Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Fifth Avenue (NY) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Fifth Avenue (NY) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2016, 10:06 am

Programs: WOH (G)lobotimized, SPG Tarnished Gold
Change in ownership, but, according to the article, Hyatt will continue to manage the property long term:

http://www.costar.com/News/Article/H...k-Hotel/183500
Old Jul 23, 2016, 11:24 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Was here last month and they took care of us quite well. DSU further upgraded to the massive terrace with fantastic views.

Regarding the diamond breakfast, they were kind of contradicting. Host at check in told me to order one entree, drink and appetizer. The next host I asked said it was the $75 credit and a third host told me just order as much as needed per person. We went over $75/day so I was prepared to pay some at checkout, however nothing was waived, but the host gladly took off all of the charges, so all good. We did room service 2 of the days and the tips I included were part of it as well.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 12:33 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorer, Marriott Titanium, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, Avis Plus, Hertz PC
I was there last week and had the splash suite. My SO loved it.

But they handed me, upon check in a typed letter explaining the breakfast policy of one entree, one beverage.

Nothing ever hit my bill, but we did not over order
Old Jul 27, 2016, 10:52 am

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
I really wish they were more consistent on their treatment of Diamond breakfast. We were a family of 4 in a DSU Splash suite. One host told us $75 period, another told us we could order 4 breakfasts. We were very sure to stick with the $75 amount, and I skipped breakfast two days so the kids and wife could eat. On the last day where I had a meal, the overage was charged. Be careful since on one day the $75 included tip/svc charge but another day it didn't. We had late checkout so I didn't stick around to argue the charges but found the PH NY a lot better about breakfast.

This was a great location for sightseeing. Staff was very friendly, and we liked the hard product. A few snafus - rain shower head needs regular cleaning. Otherwise first time you turn the water on, it sprays all over the place including outside the shower. It became Russian roullette - we would take turns activating the shower to see who would get hit by cold water

Another was the mini bar restock. First day we were there, a previous guest had taken a few sips out of a bottle of water and put it back in the fridge. We discovered this when our daughter opened the bottle and asked about the seal.

We had a low floor suite - used to the hustle and bustle of NYC. The last night however, a construction crew jackhammered the road/sidewalk from midnight to 2 a.m. in front of the library. That was unfortunate to say the least.

Odd, I really wanted to love this property as most people seem to have better experiences here than at the PHNY, but it seems reversed in our case.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 11:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by sam_goh
I really wish they were more consistent on their treatment of Diamond breakfast. We were a family of 4 in a DSU Splash suite. One host told us $75 period, another told us we could order 4 breakfasts. We were very sure to stick with the $75 amount, and I skipped breakfast two days so the kids and wife could eat. On the last day where I had a meal, the overage was charged. Be careful since on one day the $75 included tip/svc charge but another day it didn't.
I suspect that if you escalated and insisted on breakfast for four per the GP rules, they would remove the charges. This property is extremely accommodating.

I have an upcoming stay in a 5th Avenue View Suite and really looking forward to the lemon pancakes!!!
Old Aug 1, 2016, 4:02 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Just finished two nights in a 5th Ave. view suite. Overall a nice stay. Excellent service. The suite did indeed have a nice view (14th floor, with floor to ceiling windows) and was quieter than the lower floors on the 5th Ave. side. Overall I prefer the splash suite layout though . . . really didn't like the open bath opening directly into the bedroom.

Was offered and gratefully accepted the 4 pm checkout.

Breakfast seems to have slipped slightly in quality.

Originally Posted by Ceres
they handed me, upon check in a typed letter explaining the breakfast policy of one entree, one beverage.
Our letter said 1 entree, juice, and coffee. Which is exactly per the published GP policy. I think they're still basing it on $75 for two guests though. We went slightly over both mornings (not hard to do) and wound up with a $20 charge on the final bill. Which I'm fine with. It's a generous benefit.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 7:09 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Kacee

Our letter said 1 entree, juice, and coffee. Which is exactly per the published GP policy. I think they're still basing it on $75 for two guests though. We went slightly over both mornings (not hard to do) and wound up with a $20 charge on the final bill. Which I'm fine with. It's a generous benefit.
Regarding the Diamond breakfast, I know what you mean. I'm never quite sure am I going to get charged over the certain limit or not and whether tips are counted towards that. Every Hyatt I've ever stayed at as a Diamond has always just taken care of the breakfast charge. All within reasonable limits of course. I like your way of stating it....its a generous benefit!
Old Aug 2, 2016, 7:52 am

