Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Government Rate Question

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2014, 1:16 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
This sounds like an absurd question, but does National Guard count as a US Gov't employee?

(I would think so, the guy I'm traveling with has a National Guard ID, is Guard, etc...but I half-expect hilarity to ensue on this one with more hare-splitting than an episode of Looney Tunes given the definition of "active" [I presume that to mainly exclude retirees] and what-have-you.)
Old Dec 18, 2014, 7:21 am

Programs: SPG Plt, Hyatt Diamond, DL
Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
This sounds like an absurd question, but does National Guard count as a US Gov't employee?
Are you receiving a paycheck from the govt? And do you have current identification?
Old Dec 18, 2014, 8:50 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
"Government rate" is a broad term and covers federal, state & local (and , in some cases overseas). Where you fit in depends on where your paycheck comes from and the Orders you are carrying. You should expect the property to ask to see those.

OTOH, some won't ask for anything at all.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
and the Orders you are carrying
My understanding is that Hyatt properties do not require copies of work orders, etc, only current identification. Other hotel brands, however, may require further documentation

Last edited by dtwdoc; Jan 9, 2015 at 4:15 pm Reason: put the wrong hotel brand... oops!
Old Dec 18, 2014, 4:01 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
From what I've read here (and indeed the rate conditions on the website), current orders aren't indicated as a requirement, just an ID.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 2:13 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I am curious if I still qualify for the government rate. I am transitioning out of the military as a result of an injury and have to give up my CAC card for a transition ID. From what I understand it is the same/similar to the dependent ID card. I made a reservation at the government rate before I knew my final out date, so now I am unsure if that ID will qualify me for the government rate. I don't want to get stuck paying the rack rate, but the daily rate is $100 more and they only have ADA King rooms left. Thoughts or opinions?
Old Jan 9, 2015, 3:19 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by ArmyFlyer05
I am curious if I still qualify for the government rate. I am transitioning out of the military as a result of an injury and have to give up my CAC card for a transition ID. From what I understand it is the same/similar to the dependent ID card. I made a reservation at the government rate before I knew my final out date, so now I am unsure if that ID will qualify me for the government rate. I don't want to get stuck paying the rack rate, but the daily rate is $100 more and they only have ADA King rooms left. Thoughts or opinions?
In theory, no, you are not eligible. Will anyone check or be able to tell the difference if they do check, doubtful.

Last edited by skunker; Jan 9, 2015 at 4:04 pm
Old Jan 9, 2015, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by ArmyFlyer05
You run the risk of being charged the rack rate if this is discovered/noticed. And it would be dishonest.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 1:16 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by dtwdoc
You run the risk of being charged the rack rate if this is discovered/noticed. And it would be dishonest.
Who cares if it's dishonest? I sure dont! I'm not even remotely, in any possible way, connected with the government. However, when booking online, I always put in govt. rate (whenever it comes out cheaper). I have never been asked for ID, even ONCE! Obviously, being younger, I won't get away with asking for the senior discount, but anybody can be a govt. employee, and it has always worked. Of course me and my wife discussed, that if anybody ever DID ask, I'd have a B.S. story ready, about being a contractor for the City of Buffalo, or some other far-flung B.S. , and that I'm still waiting for my temporary ID in the mail. Of course, it seems unlikely that I will ever be asked, so it's a moot point. Work the systems, my friends. Work the angles....
Old Jan 17, 2015, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by HAMMER77777
Who cares if it's dishonest? I sure dont!
Wow

Everyone in life must decide what they feel is morally and ethically correct.

As an FYI, I actually have been asked for my govt ID at many hotels. And, in one instance (won't mention the hotel), I did not have it. I had to have a copy of my ID faxed to the front desk in order to avoid being charged the rack rate. I don't remember what the difference in price would have been, but knowing the property I would guess an additional 500+ per night
Old Jan 18, 2015, 4:58 pm

So I just checked into a Hyatt Place with my govt rate. Go figure, they asked me for my govt ID and I didn't have it! I couldn't help but laugh as I remembered I had left it in my govt laptop at home (has a port for the chipped badge). The FDC wouldn't let it slide despite having over 15 stays at this property. Luckily, as I was about to suck it up and pay way too much, I saw the GM whom recognized me and let it go. What are the chances
Old Feb 22, 2015, 11:17 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Amtrak Select
I wonder if you get different treatment based on using the gov't rate. I stayed at the GH Kauai in 2013, paying an advance rate for one night and using my two free nights for a pool room. I also stayed an extra two nights, but don't remember if I had a gov't rate or daily rate: anyway, on the paid night I got an upgrade from Ocean View to Ocean Suite, and the last two nights an upgrade from garden view to deluxe ocean view... I was platinum at the time. This year I booked several nights with DSU using the gov't rate, and I got no special treatment.... of course, any number of reasons for that come to mind... but I wonder if using the gov't rate means you won't get as good treatment as the daily rate. And I was asked for my gov't ID there... haven't been asked at every property.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 7:37 am

^ while data is not the plural of anecdote I can report receiving a couple of non-dsu upgrades to suites when on a govt rate. Most recently at the HR Atlanta.

I stay on govt rates frequently and have never had the sense I was getting second class service.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 9:04 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, National EE
Originally Posted by BobR
^ while data is not the plural of anecdote I can report receiving a couple of non-dsu upgrades to suites when on a govt rate. Most recently at the HR Atlanta.

I stay on govt rates frequently and have never had the sense I was getting second class service.
I routinely get suite upgrades at HR Crystal City when on a gov't rate - also one time at Park Hyatt DC. I use the rate frequently, and always bring my ID - but I've never been asked for it.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 9:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Often government rates are more than AAA/AARP rates. They're frequently a lot more than advanced purchase rates, not to mention third party websites and price line, etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.