I'm looking to take the family there next year, so I'm anxious to see what the rates are going to be...to see if I can afford it!
Old Jun 20, 2014, 11:25 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by carnalismocc
The websites are still saying December 2014
What websites? Not the official one.....
Old Jun 21, 2014, 12:25 am

Originally Posted by RTW1
What websites? Not the official one.....
No, the official Grand Hyatt Baha Mar website doesn't mention any date, but the Baha Mar Resort website still says December 2014.

http://www.bahamar.com/welcome-to-the-new-riviera/

Also, pretty much every article written about the resort still mentions the December 2014 opening date...even the most-recent articles too. I'm hoping to stay there in late April or early May 2015, but we'll see how everything works out.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 5:10 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I don't even believe what's on an official website about opening dates... let alone some site maintained by a project developer where everything is always just dandy until they go bust.
I highly doubt anything will open at that date, these things never do on time. But who knows :-).
Old Jun 21, 2014, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by RTW1
I don't even believe what's on an official website about opening dates... let alone some site maintained by a project developer where everything is always just dandy until they go bust.
I highly doubt anything will open at that date, these things never do on time. But who knows :-).
Well, hopefully they at least open sometime around or a little after December. I'd like for them to be open a few months before visiting. Are you looking at visiting too? We've never been to the Bahamas, but just seems like one of those resorts you have to see in person!
Old Jun 21, 2014, 12:03 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Hotel opening dates tend to be very, very optimistic when published. And things normally are not that great shortly after opening.

And as much as I would like to have more Hyatt's in the Caribbean, after seeing the pictures... this is definitely a resort I won't be visiting. Personally I fail to see the attraction to travel this far and then end up in a 700 room property surrounded by other large hotels. But I can also see the attraction for others.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 2:42 pm

Programs: SQ TPP, BA Gold, Hyatt Life Glob, SPG/Marriott Life Plat,
I went past this place a number of times this week. There are large banners hung on the building saying 'Opening December 2014' and while it is impossible to see how it looks internally that looks ambitious. They certainly won't have finished all the buildings on the complex by then.

They do have a lot of people on it though. If you had the smog you would think you were in Shanghai.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 10:40 pm

Still been hoping for some more news on this. Looks like the Hyatt website says Spring 2015. Anyone have more info?
Old Aug 4, 2014, 10:44 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat
Soft opening in Dec but I hear that the ownership is not pushing to take early reservations. I cannot imagine that things will be buttoned up by New Years. There's too much on the line to screw it up, so they'll most likely not take reservations until Spring (Same with the BahaMar and Rosewoods). More info here: http://www.tribune242.com/news/2014/...a-mar-delayed/
Old Aug 4, 2014, 11:05 pm

Well that's disappointing, had been looking at this for a winter (Feb) retreat but looks like I'll have to move on and keep searching
Old Aug 5, 2014, 10:35 am

This is too bad...I was hoping to take the family there in late April or early May of next year, and while it may very well be open by then, I was hoping it would've been open several months by the time we went in order for them to have worked out any kinks. Hopefully my Plan B destination opens in time...Hyatt Playa del Carmen (SUPPOSEDLY opening in late December of this year.)

By the way, in case anybody is interested, one of the Baha Mar Resort properties seems to be taking reservations already (the Rosewood) for dates in May 2015 and beyond.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 11:13 am

Programs: Hyatt diamond
I always wonder what "kinks" everyone is referring to when a new property opens!
I have often stayed at properties when they first opened and have not found any kinks that would have made my stay less enjoyable.
On the contrary, the response from the staff has always been more expedious in correcting minor problems but nothing major as making me reconsider my choice of being one of the first to stay at a new property.

I have often found more kinks at properties that have been opened for a longer time.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by suite2suite
I always wonder what "kinks" everyone is referring to when a new property opens!
I have often stayed at properties when they first opened and have not found any kinks that would have made my stay less enjoyable.
On the contrary, the response from the staff has always been more expedious in correcting minor problems but nothing major as making me reconsider my choice of being one of the first to stay at a new property.

I have often found more kinks at properties that have been opened for a longer time.
The few times that I've stayed at newly-opened properties (within a month or so of opening), oftentimes the staff (while perhaps properly-trained for their position) seem to still not be on top of things. Yes, normally issues get corrected, but I'd rather give them more time to get used to the influx of guests. I understand that even at older properties, we'll encounter new and inexperienced employees from time-to-time, but it's just a personal preference to wait a bit longer after they've been open longer.

Plus, with this particular property being so large (with five hotels), and apparently now opening up in phases, just seems like that might lead to more potential issues in the first months of operation. I could be wrong, but I'd rather pass on this property until perhaps the following year.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.