Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz San Diego REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Feb 19, 2010, 9:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, IC Amb

Don't think I've seen a review yet since the Ivy Hotel became part of the Hyatt chain, so I thought I'd offer some info, observations and comparisons to Andaz West Hollywood (WeHo) and other hotels in the immediate area.

ANdAZ San Diego
Date of stay: Feb 17, 2009
Rate: AAA (10% off lowest online rate)
Used Diamond Confirmed Suite Upgrade Award
Room: 515 sq ft King Bed Suite on 6th Floor (rooftop is 7th)

Valet: $30 charge, in-out privileges, friendly (for most part), though car retrieval can take a while and no water bottles provided; there was 1 issue that I will bring up later.

Check-in: unlike the ANdAZ WeHo, there's a traditional front desk here (though HOST's greet you in front of the desk) and HOST's are professionally attired. They'll offer you refreshment upon check-in. Also, from 5:30pm, they offer complimentary wine as well at the front desk. Their system is not fully in-synch with Hyatt GP program yet as I had to provide my Hyatt GP number...good thing I had my new Diamond card with me. They did mention I get 1 complimentary breakfast entree and beverage (though charge still showed up on my folio) and offered 2pm late check-out for the following day.

Suite: compared to a 800 sq ft Andaz (corner) suite at WeHo, the 515 sq ft Andaz suite at SD was disappointingly small. The SD suite though has a warm sense thanks to plentiful rich, contemporary hardwood for flooring, closet, minibar, heardboard and canopy. 2 flat panel displays with actual HD feed.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22167723@N02/4371898723
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22167723@N02/4372653450
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22167723@N02/4371901753

Best of all, the bathroom at SD was stupendous compared to the 2 meager bathrooms in a WeHo suite. Huge tavertine, rainbath shower area with large soaking tub and a large, private toilet. The Korres Natural Products toiletries, though visually appealing, were just OK IMO and those damn twist caps are hard to open when bottle and hands are wet. But the soaps and skin products coming in plastic cases were a nice touch.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22167723@N02/4371901721
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22167723@N02/4371901863
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22167723@N02/4372653550

One particular highlight is the mini bar. Just like WeHo, the ANdAZ standard seems to be a few complimentary snacks and multiple non-alcoholic beverages. But this hotel, formerly having been the very adult Ivy Hotel, offers interesting "luxury items" as well such as Booty Parlor's Intimacy Love Kit ($30) - contents include vibrating couples ring, add magic lubricant, don't stop massage oil and safe is sexy condoms x2. There's a nice selection of premium liquor as well: 4 bottles of Grey Goose, Corzo Tequila, Bombay Sapphire Gin, Bacardi Rum, Jack Daniels, Johnny Walker Black Label & Bailey's. Along with lots of pay snacks, tonic water, club soda, cocktail shaker & even a jar of olives. Another great feature is a Keurig coffee maker.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22167723@N02/4371901685
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22167723@N02/4371901933

Hotel Location: great if you want to be near the heart of the Gaslamp Quarter; rooms on the southwest corner would offer the best views but also suffer from the most noise due traffic and Double Deuce, the large bar with a mechanical bull that's directly across from the hotel.
No on-site spa or club lounge
Fitness center: small, on top floor and open 24 hrs

Ivy Rooftop: great, wide-open lounge area; large flame pit; cool bar; small pool but a few roomy cabanas. Have enjoyed it in the past; can get particularly crowded on weekends. It'd be cool if they offered a few of those pods that the WeHo has or the heated sand floor like the beach bar at the W San Diego.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22167723@N02/4371901813
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22167723@N02/4371901895
Others' photo links:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/amygarrick/2486023343
http://www.flickr.com/photos/amygarrick/2486836306
http://www.flickr.com/photos/amygarrick/2486013179
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tomsmithjr/2357835329

Quarter Restaurant: went for breakfast only but it's very expansive, contemporary, with an open kitchen; disappointed in the basic breakfast menu - rather basic (boring) but may be different for dinner.

