Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Fifth Avenue (NY) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Andaz Fifth Avenue (NY) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Dec 13, 2010, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by gleff
These are likely the same, electric curtain that I had no issue with.
This was an issue for me as well as the noise from 42nd st, - all things combined prevented from having a good night's sleep. Luxury, lifestyle - whatever, as long as you get your basics right, everything else will follow. Unless of course you stay to marvel at the bathroom?? The new rooms at Grand Hyatt got the blinds right, they seem to do the job. Perhaps the people redoing the Hyatt blinds should be called upon to update Andaz?
Old Dec 13, 2010, 1:50 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pclee
i am not sure why we are talking about 'luxury' hotels.
can we focus back to andaz 5th ave?
if you don't like the hotel just write your experience and walk away.
aren't you the ambassador of hyatt?
Thanks for your note.

I am one of those who has committed to giving flame-free responses in the newbie thread (and I try to do the same in other threads as well). My obligation is to FT, not to any travel supplier.

Hyatt has a great many hotels which I enjoy and look forward to returning to. That's probably why I spend so many nights each year at Hyatt hotels. But if there is a need for improvement, I think it's fair to point that out.

My hope is the Andaz mini-chain either can improve or, at the least, clarify that they do not wish to be judged as luxury (albeit casual or trendy) hotels. So far, I haven't seen a satisfactory result, but I remain hopeful that it will be resolved in the fullness of time.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Originally Posted by LilZeppelin
This was an issue for me as well as the noise from 42nd st, - all things combined prevented from having a good night's sleep. Luxury, lifestyle - whatever, as long as you get your basics right, everything else will follow. Unless of course you stay to marvel at the bathroom?? The new rooms at Grand Hyatt got the blinds right, they seem to do the job. Perhaps the people redoing the Hyatt blinds should be called upon to update Andaz?
Well the Grand Hyatt has paper thin walls, or at least I've often gotten lots of noise from my neighbors.

I'm comparing the property to other NYC hotels in the $250 - $500 price point... not to the hostels but not to the Peninsula either. It's an upscale place but not a luxury place. I think much of the problem comes from brand confusion, which will get worked out. Getting the basics right is actually quite rare in NYC in my experience. And compared to where I've often stayed, places like Perker Meridien or Intercontinental Barclay.. I prefer this.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
My complete review with photos, the good and the bad, is up:
http://boardingarea.com/blogs/viewfr...o-in-new-york/

Bottom-line is I had a really nice stay, loved the Diamond breakfast by room service, mixed experience with concierge via text but I like the concept with a bit of improvement. Everyone was friendly and helpful. The bathroom needs more light, or so my wife insists (my appearance matters less ). I'll definitely return.

Just understand the place for what it is. It is not competing against the Ritz or Mandarin. It's a sub-$500 property. It's not in the NYC luxury class. Within its own class though and while there are a few things they need to work on they did a really nice job for me at least.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 6:22 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
My hope is the Andaz mini-chain either can improve or, at the least, clarify that they do not wish to be judged as luxury (albeit casual or trendy) hotels. So far, I haven't seen a satisfactory result, but I remain hopeful that it will be resolved in the fullness of time.
Exactly. As some take offense to the comments by those of us such as RichardInSf and myself who've had less than stellar stays, it's our comments that I hope are leading to improvements and perhaps to better stays for others like gleff, for example.

A couple of problems I mentioned after my first stay were remedied by my second stay - they added hangers without clips and they turned down the noise of the elevator arrival tone.

I suspect those of us who have been disappointed by this hotel seem to some as though were obsessive about it. But for me, and I suspect others, it is because I so looked forward to having a good Hyatt in Manhattan. I'm there about once a month and really want(ed) this hotel to be my home there.

Like RichardInSF said, I suspect those of us who are talking about the problems here are doing so because we want the hotel to improve; not because we want to beat it down.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 8:25 pm

Programs: AA Gold; Marriott Lifetime Silver; IHG Plat Amb; Hilton Diamond
All I can say is that I had a very nice stay at the Andaz 5th Ave at the end of July when I was stranded in NYC by Amtrak and used up a FFN at the last minute. I think I had no elite status at the time but was treated extremely well by the entire staff. The room was a bit more stark and modern than I'm used to but I found no fault with it. My only complaint is that there was no tub in the bathroom.

