Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Arlington vs Crystal City

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2015, 12:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, 2 mm, Marriott Gold
Assaults on the METRO in DC are not rare, to the extent of homicide yes. I live in NYC part time and take the subway daily and walk home from a night out on the town in the wee hours of the morning. I feel safe in Manhattan, I don't in DC. I'm only in DC twice a year and have been assaulted twice on the Metro. I also have friends who have purchased homes in the U Street Corridor / Mt Vernon Sq, the sound of gun fire is a almost a weekly event. There are safer areas in the Capital, the West End, NOVA, but DC has one of the highest rates of violent crime in America per capita. if you are going to take the METRO late at night be aware of who is standing next to you on the platform and train, just like you would in any major US city.

One of the assault I experienced was in the middle of the day at the Airport, a man grabbed me and tried to take my cell phone, when I resisted he tired to throw me on the tracks, with in a minute security ran out and chased him down the tracks!!! I'm a transit junkie I've taken systems all over the world, from Mexico City to Paris, only in DC have I been a victim of an assault TWICE.

Originally Posted by JetAway
The Metro stabbing was such a one-off event that's it's been front page news for days. And they quickly caught the assailant.

Last edited by Radiant Flyer; Jul 12, 2015 at 1:25 pm
Old Jul 12, 2015, 1:47 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Here's a view of the road over to the Marine Corps War Memorial taken from an upper floor at the Hyatt:

The Memorial itself is on the far left side at the top of the photo.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 2:29 pm

FYI for those from outside the area, most of "Washington" lives outside of "DC," which has a population of less than 700,000. For example, Fairfax County, VA has a population of over a million. Likewise, most of METRO serves areas outside of DC. Both Hyatt hotels in this thread are located in very safe but close-in Arlington. There are certainly unsafe areas of DC but the normal tourist or leisure visitor should have little reason to be paranoid and should view METRO as a generally reliable and comfortable way to travel around the area.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 1:54 am

Programs: LX SEN, A3 Gold, BAEC Silver, HH Dia, CCarlson Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Thx all for you valuable inputs, and thx, tom911, for your pictures posted showing us our way... ^
Guess then METRO in DC and surroundings in night time is not more not less than other subways in cities throughout the world, just all senses on alert if applicable...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.