Wiki Posts
Search

Government Rate Question

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2011, 9:35 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by hobo13
I'm generally not asked, but the one property (it was an SPG on Oahu) absolutely insisted on examining it with a fine-tooth comb. And then telling me that it was NOT a gov't ID..... too funny. And this went on every other day for about 2 weeks. (Yea, Hyatt was running FFN....)

So while I've been known to do plenty of things that I'm not supposed to do, on this is one time where I'm actually on the right side of the line!

As for using the rate when not on gov't business? How are they going to know? I mean, sure they can ask. But what proof would they want to see? Our office is frequently on multi-week trips that span weekends, so just saying it's a Sat night does not mean I'm not out on business.
The way "they" know isn't right now. The way folks get caught is that something else totally unrelated happens (someone at your agency is alleged to have done something serious at the same hotel at another time) and there is an audit. That can result in everything from being required to backpay the rack rate to discipline. It's like driving without your license on you. Only matters if you get caught.
Old May 29, 2011, 9:47 am

Programs: UA Lifetime GS 4mm
Originally Posted by barbh2
Does Hyatt accept government rate for a government employee staying in the room when reservation is in the other room occupant's name (for example diamond member using suite upgrade)?
Originally Posted by peteropny
Yes as long as one occupant is eligible, room can be in another's name.
My question is, if one occupant is staying for govt employee rate, can the other occupant's name be diamond member using suite upgrade (but staying there w/o using revenue rate or points) ?
Old May 29, 2011, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by BLAR
I am curious as to what would qualify for the state government rate. Do educators qualify? They are paid with tax dollars. Wonder if they belong to their states educators association and have a membership. For instance, Colorado Principals' Association or Denver Public Schools....

Are these state government rate eligible?
I would think that those who work for the state universities would qualify. I would also like to suggest that you contact the property directly to double check. some require that you be on official government business if using the gov rate (hyatt Carmel highlands), with official letter etc...
Old May 29, 2011, 2:21 pm

Programs: UA1k; Bonvoy Titanium; Hilton Gold; IHG Gold; AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by ck2003
I would think that those who work for the state universities would qualify. I would also like to suggest that you contact the property directly to double check. some require that you be on official government business if using the gov rate (hyatt Carmel highlands), with official letter etc...
Usually not - but it is easy to check with the property in advance.
Old May 29, 2011, 10:51 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by npei
My question is, if one occupant is staying for govt employee rate, can the other occupant's name be diamond member using suite upgrade (but staying there w/o using revenue rate or points) ?
Yea
Old Jul 4, 2011, 10:30 am

[QUOTE=Often1;16468787]You need to check the t&c of the rate. It will describe in detail what is meant by a "state government employee." The mere fact that someone's employer is subsidized by taxpayer money is highly unlikely to qualify.

This is not true. I am a public teacher in California and all Hyatts I have stayed at allow the State Govt. rate. I even called Hyatt Corp. HDQt. and asked if I could use the St. rate while staying at an Embassy Suites in Oregon and they said yes.
That's right from the top !
Old Jul 4, 2011, 2:28 pm

Programs: UA1k3.00mm;AAex-EXP;Hy Glob;Acc Plt;HH Dia;Onyx Plt;Mar LT Tit;IHG DiAm;RR P;RRA G;BW D;Hcom G
Originally Posted by ck2003
..... some require that you be on official government business if using the gov rate (hyatt Carmel highlands), with official letter etc...
The Hyatt Carmel website does not say this. It says only that govt. ID is necessary. In fact, I've never seen any hotel chain say that the govt. rate requires "official business."
Old Jul 4, 2011, 3:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
[QUOTE=darballman1;16669684]
Originally Posted by Often1
You need to check the t&c of the rate. It will describe in detail what is meant by a "state government employee." The mere fact that someone's employer is subsidized by taxpayer money is highly unlikely to qualify.

This is not true. I am a public teacher in California and all Hyatts I have stayed at allow the State Govt. rate. I even called Hyatt Corp. HDQt. and asked if I could use the St. rate while staying at an Embassy Suites in Oregon and they said yes.
Good for you. The t&c may well cover you. But, they may not cover the individual who posted the question to which I responded. No need to call all over the place, given that the people asking the question say they are "educators" all they need to do is read a simple paragraph on a Website and determine from that whether they fall within it.

So, before you go using terms like, "not true," read the entire context.
Old Jul 4, 2011, 9:32 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Originally Posted by zdcatc12
I am not sure about Hyatt, but I know at Marriott, the GSA CC is honored as a govt id, even if the room is not charged to it.
Now that is the card to leave home when not traveling on official business!^
Old Jul 5, 2011, 10:03 am

Programs: DL PE, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, UA Prem, PC Plat
Originally Posted by Gamecock
Now that is the card to leave home when not traveling on official business!^
Ah, but if you leave it home and need to make a short-notice booking for your next trip, you are in a world of hassle.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by darballman1
I even called Hyatt Corp. HDQt. and asked if I could use the St. rate while staying at an Embassy Suites in Oregon and they said yes.
And after they said yes, did they mention that Embassy Suites is a Hilton brand? Not surprised they said yes.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by kevino
The Hyatt Carmel website does not say this. It says only that govt. ID is necessary. In fact, I've never seen any hotel chain say that the govt. rate requires "official business."
sorry. Yes you're right. when I called them I asked about having state govt id being able to use fed govt rate. For state employees, they required one to be on official business.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 12:02 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by kevino
The Starwood hotels in Hawaii do state you have to be on "official business."

From the The Royal Hawaiian, Waikiki. Emphasis mine.

GOVERNMENT RATE-ID REQUIRED NOT VALID FOR GOVERNMENT CONTRACTED VENDORS. Offered to only US Federal Government employees traveling on official government business. US Federal Government employee ID required upon check-in. One room maximum per employee. Not valid for US government contractors. Work orders may be required to qualify for rate. Identification required.
I believe the Marriott on Waikiki has a similar policy. Hyatt does not. In fact I have not been asked for government ID for about 2 years while staying on GOV rate or Fedrooms rate. And, yes, I have the ID. YMMV.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 7:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, DL Silver, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, HHonor Gold, Hertz President's Circle
is gov't rate eligible for elite qualifying stays/nights?
Old Dec 8, 2014, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by epicurus
is gov't rate eligible for elite qualifying stays/nights?
Yup

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.