Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Qingdao REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2010, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Gold Passport, Shangri-la Golden Circle

I just read the news that Hyatt Regency Qingdao Yinzuo will open in 2011 November. It will be Hyatt's first beach resort hotel in China.

References [in Chinese]:
http://news.qd.soufun.com/2010-04-25/3277481.html
http://news.qd.soufun.com/2010-02-25/3110171.htm

Last edited by kuponuts; Jul 10, 2011 at 6:40 pm
Old Apr 28, 2010, 2:55 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Good news! Do you know where abouts it will be located?
Old Apr 28, 2010, 3:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by crystak
Good news! Do you know where abouts it will be located?
See here:
http://ditu.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...1,0.87616&z=11
Old Jul 10, 2011, 6:41 pm
Original Poster

This opening date of this hotel has been delayed from 2011 to 2012.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 11:32 am
Original Poster

The hotel is now accepting reservations for stays from 1 February 2013 onwards.

http://qingdao.regency.hyatt.com
Old Apr 14, 2013, 6:53 am

13-14.Apr.2013

Stayed here for one night this past weekend. Hotel is still in soft-opening phase.

Check in was smooth, and receptionist was friendly. She had no clue about the 1,000 Diamond Amenity being offered in international properties. Got upgraded to a sea view room. Was informed that Regency Club was not open, so I could take drinks at the Lobby Lounge, and evening cocktails at the Lower Lobby Market Cafe (more on that later).

Room itself was quite large and roomy. Bathroom had Magic Glass (i.e. the glass which can turn from transparent to translucent at the touch of a button). Only gripe was the luggage rack in the mini walk-in closet was so small that it would not fit even my 22" suitcase when opened side-to-side. So, I had to store my suitcase on the floor of the room.

Since I checked in around 6:45pm, I decided to go for dinner at Market Cafe immediately after dropping my things in my room. I ordered soup, appetiser, and a pasta. Total was CNY 246.- At check out the next morning, I did not find this charge on my folio. Upon inquiry, it was because the Regency Club Lounge was not open yet, so my dinner was considered the "evening cocktail", and it was free of charge. Nice surprise!

Breakfast is also served in Market Cafe. My room rate included breakfast, so I am not sure what the Diamond breakfast would have been. However, since the Regency Club is closed, I suspect that the breakfast would have been in the Cafe as well, and free of charge.

It is a good thing that the evening was not too hot, so I could sleep through the night. The next day, I found out that the aircon did not really work, and the room warmed up to 28 degrees during the day. I was going to do some work in the room, and wanted to take advantage of 4pm checkout, but in the end, had to go early (the room was like an oven). Went down to check out and informed the staff to check on the aircon unit of the room, since it was surely not working and thermostat up to 28 now. The guy asked me, "do you think 28 degrees is warm" The Director of Rooms overheard the conversation and apologized for the inconvenience. She was a very nice lady. Even assisted to grab a taxi for me.

Overall, the stay was ok, but I will not be returning for awhile. Give the hotel some time to polish up the hardware and software, and I am sure this hotel will be a good one.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Fly Me to the Moon for the review. I will be staying there from 16-19 May during the cherry season. Looking forward to the stay.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

Dear Moderator,

Please change the title of this thread to:

Yinzuo is no longer in the name.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 11:56 am
Original Poster

Introduction

Hyatt Regency Qingdao is Hyatt's first hotel in Qingdao --- a city well known for its beer and seafood --- as well as Hyatt's first beach resort in China. The hotel is situated on the famous Shilaoren (literally 'old stone man') beach, right opposite Qingdao Intermediate People's Court. It is approximately 30 minutes away from Qingdao International Airport (IATA code: TAO), 15 minutes away from CBD, and 10 minutes away from Laoshan --- the cradle of Taoism. The property features 439 rooms and 25 suites and is owned by Shandong Commercial Group, a state-owned enterprise that operates in pharmaceuticals, real estate and the retail industry. The development project was initiated on 25 April 2010 and completed on November 2011. The hotel soft-opened in 2012, but rooms were only opened to the public for reservation on 15 January 2013.

The interior of HR Qingdao is designed by Heitz--Parsons--Sadek, an architecture and interior design firm based in Palm Beach, Florida, who also designed PH Melbourne, GH Shanghai, HR Hangzhou and HR Jinan. Upon entering the hotel, you will notice the soaring high ceilings (around 10 meters), white marble pillars, indoor water fountain and hanging steel frames. If you like the interiors of GH Shanghai and HR Hangzhou, then you are in for a treat.

Transportation

I went to hotel via taxi (~CNY 60) -- nothing fancy, but it does the job! If you would like, the hotel can arrange limousine pickup. The price is CNY 450 one way for a BMW or CNY 480 one way for a Viano.

At the time of writing, there is no subway system in Qingdao. The first line of Qingdao Metro is under construction and is expected to open in 2014. What's worse is that the second line of Qingdao Metro -- the line that actually goes to HR Qingdao -- won't be complete until 2017. So for most people, the only mode of transport in Qingdao is likely to be bus or taxi.

