Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Place Downtown Madison WI - MASTER - REVIEW THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2010, 7:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond; SPG Platinum; Hyatt Diamond; Hertz Presidents Circle

Just stayed at the new Hyatt Place in Downtown Madison Wisconsin. To date, this is the first Hyatt Place I have stayed at that was not converted from the previous hotel chain to a Hyatt Place(had 11 floors instead of usual 5 or so).

It was just opened up about 2 weeks ago and is in a great location in downtown Mad City just a few blocks away from the Capitol. This location could not have been better as everything you want is easily within walking distance or a very short shuttle ride away.

It was kinda refreshing because they were so new and so excited for the hotel to be open the staff was OVER accomodating. I tend to be fairly low maintenance but was pleasant to see.

Travel Safely. BHawk.
Old May 30, 2010, 11:07 pm

Programs: Don't you know who I am????
Hyatt Place - Madison, WI West Washington Ave

First post from a recent convert to Hyatt. Based on several visits in March, April, and May of 2010.

Basics: Property opened in March of 2010 as a purpose built Hyatt Place. Eleven story structure located two blocks west of the Capital Square. Neighboring structures are primarily condos.

Arrival: Parking for a couple of vehicles for check I/O at the front door. There are also eight to ten one hour surface parking stalls located just east of the front entrance. These are very handy for check in and check out, and thus far, undiscovered.

Parking: Parking in the attached ramp is $10 daily with I/O privileges. The ramp is shared with a local clinic. On-street parking is available on all the surrounding streets, but is metered at $1.50 an hour from 8AM to 7PM and VERY difficult to find until about 8PM. After 8PM, it is likely that an on-street space would be available within a block or two. Streets are well lit and this area is generally be quite safe in the evening. Do be aware that meter enforcement can be very strict in downtown Madison.

Checkin: FD staff is midwest friendly and very accommodating. Was actually asked about choice of Diamond amenity though, as in most HPs it failed to post. Kiosks are located in the reception area near the entrance as well as in the corridor leading to the elevators. This kiosk position could be handy for the knowledgeable FTer if a group is checking in as it is in an unexpected and likely unused location.

Rooms: While purpose built, the rooms are similar to the Amerisuites remodels except most have very spacious glassed in showers instead of tubs. The ##0# series of rooms face West Washington Avenue and some may be bothered buy traffic noise on lower floors. There are two rooms at the rear of the building ##25 and ##26 I believe, that are corners and have excellent light from three banks of windows. Due to nearby buildings, views of the very stately Wisconsin Capital dome are likely obstructed from all rooms. Furnishings, textiles are pleasant.

Amenities: Gym and Pool are on the first floor. The Gym, is small, but equipment is new and seems to be adequate for the guest population. The pool is small, but has a glass wall letting in light, though little view, and is perfectly adequate for those who enjoy swimming laps. Lobby is good sized and split into a casual seating area and the galley eating area. There are two PCs available for guest use. There is a small patio area off the galley seating that would be pleasant on a nice day, though there is some traffic noise.

Food: Standard HP menu. Continental breakfast was well stocked and presented.

Nearby: Two block walk to the Capital Square, another two blocks to Tornado Club for steaks and a very limited, but very good late night menu (till midnight or 1:00 I believe). Gennas, and eclectic spot for a drink, and any number of other restaurants on the square or a bit further, (but still walkable) on state street. On Saturday mornings during temperate months the Capital Square hosts one of the largest farmers markets in the nation making parking quite scarce. Do note, this property is some distance from the University of Wisconsin campus.

Conclusion: A very nice limited service addition to the Capital Square area. My first stay was on their first night of operation and generally I've seen the service and knowledge of the staff improve on each visit.

Hope this is of some value.
The Cold Hand of Technology
Old May 31, 2010, 10:12 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Thank you and welcome to Flyertalk & our Hyatt forum - thecoldhandoftechnology!!!
Old Aug 24, 2010, 12:47 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, National Exec Elite
I stayed at the HP Madison for 1 night. I must admit at first I didn't like the newly built HPs vs. the converted Amerisuites because the rooms are smaller, but the new format is beginning to grow on me. And that shower! Love it!

