Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Base Points Calculation

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2010, 6:28 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Imade 2 MR stays at my local HR for the exact same rate - had no incidentals - posted with 2 different points (one was precisely on - the other had a few extra points - less than 20).
Old Apr 27, 2010, 10:35 pm

"Randomly!!" - That may be my favorite answer ever.
Old Apr 28, 2010, 1:27 pm
No longer used by Hyatt; use World of Hyatt Concierge

Dear Flyertalk Members,

We realize that distinguishing eligible and ineligible incidental charges can be confusing, and I wanted to provide some clarification on this topic. Eligible charges vary on a hotel-by-hotel basis, but generally include food, beverage and lounge expenditures, with the exception of outlets not operated by the hotel.

To get a better understanding of which charges on your bill are eligible or ineligible, please contact us so that we can review each specific stay. You may also reference this information in our terms and conditions on hyatt.com. Thank you all for your feedback, and please contact Gold Passport Customer Service with any concerns you may have!

Sincerely,
Karen Smith
Old Apr 28, 2010, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Gold Passport Concierge
To get a better understanding of which charges on your bill are eligible or ineligible, please contact us so that we can review each specific stay. You may also reference this information in our terms and conditions on hyatt.com. Thank you all for your feedback, and please contact Gold Passport Customer Service with any concerns you may have!
Hi Karen, thanks for chiming in here. I don't think it's a good investment of my time to chase after 20 missing points (as long as I also see errors in my favor here and there), so I won't take you up on this offer.

But from the examples I posted, it seems pretty clear to me that it's not only a matter of me not knowing what categories qualify for charges, but that even clear-cut cases (two nights @ $140 + tax result in < 5*280 (=1400) points) don't always post correctly.

My bigger gripe is actually that Gx or Diamond amenity often don't post without follow-up with GP CS (and for those I do chase after them), and that partner mileage program selection is at least at HP properties usually not processed as entered/selected.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 7:31 pm

Hyatt shortchanged me (LT) ... base points. What about you?

Ric (Loyalty Traveler Blog) posts ...

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/loyalt...hat-about-you/

Anybody else?

I admit, I never really check that and just assume that they always get it right. I do check for missing bonuses, etc.

-David
Old Dec 17, 2010, 7:42 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Platinum
it has happened to me. more than once, but I would not say frequently.

although slightly OT, it almost always happens if original bill is reduced by a gift card or other "credit".

for some reason, Hyatt seems the chain with which I have the greatest issues with regards to points posting...
Old Dec 17, 2010, 7:43 pm

I’ve rarely been able to reconcile precisely the base points for a stay – sometimes its a little short other times its somewhat over. As long as the difference is not significant (up to say 200 points per stay – I ignore it). The bonus points are much more significant and I pay attention to those.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by peteropny
I’ve rarely been able to reconcile precisely the base points for a stay – sometimes its a little short other times its somewhat over. As long as the difference is not significant (up to say 200 points per stay – I ignore it). The bonus points are much more significant and I pay attention to those.
But how hard is it to take your base rate and multiply it by 5? And why isn't it just automated?

I understand what you're saying and I'm not going to get my knickers all twisted up over a few points. I'll let Ric do it for me.

-David
Old Dec 17, 2010, 8:01 pm

Programs: Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott // WN, AA, BA, UA, AS // Avis
What about hotel spend (restaurants, gift shop purchases, spa services, etc) that are charged to the room. Do they also accumlate 5 points per dollar, or a different rate?

Like many others, I've only paid attention to Gx and other bonuses posting correctly, never really looked at the base points.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Same here. I think we discussed this earlier in the year in this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt...lculation.html
Old Dec 18, 2010, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by rajuabju
What about hotel spend (restaurants, gift shop purchases, spa services, etc) that are charged to the room. Do they also accumlate 5 points per dollar, or a different rate?

Like many others, I've only paid attention to Gx and other bonuses posting correctly, never really looked at the base points.
Only charges that are to hotel operated sources are eligible for credit (at 5 points per $) but not charges to contracted out services.

Restaurants, Bar, Room Service, and Telephone charges are almost always eligible. Spa Services depends on if its contracted out. Gift Shop and Valet Parking are usually not eligible.

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
But how hard is it to take your base rate and multiply it by 5? And why isn't it just automated?
It shouldn't be - but the concept seems to escape even some Private Line Agents (not mine but a Flyertalker has told me that there was an argument why its x5 for base points).

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Same here. I think we discussed this earlier in the year in this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt...lculation.html
Thanks - I'll merge the threads.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 7:06 am

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Based on the article, I checked my base points and all of them from this year posted correctly. I thought for sure I would have been short changed on at least one stay since I never really look at the base points but it was all good. It probably helps that I chose miles for half of my 34 stays this year since there were so many good airline promos, but 17 stays posting base points correctly is good in my book. However, if it is true that the hotel keys in the nightly rate, this would make sense because I stay at the same 5-6 hotels for the most part. Thanks to the OP for bringing the topic up!
Old Dec 18, 2010, 10:34 am

Programs: Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott // WN, AA, BA, UA, AS // Avis
Only charges that are to hotel operated sources are eligible for credit (at 5 points per $) but not charges to contracted out services.

Restaurants, Bar, Room Service, and Telephone charges are almost always eligible. Spa Services depends on if its contracted out. Gift Shop and Valet Parking are usually not eligible.
Ok, so now this has pique'd my interest and I'm trying to reconcile points between what I have received and what I THINK the number should be.

Is the Annara spa in Kauai contracted out or no? How do I find that out. My guess is that I didnt get points for the nearly $1,000 I spent there.

I didnt expect Valet to be counted so I removed that along with independent shops (like an on-site Sunglass Hut). Although its interesting that I could still bill that to the room and pay it with Costco certs.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by rajuabju
Is the Annara spa in Kauai contracted out or no? How do I find that out. My guess is that I didnt get points for the nearly $1,000 I spent there.
According to http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt...l#post14689151 post 620 onwards, the spa at GH Kauai should count.

Before Hyatt switched to the Opera software for folios - it was much easier to determine what charges on the folio (not necessarily what should or should not) will post (those without an * next to the charge).
Old Dec 18, 2010, 5:28 pm

Programs: Accor Plat,SGP plat, Hyatt Dia, PC Plat, QF Plat, SG TPP, TG Gold
It appears that one common problem ( ...common to the extent that it has happened to me 3 times in the past month) is with pre-paid stays. Base points posted for those 1 night stays were something like 400 points, ie about $40 . The hotels had not looked at and posted points for the pre-payment but only incidentals. It took 2 calls to the so-called GP helpline in Australia ( in reality it's the reservations number) before the problem was rectified

Originally Posted by Gold Passport Concierge
Dear Flyertalk Members,

We realize that distinguishing eligible and ineligible incidental charges can be confusing, and I wanted to provide some clarification on this topic. Eligible charges vary on a hotel-by-hotel basis, but generally include food, beverage and lounge expenditures, with the exception of outlets not operated by the hotel.

Sincerely,
Karen Smith

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.