Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

HR Curacao Resort REVIEW - MASTER THREAD - NO LONGER HYATT (Independent)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HR Curacao Resort REVIEW - MASTER THREAD - NO LONGER HYATT (Independent)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:23 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt DIA, Delta Million, USAir Silver
I'll post a review next week

Carolyn,

Headed there for Thanksgiving - will let you know what we think next week. Quite looking forward to it.

Jay

Originally Posted by cmjaffe
We're returning in a month (can't wait) and was wondering if there's been anything new going on there since Xmas. What could be expect using a diamond suite upgrade (last time went on points). Any current reviews on Medi, Shore etc would be appreciated or what to do around the island.

TIA
Carolyn
Old Nov 14, 2012, 1:20 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
We're returning in a month (can't wait) and was wondering if there's been anything new going on there since Xmas. What could be expect using a diamond suite upgrade (last time went on points). Any current reviews on Medi, Shore etc would be appreciated or what to do around the island.

TIA
Carolyn
Had some family members staying there on a dirt cheap third party booking, around Euro 70 per night...

As pointed out before, this seems to be a Hyatt Resort in a downscaled 'Light' version...

No RC, no beach, no suites for Diamonds... enough reasons to avoid the property.

If you are able to book it roughly 50-60% below the going rates on hyatt.com though, it might be a good alternative, if you do not expect too much.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 4:14 am

Programs: AA EXP/MM, HGP ♦; former elite in Hilton, Marriott & DL (just under MM thanks to Leo)
Originally Posted by FD1971
No RC, no beach, no suites for Diamonds...
That's aweful! I didn't realize I was not allowed to use the meager beach!

But I did get a nice Diamond suite upgrade. A full second adjoining room with a wetbar and it's own bath. Only major annoyance was the rugrats in the adjoining room on the other side who squeeled loud and often enough for us to be certain they were probably unsupervised. But they were having a great time too, likely wrecking their parent's room.

Correct, no RC--- but I was offered a comp drink a couple times at the the make-shift happy hour lobby bar, just not around to take them up on it.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 4:46 am

Programs: AA EXP/MM, HGP ♦; former elite in Hilton, Marriott & DL (just under MM thanks to Leo)
What could be expect using a diamond suite upgrade (last time went on points). Any current reviews on Medi, Shore etc would be appreciated or what to do around the island.
Probably one of my best recent uses of my confirmed Diamond Suite Upgrade Awards. Great view (for Curacao), good location on the property and the type of configuration I hope for when pre-booking a suite award. The beach area is meager, but that is Curacao in general. The sad part is what they have is diminished by the long lateral pier (to be keep the boat traffic from hitting unwary swimmers).

The Shor was great, make reservations upon arrival for every night (really hard to get a table as walk-ins). The Medi was not so good, we passed on their theme nights and went off-property and/or downtown. Medi was also fully booked every night (although both restaurants had half their tables empty every time we passed or stopped in during the evening hours). Don't travel to this property without a car and not pre-book a Shor reservation before arrival. No worries for us, we had not, were offered to wait 45 minutes or eat at the bar (ate at the bar and loved it). Do it online here before you arrive: http://curacao.hyatt.com/hyatt/hotel...itemId=1003625

As for what kind of resort this is, this property is named the Hyatt Regency Curacao Golf Resort, Spa and Marina. I think it probably lives up to its name, but I did not play a round-go to the spa-arrive on a yacht, so I can't really say more.

Last edited by traveling_again; Nov 14, 2012 at 4:54 am
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:50 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
Originally Posted by FD1971
No RC, no beach, no suites for Diamonds... enough reasons to avoid the property.
Aviod? No beach? Having been there, the beach is fine. Is clean and have lots of marine life. Great for snorkling - better than Hyatts in Aruba, Maui, Kauai.

Not trying to promote the place, but just want to set the record straight. In fact, I hope this place don't get popular - I want it all to myself

Last edited by hotelfanatic; Nov 14, 2012 at 2:46 pm
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:12 pm

Just to set the record straight... was just asking about the current "buz" since we have stayed here over Xmas last year and will be returning in a month. This time using suite upgrade. Hoping to see familiar faces around (alberto, octavio, rebecca et al). We're definitely having a car, will be going to Shor, will avoid Medi (wasn't impressed), kids looking forward to afternoon gelato and stopping in Espatada House off property for a few meals (just outside of gate). Looking for sunshine, warmth (with probably a shower or two) and some definite quality family time and R&R. It's definitely relaxing.
TIA
Carolyn
now only if I can get a decent rate for rental car... they've really gone up from last year.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 3:49 pm
K79

I just saw the news that this property is ending its ties with Hyatt:

http://www.curacaochronicle.com/tour...gency-curacao/
Old Dec 15, 2012, 4:29 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by K79

That was quick. The location was not good and it did not have a beach. It was man made. The Auba property has a real beach!
Old Dec 15, 2012, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
There is now a "breaking news" link at hyatt.com concerning the Curacao property
Old Dec 15, 2012, 5:14 pm

A bit more information:

http://blogs.wsj.com/developments/20...as-management/
Old Dec 15, 2012, 7:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt globalist, Alaska mvp gold, Marriott platinum, ihg diamond
Originally Posted by K79

There are so many beautiful beaches on curaçao and this was a man-made beach, ugh. It's too bad, the service was good but would much rather be up in Westpunt.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 7:55 pm

As someone who has lived on the island for over a year, its run by croooked politicians and a few wealthy Dutch. They spend no money advertising in the States. Very few Americans know about Curacao. Also, the location was awful. Build a hotel on an island, please make it beachfront. Man made lake on an island is silly.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by wilma
There are so many beautiful beaches on curaçao and this was a man-made beach, ugh. It's too bad, the service was good but would much rather be up in Westpunt.
I agree! Staff was great but its about location in the islands.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 10:54 pm

OMG! I loved this property! By far the nicest in Curacao...
Old Dec 16, 2012, 2:31 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

That's the way things are run on these Islands... no real surprise there.
Guess occupancy will be down a little more for the next few months, and I wonder if it will pick up at all..... what a bad choice in location.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.