Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WASHINGTON DC: Hyatt Choices?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2012, 9:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Neither Crystal City nor Arlington has a lounge. CC has a free airport shuttle; it's almost the closest hotel to that airport. Arlington is on top of the Rosslyn Metro station, which is a pretty large and sometimes confusing station, but no transfers are needed to DCA. The PH is about six blocks from the Metro, but again it's no transfer to DCA and in fact is the first stop on that line in the District, so it's quick and easy too.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 2:09 pm

Washington DC - Hyatt Regency or Grand Hyatt

Booking in DC for 3 nights, have Diamond Status and both hotels are available for using a confirmed suite upgrade voucher.

Price per night at Grand Hyatt is only $30 more than at the Hyatt Regency Capitol Hill.

Any recommendations on which is better location and property given the price difference?
Old Aug 27, 2013, 4:19 pm

Unless it has been closed, there is a fire station across the street from the Hyatt R. that tends to make runs with sirens blaring at 3am.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 5:32 pm

If you are planning on using the Metro to get around, the Grand Hyatt, which has inside access to a Metro station (Metro Center) is a lot easier than the Hyatt Regency, IMHO. I have stayed at both in the last year or so, but not in a suite so I can't speak to the actual rooms.

Metro Center is a hub station, so that is a factor to consider, too. Easy to change from one line to another.

I usually take the Metro when I am in town as I am traveling by myself (female) and it's pretty cheap, especially coming in from DCA, which is what I normally do.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 9:14 pm

Thanks for the info. We are large party and plan on getting around on Metro.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 9:25 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plt
I am a local and have stayed at both. Off season they're both good for a mattress run or a night in the District without the need to drive home.

The suites in the Grand have generally been nicer. The breakfast seemed better too. And as others have noted, the Grand is closer to the action (ish). Both require Metro rides to see the sites (sort of) - it depends on how hot it is and how far you really want to walk. (take the Metro -- better, take a taxi)

What are you planning on doing in DC? U street or H street? Eastern Market/Marine Barracks or Chinatown/Verizon center? The Grand is in a more walkable location to more of the historic sites but the HR has a pretty good deli across the street and is close to Union Station. The Grand is also going to be a lot more hectic/frenzied of a stay than the HR because of the location and size differences. The Grand has conferences - big conferences. The HR doesn't seem to or at least conferences that aren't nearly as large.

Anything specific?

Cheers and enjoy your stay in DC
Old Aug 28, 2013, 10:32 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
I have stayed at all 3 Hyatts in DC. My favorite is the Park by far, but since the OP did not ask about it, I will move on.

Both Hyatts do sometimes have conferences and can be full of crowds, sometimes of young, nocturnal and inconsiderate noise makers. I find soundproofing at both to be iffy. The HR I find meets the promise of being an HR -- mostly clean, quite comfortable, and a nice club room. The GH is possibly the most run down GH I have ever seen anywhere in the world. It desperately needs a refresh if not a full renovation. I do prefer the HR to the GH and it is a bonus that it is usually cheaper.

Enjoy DC. Do consider the PH. They have some really fantastic third night free offers that are not well publicized on the offer tab of their website.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 10:43 pm

Programs: AA Plat + SPG Plat
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Buster CT1K
The GH is possibly the most run down GH I have ever seen anywhere in the world. It desperately needs a refresh if not a full renovation.
I agree the Park Hyatt is lovely, but as you mentioned the OP didn't list that as an option. Regarding your note on the need for renovation, didn't the GH just complete a full renovation? (I don't know personally as I haven't been - just asking those who may have been recently.)
Old Aug 29, 2013, 6:17 am

Programs: DL Diamond 4MM, Hyatt CC, Marriott PP/LT Plat, AA ExPlat, Amex Centurion
Washington DC - Hyatt Regency or Grand Hyatt

Yes, the rooms at the GH have just been remodeled. I stayed there recently and my room was quite nice. But I too would pick the Park first out of the three.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 6:33 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plt
The PH is wonderful but even on a real good rate it is about ~3x as much as the best rates at either the HR or GH.

As for the GH rooms. I think they're fine. OP talked of a suite upgrade. That is a huge room at the GH. Big bathroom. Big tub. A nice room.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 9:41 pm

Programs: MRSPG LT Tit, HH Diamond, Hertz Pres.
For me, traveling with 2 adults, 3 kids over 2 rooms, Capitol Hill has a MUCH better lounge! Also walkable to the arena and some decent restaurants
Old Aug 30, 2013, 9:35 pm

Programs: AGR WOH
With a large party, it'll be easier to please everyone with the GH. The HR has a location convenient to Capitol Hill and Union Station (if arriving by train/bus) and has a nice boutique feel, but it's several boring blocks east of everything else.

That goes double for a weekend stay: Metro trains run infrequently on weekends, so access to more trains = better (and the GH is within 3 blocks of every Metro line). Since transit access is better at the GH, even getting to Eastern Market is probably faster from there.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Hyatt Diamond (no I will not use the new name), Marriott/ SPG lt Plat, JPM Reserve, Amex Plat
If that rate is close to within your budget spring for the PH, it is well worth the extra cost. I stay approximately 100 nights a year at DC area Hyatt's and stay at the PH whenever possible...

Moving on to the GH and HR, I would recommend the GH only if they will confirm you into a Grand Suite. The standard suite upgrade they will do is to a Conference Suite which is one of their standard rooms with an adjoining room laid out as a living room. It is not worth using a suite upgrade to be put in a Conference Suite.

The pro to the HR over a Grand Suite is the view from the HR suites, the ones I've been in there overlook the capital building which is nice. The Grand Suites at the GH don't have any real view. Other than the view Grand Suites and a regularly suite at the HR are pretty comparable.

Last edited by DErg; Sep 4, 2013 at 12:02 pm Reason: Haven't stayed since remodel...
Old Apr 29, 2015, 12:57 pm

I can use FTers collective wisdom on which Hyatt property is better for my upcoming stay.

We're going for 2 days in July for a short family vacation: 2 adults, 3 young kids (14, 9 6 yo).

We are mainly planning to do family sightseeing and activities. So we're looking to stay somewhere near the best attractions for kids. (Any advice on good things to see with kids is also recommended.)

I'm a Hyatt Diamond, FWIW.

Thanks
Old Apr 29, 2015, 11:56 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by lewinr
I can use FTers collective wisdom on which Hyatt property is better for my upcoming stay.

We're going for 2 days in July for a short family vacation: 2 adults, 3 young kids (14, 9 6 yo).

We are mainly planning to do family sightseeing and activities. So we're looking to stay somewhere near the best attractions for kids. (Any advice on good things to see with kids is also recommended.)

I'm a Hyatt Diamond, FWIW.

Thanks
I'd certainly take price into consideration (or cash and points if you're using it), but I think the Hyatt Crystal City has some benefits in that it has a shuttle to DCA so you may not need to rent a car. As a Hyatt Diamond, they have a very nice breakfast, and they gave me (Hyatt Diamond) a complimentary upgrade to a suite without using a DSU.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.