award early checkout

Old Mar 28, 2010, 2:05 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, CX DM, QF GO, AA LT GO, UA SL, LH FT, Marr LT Titanium, Shang DM, Hyatt Glob, Hilton DM
award early checkout

did a quick search and didn't find an answer to this...just wondering if any of you have experience with this, whether you get some points back if you need to shorten your award stay from say 5 nights to 3 nights ? if I remember right with SPG it's possible. just not sure whether it's true for Hyatt too ?

unfortunately I'm now in a situation where I might very likely need to shorten a vacation for a business meeting...

pls share any previous experience you might have on this, thanks !!
Old Mar 28, 2010, 4:29 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Assuming you haven't started your stay yet - yes you can definitely get points back from a shortened award stay - I've done it several times myself.

Not sure if you've started your stay already.
Old Mar 28, 2010, 5:18 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, CX DM, QF GO, AA LT GO, UA SL, LH FT, Marr LT Titanium, Shang DM, Hyatt Glob, Hilton DM
thanks peteropny. sorry, should have made it clearer - I have started the stay already...
Old Mar 28, 2010, 7:30 pm

Programs: QF Emerald EY Plat HH D
Just go and talk to the front desk and ask that you cancel the last 2 nights and can they return the pts back.
I know a lot of hotels do ask that you give them notice at checkin of any difference in stay length.
some will give pts back some wont.
Old Mar 28, 2010, 7:48 pm

Programs: P THAI,Diamond HYATT
It's often unwise to say, "Oh yes they do that", because they sometimes do things for you, they normaly shouldn't, but I have often been in exactly the same situation. Hope you are able to work something out, even if you have to postpone the date of a couple of award nights to a later time.
Old Mar 28, 2010, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Early departure policy, whether using awards or paid, is hotel specific. You need to talk to the front desk or duty manager.@:-)
Old Mar 29, 2010, 7:34 am

Yes, you should talk with the front desk or duty manager. Since point reservations have a similar cancellation policy to paid nights, I would expect the points for the cancelled nights to be returned- just the way I would not expect to be charged for the remaining nights if I were shortening a paid stay.

I hope you get your points back.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Mar 29, 2010 at 7:41 am
Old Feb 7, 2014, 7:50 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
I have a reservation for a 4 night award stay at Park Hyatt Beaver Creek early next month and I may need to return home a day early but won’t know for certain until the day or the day after I check in. Wondering about the possibility/likelihood of Hyatt re-depositing the points for that one night if I do check out a day early, curious of any other experiences during the past 4 years since the last post on this thread. (The hotel has a 30 day cancellation policy so even if I knew for certain right now, I don’t think I could change anything.) Thanks.

(BTW, a thank you to Hyatt Gold Passport. I booked this reservation very speculatively 2 months ago, prior to the devaluation (award night from 22K to 30K) last month. A couple of weeks ago, after the devaluation, award availability opened up on dates which were better for me. I called GP and without any pleading the dates were changed. The rep actually had to book the 2 new nights at 30K each and then credit me back 16K points. That’s the kind of customer oriented service that generates customer loyalty. Thank you.)
Old Feb 7, 2014, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski
I have a reservation for a 4 night award stay at Park Hyatt Beaver Creek early next month and I may need to return home a day early but won’t know for certain until the day or the day after I check in. Wondering about the possibility/likelihood of Hyatt re-depositing the points for that one night if I do check out a day early.....
Probably not! PHBC didn't credit me back when I had a minor injury and had to depart early.

...(BTW, a thank you to Hyatt Gold Passport. I booked this reservation very speculatively 2 months ago, prior to the devaluation (award night from 22K to 30K) last month. A couple of weeks ago, after the devaluation, award availability opened up on dates which were better for me. I called GP and without any pleading the dates were changed. The rep actually had to book the 2 new nights at 30K each and then credit me back 16K points.....
This is standard policy until Feb 15, 2014.@:-)
Old Feb 7, 2014, 10:52 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Thank you TerryK.
Originally Posted by TerryK
Probably not! PHBC didn't credit me back when I had a minor injury and had to depart early.
That's terrible. Most importantly, I hope you're fully recovered. Secondly, please tell me when this occurred and if you pursued it with Hyatt and/or Gold Passport afterwards and if so what response you received.

Interesting about standard policy, I (obviously) didn't know that.

Thanks again.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you TerryK. That's terrible. Most importantly, I hope you're fully recovered. Secondly, please tell me when this occurred and if you pursued it with Hyatt and/or Gold Passport afterwards and if so what response you received.....
Thanks for your concern. It was minor and I was fine after a few days.

I didn't pursue it as PHBC was following the rules. It would have been nice if PHBC went above and beyond the rules and gave me a break due to injury, however, I understand that I am not entitled to it.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 10:09 am

Understood, thanks again.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 10:47 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
My recollection is that PHBC has in the past posted special language in their rate rules for high season, declining refunds for early departure and posting stiff fees for cancellation. Not to say they might not cut you slack if they were oversold the next night and were praying not to walk people.

I have shortened award stays elsewhere over the phone without penalty, but it was several days before scheduled checkout.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 4:40 pm

Programs: AA PLAT (2.8MM), DL Diamond, UA*S, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTE, Hilton DIAMOND, IHG PLT
I usually book one night stays for awards far into the future. PH Sydney this year before the category change last month. That way I can cancel them if plans change especially for a high award category property.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by jayer
My recollection is that PHBC has in the past posted special language in their rate rules for high season, declining refunds for early departure and posting stiff fees for cancellation. Not to say they might not cut you slack if they were oversold the next night and were praying not to walk people.

I have shortened award stays elsewhere over the phone without penalty, but it was several days before scheduled checkout.
Thank you, good to know. This is my first award with Hyatt.

Originally Posted by utpharmdoc
I usually book one night stays for awards far into the future. PH Sydney this year before the category change last month. That way I can cancel them if plans change especially for a high award category property.
Excellent idea, will do that in the future. For this award it wouldn’t have helped as there is a 30 day cancellation policy.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.