Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SEATTLE - Grand or Olive 8 ??

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2014, 2:40 pm

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Originally Posted by ldsant
I lived between both of them for many months this year. I would choose the Olive 8 each time. The rooms are nicer, the pool and spa are lovely, the breakfast at Urbane is really good (you can order from the menu), and upgrades are easier imo.

Both have a great location. Everything is within walking distance; if you stay at Olive 8 ask for Britney at the front desk - she is lovely! Molly as your server at Urbane Feel free to PM me if you need further information.
Thank you.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 5:59 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold
I have stayed at both and would choose the Grand Hyatt. I suppose it's personal preference. The Urbane restaurant breakfast at the Olive 8 was odd. The place was very dimly lit. When we walked in we thought they weren't open. When we got our meal they gave us one piece of toast each. The Grand Hyatt rooms seem nicer and if you can score a corner room they are very sweet.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 6:41 pm

Last edited by angatol; Mar 1, 2015 at 12:48 am
Old Nov 24, 2014, 3:29 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Originally Posted by Jeeves
I have stayed at both and would choose the Grand Hyatt. I suppose it's personal preference. The Urbane restaurant breakfast at the Olive 8 was odd. The place was very dimly lit. When we walked in we thought they weren't open. When we got our meal they gave us one piece of toast each. The Grand Hyatt rooms seem nicer and if you can score a corner room they are very sweet.
I think you're right re: this being a personal preference. I love the Olive8 because of the staff. They are warm, gracious, knowledgeable, and efficient. Try and get Brittany at check-in and ask for Anya or Greg if there is an issue. The three of them are the folks where "nothing is ever an issue."

As far as Urbane - are you sure you are talking about the same restaurant? It's not dimly lit and they would only give you one piece of toast if that is what you ordered. Matt and Cathy run the restaurant so ask for them the next time you have an issue. Some of the best servers and bartenders are found at this restaurant imo. Plus the two chefs Christian and Nick will be happy to accommodate whatever you want (talk about NICE!)

This is what I mean by personal preference
Old Jan 29, 2015, 12:35 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Could not decide, so I'm doing one night at each back-to-back during spring break in March. Will report back on the current states of each property!
Old Jan 30, 2015, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Both are nice. The grand feels a bit more like and old fashioned hotel with a modern touch. The olive feels more botiqueish, but both are great. I'd give an edge to the olive.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 1:41 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP
I really liked the room at Olive 8 once I got settled. I did not really care for their room service options- the Grand had better selection and less weirdness- like Olives on the burger.. gross
Old Feb 3, 2015, 4:13 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, A3*G, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Lufthansa Frequent Traveller
Stayed at both properties during thanksgiving weekend.
First night at O8, second at GH, and third at O8 for the late year mattress run.

All three nights we were upgraded to a suite with early check-in and late check-out.
On the third day, I occupied suites in both properties for a couple of hours

Our first morning we had breakfast at Urbane and the crab benedict was delicious!
I remember reading a blog (lucky or gary?) hyping it up and it certainly lived up to the hype.

We moved over to GH for Thanksgiving day and had some sushi at the lounge before heading to Ruth's Chris for Thanksgiving steak (You can room charge Ruth's Chris but you don't earn GP points, FYI)

We then headed back to O8 for our third night and the following morning they let us have brunch for our breakfast benefit at the Urbane.

I highly suggest diamond members to hotel hop if in Seattle!

Last edited by qmiles321; Feb 3, 2015 at 4:55 pm
Old Mar 13, 2015, 8:40 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Just stayed at both on consecutive nights, so I feel pretty well-qualified to answer.

Facilities: GH by a mile. The location is better (closer to Westlake station and slightly downhill from the O8). The lobby and building of the GH are both much classier in my opinion and they have a more relaxed, "zen" feeling than the O8. The O8 is more sterile and kind of felt like an Element or new-build Hyatt Place to me.

Pool/Spa: GH again by a decent margin. Everyone raves about the O8 spa and pool. While the pool was ok at the O8 (nice saltwater lap pool), the jacuzzi was shallow, tepid, and had the weakest jets I've ever seen. It was like sitting in a lukewarm baby pool. The jacuzzi at the GH is the best I've encountered at a Hyatt, and I loved hanging out there at the steam room (also quite lovely) and sauna as well.

Room: GH again wins. Was not upgraded as a Diamond at either the GH or the O8, contrary to a lot of reports here. The basic room at the GH was a nice, standard room with a lovely view, quiet, very nice shower (dual shower nozzles, awesome!). The basic room at the O8 was considerably inferior. Connecting, loud room, could hear everything going on next door. The shower was terrible in comparison to the GH. Standard bathtub/shower combo, which I detest, and low-pressure nozzle.

Service: GH wins here so forcefully that it's like the 1927 Yankees beating up on the 2013 Astros. I never felt welcome in the least at the O8. Almost everyone from start to finish (except the lovely woman at the front desk when I checked out) was brusque, unwelcoming, and generally just weird. I've never felt like I've been completely unwanted at a Hyatt before until now. Service at Urbane was absolutely atrocious. Everyone at the Grand was welcoming, warm, and friendly, which is quite important to me as a Diamond, and especially because I don't "look" like a typical Diamond (not a business traveler, younger, tend to dress down, look like a backpacking hipster, which I basically am).