Ivy Ultra Lounge and Wine Bar: has walls of automatic wine dispensers where you can get a taste, half and full glasses of specific wines including Opus One

Ivy Nightclub (Thu-Sa 9pm-2am): formerly Club Envy and is still a scene in San Diego

Hotel guests receive VIP admission to both NC and Rooftop.

Alas, if you're not familiar with the area, just know that there's plenty of other dining, lounge, bar, club venues within a short walking distance as well.

For the above reasons, I would never consider it as a family-friendly hotel or as a peaceful, relaxing destination. If looking for such, I would definitely recommend the Hyatt Regency Mission Bay Spa and Marina. The ANdAZ SD is synonymous with nightlife, much like the WeHo one is on the Sunset Strip.

Service at valet, front desk, lounge and restaurant were fine except for 1 issue I'd like to bring up:
In-room brochure states hotel provides car with driver "to take you to the airport, for a ride around town, or for a night out in the Gaslamp Quarter." Supposedly, you arrange it through your HOST, but after calling down in the morning to request it, I was transfered to valet. Well, this one valet prick indicated in a brusque manner that car service wasn't available for my desired timeframe. When I inquired as to other times, he then stated that the car wouldn't be available at any time as it was reserved for the GM for outside meetings for much of the day. I then kindly called the GM Rusty Middleton to inquire as to alternative car service arrangements. He was surprised by the valet's response and looked into the matter. Turns out the primary car was being serviced that day and thus unavailable; GM apologized and arranged for a secondary vehicle (Black Escalade) for me. Hope others don't get treated as rudely as I did at first. If only their car service was on par with the Acura Experience at W Hotels. But I appreciated the availability and attention by the GM.

I've stayed at every Hyatt and Starwood hotel as well as others in the San Diego area, and I have to say that the Andaz is at or near the top as my favorite for business or weekend trip (with wife only). For an urban, contemporary hotel, I prefer it over the W SD on the basis of location, comp internet and breakfast. I can't ever see myself returning to the Manchester Grand Hyatt unless its rate is substantially below the Andaz and Mission Bay properties, which it rarely is.

When I get a chance this weekend, I will upload the photos from my Blackberry to this review.

Last edited by W2B Globetrotter; Feb 20, 2010 at 4:11 am Reason: added photo links
Old Feb 19, 2010, 9:26 pm

Good Day:

Thank you "W2B Globetrotter" for your very interesting report.

I shall stay at this location in a couple of weeks.

Having stayed previously at all the San Diego and La Jolla Hyatt properties as well as West Hollywood I am looking forward to compare .

What is the deal with "the car"?

Can you get a ride to the airport and what is the cost?

Cheers.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 9:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by courcoison
What is the deal with "the car"? Can you get a ride to the airport and what is the cost?
Excellent review. Thank you. Also interested in the question above.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 9:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by courcoison
What is the deal with "the car"?

Can you get a ride to the airport and what is the cost?
Yes (to the airport) according to in-room brochure. I think you just have to tip the driver...that's all I did. But you may want to call in advance and inquire.

Cheers
Old Feb 19, 2010, 10:53 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Thanks for the report. Cant wait to try it. Does your diamond allowance cover the breakfast amount at the restaurant?
Old Feb 19, 2010, 11:48 pm

Programs: OZ LT D+, UA 1K, AS MVPG AF Gold, SPG Platinum (8 years), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold
I also should bring my diamond card.. Even though I reserved the room with Travelzoo rate, I will try to use my suite upgrade in March.. BTW, minibar is free or not?

Also, if the ride to the airport is free as that is advertised in Andaz.com, it's awesome benefit!! I don't need rent-a-car in SD!! Nice.. But, some indicates Escaladae service is limited within 1 mile.. Need more accurate information..

Last edited by OneWorldTraveller; Feb 19, 2010 at 11:54 pm
Old Feb 20, 2010, 2:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chanp
Thanks for the report. Cant wait to try it. Does your diamond allowance cover the breakfast amount at the restaurant?
Yes. Diamond allowance should cover breakfast (bkfst entrees from $10 to $20), but I won't know for sure until I see an updated folio.

