Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Confused - Bali - GH or Conrad. What would you do if you were in my shoes?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2010, 10:37 am
Original Poster

I am diamond with both loyalty programs, never stayed at the GH however have stayed 4 times at the Conrad and love that hotel. I plan to spend 2 nights in Bali and the GH low redemption miles is very tempting superb value for money. At the same time Conrad Bali is my fav and I don't mind paying the $170 rate or 35k devalued miles/night.

I'm a little confused, what would you do if you were in my shoes?

I know some travel websites lists the GH as a 4.5*and Conrad as a 5*. Is this truly the case? I will greatly appreciate if anyone who has stayed at both properties is able to povide feedback on which hotel is better on the following:

1. Size of property and grounds
2. Oceanfront Rooms
3. Diamond amenities/Club lounge
4. Pool
5. Beach
6. Staff friendliness
7. Occupancy
8. Spa

Thanks for your help!

cheers.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 11:19 am

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
Originally Posted by 1K+
I am diamond with both loyalty programs, never stayed at the GH however have stayed 4 times at the Conrad and love that hotel. I plan to spend 2 nights in Bali and the GH low redemption miles is very tempting superb value for money. At the same time Conrad Bali is my fav and I don't mind paying the $170 rate or 35k devalued miles/night.

I know some travel websites lists the GH as a 4.5*and Conrad as a 5*. Is this truly the case? I will greatly appreciate if anyone who has stayed at both properties is able to povide feedback on which hotel is better on the following:

It seems that the GH is larger - just from personally having visited both. Although maybe I have not seen all the parts of the Conrad. Also I love the Salsa Bar at the GH, it seems the GH is a bit more "lush" in the grounds area.

2. Oceanfront Rooms

The GH seems to be built back further from the beach than the Conrad. We usually book a suite on points (great value IMHO). We usually have a view of a pond, I've never had an Ocean View/Front room at this property - I think there are very few.

I love the Grand Club - it is my favorite out of any I've been to. The service is great. Food choices are good. Usually 2 hot items that get rotated on a 7 day basis. Table service for drinks during Happy Hour. Breakfast is good buffet, if you want hot item (eggs) you can order at small charge.

4. Pool

GH has a pool just for Grand Club which is usually quite. The main pool can be a bit loud with lots of kids as there are water slides.

5. Beach

I like the beach at the GH - the water can go far out at times depending on the tide. Not sure what the Beach is like at Conrad. Also last year they added free Bike Rental for Diamond members, so its fun to get a bike and ride up the path all the way toward the Westin, etc.

6. Staff friendliness

GH staff is fantastic. There is one women at the Grand Club that is kind of in charge that can be a little "mean". But the rest of the Balinesse staff the GH are awesome.

7. Occupancy

Usually pretty full. Last time we were there (last July) it was about 80%, but it doesn't seem crowded to me ever. Not like Hawaii properties when they get full.

8. Spa

GH Spa is huge. A bit of a treck from the property but they have Golf Carts that will take you if you like. Very nice treatment rooms.

Thanks for your help!

cheers.
Although I've only stayed at the GH - my 4th stay will be coming up in August I thought I'd chime in. I have visited the Conrad and do like the look of the property.

If you have other specific questions about GH let me know and I will try to answer best I can.

It seems to me that GH is better value for points. I kind of do the calculation of 1US$ = 20 HH points and 6.5 GP points, as I am Diamond at both as well. So 35,000 HH points = 11375 GP points. You can get a suite at GH for 8000 points, and a regular room at 5000 points. That is why I say the GH is better value for points. Also since you are Diamond with both, you could probably book a cheap room at GH and use a Suite Upgrade - I have not done this.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

Thanks SF1K for the detailed feedback, this is VERY helpful and thanks for taking the time to respond.

I agree with you on the points calculation you provided. Quick point on Hyatt - my understanding is that one cannot book a suite unless it's for minimum 3 nights (I am there for 2 nights). Is this your understanding?

cheers.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 2:44 pm

Programs: SQ TPP, BA Gold, Hyatt Life Glob, SPG/Marriott Life Plat,
I am also Diamond in both and I would go for the Conrad. To be fair I also haven't stayed at the GH so maybe it's hard to judge it properly but I have been down there to eat and had a look around and having stayed at the Conrad three times I would rather go there.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 2:46 pm

ugh. i hated the GH bali! We stayed at the Conrad Suites (upgraded due to diamond status), and it was great! I love the Conrad. It is my 2nd fav Conrad.....Conrad Maldives first, Bali second, and Hong Kong third! When we moved from the Conrad to the GH bali, it totally felt like a huge downgrade. The club is only outdoors, so it can get uncomfortable in the bali heat. The GH to me, felt like a cheesy resort in hawaii, esp when there is a conference going on at the hotel. I know for a fact I will never return to the GH bali again. I wish they would built a Park Hyatt Bali! Also make sure you check out the Bvlgari Bali resort, AMAZING!

