Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SEOUL: PH or GH ?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2010, 10:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: JL Diamond, CX MPC Silver, OW Emerald, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
SEOUL: PH or GH ?

My girlfriend will make a less-than-24hr stopover in Seoul on her way back from the US to Japan. Right now, I have booked an award stay for her at PH Seoul. But I notice that the hotel is somewhat away from the major shopping districts (such as Myeong-dong).

She plans to do some quick shopping but doesn't have a lot of time. In this case, those of you who have been to Seoul many times, do you recommend PH Seoul or GH Seoul?

Also, which hotel has better access from/to Incheon airport? Her flight next morning is at 9:45am, so she needs to leave the hotel no later than 7:00am.

If you can share some opinion regarding the two hotels in Seoul, that would be highly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old Mar 24, 2010, 10:41 am

Programs: UA-Silver; Hyatt Platinum; SPG Gold
The PH is by far the better hotel when compared to the GH but with a short layover I would just stay at the Hyatt Regency at the airport. This is a very nice hotel. Also for a 9:45 am flight you should be at the airport by around 7:30 so this would mean leaving the PH at 5:30 or 6. Traffic in Seoul can be crazy and Incheon is quite far from the city.

I would book her at the airport and she can take a taxi into the city and do some shopping then get a good nights sleep.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 10:48 am

Programs: KF Gold, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, PC Gold Ambassador
Originally Posted by TMOTEE
The PH is by far the better hotel when compared to the GH but with a short layover I would just stay at the Hyatt Regency at the airport. This is a very nice hotel. Also for a 9:45 am flight you should be at the airport by around 7:30 so this would mean leaving the PH at 5:30 or 6. Traffic in Seoul can be crazy and Incheon is quite far from the city.

I would book her at the airport and she can take a taxi into the city and do some shopping then get a good nights sleep.
+1 I once took almost 2 hrs to get to Incheon from IC COEX, traffic can be a killer at peak hrs
Old Mar 24, 2010, 10:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: JL Diamond, CX MPC Silver, OW Emerald, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Thanks for all the advice! She departs on a Sunday morning. Would traffic be a problem on Sunday?
Old Mar 24, 2010, 11:27 am

Programs: AA 3MM EXP, SQ Solitaire, LH SEN, CX DM, Hyatt CC, Marriott LT Titanium
Even with no traffic at all, it will still take around an hour to get from downtown to the airport.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 3:14 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

PH over GH in Seoul, no need to even think about it. The HR at Incheon is nice for an HR but with 24 hours, it's worth it to go to Seoul.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 4:45 pm

Programs: UA1k3.00mm;AAex-EXP;Hy Glob;Acc Plt;HH Dia;Onyx Plt;Mar LT Tit;IHG DiAm;RR P;RRA G;BW D;Hcom G
Traffic will not be bad Sunday morning.

I've never been to the PH. The GH has a nice lounge and ambiance. Presidents have stayed there!
Old Mar 24, 2010, 5:53 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kevino
Traffic will not be bad Sunday morning.

I've never been to the PH. The GH has a nice lounge and ambiance. Presidents have stayed there!
Yeah, probably back when Harry Truman was in office. They also didn't have to walk up the hill from the subway. Stick with the PH.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 7:40 pm

I had a similar situation before and I stayed at PH. Landed at 4:30pm Saturday, leaving next day on a 11am flight.
It took 90 minutes from airport to hotel and around 75 mins from PH to airport.
The hotel recommend leaving 3 hours before your flight time.
I used hotel limousine both way.

If I have to do it again, I will DEFINITELY stay at the airport HR to save the time, energy and money (the limo ride is comfy but still very tried after the ride.)

And the PH room light switches drove me crazy, you know what I meant if you have been there.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
The drive to/from downtown Seoul is a killer. The PH is across from the COEX shopping complex and there is a major Duty Free Fashion outlet under the IC COEX (not the Grand which is across from the PH). One can access the complex via underground passages from the subway. PH is very nice and more convenient than GH given this proximity to shopping. May not be the "Rodeo Drive" of Seoul but comprehensive array of shops.

Still I've stayed at the airport Hyatt when just staying over night, or even moved from the PH to the airport Hyatt when I've had a morning flight just because of the hellish commute. PH is also close to the airport shuttle bus depot as an alternative to costly cab.
Old Mar 25, 2010, 12:15 am

Programs: UA1k3.00mm;AAex-EXP;Hy Glob;Acc Plt;HH Dia;Onyx Plt;Mar LT Tit;IHG DiAm;RR P;RRA G;BW D;Hcom G
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Yeah, probably back when Harry Truman was in office. They also didn't have to walk up the hill from the subway. Stick with the PH.
No, that would have been before the fire there.
Old Mar 25, 2010, 12:48 am

+1 for the PH.

The GH does have a nice location and views of Namsan, but for such a short stay you should absolutely go for the PH. It will be a very convenient and relaxing hotel for such a short stopover.
Old Mar 25, 2010, 6:06 am

Programs: UA- Pl (2MM), AA-Go, Delta-Silver, Hyatt-Globalist!, MR/SPG comb - Plat, Hilton - nada
I have stayed more than 250 nights at the GH since 2002 - never stayed at the PH. But that is because of location...my business is on that side of the river.

I'm sure there is plenty of shopping over near the PH, but if she specifically wants to see Myeong-dong and/or Namdaemun, then definitely GH. They have a free shuttle.

I have also layed-over at the HR near the airport - very convinient. No way she can make it a 48-hr lay-over? As people have said, it's not the most convienient place to go into the city for a short time. Not as bad as Narita, but close...
Old Mar 25, 2010, 6:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rwm818
I'm sure there is plenty of shopping over near the PH, but if she specifically wants to see Myeong-dong and/or Namdaemun, then definitely GH. They have a free shuttle.
Can you please elaborate on the free shuttle? Do they offer free shuttle from the hotel to Myeong-dong and Namdaemun?
Old Mar 25, 2010, 8:38 am

Programs: UA 1K, 3 Million Miler, Hyatt GP Diamond
Definitly the PH

The PH is right across from the Coex shopping center and there is a subway station right out the front door. In addition it is a fabulous hotel. No choice in my mind.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.