If you would like, the hotel can also arrange limousine service on an hourly basis. The price is CNY 270 per hour for a BMW or CNY 280 per hour for a Viano.

Last edited by kuponuts; Jun 13, 2013 at 12:04 pm
Old Jun 13, 2013, 11:57 am
Original Poster

Firstly, some photos!!

Let me just start off by saying that HR Qingdao is not a bad hotel. In terms of quality, I would say it is on par with Intercontinental (opened in 2007), Shangri-La (opened in 1997, refurbished in 2003 and 2008) and Le Méridien (opened in 2009). HR Qingdao has nice staff, a great view of the Yellow Sea, and not-cheap hardware. Despite my love for Hyatt's, however, I must say that I am not a big fan of their interior design (i.e. white marbles and stainless steel frames) and renovation skills. For me, the hotel looks more like a Marriott than a Hyatt Regency. And the beach outside the hotel has plastic bags, rubbish and rubbles of concrete in the sand. I think it will take the hotel some time to smooth out the rough edges.

Preface
My stay at HR Qingdao was from 16th to 19th May 2013. Originally I wanted to stay at this hotel on its opening day, but then I realized that Qingdao is extremely cold in January. I therefore chose to stay in May because the temperature was not too hot nor too cold. More importantly it was --- well, supposedly -- the time of Qingdao Cherry Festival. Unfortunately, the weather was abnormally cold this year, so the cherries had not ripen.

If you ask me, the best months to visit Qingdao are:
April, for Qingdao Cherry Blossom Festival
May, for Qingdao Cherry Festival
August, for Qingdao International Beer Festival
November, for autumn red leaves

Last edited by kuponuts; Jun 13, 2013 at 1:05 pm
Old Jun 13, 2013, 11:57 am
Original Poster

My booking experience
I paid CNY 880 + 15% tax & service charges per night for a Standard Twin room using the Club at the Hyatt rate. I then upgraded the room to a Regency Suite Twin (84 sqm) using a Diamond Suite Upgrade.

Prior to my arrival, I emailed the concierge with a long list of questions about transportation, Laoshan and cherry picking. The concierge replied back within 48 hours, providing me with detailed information and innovative options to choose from. I could feel that the concierge spent a lot of time doing research before answering my questions (honestly they were difficult questions). I could also feel that the concierge stood in my shoes when they offer me recommendations. For example, I asked the hotel to arrange four hours of limousine service on my day of arrival. The concierge told me that it might be a good idea to relax in the hotel on the first day and save the limousine service on the second and third day. All in all, I felt that the concierge was professional and fully capable of handling difficult matters and situations.

My arrival experience
I checked in at the front office. The whole process was prompt and the staff were extremely courteous. Unfortunately, they told me that the renovation of Regency Suite Twin was not yet complete. Instead, they offered me a Regency Suite King with a rollaway bed.

The staff also informed me that the Regency Club was not yet ready. They told me that as a Gold Passport Diamond member, however, I am entitled to have my breakfast and evening cocktails at Market Café and beverages at the Bay Lounge. It was my first stay at HR Qingdao, so it was difficult to remember where and when I should be. As a result, I accidentally went to the Bay Lounge and ordered food there on the first day. I think it would be really helpful if the hotel provides Diamond members with a piece of paper that has all the information, so people won't get confused and make the same error as me.

Room
I got a 84-sqm Regency Suite King on the 8th floor, which had a panoramic view of the Yellow Sea. The room was spacious and comfortable, featuring an ensuite bathroom, two toilets, L'Occitane bathroom amenties, two Samsung TVs (the one in the sitting room was like 70 inches), a Bose sound system, a big round dining table, three sofas in the sitting room, a sofa in the bedroom, a Nespresso coffee machine and wooden floors. Bed mattress was Simmons, but was a bit too hard (a common characteristic of mattresses in China) for my taste. The room had electric curtains, but the switches were not so responsive.

One of the nuisances of HR Qingdao is the lack of sound proofing doors or walls in the guest rooms. I could hear every single word my adjacent and opposite neigbours, as well as their neighbours, say. I had great difficulty falling asleep at night because the door slamming would constantly wake me up.

Last edited by kuponuts; Jun 14, 2013 at 12:29 am
Old Jun 13, 2013, 11:58 am
Original Poster

Bay Lounge
Staff lacked experience, ability to communicate and COMMON SENSE! I asked multiple staff at the Bay Lounge if I should enjoy my Regency Club benefits at the Bay Lounge. They all said yes, and of course I found out later that I should have been at the Market Café (when I said later, I meant when I return to the room late at night).

When I asked for the menu, the staff handed me a small menu with 7 items, with no pricing marked on it. Naturally I thought it was the cocktail menu (h'orderves), so I asked if I could have one of each item. At this point, the staff still didn't realize the mistake (or maybe he realized but didn't say anything). They told me sure and brought back up a trolley filled with 7 large plates of food. I was shocked with the amount of food. I then asked again whether the food was for Regency Club, and everyone said yes.

