Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt FAQs & Tutorial on Getting Hyatt Points - PLEASE READ

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt FAQs & Tutorial on Getting Hyatt Points - PLEASE READ

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2016, 1:20 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Carl
Just wanted to add a data point about attempting to confirm a DSU after booking through Orbitz. I have some expiring Orbucks, so I decided to book a one-night stay so I wouldn't use them. It's a regular retail rate that is identical to the Hyatt site (and is actually $17 *higher* than the AAA rate I would've booked through hyatt.com). I knew I wouldn't earn points but still figured it would be a qualifying rate. Nope. Oh well. Guess it's time to just stop chasing expiring Orbucks for good.
Unless you book directly through Hyatt or certain Travel Agents (not online websites), it will never been a qualifying rate. If you knew you wouldn't gain points on them, it's the exact same criteria.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 9:46 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
If I dine as a non-guest at participating locations, how soon does it post? Would the receipt show your HGP #?

If I buy Hyatt points on their web site, how soon does it post?

Thanks.
Old Feb 20, 2016, 9:19 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport
Original Poster

Originally Posted by emiabe
If I dine as a non-guest at participating locations, how soon does it post? Would the receipt show your HGP #?

If I buy Hyatt points on their web site, how soon does it post?

Thanks.
IME, dining points don't post automatically, I've usually had to submit the receipt to GP CS for them to manually post it - the whole process could take a while.

I've never bought points but would imagine that they post quickly. Sorry could not be more specific. Perhaps someone with actual experience could chime in.
Old Feb 20, 2016, 9:46 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by peteropny
IME, dining points don't post automatically, I've usually had to submit the receipt to GP CS for them to manually post it - the whole process could take a while.

I've never bought points but would imagine that they post quickly. Sorry could not be more specific. Perhaps someone with actual experience could chime in.
Thanks peteropny. I assume you scanned & emailed the receipt. Did the receipt show your GP #? (I thought if they have your GP# at the time receipt is issued, you should get the points automatically.)

In your experience, approx. how many days from the date of receipt to post, and do they backdate it? Thanks.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by emiabe
Thanks peteropny. I assume you scanned & emailed the receipt. Did the receipt show your GP #? (I thought if they have your GP# at the time receipt is issued, you should get the points automatically.)

In your experience, approx. how many days from the date of receipt to post, and do they backdate it? Thanks.
Yes scanned and emailed. No the receipt did not show my GP # - maybe that's the trick.

I send the email to my Private Line Agent and it usually posts the same day - IIRC back dated to the day of the dine.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 1:12 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Amtrak Select
Just had my toughest interaction with HGP--- ended with me coming across as a jerk and her coming across as pissed off at me. Coincidence it happens a week after losing Diamond?

Issue stemmed from a Feb 29th stay at an HR, last night as Diamond (until end of this month)--- chose points as the amenity, points didn't post. However, also had 1500 points post on the 29th for two retro-HP Diamond bonuses (seems some agents will correct the points on the stay, others will just post the points as an unspecified bonus). So when I requested my 1500 points, she referred to those points, which I explained were for the HP stays. She said she was willing to put 1,000 points in the account as a gesture of goodwill, but I wanted what I felt I deserved (1500)--- because I was offered an amenity or points at the hotel, despite my expiring Diamond, I believed I should've gotten them. She came back and told me she had adjusted my earnings from 15-30%, and posted 750 for the retro credit. I pointed out this was an HR, not a HP-- so she corrected the amount. But then some confusion ensued, and she stated she put a total of 1536 points in the account (which I somehow interpreted as inclusive of what I earned at the hotel, so less than having 1500 in addition to what I earned)--- at that point, I said "that's acceptable to me" --- and she said very curtly "have a good night". Had I realized that she had put exactly what I earned in the account, my closure would have been more like "thanks for all your help, have a good night"... but alas.

Not feeling good about the interaction in general, but I was inadvertently a jerk, so her response was reasonable.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 6:57 am
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG

Stayed at the GH Shanghai back in May 2013. Had lunch in the PH Shanghai, and points posted automatically within 2-3 days.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 7:01 am
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG
Does anyone have experience, how long it takes for the 500 AVIS points to be credited on GP?

I presume my question is not covered here in this thread, as the entries I saw were related to the former 300 points which were credited when checking in to a Hyatt. These are related to the points I get when using the Hyatt AWD.

Thanks.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 3:59 pm

Random question. I already have a reservation booked with Hyatt (actually need to call since I forgot which card I used to book it - and there's no record of it mentioned anywhere...smh) - But if I got a gift card, can I use that first to pay the final bill and charge the rest to the credit card - - - or is that not an option?

Thanks!
Old Mar 31, 2016, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by YummyRambutan
Random question. I already have a reservation booked with Hyatt (actually need to call since I forgot which card I used to book it - and there's no record of it mentioned anywhere...smh) - But if I got a gift card, can I use that first to pay the final bill and charge the rest to the credit card - - - or is that not an option?

Thanks!
If it's not a pre-paid rate, you can pay any way you want at checkout, including cash, credit cards, gift cards, gift checks, . . .

The chard you gave them is only to guarantee the reservation so they can charge you if you don't show up. You don't have to use it to pay the bill.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by sethb
If it's not a pre-paid rate, you can pay any way you want at checkout, including cash, credit cards, gift cards, gift checks, . . .

The chard you gave them is only to guarantee the reservation so they can charge you if you don't show up. You don't have to use it to pay the bill.
Amazing. Thank you. Yeah - it was a points + cash booking. And I couldn't find the charge on any of our credit cards...so I'm going to assume it wasn't a pre-paid rate. Thanks!
Old Mar 31, 2016, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by YummyRambutan
Amazing. Thank you. Yeah - it was a points + cash booking. And I couldn't find the charge on any of our credit cards...so I'm going to assume it wasn't a pre-paid rate. Thanks!
Points+cash isn't pre-paid, so you pay the cash portion however you want at checkout.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 5:31 pm

Beautiful.

Edit: Crap. Learned my lesson. Didn't realize I couldn't use gift cards in Asia. I'm either returning it or reselling it.

Edit2: They let me return it! Thank goodness.

Last edited by YummyRambutan; Apr 1, 2016 at 10:00 am
Old Apr 13, 2016, 2:30 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, UA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, National Exec, Hertz Pres
What do I need to do if I’ve achieved a higher elite level prior to my stays which were previously booked?

Hyatt’s computers attach the status at the time of reservation to the reservation record. In order to ensure that the property recognizes your upgraded status, a call to Hyatt CS or the property is required. For Platinum level, this is probably not necessary since the benefits for Platinums do not generally involve room allocation or upgrades. For Diamond level, this is pretty important since room assignments are often done before arrival especially for RC/GC upgrades and/or access.
Is this still accurate? Wiki was last updated in 2013. I booked a bunch of stays when I had no status and I was recognized as a Platinum member upon check in.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EricUSC
Is this still accurate? Wiki was last updated in 2013. I booked a bunch of stays when I had no status and I was recognized as a Platinum member upon check in.
Probably no longer applicable. Thanks for the prompt - should look at the FAQs and revise where appropriate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.