Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Government Rate Question

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2015, 9:17 am

Programs: SPG Plt, Hyatt Diamond, DL
Originally Posted by BobR
I stay on govt rates frequently and have never had the sense I was getting second class service.
Same here. Never have had an issue or felt like I was being shortchanged.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 6:39 am

Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
From what I've read here (and indeed the rate conditions on the website), current orders aren't indicated as a requirement, just an ID.
Originally Posted by dtwdoc
My understanding is that Hyatt properties do not require copies of work orders, etc, only current identification. Other hotel brands, however, may require further documentation
Reviving this older thread as I’ve noticed a recent change to Hyatt’s Government rates. The prevalent rate is now title “Government Military Business” and the rate rules are considerably more restrictive than in the past. Here is a screenshot of the rate verbiage:

I wonder if properties will be strict with adherence and require official travel orders, or if Government ID will suffice. If the former, I’ll be booking my leisure stays via FedRooms.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 1:33 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by Robert
Reviving this older thread as I’ve noticed a recent change to Hyatt’s Government rates. The prevalent rate is now title “Government Military Business” and the rate rules are considerably more restrictive than in the past. Here is a screenshot of the rate verbiage:

I wonder if properties will be strict with adherence and require official travel orders, or if Government ID will suffice. If the former, I’ll be booking my leisure stays via FedRooms.
Break my heart, why dontcha!
I've shifted a lot of my travel to cash+9K suite upgrade bookings, but for local stuff/mattress runs I've still been using Government Rate. Really the most enticing property has been the GH Kauai... stayed there a few times on the Government rate. $325 vs $600+ nowadays. I imagine when I go back (probably 2024), I'll call the hotel after booking to verify procedure. Only had a handful of hotels ask for my ID to begin with.

Unless they sent memos to all the hotels, I doubt enforcement will be immediate. Either way, it's a crying shame. I thought the general idea has always been to value Government workers (who are paid less than their civilian counterparts) ... not just for official travel.

Hadn't heard of fedrooms before. Looks like they have restricted application timeframes (one site says June through end of July, so looks like I'm SOL until next year).
Do you find similar rates as the Government rate, or is it more like a slightly discounted rate?

Last edited by joecool1885; Aug 2, 2022 at 1:43 pm
Old Aug 2, 2022, 1:36 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
I noticed this change as well a few weeks back, but they didn't seem to update their own site. I've never been asked for travel orders and outside of DoD, travel orders aren't always so formal. I'd be curious to hear if there is any material change to check-in procedures.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 1:37 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt, AAdvantage
They absolutely do.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 2:38 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Originally Posted by joecool1885
Break my heart, why dontcha!
I've shifted a lot of my travel to cash+9K suite upgrade bookings, but for local stuff/mattress runs I've still been using Government Rate. Really the most enticing property has been the GH Kauai... stayed there a few times on the Government rate. $325 vs $600+ nowadays. I imagine when I go back (probably 2024), I'll call the hotel after booking to verify procedure. Only had a handful of hotels ask for my ID to begin with.

Unless they sent memos to all the hotels, I doubt enforcement will be immediate. Either way, it's a crying shame. I thought the general idea has always been to value Government workers (who are paid less than their civilian counterparts) ... not just for official travel.

Hadn't heard of fedrooms before. Looks like they have restricted application timeframes (one site says June through end of July, so looks like I'm SOL until next year).
Do you find similar rates as the Government rate, or is it more like a slightly discounted rate?

it is the federal rate.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 2:41 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Originally Posted by Pingtung
I noticed this change as well a few weeks back, but they didn't seem to update their own site. I've never been asked for travel orders and outside of DoD, travel orders aren't always so formal. I'd be curious to hear if there is any material change to check-in procedures.
I was challenged a couple of weeks ago in PIT (at a Hilton) even after I showed my CAC (civilian) ID. We are no longer given travel orders, so I could have logged in and shown the front desk person that my hotel reservation was made through our official travel system. I have no idea what was going on there, who would go to PIT in the summer is beyond me except for a meeting, J/K.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 2:45 pm

Damn, I see that now with my go to hotel. I commute two days a pay period and may be moving my business from Hyatt to Hilton, which is fine. The Hyatt is so much more convenient.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 7:20 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Globalist
This is not unsurprising, given that Hilton and Marriott previously made the move, but disappointing nonetheless and especially that it was apparently done with no announcement/transparency.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by joecool1885
FedRoom rates usually mirror, or are less than, the per diem rate. For example, the per diem rate for the Miami area is $115/night currently, but you can get the Hyatt Regency Coral Gables for $104/night. There are some other gems out there, like a few Park Hyatts that are at the per diem rate.
joecool1885 likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by dpb132
This is not unsurprising, given that Hilton and Marriott previously made the move, but disappointing nonetheless and especially that it was apparently done with no announcement/transparency.
I am not aware of Hilton universally requiring proof of travel orders when booking Government rates. On Hilton’s Government and Military Rate site, a Q&A simply states the following:

Q: Is ID required to get the government rate?
A: Yes. You will be required to show your government identification upon check-in at the hotel.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 7:30 am

Originally Posted by dpb132
Do we have a concierge or anyone who monitors this forum from corporate anymore?

I can see how this federal rate could be abused somewhere there is leisure travel, but an office park in the outskirts of a major metro area? I dunno.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 7:39 am
Company Representative: World of Hyatt

Programs: World of Hyatt
Good morning all!

We do offer 2 different types of government rates:

1) Government/military business discount. This rate is validonly forgovernment and military personnel traveling on official government business. You will need to show your orders in order to get this rate

2)Military/veteran leisure rate. This is an exclusive rate for US active duty service members, US Veterans, and their immediate family members. You will only need to provide ID showing you are one of the above.

I hope this helped clarify your question. If you have any other questions feel free to DM us.

Have a wonderful day.

Rebecca S
59Impala likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by World of Hyatt Concierge
Good morning all!

1) Government/military business discount. This rate is validonly forgovernment and military personnel traveling on official government business. You will need to show your orders in order to get this rate

2)Military/veteran leisure rate. This is an exclusive rate for US active duty service members, US Veterans, and their immediate family members. You will only need to provide ID showing you are one of the above.

I hope this helped clarify your question. If you have any other questions feel free to DM us.

Have a wonderful day.

Rebecca S
Some agencies stopped issuing travel orders, how are you going to handle that?
Old Aug 3, 2022, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by World of Hyatt Concierge
Good morning all!

Have a wonderful day.

Rebecca S
What will you be doing for Non Command sponsored family members. If their names aren’t on the orders?

Last edited by Aventine; Aug 3, 2022 at 9:15 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.