Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

The Hyatt Rewards Card from Chase (WIKI)

Old Sep 3, 2013, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
This version of the Hyatt card (with its 2 free nights offer) has been discontinued as of June 29, 2017.

There is a new version.

See this thread
:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyat...ed-2018-a.html

__________________________________________________ ___________________________

What are the benefits of the card?
  • 3 points/dollar spent at Hyatt
  • 2 points per dollar spent at restaurants, airfare, car rental
  • 1 point for all other charges
  • No foreign exchange fee
  • Annually, on renewal, one free night at up to a category 4 hotel and is valid for 12 months
When will I receive the sign up bonus?
Typically a day or two after the close of the billing cycle in which you reach spend threshold.
When do the signup points from this card offer expire?
If you have no activity on your Hyatt account for 24 months your points will expire.
Can I apply for this card and earn the bonus after doing so previously?
See the wiki and related discussion in Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward.
It's a Chase Card. Does that mean that if I have more than 5 new open lines of credit in 24 months, I will be automatically denied?
This card is not currently under the 5 cards in 24 months Chase application restriction.
It looks like the Hyatt website will let me use my anniversary category 1-4 cert for any property, including those above category 4. Is this for real?
No. Even if the system accepts your attempted reservation, the property will not honor the cert at check-in. Accept the fact that your cat 4 cert is just that.
Can I use my anniversary category 1-4 cert at a higher-category property with a cash co-pay? By paying the difference in points? By asking nicely?
No. No. No.
Can I use my annual free night cert for a suite or Club-level room, possibly with a cash or point copay?
Officially, no. But there's no harm in contacting an individual property directly to see what they're willing to do.
If I close my card account, do I lose any unused points or annual free-night certificate?
No. Unused points already in your Hyatt account as well as the annual free-night award remain available in your Hyatt account regardless of the status of your Chase card.

Questions related to the (now expired) 2 Free Night card offer:

When do the signup bonus free-night awards for this card expire?
The awards expire one year from the date of deposit (typically the date on which the required spend is met, which may fall in the middle of a billing cycle). All stays must be completed by the expiration date.
When I view my free-night awards, why is the button to start the redemption/booking process missing?
You no longer need to go through the My Awards page to book a free-night cert. Simply start the booking process as if requesting an award stay using points.
When I try to book a multiple-night award stay, why does the Hyatt website show availability for points redemptions but not for Free Night Awards?
You will need to redeem the free-night certs one at a time in separate single-night reservations if you want to do it online. For example, if you want to book the Park Hyatt Sydney for December 14-16, you will book the night of the 14th to 15th as one stay, and then repeat the process for the night of the 15th to 16th. Otherwise, call Hyatt to make the booking.
If I can't use my free-night award by the expiration date, can I exchange it for points or get the expiration extended?
According to the FT Hyatt GP Concierge, as of January 22, 2016, there are 2 options for compensation for the initial (all-category) Free Night Awards:
  • Platinum guests: Hyatt offers 10,000 points per Award if the Member has had 5 eligible stays or 15 eligible nights in the previous 12 months. The 10,000 points per award exchange can only be done after the award night has expired. (This is the opposite of the old rule, which required the award to be unexpired.) Members have up to 90 days beyond the expiration of the unused award night to exchange for points.
  • Diamond guests: Hyatt offers 20,000 points per Award if the Member has achieved Diamond status by achieving 25 stays or 50 nights or completing a trial tier offer within the last 12 months. The 20,000 points per award exchange can only be done after the award night has expired. (This is the opposite of the old rule, which required the award to be unexpired.) Members have up to 90 days beyond the expiration of the unused award night to exchange for points.
These policies will reportedly remain in effect after the March 1, 2017 transition from Hyatt Gold Passport to the new World of Hyatt program.

Anniversary Awards valid in Category 1-4 hotels are not eligible for extension. (This is the opposite of the old rule, which allowed a one-time 30-day extension.)
Can I use the sign-up free night cert for a suite or Club-level room, possibly with a cash or point copay?
Officially, no. But there's no harm in contacting an individual property directly to see what they're willing to do.
If I close my card account, do I lose any unused free-night certificates?
No. Unused free-night awards remain available in your Hyatt account regardless of the status of your Chase card.
Print Wikipost

Old Mar 1, 2015, 1:42 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Thanks, I'll keep trying.

Update - worked in incognito mode

Last edited by beachfan; Mar 1, 2015 at 2:00 pm
Old Mar 3, 2015, 5:51 am

Unhappy No free nights on 2nd Hyatt churn

I know Amex has changed their T&C's so that you can only get a bonus once for credit card sign up but is chase doing the same thing or is this only for the Hyatt card.

I canceled my Hyatt card in 2012 after receiving the 2 free nights. I applied for the card and met the spending requirement in 2014. When I asked chase where are my 2 free nights this is the response I received.

Please be advised that all enrollment bonus offers are reserved for first time members only as stated in the terms and conditions of the application for enrollment offers. For this reason, I regret to advise that the above account does not qualify for any additional enrollment bonuses.
What a shame as I really enjoyed using the free nights I received and my wife received for 4 nights in the Maldives and wanted to return.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 6:14 am

The Hyatt card has had that in the T&C for quite some time now, well before AmEx moved to similar.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
On chase.com it says:

FREE NIGHTS AT HYATT PROPERTIES, WORLDWIDE*
Receive 2 FREE NIGHTS after making $1,000 in purchases within the first 3 months with the Hyatt Credit Card. This bonus offer is available to you as long as you have not received a new cardmember bonus for this product in the past 24 months. (my bolding)

Did you meet the 24 months waiting period? If so I would call them back.