Am returning this weekend on an award stay for "a night of beauty" with a dear old friend and the tub would certainly come in handy. Perhaps I'll call ahead and ask about the possibility of an upgrade but am only a lowly platinum who just emptied his account for the award.

or perhaps GMatAndaz5Avenue is reading this and is feeling the holiday spirit!
Old Dec 14, 2010, 2:03 am

Originally Posted by gleff
But to me it competes with and beats the Parker Meridiens of the world.
hmmm, not sure what that means.

the 2 LPMs I've stayed at have been "mixed" at best. LPM NYC, and LPM Singapore, the latter was in dire need of a renovation when I stayed there a few years ago. The former gets a very wide range of reviews in the SPG forum.

Gary's review/picture of this property on his blog are very good (with a bunch of pictures). I didn't know we got breakfast there.

-David
Old Dec 14, 2010, 7:29 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
. I didn't know we got breakfast there.

-David
The free breakfast is part of the standard diamond benes.

I did learn something from a breakfast server in the restaurant that I assume is unique to this property, but don't know. At the end of the meal she didn't bring a check and said I was all set since I'm a diamond. At most Hyatt properties I've signed for the breakfast. The charge less the tip that I add in is taken off of the bill at checkout. This time I was caught off guard by not getting a check and didn't have my purse with me to leave cash. Later, I saw the server, apologized and tried to give her the tip I owed her. She told me there was already a tip figured into the free breakfast and refused what I was going to give her. That was a first for me as I've always left tips on the check for the free breakfasts (unless it's room service and already included). I'm rather curious if the tip is included at other properties and what the percentage is to know if I should leave more. I will continue tipping on these to be safe, but am curious.

Last edited by l etoile; Dec 14, 2010 at 8:29 am
Old Dec 14, 2010, 10:25 am

Programs: IHG Gold,SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Kettle, AMEX Plat, DL AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by RichardInSF

And again, I don't intend to be sarcastic but anyone who regards the Waldorf-Astoria as a luxury hotel has no idea what luxury hotels are really like.
OK. I'm giving up in trying to explain my position. I chose Waldorf=Astoria as an example because it is branded as Hilton's "luxury" collection. I did not mean the specific one W-A Hotel named as such in NYC.

It's a little harsh around here. I'll continue to patronize the Andaz 5th Ave when I come back to NYC. And, I'll discontinue my participation in the Hyatt group here. I never participated in this group until I wanted to try a different hotel brand other than my usual Starwood hotels for my 2 week vacation. I decided to look at Hyatt and found good reviews about the "A5A" and I was pleasantly pleased with the product. But, the animosity in this group will now also weigh on my decision to go to another Hyatt hotel. If it's "high value customers" are as nasty as the ones I've encountered here, I have no desire to visit.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by slidergirl
OK. I'm giving up in trying to explain my position. I chose Waldorf=Astoria as an example because it is branded as Hilton's "luxury" collection. I did not mean the specific one W-A Hotel named as such in NYC.

It's a little harsh around here. I'll continue to patronize the Andaz 5th Ave when I come back to NYC. And, I'll discontinue my participation in the Hyatt group here. I never participated in this group until I wanted to try a different hotel brand other than my usual Starwood hotels for my 2 week vacation. I decided to look at Hyatt and found good reviews about the "A5A" and I was pleasantly pleased with the product. But, the animosity in this group will now also weigh on my decision to go to another Hyatt hotel. If it's "high value customers" are as nasty as the ones I've encountered here, I have no desire to visit.
Sorry that the tone here has not been pleasant. I don't think it's reflective of the board. Frankly the tone on this whole thread took a turn south a few weeks ago and got pretty harsh.