I also want to add, that the staff at the GH were very nice. The grounds are in fact pretty, but the hotel needs to be renovated. It just feels outdated.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Thanks MAN Flyer and globaltrotter

BTW globaltrotter, I read your fantastic TR which provided me good insight.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 4:36 pm
wpj

Programs: AA EXP 3.2MM, Hyatt Courtesy Card/Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold
stayed @ GH Bali in January very satisfied in all you mentioned. as diamond got automatically upgrade to huge renovated suite facing the ocean. access to grand club and private pool. .no complaints. sad I stayed only 3 nights.

Originally Posted by 1K+

2. Oceanfront Rooms
4. Pool
5. Beach
6. Staff friendliness
7. Occupancy
8. Spa

Thanks for your help!

cheers.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 6:06 pm
Community Director Emerita

You're going to one of the beauty spots of the world, and you want to be confident that you will be content with your hotel. You know you're happy at the Conrad. I'd go ahead and book it. It sounds as though you get to Bali periodically. You should go to the GH and take a tour of the property while you are resident at the Conrad. That way, you will know your impression for a future stay.

There are a handful of places in the world where I have found a hotel that really satisfies. It's great to have that sense of confidence as I book that the hotel/staff/amenities/location suit. I wouldn't want to mess with that on a holiday trip, absent any compelling reasons to try another hotel.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 9:40 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K HYglob Marr LT Titanium
Originally Posted by wpj
stayed @ GH Bali in January very satisfied in all you mentioned. as diamond got automatically upgrade to huge renovated suite facing the ocean. access to grand club and private pool. .no complaints. sad I stayed only 3 nights.
I stayed at GH Bali in early Dec.09 and it was over run with noisy uncontroled children with guests standing in line for a table.
Staff were overwhelmed with mangement watching in the backround.

I had a paid upgrade suite with an ecert,in the distance was the ocean.
All the suites I have seen do not have the best veiw.

Not a HH,but have visted guests at Conrad.
I was envious.

Stay there.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 9:16 pm
Original Poster

thank-you wpj, SanDiego1K and lovtofly3 for you valuable input, it's greatly appreciated! ^

cheers.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
I just got back from a 6 night stay at the GH Bali. Regarding your above named criteria here are my objections:

The GH is a huge hotel and there are many walkways going through the areal. You need a little time to navigate.

2. Oceanfront Rooms
There are Oceanfront Bungalows in front of a lake. I had an Oceanview Suite in Complex 3 which was fine.

Club Lounge is ok however I found it way too frequented and it was open air -> very humid which is not contributing to the quality of cheese etc during buffet time.

4. Pool
It was very busy. The Hotel was full and many (too many) families were hanging out at the pool. I excaped by using the gym pool ('The Club').

5. Beach
The beach is very nice and well kept when it comes to the sand. However from the waterline on many stones are laying out. Not sure how other parts of Bali are though.

6. Staff friendliness
I found all staff very accomodating have no complaints whatsoever.

7. Occupancy
2 weeks ago it was full - annoyingly full. As I said it is a huge property. If thats not your thing better choose something different.

8. Spa
The Kriya Spa was very good. Went there 3 Times. Prices reasonable in general comparison, however I dont know what the average prices in Bali are. They have many offers right now.

Keep in mind that the 5K points are for a Standard Room. A suite is supposed to be 8k and a Minimum of 3 nights though you may be able to work something out. Even though 2x 8k are nearly a night at the PH Tokyo so it might be better just to pay for a Standard Room and use Suite Upgrades or stay at the Conrad in the first place. Also the Luxury Collection was recommended to me. Maybe I will split my next stay a little !

Hope it helps !

Cheers
Old Apr 20, 2010, 12:39 am
Original Poster

Thanks skywalkerLAX for taking the time to provide such detailed feedback. Your commentary is certainly appreciated and helps me out big time. Hope you enjoyed your trip!

cheers.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 8:02 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

skywalkerLAX - nice detailed review of GH Bali - I'll copy your post over to the main REVIEW THREAD.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 3:09 pm

I am at the GH right now and am having a great time. We are using a 8,000 suite awards. Great suite, very modern in the builiding with the lounge. The lounge is very well done. ONe of the better lounges we have been in and we do frequent alot of Hyatts. The evening food is great. The chef is out and about and very eager to please. This Hyatt staff are extrememly pleasant and cannot do enough for you.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Is the hotel still completely occupied ?

Weird was that all restaurants except the Japanese one seemed to be completely deserted. I found the food pretty overpriced for Bali I have to say.

The Snacks at the lounge are great, I agree.

Enjoy !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.