Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Fifth Avenue (NY) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Andaz Fifth Avenue (NY) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Sep 28, 2014, 2:06 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
I just did a one night stay here on Friday night, booked a regular room and was upgraded to a Splash Suite on the 4th floor. The Splash suite was nice and roomy and the high ceilings make the room look much bigger. Views were of the NY Public Library and Empire State Building. On the negative, a lot of outside noise, a rude awakening to returning Midtown after having pretty much exclusively been downtown at the Conrad which is pretty quiet relatively speaking on the weekend. Second, much as was the case at Andaz Wall Street, the curtains are not black out curtains leaving lots of light to come thru (for some that is not a big deal but I am one who likes it completely black). The bathroom was fantastic. I don't know if there was supposed to be stemware, but there was none. Nespresso machine was useful and I took advantage of the room service Diamond breakfast and the brioche french toast was pretty good as was the eggs, bacon and potatoes. My food was not as hot as I would prefer and even the coffee was more on the lukewarm side. I will comment that while breakfast was decent enough, it was rather overpriced if you are actually paying for it. In lieu of a business center there is one computer and printer downstairs for general use, which seems a bit on the light side.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 2:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Miesque
Views were of the NY Public Library and Empire State Building. On the negative, a lot of outside noise, a rude awakening to returning Midtown after having pretty much exclusively been downtown at the Conrad which is pretty quiet relatively speaking on the weekend.
The 5th Ave facing rooms are too noisy for me. It's particularly bad when they hold functions at the Public Library. This is not a midtown issue per se, I've stayed at plenty of midtown hotels that have proper noise insulation and thus no such issues.

I prefer Andaz downtown to this property, although the location is obviously much more convenient if you need to be midtown or higher.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 4:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, 2 mm, Marriott Gold
Complaining about the noise when staying in Midtown Manhattan is like complaining about the fog in San Fransisco, or having too much French Bread in Paris. The noise is part of the experience in being in "the city" Downtown Manhattan is considered more like a suburb to most New Yorkers, it's dead, too quite, you want noise and action stay in midtown.

Originally Posted by Miesque
On the negative, a lot of outside noise, a rude awakening to returning Midtown after having pretty much exclusively been downtown at the Conrad which is pretty quiet relatively speaking on the weekend. S.

Last edited by Radiant Flyer; Sep 28, 2014 at 4:20 pm
Old Sep 28, 2014, 4:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Radiant Flyer
Complaining about the noise when staying in Midtown Manhattan is like complaining about the fog in San Fransisco, or having too much French Bread in Paris. The noise is part of the experience in being in "the city" downtown Manhattan is considered more like a suburb to most New Yorkers, it's dead, too quite.
Have you ever actually stayed in a 5th Ave view room at this property? It is much louder than comparable midtown hotels.

FYI, the library often hosts events on Friday and Saturday nights, and it can be like having a rave right outside your window. Which might be tolerable if the rooms were properly sound insulated. Which they are not.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by Radiant Flyer
Complaining about the noise when staying in Midtown Manhattan is like complaining about the fog in San Fransisco, or having too much French Bread in Paris. The noise is part of the experience in being in "the city" Downtown Manhattan is considered more like a suburb to most New Yorkers, it's dead, too quite, you want noise and action stay in midtown.
Touche - You are mostly correct (and that is why I think I have become some comfortable staying downtown since I live in the country), but that particular noise level was well above that of other Midtown hotels I have been in. In fact, I am right now typing this comment on the 45th floor of the Hilton Times Square, surprisingly quiet.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Have you ever actually stayed in a 5th Ave view room at this property? It is much louder than comparable midtown hotels.

FYI, the library often hosts events on Friday and Saturday nights, and it can be like having a rave right outside your window. Which might be tolerable if the rooms were properly sound insulated. Which they are not.

It actually rather surprised me that there was not more sound insulated for a hotel of that caliber.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 6:51 am

Have another stay coming in this property next month. 3 nights. Unfortunately no splash suite available.

During our excellent stay in March, this was also the case but hotel management where extremely kind and made an exception, allowing us to DSU into a one bed Balcony suite on the 12th floor overlooking 41st. We have only praise from that stay. ^

Called hotel this time also, and it turns out I got to speak to the same manager as last time. Unfortunately, they are no longer confirming anything but Splash in advance, but would make a note in the booking so we might end in a suite, but chances are not great. That's absolutely fine of course.

