Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Fifth Avenue (NY) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Fifth Avenue (NY) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2014, 4:36 pm
Used to be garyjr316

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, Gold Passport, Hilton HHonors, Marriott
points suite upgrade

We have a 3 night reward stay booked in June in a standard room. Would love to hear people's thoughts about whether or not it's worth it to spend the additional 15k points per night to upgrade to a suite. It's our anniversary so I'm surprising my wife.
Old Jan 18, 2014, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Get the suite. The standard rooms are pretty small here.
Old Jan 18, 2014, 5:29 pm

Programs: ex-Delta DM (NWA was nice while it lasted), Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Dad to GO
We have a 3 night reward stay booked in June in a standard room. Would love to hear people's thoughts about whether or not it's worth it to spend the additional 15k points per night to upgrade to a suite. It's our anniversary so I'm surprising my wife.
Get. The. Suite.

And yes, breakfast downstairs is totally worth it. I can only think of a handful of Hyatts where breakfast is actually worth what they charge, PH Tokyo, PH DC, and here, totally worth it.
Old Jan 18, 2014, 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by nhwiki
And yes, breakfast downstairs is totally worth it. I can only think of a handful of Hyatts where breakfast is actually worth what they charge, PH Tokyo, PH DC, and here, totally worth it.
This.

The bacon was so ridiculously good that my DW called & tried to find out how we could acquire some for home consumption. Short answer: it's custom-cured by a very particular supplier. (I'd even use the A-Word: artisanal.)
Old Jan 18, 2014, 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by Dad to GO
We have a 3 night reward stay booked in June in a standard room.
Neither 75,000 or 120,000 points for a three-day stay in location that has many alternative options without splurging one's recently-devalued goldpassport points is good value. Ever think why Hyatt stands out among the chains in NYC for requiring 48 cancellation notice? Well, some brands have amazingly dynamic pricing and to stay competitive often sell rooms at a really cheap price, especially for New York. You do not get double vanity and complimentary pancakes, rather a clean room and central location, but then again you save your points for Zurich or Tokyo or wherever your options would be much more limited. However, if you want to celebrate your special occasion - do go ahead and book a suite, but then don't tell her how you paid for it.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 4:24 am

Do the suites here have a free mini bar?
Old Jan 20, 2014, 6:13 am

Originally Posted by JunkDiver
Do the suites here have a free mini bar?
Minibar snacks & drink (except alcohol) are complimentary in all rooms.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by LilZeppelin
Neither 75,000 or 120,000 points for a three-day stay in location that has many alternative options without splurging one's recently-devalued goldpassport points is good value. Ever think why Hyatt stands out among the chains in NYC for requiring 48 cancellation notice? Well, some brands have amazingly dynamic pricing and to stay competitive often sell rooms at a really cheap price, especially for New York. You do not get double vanity and complimentary pancakes, rather a clean room and central location, but then again you save your points for Zurich or Tokyo or wherever your options would be much more limited. However, if you want to celebrate your special occasion - do go ahead and book a suite, but then don't tell her how you paid for it.

IMO (and IME) a suite at the Andaz is an excellent use of points as 3 nights at a suite in June = c. 2400 US. Is it as good a "value" for points as say Tokyo or Zurich? Maybe, maybe not. However, the OP is planning on being in NYC, not Tokyo or Zurich, which makes the Andaz 5th far more attractive/valuable for this particular trip.

Last edited by bdemaria; Jan 20, 2014 at 7:52 am
Old Jan 20, 2014, 8:29 am
Used to be garyjr316

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, Gold Passport, Hilton HHonors, Marriott
While it is a good "chunk" of points I am not really too concerned. We only take a few small trips a year (all domestically) and maybe 1 big trip (internationally)... of course I wish we had the money and could do more, but welcome to the real world with jobs and a new kid. Isn't the old motto to burn your points and not sit on them? The fact that the standard room cost is almost $400 and a suite is $700+ I think that I am getting a good value. NYC is expensive to begin with so saving money where we can works for me.

Question though... you say it's a waste of points etc, I am curious what your recommendation would be?
Old Jan 26, 2014, 6:18 pm

We booked a 5 night award stay at the Andaz for late Nov/early Dec pre-deval points. Just picked up Platinum status this week with Chase. From the above, I believe the recommendation is to Get. The. Suite. even though it'll run me about another 50k points or so. I'd like to get into a Splash Suite for the misses as she'll be exausted from our second child otw in April. Anything special Platinum membership will provide (my feeling is a resounding no) or other points to make note of prior to departure? Thanks!
Old Jan 26, 2014, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by nuclfusion
I'd like to get into a Splash Suite for the misses as she'll be exausted from our second child otw in April.!
It's not as if you choose the suite you want with points or diamond suite upgrades. It's the Splash suite that you get with the latter, so might be the same with points reservations. You might want to look into applying for a world elite mastercard, such as Virgin Atlantic one, to get free breakfast.

Last edited by LilZeppelin; Jan 26, 2014 at 6:38 pm
Old Jan 26, 2014, 8:42 pm

It's not as if you choose the suite you want with points or diamond suite upgrades. It's the Splash suite that you get with the latter, so might be the same with points reservations. You might want to look into applying for a world elite mastercard, such as Virgin Atlantic one, to get free breakfast.
The card won't get him free breakfast if he is booking the room on points - right?
Old Jan 27, 2014, 2:13 pm

Yeah I don't know how it would work. I do carry an Arrival card so I'm at least covered. Looks like the benefits of breakfast though are a one time per trip not per night sort of deal. Doesn't matter too much though as were using awards for flights and hotel but was curious :-)

Last edited by nuclfusion; Jan 27, 2014 at 5:06 pm
Old Jan 27, 2014, 5:26 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2 Million-miler , SPG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Upgrade to the suite; well worth it. Very nice hotel; great staff You will enjoy your stay
Old Jan 27, 2014, 6:00 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by nuclfusion
Yeah I don't know how it would work. I do carry an Arrival card so I'm at least covered. Looks like the benefits of breakfast though are a one time per trip not per night sort of deal. Doesn't matter too much though as were using awards for flights and hotel but was curious :-)
Ok I've looked at the details of your card and it looks like daily breakfast and $50 in additional restaurant credit. I take it that it must be booked through MasterCard - as such you may not earn stay credit / points. But then again you may like AMEX FHR (which this sounds like MC's answer). If you do this please report back your results.

I'm pretty sure the benefits are not for award stays just for stays booked through them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.