Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Place Portland Airport/Cascade Station REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old May 3, 2010, 5:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Most

This is a newly built Hyatt Place that opened at the end of last year. It is your typical HP with mostly clueless staff.

It is very convenient to the airport, however. I only use it if I need a quick overnight flying in/out of PDX.

It is located in a shopping area where they have Target/Best Buy/Ikea/Staples and some other stores.
Old May 3, 2010, 9:16 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, IC, FPC, CO & UA dirt, 1K wannabe
Originally Posted by holtju2
This is a newly built Hyatt Place that opened at the end of last year. It is your typical HP with mostly clueless staff.

It is very convenient to the airport, however. I only use it if I need a quick overnight flying in/out of PDX.

It is located in a shopping area where they have Target/Best Buy/Ikea/Staples and some other stores.
I have been checking in here every Friday night to earn BWB nights. At the front desk, Amanda has been very helpful. I certainly wouldn't call her clueless. Could it that any GP questions haven't been answered well, as that is typical of HP's?

As the OP has stated the hotel is very new, just opening in November. All of the rooms we have been given have been spotless. They have all faced the rear parking lot and not the front towards the road and big box stores. Perhaps they are waiting to use those rooms once the hotel sees more use?

We haven't stayed the night here yet (have to go home and take care of the dogs), so I can't comment on the beds or food. We did enjoy the pool and hot tub one evening. Runway traffic does make a bit of noise behind the hotel, it might affect light sleepers.

Not much available for deals here, best rates are $80-85.
Old May 3, 2010, 10:24 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Diamond
I have 12 stays here so far this year. Overall a very good consistent property with excellent staff. The doors crash hard, so if you are light sleeper you may have problems.

Be prepared to call in to GP to have your stays post, so far they are batting a consistent .0000
Old May 4, 2010, 12:37 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, IC, FPC, CO & UA dirt, 1K wannabe
Originally Posted by soonerfanatic
I have 12 stays here so far this year. Overall a very good consistent property with excellent staff. The doors crash hard, so if you are light sleeper you may have problems.

Be prepared to call in to GP to have your stays post, so far they are batting a consistent .0000
My Friday stays have always posted on Monday or Tuesday, I haven't had to call yet. Now that I'm signed up for the AA25K promotion, we'll see how they do with the miles.

Yes, the door closers are either adjusted a little too firm or they need rubber cushions to quiet the "clank".
Old May 4, 2010, 2:22 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, SC, Avis PC, HH Gold, Hyatt DM, SPG Gold
Staff clueless? Not in my stays there. I found them to be both helpful and friendly. Destiny & Shelly in particular were great! The only issue I had was the 3rd & 4th floor in room safes were not working.

Try the Aloft next door and see which you like better. I think HP will win hands down.

I have 4 more stays scheduled there over the next 3 months. Love Portland. ^

I too had my points posted on the following Tuesday.

I also found a glass of two of the wine I get from Vinopolis in town dulls the sound of the slamming doors!

Last edited by cmtomlin; May 4, 2010 at 2:26 pm Reason: Additions
Old May 22, 2010, 1:20 pm

Programs: SPG Pref+, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Plat, BA Blue, AA Riff-Raff, UA Unwashed, Travel Anonymous Platinum
Airport shuttle?

Hi,

Does this hotel provide airport shuttle? If so, is it on schedule, or do I have to go to the trouble of calling them?

Thanks!
Old May 22, 2010, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by UA_Eagle
Does this hotel provide airport shuttle? If so, is it on schedule, or do I have to go to the trouble of calling them?
Yes, they have a shuttle, but I don't know if it's on a set schedule.
Old May 22, 2010, 5:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
Typical HP in a nice area near shopping and chain style restaurants.

Originally Posted by UA_Eagle
Hi,

Thanks!
I would call... if I remember correctly they wanted me to schedule my ride to the airport when leaving. I didn't stay there when arriving. You could always take the light rail and get off at the Cascade station and walk 5 or 10 mins if you get stuck.
Old May 22, 2010, 6:31 pm

Programs: SPG Pref+, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Plat, BA Blue, AA Riff-Raff, UA Unwashed, Travel Anonymous Platinum
Thanks everyone--I hadn't realized the light rail stopped in the area--and I just checked maps.google.com and it looks like Mt Hood MAX is the closest station to the hotel.
Old May 22, 2010, 8:27 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, SC, Avis PC, HH Gold, Hyatt DM, SPG Gold
The best Max stop for the Hyatt is Cascades Station, but only use the Max when going into town. The airport shuttle is available from the airport with a phone call, and they accommodate your needs for your flight out from my experience. I used the shuttle coming in at 11:00p.m., and going out at 4:00a.m. ^