Currently booked into an Andaz Loft. Online this looks like a rather nice mini-suite with bedroom and separate lounge/work area.
What would be the typical non-suite upgrade (highest category) Diamonds can expect? I'm asking as the separated work area is valuable due the trip being both for work and leisure. A very good friend is tagging along and we'll share the room, hence ideal with a slightly separated work space if buddy is lounging.

Also, are lofts on high or low floors?
Old Nov 7, 2014, 2:19 am

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
Originally Posted by Petrus
Have another stay coming in this property next month. 3 nights. Unfortunately no splash suite available.

During our excellent stay in March, this was also the case but hotel management where extremely kind and made an exception, allowing us to DSU into a one bed Balcony suite on the 12th floor overlooking 41st. We have only praise from that stay. ^

Called hotel this time also, and it turns out I got to speak to the same manager as last time. Unfortunately, they are no longer confirming anything but Splash in advance, but would make a note in the booking so we might end in a suite, but chances are not great. That's absolutely fine of course.

Currently booked into an Andaz Loft. Online this looks like a rather nice mini-suite with bedroom and separate lounge/work area.
What would be the typical non-suite upgrade (highest category) Diamonds can expect? I'm asking as the separated work area is valuable due the trip being both for work and leisure. A very good friend is tagging along and we'll share the room, hence ideal with a slightly separated work space if buddy is lounging.

Also, are lofts on high or low floors?
I'm having the same problem right now - no splash suite available for an upcoming 3-night stay, although several other suite types are available. Came to this thread to see if it might make sense to contact the hotel. Did you stay already? Did they make an exception?
Old Nov 9, 2014, 11:32 am

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
Has anyone stayed in a one bedroom terrace suite here? How do they compare to the splash suites? Does the bathroom provide some privacy?
Old Nov 10, 2014, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by Football Fan
Has anyone stayed in a one bedroom terrace suite here? How do they compare to the splash suites? Does the bathroom provide some privacy?
We stayed in a terrace suite, but never a splash suite so cannot compare. The terrace suite has a nice little kitchenette that we made good use of. The bathroom had two entrances - one from the living room and one from the bedroom. Both were able to be shut with doors.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 5:08 pm

Thank you very much, pickles1107.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 3:24 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, FPC Premier, UA Silver, Hyatt Explorist, SPG Gold
heads up! seems like there is increased (or perhaps "relaxed" to be more accurate) award availability for the next few weeks...
Old Nov 19, 2014, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by cdmca
heads up! seems like there is increased (or perhaps "relaxed" to be more accurate) award availability for the next few weeks...
I have noticed this property does seem to be tight with award availability as well as overall pricing in general until a few weeks prior. Granted there is a much higher level of this sort of thing in Manhattan during a high demand time such as December. I have been scoping out a potential stay Manhattan third week of December and I am starting to see the first round of "softening" in the Hyatt properties lagging the Hilton price decreases by about two weeks.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 4:24 pm

Programs: SPG Plt, Hyatt Diamond, DL
Originally Posted by cdmca

Unfortunately C+P availability doesn't seem to have changed much
Old Nov 30, 2014, 2:01 pm

Programs: SPG Plt, Hyatt Diamond, DL
At the Andaz right now - received a complimentary diamond upgrade form a standard King to a view King which overlooks 5th Avenue and the NY Public Library. Keep in mind it is Thanksgiving weekend and during check in the hotel was at near capacity. As previously mentioned, there is some decent noise from 5th avenue, however it has not bothered us at all, although we are biased as we grew up in NYC.

Room is very nice - modern with clean lines. Service is great. Complimentary wine from 6pm - 9pm in the lobby is def a nice touch.

$75 breakfast credit per day which is borderline considering NYC pricing. For example, My eggs ($20) with a side of bacon ($8), my wife's omelette ($23) with a side of fresh fruit ($13), two coffees for me ($10), a coffee for her ($5), and a glass of orange juice for me ($8), easily surpassed the allotted amount. We'll see if the total bill is taken off or if we are charged for anything in excess. Point is, for those expecting lavish multi-course breakfasts, or those interested in feeding more than two, please expect to pay. That said, the food is quite good.

Went to the 'Bar Downstairs' a couple nights ago for tapas and drinks. Food was good as were the drinks. Def a cool scene.

Overall, one of my favorite places to stay in the city, especially during the holidays given its proximity to major attractions.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.