This is the first HP where I've ever had to pay parking. But given it's location, I can understand. I'd think they could make it a Diamond amenity... Madison is a beautiful city and everything is within walking distance of this HP. We walked all around the downtown area and went to a couple bars.

The staff was top notch. Tamika checked me in and when she saw my driver's license, she noticed we had the same middle name. Then she noticed I was Diamond. She really made us feel welcome!

The pool looked pretty small, but we didn't have time to try it. No hot tub like some other HPs I've stayed at.

Breakfast was typical HP. I sure wish they'd add a waffle maker to it. But there was never a shortage of anything, which is nice.

I had some hassle getting my car out of the garage as I didn't have my room key, but there's a speaker to the front desk and they let me out. Just an FYI in case it happens to anybody else.

Overall I was very pleased with my stay and would definitely stay again!
Old Nov 16, 2010, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Originally Posted by frekwentflier
I stayed at the HP Madison for 1 night. I must admit at first I didn't like the newly built HPs vs. the converted Amerisuites because the rooms are smaller, but the new format is beginning to grow on me. And that shower! Love it!
I'm here right now...this room seems to be the same size and design as the converted ones...I wonder if they have different room sizes here?

This is the first HP where I've ever had to pay parking. But given it's location, I can understand. I'd think they could make it a Diamond amenity... Madison is a beautiful city and everything is within walking distance of this HP. We walked all around the downtown area and went to a couple bars.
Bars...in Madison?

I was not told of any parking charge...

The staff was top notch. Tamika checked me in and when she saw my driver's license, she noticed we had the same middle name. Then she noticed I was Diamond. She really made us feel welcome!
Tamika checked me in as well...she was very thorough, and VERY friendly!^

quote=frekwentflier]The pool looked pretty small, but we didn't have time to try it. No hot tub like some other HPs I've stayed at.

Breakfast was typical HP. I sure wish they'd add a waffle maker to it. But there was never a shortage of anything, which is nice.

I had some hassle getting my car out of the garage as I didn't have my room key, but there's a speaker to the front desk and they let me out. Just an FYI in case it happens to anybody else.

Overall I was very pleased with my stay and would definitely stay again![/QUOTE]

I'm pleased so far...we'll see how it goes in the morning!
Old Nov 27, 2015, 8:41 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Stayed here recently for two nights. One night was P+C and the other was using a free certificate from my Hyatt credit card. The only thing this HP has going for it is that its two blocks from the capitol which I'm sure is great in the summer for the market.

It took about 4-5 minutes for the water in the shower to get any heat. They screwed up my bill and charged me for my free night and it took about 10 minutes standing at the counter in the lobby for them to figure out how to reverse the charge.

The room was extremely small for a HP. Very disappointed with this property.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 9:39 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Stay Report - 2/22 - 2/23

Location: The hotel is very well located. It's on Washington Street south of the capitol on the UW side of Madison. You can walk to all the downtown bars, eateries, attractions (including the Kohl Center which was my destination) very easily and there are lots of fun spots to eat and drink at within a half mile. It's also an easy 10-15 minute drive to MSN itself

Hotel: The hotel is a new construction 12 story high rise. There's a parking garage behind the hotel which is directly connected via stairs and elevator to the lobby, it costs $15 a day to park in. There's a decent sized indoor pool and fitness center as well. The lobby is pretty small and gets very crowded during breakfast. There are two computers and a printer in the lobby that serve as the business center. Do note that there are only two elevators for a 12 story building so there can be long waits.

Check In: Friendly agents thanked me for my status and gave me my bottled water. I was able to get a 2 PM checkout with no issues as well

Room: I've heard the rooms here are smaller than usual HP rooms but I didn't notice. There was the usual kitchen and desk area, living room area with pullout couch, bedroom area and bathroom. Everything worked well and noise wasn't an issue. Wifi worked well as did the shower.

Overall this hotel was perfect for my needs downtown. I'd be back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.