Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Aviara - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Jul 1, 2010, 8:15 pm
trd
Original Poster

Programs: DL Platinum; Hyatt Diamond

I just checked in this afternoon. I was warmly greeted. The guy checking me in was surprised that I asked for the 1W bonus. He said most folks just took the amenity. I don't think he's seen to many of us FlyerTalk folks yet! I am staying two nights using BWB. I did not receive any room upgrade. I overlook a nice little garden, and a slight view of the hills, but also the shuttle road. Since one of my nights is on the holiday weekend that may explain the lack of upgrade. The room is perfectly fine, but certainly nothing exceptional. Bathroom is large and nice, better towels and amenities than regular Hyatts. In most PHs there is a cabinet with assorted glassware -- there's none here. Valet parking is $30/night, but you can park for free at the Tennis Center and take a shuttle (every 15 minutes or less). At least there is an option as compared to Huntington Beach. The front desk said the the free parking/shuttle was not "advertised", but available when I asked.

I took the shuttle down to the Argyle Steakhouse which is situated at the golf course. The meal was fine, steak good, prepared as asked. The wine list needs tweeking -- very disorganized and inconsistant. Staff was very friendly, and knowledgeable. My only "complaint" is that the chef seems to want everything to be distinctive, and thus a bit to "hip" for me. As an example -- A simple shrimp cocktail would be better (to me) that hiding the cocktail sauce under a sea of greens and avocado that I had to fight through to get to the sauce -- I asked for more on the side as I never did get throught all the "stuff" to it at the bottom of the cocktail glass.

The fitness room seems well equiped with individual TVs for most of the bikes and treadmills. I did not use any of the spa services. There are two swimming pools: family and tranquil -- it was too cold for me to use them.

When I checked in I was asked which newspaper I wanted. I said NY Tiimes . . . but then in the morning there was no paper. I checked the hotel shop and they did have it. When I mentioned that I didn't get a paper to the front desk they profusely apologized and said that one would be delivered to my room. While at breakfast a bellman found me and gave me the paper -- good service. We'll see if the paper shows up tomorrow morning. The breakfast included for Diamonds is anything you want, just sign the bill. I had the buffet @$25. It was very good and very well presented. One of the best regular breakfast buffets that I have seen domestically. Well worth the price, especially when comparing it to the regular Hyatt breakfast buffets that frequently cost $18 or so.

Tried to put my computer in the room safe this am -- but the safe was inoperable. I asked them to fix it during the day, but they said that they could only service it when I was in the room due to security concerns. The maintance man worked on it for some 20 minutes tonight to get it somewhat working. He was extremely polite.

Tonight had dinner at Vivace, the hotel's 4* Italian restaurant. I arrived close to closing and nearly left before sitting down. They had a very noisy, raucus party of some sort in an alcove of the restaurant -- it should have been in a separate room. They were VERY loud. Luckily I was able to move my table some away from the group and they left shortly thereafter. If this is the hotel's premier dining facility they need to have a better handle on their groups. The menu is set up and priced by how many courses you want -- $44 - $74. The food was again quite good. When I asked for the bill I got it, but it didn't add up properly --- apparently there is a software glitch during the turn over from 4 Seasons to Hyatt -- bill didn't list everything I ordered and thus the itemized prices did not add up to the total presented to me. The waiter attempted to explain what went wrong, but the bottom line is that I never did see what I was charged for. Certainly not a "big" deal but still somewhat troubling.

The NYT and WSJ were at my door this morning. The breakfast was nearly all families in for the holiday weekend. The amenities are l"Occitane. Twice I have trouble with the electronic key not working (yes I know not to put it next to a cell phone, etc.) -- It's a long walk to the front desk . . . and there are quite a few rooms further off than mine.

The flat screen TVs have 50+ channels, but only 5 are HD.

Checking out now. All in all, a pleasant stay, but nothing here that will be "calling me back". The landscaping is fantastic -- the view could be if I didn't get the "garden view"; rooms and restaurants fine, but not great; staff excellent.

Last edited by trd; Jul 3, 2010 at 2:34 pm
Old Jul 1, 2010, 10:31 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, US Air Gold
I live in SD and have played golf at Aviara many times. Had lunch at the hotel on Tuesday. Ate at their bistro with a client, not sure of the name. It was fine, nothing special and over-priced which is to be expected. Pretty much par for the course for a hotel. Hotel seemed dead, but it was a random Tuesday. Beautiful property, it is nice to have a PH in San Diego.

The golf course is top notch. Always well manicured and you never see others on the course. Expensive, but definitely a good course.
Old Jul 2, 2010, 9:22 am

amenities and beach

Hi,

I am torn between the park hyatt aviara and the grand del mar. I would love to hear more about the rooms, the amenities (what toiletries they have)...the resort offerings and...if you use the beach shuttle...how that is.

Also, what is the 1W?...and whats the other option amenity?

Thanks a lot!!!
Old Jul 2, 2010, 10:37 pm
trd
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tdp1830
Hi,

Also, what is the 1W?...and whats the other option amenity?
1W is the 1000 GP points given to Diamond members in leu of amenity when checking in. I did not even look at the other amenity options.

I will be adding to/editing relative to my stay in the above posting.
Old Jul 4, 2010, 12:26 pm

Is there a complimentary shuttle to Carlsbad Airport? Or, to other places?
Old Jul 4, 2010, 5:31 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Real quick for those of you with upcoming stays, I know I was nervous before my stay but I just want to say, no need to worry. I checked in 7/3 for 2 night on award stay.

