Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt may be returning to New York - News Articles & Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 21, 2014, 11:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tjbrooks
Opening Delayed
  • Original opening date was July 20th.
  • Current opening date is now August 12th (as of 5/21/2014).
  • Customers with reservations prior to August 12th had their reservations cancelled, and no alternatives/compensation was offered besides rebooking another Hyatt at current rates.
Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt may be returning to New York - News Articles & Discussion

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2014, 7:52 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by nuclfusion
We're currently booked for 5 night at Andaz 5th on 11/30 to 12/4. We were thinking of moving the reservation to Park Hyatt but not sure I'd want to run the risk of it not being open during the holiday season. Thoughts? It's my wife and my first time out away from kids for 4+ years so we'd like it to be pretty spectacular. Not knocking the Andaz or anything but to possibly have a view of Central Park or Carnegie would be neat.
I do t think that late Nov will be a problem (I have reservations early Oct). You won't have a view of Central Park since the hotel is on the lower floors of the building but Carnegie Hall is definitely a possibility.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 6:07 am

Programs: AZ FA+, A3 G, AB G | IHG RA, HGP D, FPC P, Accor P, BW D, HH D, Eleva, GHA P, 1862 Voyager
Has anyone made points reservations at the PH NY?

A friend told me they were available for booking at 30K but today I see points are not available for any date even in 2015
Old Jul 19, 2014, 8:41 am
Original Member

Programs: Hyatt Courtesy card. Delta 2MM Diamond. AA platinum pro
I made a one night reservation for late September to try it out. I made it weeks ago.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 11:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, 2 mm, Marriott Gold
Made a reservation 2 weeks ago for Halloween week, 6 nights using points, one night AA rate.

Originally Posted by lsed
Has anyone made points reservations at the PH NY?

A friend told me they were available for booking at 30K but today I see points are not available for any date even in 2015
Old Jul 21, 2014, 9:58 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt GP Platinum
I was looking to stay here for one night, but didn't want to use all my points yet. Rates were around $900-$1,000 for September. What are people getting for rates? I was surprised and was wondering if this will be the expected rate moving forward.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 2:27 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by fishy21
I was looking to stay here for one night, but didn't want to use all my points yet. Rates were around $900-$1,000 for September. What are people getting for rates? I was surprised and was wondering if this will be the expected rate moving forward.
A few weeks ago I did a search for a wide range of dates and 950-1100 is the norm, the lowest I could find was $850.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 11:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Marriott PLT, SPG PLT, AA EXP, Virgin Elevate
September - December is high season in NYC, rates will be lower Jan - March, mid-season April - Sept.

Originally Posted by Miesque
A few weeks ago I did a search for a wide range of dates and 950-1100 is the norm, the lowest I could find was $850.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 9:20 am

I tried to book an award stay (with either points or Visa award nights) any time in the next 6 months and couldn't find anything. I understand they will be busy after the opening, but this seems odd that not one night is available.

I called gold passport who simple said they must be busy.

Anyone know how many standard rooms they actually have? Must be a small number to have such limited availability regardless of the date
Old Jul 22, 2014, 9:51 am

Programs: FSPP, Virtuoso, Belmond Bellini Club, STARS, Hyatt Privé, Peninsula PenClub, etc.
Spoke with the Rooms Manager--fully committed for standard Park rooms through end of 2014, and have closed off standard room reservations, paid and award, for 2015. Details in my post link in my signature.

Last edited by TravelConcierge; Jul 22, 2014 at 9:53 am Reason: noted "fully committed" applies to std rooms only
Old Jul 22, 2014, 10:21 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt GP Platinum
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Great blog as well.

I call B.S. that "standard rooms" are not available. I hate it when hotels do that, to limit the number of credit card & GP reward redemption.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 10:58 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

This is shaping up to be a property that is highly questionable honoring their GP obligations before it's even open. First the fiasco with the late opening and not even offering any compensation and now blocking the standard rooms.

Not on my list anytime soon, and without a view in my view way too expensive anyway.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 3:50 pm

Well, if the standard rooms per se are the problem, supposedly, one should be able to book a suite for 48k points? I see no shortage of Park Junior Suites online.
I'm not familiar with the financials and ownership structures of PHNY, but I assume it's a joint-venture between Hyatt and Extell? Very odd that Hyatt would not honor GP awards in a property they own to a certain extent.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 6:10 pm

My husband and I booked 4 nights here for a long weekend in Sept (free CC nights). Specifically because their base room accommodates 3, and the rates for our dates were $1150. I believe we made the bookings in June - we had checked for weeks before and nothing, then suddenly they were available. On some nights the choices were Park King and the ADA Double. I mentioned it on another thread that the ADA Double is almost double the size of the Park King, and I was tempted to book it, but it wasn't available for all our nights.

Since then we have given up two nights due to change of plans, and the rooms we gave up were available for about 2 days (I was checking), then must have been booked by someone else. But I do know that the availability was there.

However, is it true that not all rooms are finished? Does Hyatt intend to continue construction while part of the hotel is occupied?

ETA. At this point I doubt they'll push back the opening again, but I am keeping an eye out to see if we should stay somewhere else depending on the early reviews.

Last edited by ENFO; Jul 22, 2014 at 6:24 pm
Old Jul 22, 2014, 11:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Marriott PLT, SPG PLT, AA EXP, Virgin Elevate
It's industry practice to open a hotel before it is fully functional. Case in point... ALL NEW HAYTTS IN NYC have been open before 100% of the rooms were completed... Hyatt Union Square opened a few months before the restaurant was completed.... Hyatt Time Square as well..

If you stay at hotels often.... you are aware of the "SOFT OPENING"

Originally Posted by ENFO

However, is it true that not all rooms are finished? Does Hyatt intend to continue construction while part of the hotel is occupied?

Old Jul 23, 2014, 1:42 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, 2 mm, Marriott Gold
This is industry wide... hotel open and not all rooms are ready to be sold... From Marriott, Hilton, Four Seasons etc. etc. if you are a frequent traveler you know when a hotel opens not all rooms and facilities are ready to role.

Originally Posted by ENFO

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.