Originally Posted by OneWorldTraveller
I also should bring my diamond card.. Even though I reserved the room with Travelzoo rate, I will try to use my suite upgrade in March.. BTW, minibar is free or not?

Also, if the ride to the airport is free as that is advertised in Andaz.com, it's awesome benefit!! I don't need rent-a-car in SD!! Nice.. But, some indicates Escaladae service is limited within 1 mile.. Need more accurate information..
Complimentary Andaz offering: Pringles, Ghiradelli Chocolate Bar, Cliff Mojo Bar), Evian, Badoit mineral water, small diet coke & sprite, Nantucket Nectar Orange and Cranberry Juices, Snapple Lemonade, Snapple Iced Tea

Again, I don't know the full details as to extent of car service other than what I quoted from the in-room brochure. Best to inquire with hotel.
Old Feb 20, 2010, 4:02 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Thanks for the trip report. Good to read that they are already fully complied with GPP rules & regulations, however offering a suite that measures 515 sqft. is really nothing to write home about.
Old Feb 20, 2010, 8:57 am

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Originally Posted by W2B Globetrotter
Yes. Diamond allowance should cover breakfast (bkfst entrees from $10 to $20), but I won't know for sure until I see an updated folio.

Complimentary Andaz offering: Pringles, Ghiradelli Chocolate Bar, Cliff Mojo Bar), Evian, Badoit mineral water, small diet coke & sprite, Nantucket Nectar Orange and Cranberry Juices, Snapple Lemonade, Snapple Iced Tea

Again, I don't know the full details as to extent of car service other than what I quoted from the in-room brochure. Best to inquire with hotel.
Can you ask to see if they will let u use ur diamond allowance at the bar or restaurant for dinner instead of breakfast? I've had that happen to me.
Old Feb 20, 2010, 12:59 pm

OP: great work. Thank you.
Old Feb 20, 2010, 6:40 pm

Location: Since the BoSox and ChiSox won it, now it is the Cubs turn to take the Series. Go Cubs Go!
I spent New Year's Eve at the Ivy Hotel's nightclub twice, and it is a very good time. I would caution about the noise from the nightclub and rooftop lounge which stays open until 2:00 am Thursday thru Sunday, as it is NOT family friendly. I visited this hotel specifically for the NYE nightlife, although I did not stay there, and I highly recommend a visit to the lounge or nightclub. I do not expect any major changes to this hotel from Hyatt other than rebranding.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 11:45 am

Location: LAX-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain. United 1K! Other
Programs: RCC,HHonors Diamond,HGVC Elite,SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond,Nat'l Emerald Exec Elite, Disney Premier Pass
Originally Posted by W2B Globetrotter
Snapple Iced Tea?! bleh. At the WeHo Andaz and Wall St Andaz (where I currently am), they have better, more interesting brands. Here at Wall St. it's "Harney & Sons" Organic Black Tea. Fairly good tasting, although slightly sweetened (with organic cane sugar and organic honey). I prefer unsweetened in my bottled iced tea. But seriously, Snapple?? Opaque rustwater.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 5:34 pm
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
Originally Posted by JonathanIT
Snapple Iced Tea?! bleh. At the WeHo Andaz and Wall St Andaz (where I currently am), they have better, more interesting brands. Here at Wall St. it's "Harney & Sons" Organic Black Tea. Fairly good tasting, although slightly sweetened (with organic cane sugar and organic honey). I prefer unsweetened in my bottled iced tea. But seriously, Snapple?? Opaque rustwater.
This is quite likely to change after they deplete what they have left in their supply from when the property was the Ivy.
Old Mar 8, 2010, 2:05 pm

Programs: OZ LT D+, UA 1K, AS MVPG AF Gold, SPG Platinum (8 years), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold
I just finished my 2 nights stay at Andaz San Diego. I used 1 travelzoo night(139$) and one FFN. I used diamond suite upgrade for the first night, but I was confirmed I could keep the same room at check-in. Nice deal. Room was Loft King (not called as a suite in andaz.com) looks like junior suite with separate living room and flat panel display. Room has no bath, but only shower booth.

Minibar was nice, but didn't refill daily even though front desk say so. So, we had to ask refill, and they did. But not pleasant..