I for one understand your point. The Andaz is not a "luxury" St Regis / Four Seasons type place but it certainly competes with the "luxury" names of the big brands a la Hilton and its Waldorf Astoria. I think it's real competition in NYC is the W's and hip indies like Gramercy Park or Bryant Park, and on this front I think it competes very well. It has very enthusiastic and helpful staff, great and big rooms and a good vibe.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 11:41 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, 2 mm, Marriott Gold
A lot of posters on here are confused on the classification "Luxury Hotel". Doing a search for Starwood Luxury Hotel Collection I come up with results such as the "W" , Sheraton at Fisherman's Wharf, even Four Points!!! Under Hyatt the Grand Hyatt Union Square pops up YIKES!!!. There is a wide classification of hotels that fall under the blanket of "LUXURY Hotel"
FYI: The hotel industry classifies hotels as followed.

Full Service - Upscale
Full Service
Select Service.
Limited Service

Yes Andaz in the eyes of some travelers is a place of Luxury, a place to indulge, a place of comfort, pleasure and refinement! There is even a term used "Luxury Lifestyle Hotels". I myself to do not find the bed bug ridden NY Waldorf Astoria a Luxury Hotel. To say the Andaz is not like a Four Seasons Hotel is correct, but they are a different brand of Luxury. FYI... I don't find the rooms at the Four Seasons SF Luxurious, lovey public areas but the rooms are very disappointing. I don't think anyone definition of luxury on here is wrong, just different. Yes ANDAZ is luxury for me, a night at the Four Season is not, unless it free!

Originally Posted by ma91pmh
Sorry that the tone here has not been pleasant. I don't think it's reflective of the board. Frankly the tone on this whole thread took a turn south a few weeks ago and got pretty harsh.

I for one understand your point. The Andaz is not a "luxury" St Regis / Four Seasons type place but it certainly competes with the "luxury" names of the big brands a la Hilton and its Waldorf Astoria. I think it's real competition in NYC is the W's and hip indies like Gramercy Park or Bryant Park, and on this front I think it competes very well. It has very enthusiastic and helpful staff, great and big rooms and a good vibe.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by ma91pmh

As a super-loyal starwood guy who has ventured off the reservation a bit this year, I think this hits the nail on the head. All things being equal, I'd choose this hotel over any W in Manhattan as well as the LPM. But definitely would not put it in the same league as the St. Regis or even the SoHo Grand.

My personal take on this hotel is that it is a W for 30-somethings. Still stylish, but not over-the-top, randy gerber in the basement hipster. Less pretentious (and incredibly friendly) staff. Brighter, bigger rooms (and killer showers). And I like the notion of "easy." Free minibar, free wifi, free wine.

Of course in ten years there will be something else new and refreshing and I'll feel the same way about the Andaz then that I do about the W today.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 12:33 pm

Programs: SPG*P, AA*1MM, UA*1P, Hilton*D, Hyatt*D, Sixt*P, Hertz*P, Avis*F, Delta*G
we should open another thread and talk about 'luxury hotels' or 'Andaz brand'
Old Dec 14, 2010, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by Radiant Flyer
FYI... I don't find the rooms at the Four Seasons SF Luxurious, lovey public areas but the rooms are very disappointing. I don't think anyone definition of luxury on here is wrong, just different. Yes ANDAZ is luxury for me, a night at the Four Season is not, unless it free!
FYI... there are much better FS properties than Four Seasons SF! The SF property is considered by many to be subpar, so it should not be viewed as a benchmark for the brand.

In terms of service, better FS hotels routinely provide a level of service to ordinary guests that would be completely unattainable at an upscale (lifestyle, boutique, etc...) property.

Back on the subject of the Andaz, I am glad that Hyatt has begun expanding in New York and is now offering its customers more options. I am hopeful that the issues people have been experiencing at the Andaz will be resolved, and that it will end up being a nice property.

I don`t think that this property should be compared with luxury hotels. Luxury hotels in New York have minimum entry rates that are two or three times that of the Andaz. I would compare Andaz to W union square, or to upscale boutique hotels in the same price range.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 4:10 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Please get back on track - this is the REVIEW thread for the Andaz 5th Ave and not a general discussion of what constitutes "luxury".

Thanks!!!

peteropny - co-moderator - Hyatt

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.