This is in contrast to the Marriott card where you will never receive the initial free night more than once:

Free night stay after account opening
This one-time bonus offer is valid only for first-time Marriott Rewards Credit Card Cardmembers. Previous and existing Marriott Rewards Credit Card Cardmembers are not eligible for this bonus offer.

Last edited by philemer; Mar 3, 2015 at 9:47 am
Old Mar 3, 2015, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by Melchar
The Hyatt card has had that in the T&C for quite some time now, well before AmEx moved to similar.
Not true just checked again.
As philemer notes it just says no bonus in past 2 years. Same is true for Chase Southwest credit cards.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 1:16 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
Originally Posted by philemer
On chase.com it says:
FREE NIGHTS AT HYATT PROPERTIES, WORLDWIDE*
Receive 2 FREE NIGHTS after making $1,000 in purchases within the first 3 months with the Hyatt Credit Card. This bonus offer is available to you as long as you have not received a new cardmember bonus for this product in the past 24 months. (my bolding)
Just to add - you must have cancelled your prior Hyatt card (cannot have 2 Hyatt cards). This is in contrast to Citi, where where you CAN have 2 of the same cards and receive a new bonus after 18 months from the previous one.
No 2 "active" of the same cards with any Chase cards.

Last edited by Paulchili; Mar 3, 2015 at 5:52 pm
Old Mar 3, 2015, 4:51 pm

Is this still two suite nights for Diamond members? Or did they take that benefit away?
Old Mar 3, 2015, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by sedubby
Is this still two suite nights for Diamond members? Or did they take that benefit away?
That's been gone for years.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by Paulchili
Just to add - you must have cancelled your prior Hyatt card (cannot have 2 Hyatt cards). This is in contrast to Citi, where where you CAN have 2 of the same cards and receive a new bonus after 18 months from the previous one.
No 2 "active" of the same cards with any Chase cards.
And all of this is laid out in extensive detail in the resource listed in the wiki above.

For the record, I am currently the proud owner of two new Hyatt certificates identical to the ones I earned a little over two years ago. You absolutely can churn this card and its bonus.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 11:55 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
Originally Posted by beltway
And all of this is laid out in extensive detail in the resource listed in the wiki above.

For the record, I am currently the proud owner of two new Hyatt certificates identical to the ones I earned a little over two years ago. You absolutely can churn this card and its bonus.
Great. I will give it a try.
The reason I posted my comment is that I just tried for a second IHG card (after many years) and was flatly denied because of already having one (and told by this particular CSR that this was the case for ALL Chase card - his words, not mine). This IHG card had similar disclosure to the Hyatt one - "This bonus offer is available to you as long as you have not received a new cardmember bonus for this product in the past 24 months." My IHG card is several years old.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 5:55 am

Originally Posted by Paulchili
Great. I will give it a try.
The reason I posted my comment is that I just tried for a second IHG card (after many years) and was flatly denied because of already having one (and told by this particular CSR that this was the case for ALL Chase card - his words, not mine). [...] My IHG card is several years old.
This rule is discussed clearly in the wiki for http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...solidated.html, and has been there for some time:
Great! So if I received the same card more than 2 years ago, I can apply again and get the bonus, right?

No. Apart from the normal considerations (such as your credit rating), there are three key considerations:
  • If you still have your old card of the same type, you're ineligible. [...]
Old Mar 4, 2015, 6:27 am

the 24 month period may be the issue

The 24 months are measured not from the date of your previous application (or approval date, if different), but instead from the date you received the bonus on the previous card, which may be 3-4 months later than the approval date.
So my card was approve in Sept of this year and my nights were awarded in Oct 27 2012. Looks like I hit 1K spending requirement on Oct 16 2014. I'm going to reply to chase for them to confirm the reason since the T&C's state 24 months and see what happens.

I guess worst case cancel the card and and reapply in a couple of months and I should get the 2 free nights correct?

Last edited by kmcbrid2; Mar 4, 2015 at 7:05 am
Old Mar 4, 2015, 8:05 am

Programs: United, delta, AA, Alaskan, Frontier, Hilton Gold, Hyatt, Chase Sapphire
Will this work?

Used the 2 nights in Oct. of 2014. Pay the AF which is due this month to get the Cat. 4 hotel and then cancel the card before the next AF. Then reapply for the card after 2 years of using the 2 free nights. This is a crazy game. Sorry if this is a stupid question.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 9:17 am

Programs: DL, AA
Originally Posted by shanna135
Used the 2 nights in Oct. of 2014. Pay the AF which is due this month to get the Cat. 4 hotel and then cancel the card before the next AF. Then reapply for the card after 2 years of using the 2 free nights. This is a crazy game. Sorry if this is a stupid question.
Looks like it's a 2 year wait from when you RECEIVED the free nights, not when you USED the free nights. So it would be earlier. But other than that, yeah seems like that should be fine.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 5:33 am

Programs: AA PLT

does the timing of when you close your hyatt card impact ability to churn? it's been more than 2 years since I got my bonus but the card is still open. if I cancel today, am I eligible to churn immediately or is there some period in between required?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.