Tastewise, the food was only okay. The only thing I could recommend was the spicy chicken wings. It was similar to the chicken wings I had at Greyhound Cafe, except this one was spicy.

Market café
I only tried their breakfast. Again the food was okay, nothing to write home about. I like their hash browns. They were crispy every time I tried them.

Donghai 88
I think this restaurant is the best among all. The signature dish of this restaurant is meant to be Peking duck. However, I have had so many Peking ducks over the course of my stays at Hyatt. Therefore I did not try the Peking duck at all.

For cold appetizers, I like the pickled radish and cucumber the most. For hot appetizers, I would recommend the sea cucumber with ground pork. Sea cucumber is meant to be one of the local delicacies. The sea cucumber I had was really good --- soft, succulent and beautifully presented. I had this dish twice.

I also like their stir-fried potatoes, the dumplings and the noodles. My favorite dish is the fried prawn with tangy citrus sauce. The color was golden; the prawn head was well gutted; and the shell was fried to a perfect crisp. This was the most memorable dish at HR Qingdao.

All female staff were courteous and carried a really big smile. They actively seek feedback from customers. Special commendations go to the Assistant Manager Helen.

Last edited by kuponuts; Jun 14, 2013 at 12:59 am
Old Jun 13, 2013, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Conclusion
HR Qingdao was okay. Like I said, if you like GH Shanghai and HR Hangzhou, you probably like HR Qingdao also. The design just was not to my taste.

The hotel's software is very good given that it is still in its opening phase. The hardware is not bad either. The hotel did use expensive materials, but their installation skills still has great room for improvement (a common problem with hotels in China).

I would probably go back to HR Qingdao if I ever need to go back to Qingdao. My hope now is to return to Qingdao when Park Hyatt Qingdao opens in 2016.

Last edited by kuponuts; Jun 14, 2013 at 12:58 am
Old Dec 10, 2015, 6:08 am

Programs: UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Review: Hyatt Regency Qingdao

Check-in

Upon checkin, the front desk acknowledged my diamond status and invited me to complete my process in the Regency Club on the 21st floor. The whole process was efficient.

Room

My room is on the far-end of 22nd floor. The room might have one of the most spectacular view I have seen in years. Both of the lobby and the living room have French windows and I enjoyed the unobstructed view of Bohai Sea and I can see the islands miles away. In the morning, the view of the sun rising from the horizon is just stunning.

The living room features a couch and a large table for both relaxation and work. On the table I found a hand-written welcome letter by the hotel staff. The welcome fruit was placed on the minibar. The coffee machine was a Nespresso style. There were six bottles of Laoshan (yes you can literally see this mountain in the hotel!) spring water placed in the living room and in the bathrooms.

I also had the chance to check out the lounge. The offering was quite generous during the happy hour (1730-1900? daily) with canapes and juices. I highly recommend the melon juice and Tsingtao beer.

Dining

I tried both of the Donghai 88 and the Market Cafe. The Donghai 88 is more upscale and I enjoyed their dish a lot. The old fashioned roast duck is a must-try. Since this dish required an hour to prepaer, I recommend book this dish during your check-in. The other dish I tried was the slow cooked Large yellow croaker (Larimichthys crocea),which is a popular local dish. The Market Cafe is less expensive and I tried both breakfast and dinner. The breakfast spread was plenty with both Western and Chinese options. Although the dinner is less remarkable than the Donhai 88, the selection was good, especially for the dessert.

This hotel is built next to a popular tourist spot, called Shilaoren (old stone man) Hot Spring. The drive to the airport only takes about half an hour.

Overall

I think Hyatt Regency Qingdao is simply remarkable: great service, nice food and good diamond elite treatment. It is probably one of the best Hyatt hotels in the northern China. I will try to stay at this hotel again.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 4:08 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Fled Shanghai's lockdown (finally) to Qingdao where we stayed 2 weeks at HR Qingdao - love it here and highly recommend a visit. We will definitely be back.

The hotel is right on the beach (not great for swimming). It is so convenient to walk out on the promenade or rent a jetski or go parasailing off a boat.

Within walking distance are malls with movie cinemas and a wide range of restaurants - in other words it feel like a beach resort and city escape rolled into one. 20 minutes by car are the Laoshan Mountains where there are some great walks. Location is perfect.

As for the hotel...the suites are generously size with great views of the water and beach. Very comfortable set up for lounging and working - Too many suites have weird set ups (like GH Guangzhou) but this is an enjoyable suite to rest several hours a day.

Club lounge has great views of the water. We ate dinner here many nights as the food options were generous for aCL. Breakfast can be taken in the Club or the buffet breakfast restaurant which is nice.

Service overall is great. I highly recommend this hotel. I'll come here a couple of times a hear to rest.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.