Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Ways to maintain Hyatt points after 12 months? (No hotel stay, no Avis)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ways to maintain Hyatt points after 12 months? (No hotel stay, no Avis)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2013, 12:13 pm

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
I haven't stayed at a Hyatt property nor earned a point in about 2 years.

If you are a hyatt platinum (as suggested in the sidebar) - why wouldnt you have posted points in the past 12 months? Even if it was they hyatt card, a simple charge to your visa would give you points on your account.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 3:59 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by austin_modern
If you are a hyatt platinum (as suggested in the sidebar) - why wouldnt you have posted points in the past 12 months? Even if it was they hyatt card, a simple charge to your visa would give you points on your account.
He doesn't have the credit card, he says so. Plat is due to a soft landing or a non-update of side bar.

trojan, just spend $24 and buy the points. Easy, no fuss, and cheaper than (even a) continental breakfast at a Hyatt. Although making and cancelling a reservation will work - I think it is a hassle, that I am always concerned won't count!
Old Jan 4, 2013, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by sophiegirl
He doesn't have the credit card, he says so. Plat is due to a soft landing or a non-update of side bar.

trojan, just spend $24 and buy the points. Easy, no fuss, and cheaper than (even a) continental breakfast at a Hyatt. Although making and cancelling a reservation will work - I think it is a hassle, that I am always concerned won't count!
They can't take whats not in the account and tied up in a reservation.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 2:10 am

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
If you're worried about points expiring, just enjoy a nice meal at a Hyatt restaurant and supply your GP number.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 3:40 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by JackE
If you're worried about points expiring, just enjoy a nice meal at a Hyatt restaurant and supply your GP number.
Points from meals don't always post, so keep the bill and make sure or posts before counting on the activity sparing an account from being closed and/or point balance wiped out.

Wiping out accounts and all point balances of inactive accounts was not very conmon for inactive Hyatt accounts before, but going forward -- post-Hyatt IPO and post-Hyatt credit card launch -- I have different expectations of what Hyatt will do and suggest defensive measures to prevent a wipe out.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 7:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref

You are correct, I don't have the Hyatt CC

I'm not sure why I am plat but I still am. Now I believe (though am not sure) that the plat status will expire whenever the end of the Hyatt Elite year for status ends. Is that 2/28?

I earned Plat in 2011 with some stays early in the year. I haven't stayed since early 2011.

I'm just going to go the purchase of the points route, same price as eating dinner, but I know they will post, don't have to make a special trip to a Hyatt and it will just keep me at peace of mind regarding the account.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 8:19 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
You are correct, I don't have the Hyatt CC

I'm not sure why I am plat but I still am. Now I believe (though am not sure) that the plat status will expire whenever the end of the Hyatt Elite year for status ends. Is that 2/28?
Yes, end of February indeed is the end of the Hyatt elite status membership year.

About you being plat until the end of this February despite no regular paid stays since the first half of 2011, that may be because status earned from 5 or more stays in calendar year 2011 gives Platinum status for the remainder of the 2011 elite status membership year and for all of the 2012 elite status membership year ... thus covering you until the end of February 2013.

Some heavy Hyatt/Chase credit card users could easily minimize the cost of Diamond status acquisition/retention by rushing in 25 regular paid stays (or the bulk of 25 paid stays) in the first two months of the year every other calendar year so as to have the Diamond benefits on all the award stays at a lower Diamond status acquisition/retention cost.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 9:06 am

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by GUWonder

...((SNIP)) Some heavy Hyatt/Chase credit card users could easily minimize the cost of Diamond status acquisition/retention by rushing in 25 regular paid stays (or the bulk of 25 paid stays) in the first two months of the year every other calendar year so as to have the Diamond benefits on all the award stays at a lower Diamond status acquisition/retention cost.
This sounds great, but I am not sure I understand what you are saying. Can you explain again? (What can i say, I am a blonde!)
Old Jan 5, 2013, 12:47 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
This sounds great, but I am not sure I understand what you are saying. Can you explain again? (What can i say, I am a blonde!)
It could be 20 stays for heavy Hyatt card users.

Suppose you have no status at all, right now. In the first two months of 2013, you have 20 stays and spend $40K on the card. This gives you Diamond until Feb 28, 2015, even if you have NO stays in 2014. Then you repeat in the first two months of 2015. This gives you Diamond status with an average of 10 nights a year.

Of course, if you have no stays in 2014, then Diamond status doesn't do you much good in 2014!
Old Jan 7, 2013, 3:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
I'd just sign up and make use of the CC - the free stays are nice, and more than make up for the smaller annual fee.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 11:23 am

Bump. Reading conflicting things online: can I book a refundable hotel and cancel to maintain my points?

If not I guess I'll transfer from Chase UR.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 1:17 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by NYCRachel
Bump. Reading conflicting things online: can I book a refundable hotel and cancel to maintain my points?

If not I guess I'll transfer from Chase UR.
I'd like to know this as well. Sadly, I don't have a Chase account, so I'm stuck for options outside of buying points for $25, which seems silly.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 1:19 pm

Programs: Hyatt
Award Points expired

I had built enough Hyatt award points for a few free nights stay. I logged into award website a few days back to see my points were forfeited. I called the customer service and person told me that the points were forfeited due to inactivity in my account for 2 years. I was never notified about this event. The customer service person mentioned that 6000 points (fraction of what I had) can be restored. It would be insufficient points to get any free night. That person further tried to sell me award points so I can qualify for a free night. At that point, I was not in mood to deal with any of that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.