Obviously, the Grand is where I'm staying the next time I'm in Seattle.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 2:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by nineworldseries
Just stayed at both on consecutive nights, so I feel pretty well-qualified to answer.

Facilities: GH by a mile. The location is better (closer to Westlake station and slightly downhill from the O8). The lobby and building of the GH are both much classier in my opinion and they have a more relaxed, "zen" feeling than the O8. The O8 is more sterile and kind of felt like an Element or new-build Hyatt Place to me.

Pool/Spa: GH again by a decent margin. Everyone raves about the O8 spa and pool. While the pool was ok at the O8 (nice saltwater lap pool), the jacuzzi was shallow, tepid, and had the weakest jets I've ever seen. It was like sitting in a lukewarm baby pool. The jacuzzi at the GH is the best I've encountered at a Hyatt, and I loved hanging out there at the steam room (also quite lovely) and sauna as well.

Room: GH again wins. Was not upgraded as a Diamond at either the GH or the O8, contrary to a lot of reports here. The basic room at the GH was a nice, standard room with a lovely view, quiet, very nice shower (dual shower nozzles, awesome!). The basic room at the O8 was considerably inferior. Connecting, loud room, could hear everything going on next door. The shower was terrible in comparison to the GH. Standard bathtub/shower combo, which I detest, and low-pressure nozzle.

Service: GH wins here so forcefully that it's like the 1927 Yankees beating up on the 2013 Astros. I never felt welcome in the least at the O8. Almost everyone from start to finish (except the lovely woman at the front desk when I checked out) was brusque, unwelcoming, and generally just weird. I've never felt like I've been completely unwanted at a Hyatt before until now. Service at Urbane was absolutely atrocious. Everyone at the Grand was welcoming, warm, and friendly, which is quite important to me as a Diamond, and especially because I don't "look" like a typical Diamond (not a business traveler, younger, tend to dress down, look like a backpacking hipster, which I basically am).

Obviously, the Grand is where I'm staying the next time I'm in Seattle.
I read your post in the Olive 8 thread. It seems to me your stay might have been an outlier, I've stayed at both of these numerous times.

I always give the O8 and edge, but the GH is very nice too. Has an older more mature feel vs trendy - but both are good.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 7:05 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Gold...
Can't go wrong with either. Both are nice properties with great customer service and varying views from the rooms. For me, it just depends on my mood. Because of my Diamond status, sometimes the free breakfast (up to 4people) is nice at Olive 8. Or sometimes I'll take advantage of the possibility of a complimentary corner suite upgrade (like this last weekend) from the GH. Always weigh out the daily rates between the two properties. This last weekend I stayed at GH for $139 a night and received a complimentary Top Floor Corner Suite. So, in this case forgoing the free breakfast at Olive 8 made more sense.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 9:47 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
What's the deal on breakfast at both? I love smoked salmon lox. I rarely eat what Americans & Brits are taught to call 'breakfast food.' I often plan to eat at 11 AM when most lunch/ dinner/ ethnic restaurants open. I don't eat eggs, but I can enjoy berry pancakes &or bacon/ real ham (not 'parts is parts') a few times a year
Old Mar 15, 2015, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by nineworldseries

Facilities: GH by a mile. The location is better (closer to Westlake station and slightly downhill from the O8).
I live in Seattle and my commute has me walk by both properties every day (twice a day). The hotels are literally half a block apart. Grand Hyatt > Pine St. > Paramount Hotel > Olive 8 > Olive St. Perhaps a 90 second walk if you hit the light on Pine at the wrong time. Otherwise 30-45 seconds.

O8 only has an entrance on 8th (hence the "Olive 8" name), while GH has an entrance on both Pine and 7th. I suppose GH might be closer to Westlake if you went out the exit on 7th, but we are talking a difference of 500' or so.

I have never stayed at either so I can't comment on any other observations about the properties besides the location (which for all intents and purposes is the same). From the outside, O8 is a more interesting building (all glass).
Old Mar 16, 2015, 4:28 pm

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Originally Posted by Brendan
What's the deal on breakfast at both? I love smoked salmon lox. I rarely eat what Americans & Brits are taught to call 'breakfast food.' I often plan to eat at 11 AM when most lunch/ dinner/ ethnic restaurants open. I don't eat eggs, but I can enjoy berry pancakes &or bacon/ real ham (not 'parts is parts') a few times a year
you order at the restaurant at the Olive 8, so the massive plate in most RCs of salmon doesn't exist there.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 11:45 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Service: . . Everyone at the Grand was welcoming, warm, and friendly, which is quite important to me as a Diamond, and especially because I don't "look" like a typical Diamond (not a business traveler, younger, tend to dress down, look like a backpacking hipster, which I basically am).
FYI - your definition of "backpacking hipster defines about 65% of the people in this city. It's nothing special and the attitude in Seattle is one of "I don't care what you do as long as you're not hurting anybody else."

As far as weird; again, it's part of the way in which you see things and how you act towards others. After living here for 25 years I don't find people weird but perhaps if you go in with that type of attitude it is returned by others?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.