I will update this post when my stay concludes but so far A++

Beautiful and luxurious property and grounds. From the moment we got out of the car everything was great and top notch. FD acknowledged diamond status and offer a whole slew of benefits. Daily paper of your choice, the welcome amenity which I took instead of points for the 1st time in a long time was a great cheese platter and a bottle of wine. Was informed of diamond breakfast every morning at the California bistro and up to $85 credit for a one time lunch charge. Upgraded to nice view room. A ton of stuff for the kids to do and staff is at your service 24/7. So far, excellent.^^
Old Jul 4, 2010, 6:15 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by cozkay
up to $85 credit for a one time lunch charge
Wow. ^
Old Jul 5, 2010, 2:14 pm
trd
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cozkay
and up to $85 credit for a one time lunch charge.
no mention of that benefit to me with my 2 day award stay! I checked out 7/3.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 3:13 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Originally Posted by JFKSFOLAX_friend
Wow. ^
+1 with that and the breakfast, its quite the deal on an award stay ^
Old Jul 5, 2010, 11:12 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond
I just completed one night award stay at Park Hyatt Aviara, I was here for the Fourth of July fireworks. I was looking for a self parking sign, but I couldn't find it, so I just valet park for $30. Hotel is located upscale residential area in Carlsbad, and this property is not near the ocean. I thought it was located near the ocean, but it's pretty far away from it. And I was told that none of their rooms have ocean view, but they do have some of their rooms with lagoon view, which is the one I stayed last night.
FD gave me the welcome letter with different name, so I told them we have same last name, but different first and middle name. He was looking for my welcome letter, but he told me that they don't have one for me .I guess I am not welcome at this property and then I asked for room with fireworks view, but FD gave me the room with no view. Actually, there was big tree blocking our view from the balcony, so we couldn't see anything from the balcony. Our first room was facing the swimming pool. so I went up again and ask for another room. Finally, I receive a room with the lagoon view which located end of the building, and it had really nice fireworks view. Fireworks were about 17min long, very nice firework, one of the best I saw so far, I would be back back for next fourth of July for fireworks.
My diamond amenity didn't show up until I requested for second time, it was desert platter with red wine, nothing crazy, something you will receive at any hyatt. Turn down service was after 6:30, and I received complimentary shoes shine service. I am not sure all of the guest receive this service, or just for diamond member. But you put your shoes on the bag they provided, and hang it on the door knob, and they will collect it, and hang it back on your door knob before 7 am. I was very impressed with the service. It was nicely shine with tissue wrapped in the bag.
The room was fine, their LCD had VGA output so you can hook it up with your notebook. I couldn’t find VGA cable in the room, but I will bring it next time. They also had two bathrobes, and two slippers to wear. Bathroom was pretty big with marble floor. It has nice towels, and bath amenities from L’Occitane. However, first room I got was regular hyatt amenities, but second room was from L’occitane. Weird.
Breakfast was at Bistro, I did choose the buffet, because it was different than regular hyatt buffet. It was $25 per person, but it was well worth it. Lots of choice, and it wasn’t that typical hyatt buffet. 100% satisfied with the breakfast buffet. Our bill came out $128 with the tip, and everything was removed at check out.
I love sauna, so I tried their complimentary spa service. Spa was located 1st floor, next to fitness center. There is dry sauna, steam sauna, and small whirlpool. It was little bit smaller compare to Indian wells, or Monterey, but service was outstanding. I highly recommend their spa service.
Check out was easy, no long line. I was only charged $30 for valet parking.
Overall, I really like their room, firework was awesome, diamond breakfast was one of the best, and spa was A+. However, I wasn’t completely satisfied because my diamond amenity was delivered after second request, request for NY times and never received it, was placed on worst room at the first time and I had to talk to manager to get just regular room without blocking any view, call valet 10mins prior to leaving, but they didn’t pull out my car. I was the only one waiting for my car.
Their service needs improvement, hopefully it will be real park hyatt next time I visit.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 11:51 pm

The self parking is to the left as you come into the resort. You have to go down a hill to the tennis center and take the shuttle back up. I'm glad you didn't spend a lot of time looking for it though, as they weren't allowing self-park on July 4th.
Old Jul 6, 2010, 1:16 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
Originally Posted by xuni4everx
It has nice towels, and bath amenities from LOccitane. However, first room I got was regular hyatt amenities, but second room was from Loccitane. Weird.
Most FS properties in the U.S. use L'Occitane. Housekeeping could be using leftover toiletries from the previous management.
Old Jul 6, 2010, 10:21 am

If they are it might be coming to an end. At check in on the evening of the 3rd we had L'Occitane in the room, after housekeeping visited on the 4th, we were back to the Portico Spa products.
Old Jul 6, 2010, 11:46 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by vangrizz
If they are it might be coming to an end. At check in on the evening of the 3rd we had L'Occitane in the room, after housekeeping visited on the 4th, we were back to the Portico Spa products.
**shudders**

I hope that Hyatt has something much more high end in mind for toiletries. After all, this is a Park Hyatt. Both PH DC and PH Chicago use Blaise Mautin.
Old Jul 6, 2010, 6:14 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
**shudders**

I hope that Hyatt has something much more high end in mind for toiletries. After all, this is a Park Hyatt. Both PH DC and PH Chicago use Blaise Mautin.
+1

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.