Programs: Hyatt Globlist,MarriottPlat,Hilton Gold,Delta Silver,National EE,Avis President Club, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Somewhere Over the Atlantic
Change in ownership, but, according to the article, Hyatt will continue to manage the property long term:

http://www.costar.com/News/Article/H...k-Hotel/183500
Rooms are due for renovations hopefully this will speed it up
Old Aug 2, 2016, 6:18 pm

Hi,

Does Andaz 5th still participate cash+point (with DSU)? I emailed one front desk manager today and was told they no longer participate. But when I email another front desk manager yesterday about C+P (w/ DSU) for Oct or Nov availability, he gave me a couple of dates and told me the C+P availability is very limited.

any idea why different front desk managers told me different things??

thanks!
Old Aug 2, 2016, 7:46 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by apple1122
Hi,

Does Andaz 5th still participate cash+point (with DSU)? I emailed one front desk manager today and was told they no longer participate. But when I email another front desk manager yesterday about C+P (w/ DSU) for Oct or Nov availability, he gave me a couple of dates and told me the C+P availability is very limited.

any idea why different front desk managers told me different things??

thanks!

I would assume that as a general rule there are no C&P, however there are some day in Manhattan when demand and hence prices are rather lower so I would assume those rare days would be when they would have some C&P even if they have made a decision to no longer do that on a normal basis.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 2:33 am

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
Just had an unexpected one-night stay due to a missed connection at JFK. Was *very* impressed with the rooms manager who proactively blocked a one-bedroom suite for me when I called mid-afternoon and indicated it was likely I'd need a room and wanted to apply a DSU but wouldn't be able to confirm until near midnight. Emailed from the tarmac when we landed and had a delightful terrace suite waiting with the sofa bed already made up for my (dead-tired) kids. ^

As far as the hotel goes, things were as expected: no issues with the diamond breakfast, although at first the restaurant put through a charge for overage (we were four people, and they appeared to only take $150 off the bill), but the associate at checkout quickly removed the rest. Was granted a(n extra) late checkout, and was even able to partake briefly in the wine reception in the lobby the second night while waiting for our car service back to the airport.

The room itself was huge for NYC, but decorated in what I would call an acquired taste. I get the look they're going for, but it is a bit austere, and the various fittings are showing wear. We had a kitchenette (bonus!) but housekeeping had not emptied the dishwasher or restocked the mini-bar from the day before---although I'm willing to give them a pass on that given our unexpected late arrival; room was probably not slated to be occupied that night.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 10:06 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
I see TripAdvisor has this property at 64 and the Hyatt Times Square at 54.

For an upcoming NYC visit in early January I can get Times Square for USD196 per night and apply a DSU. For the Andaz I can get USD226 for two nights or USD279 for three nights. There is no C+P availability and I'm reluctant to pay circa USD925 total for three nights just so I can apply a DSU.

This will be my 7th or so visit to New York. I've done the Times Square thing but I'm certainly not adverse to the location.

I'd appreciate people's thoughts on which way to go.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by danger
Meaningless. Especially for a Diamond. If it were #20 vs. #100, that might signify something.

For an upcoming NYC visit in early January I can get Times Square for USD196 per night and apply a DSU. For the Andaz I can get USD226 for two nights or USD279 for three nights.
The Andaz is a different class of property in a better location, and the Splash suite is a great use of a DSU It's your call whether it's worth the extra $250 or so to you. How much time will you spend in the room?
Old Aug 14, 2016, 11:06 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by Kacee
The Andaz is a different class of property in a better location, and the Splash suite is a great use of a DSU It's your call whether it's worth the extra $250 or so to you. How much time will you spend in the room?
Indeed, it is my call. But I'm interested in others' views.

Given it will be early January when I expect the temperatures will be around zero C (and hopefully with snow) I would expect to spend a little more time in the room than I otherwise would.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 11:12 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

For an upcoming NYC visit in early January I can get Times Square for USD196 per night and apply a DSU. For the Andaz I can get USD226 for two nights or USD279 for three nights. There is no C+P availability and I'm reluctant to pay circa USD925 total for three nights just so I can apply a DSU.

This will be my 7th or so visit to New York. I've done the Times Square thing but I'm certainly not adverse to the location.

I'd appreciate people's thoughts on which way to go.
Keep in mind that Trip Advisors ratings from my past understanding is not a rating of quality or value overall but interest in the property
based on hits by folks looking at checking out properties in order of popularity
Which is why you may see a Hampton Inn get better scores than a 5 star hotel
More folks looking for a lower cost well rated property in a particular market etc
One must still do their due diligence
While TS is a nice property Andaz is truly special IMHO in the end its subjective based on ones individual needs/preferences

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.