Enjoy.
Old May 26, 2010, 4:22 am

Programs: UA-1K, AA-Gold, H GP-LIfeTime Diamond
Originally Posted by soonerfanatic

Glad I am not the only one.....first 11 stays since they opened never post and had to call. My statement under the door always have a H-prefix account number and not the GP number with G-prefix that I recognized. Apparently the H-prefix is another "tracking number" Hyatt for us.....at least this is what they told me. The next 3 stays were posted, but had to call in to change from GP points to miles.....yes, I requested miles during check-in and reconfirm when check-out. I wonder if I need to update my GP profile during UA Elite promotion to fix this. So, I guess my batting average is also at 0.0000

Staff is wonderful. Sure there were some learning curve at first. Phones didn't work and one room had no heat, new towels (not yet washed) so lint is all over when used..... Shelly was shocked when my bodys show her our room key can open A-side of the elevador doors! My boys left a camera at the pool and it was found and brought up to the front desk by their evening shuttle driver. The pool could use some noise absorbing tiles, it gets pretty loud when you have 2 families with kids in it. Shuttle to the airport is set at top of the hour and :30 past the hour. Airport pick-up req'd a call to the hotel. Wait time is less than 5 minutes (9:30pm pick ups). Breakfast is typical HP style, they used to start clearing the food at 9:55am on Sundays, our last stay there were much more relaxed and not rushed. Staff didn't start to clear the food until 10:20. It seems King bed comes with a shower door style shower and 2-Queens has bathtub with curve shower curtain rod.

We usually google and print Pizano pizza coupon for down the street. You have Buffalo Wild Wings next door for late night snack and IHOP is now opened too.
Old Oct 17, 2010, 9:34 pm

Programs: British Air, Virgin, Alaska, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
I stayed here for the first time this weekend (10-15 and 10-16 2010). This was my first time at a Hyatt Place and it was decent--sort of a half step above Hilton Garden Inn. The property is very clean and the staff were attentive. I'm Diamond with Hyatt and was placed on the top floor opposite the road. Although the planes were very noisy--as they often are at airport properties--my stay was otherwise peaceful. The train station is a short three or so blocks, but travel time into downtown was between 20-30 minutes. Portland public transportation is the best anywhere and I can't complain.

Both nights I had bought drinks at the bar--Tanqueray gin and tonic and Dewars straight. I was able to take the mixed drink back to my room, but I had to drink the straight Dewars at the bar (the bar person told me that it's a detail of the type of liquor license they hold). Nonetheless, the pours were solid and the price was fine. The Bar area is acceptable, but small.

There is no room service, but there is food available. My son ordered a pizza which took 20 minutes. We didn't think anything of it, but the staff gave it to us for free. So I bought another drink.

There are a few decent (but chain-style) food places immediately adjacent to the hotel. A moderate sized, clean shopping mall is just across the street from the property.

We enjoyed Prime Rib at Clyde's, only a 10 minute cab ride away.

Overall, this was as good an experience as I could expect from a Portland airport property. The hotel is clean and the staff were solid. Having said that, if Hyatt ever has a Grand or Regency in Portland, I'll stay at either before I'll stay at the Hyatt Place again.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 1:07 am

I generally like this hotel. But I've noticed some "issues" as it's getting more crowded. The wireless in the rooms can be hit or miss. And when it's a "miss" it's so slow you can't really use it (but it always works well in the lobby in an emergency). They have a few good staff members but the glitches are common - a couple times I was assigned to rooms that had not yet been cleaned. When I went back to the front desk the first time their response was "but the computer shows it's been cleaned" - eh, no, actually it hasn't. Great location (near shopping, light rail, airport) and the management seems to be trying. Hope they fix that Internet thing.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 3:03 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

When I was there a few weeks ago I also had a very slow internet connection, using the wired connection solved that problem. The next day the wireless connection was working again.

I had a bad experience with one of the rooms (2nd floor front side) where around 10pm some cooling equipment on the roof right next to the room started vibrating so bad I could not sleep. After complaining I got another room straight away, but I was not amused that I had to get out of bed and pack my bags.

The problem also seemed to be known, really annoying that they gave me that room. The rest of my stay was fine however....
Old Jul 24, 2011, 5:28 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Diamond
Avoid room 107

Advice - Avoid room 107, unless you want to be awakened by the loud thumping of those that choose to run on the treadmills in the workout room next door at 3am. Oh well, I guess I can get some early morning work done....

Last edited by soonerfanatic; Jul 24, 2011 at 5:29 am Reason: addition

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.