Diamond breakfast was nice for free. I could pick two entrees and two beverages. Price range 11~12, only exception; steak (in the morning?) was 20$..

Rooftop and NC were both gorgeous, but in the day I didn't go there, I could not sleep until 2am when they close..

Nice property.. I wanna visit another Andaz soon..
Old Mar 15, 2010, 11:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC E, *G x2, BMI Silver, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, PC Platinum, Hilton Gold
My Recent Stay

A little bit more information about my recent stay at the Andaz San Diego, along with an array of photos can be found on my blog

The last couple of times I had been in San Diego, I had stayed at the W Hotel, and have been really impressed with the service and upgrades I have received there. So why would I choose to stay at a new hotel, which is a part of a new brand, and is a part of a loyalty program I don't have status with our have points saved up with yet?

Simple, the ANdAZ San Diego had a great promotion they were running, the ANdAZ brand is new and in direct competition with W Hotels, and the Loyalty program, Hyatt Gold Passport, currently has a fast-track to Platinum promotion that I couldn't pass up!

After arriving in San Diego, I made a stop inthe Red Carpet Club, hooked up the the airport's free wi-fi and I signed up for a Hyatt Gold Passport account, using the signup form which is a part of the promotion page for the fast-track to diamond status and seconds later, I had a new Hyatt Gold Passport account number and was already a Platinum Member, and would have some added benefits with my very first stay, which I was about to book!

I booked a one night stay at the ANdAZ San Diego, using the promo code ANDAZ5, which in addition to 5000 bonus Hyatt Gold Passport points (enough for a free night at a category 1 hotel) also gave me a $50 credit to spend at the hotel!

I called the hotel, to ask if they had an airport shuttle, just in case, but as I expected they did not. So I hopped in a cab, for the short 10 minute drive the ANdAZ San Diego which is located in the Gaslamp District of Downtown San Diego, which to start is a much better location than the W Hotel.

Although the ANdAZ is a new hotel in San Diego, it is a rebranding of the Ivy Hotel, which has made quite a name for itself in the areas of night-life and happy hour since its opening a few years ago. The ANdAZ brand took over about a month before my stay, and according to staff on site, except for specific ANdAZ branded ammenities around the hotel, not much had changed from the former Ivy Hotel. A couple of days earlier, the software used at check-in and in food and beverage had just been changed, so there were still a technical glitches that had to be worked through during my visit, but nothing a couple minutes of patience didn't take care of!

The lobby still has a check-in desk, which is supposed to be removed shortly to match the ANdAZ brand policy of having roaming front desk agents, rather than a check-in desk that guests line up at. The laptops were facing outwards at the desk though, so you stood beside the check-in agent, rather than facing him. This actually allows you to see the rate etc you are paying, and although different, was an interesting experience. This also allows the check-in agent to serve you a glass of wine, and other refreshments during check-in although this was not offered to me, although they were at the end of the desk, but I will chalk this up to a new staff member, who was working his way through new software.

The check-in agents also preform a couple of rolls, and are officially titled, Hosts. They are bellman, concierges, front desk clerks, and I am sure a few more things as well, but it does make for a one-stop shop when checking in, and is an interesting concept. Unfortunately I didn't have too many questions or need any specials services, and didn't need any special attention. But everyone I saw milling about the lobby was friendly and ready to help!

As I was checking in at about 12:30 a mere 15 minutes after making my reservation, my room was not ready. But I had some work to do, so the offer to head up to the rooftop bar / lounge / pool area where there was free wi-fi sounded even better than working in my hotel room!

The view from the roof was outstanding, and the sun felt good, although it was a little hard to deal with the glare from my screen, but I managed some how! The wifi signal up on the roof was a little weak, in fact I couldn't find anything that resembled what it might be in my computer's wireless network settings, and when I asked the bartender what the network name I was looking for should be, he responded that he wasn't sure... but a lot of people used there laptops up here, so it has to be there... I asked if he could perhaps call down and find out for me... but his phone wasn't working... said the internet not working probably had something to do with that... umm sure... whatever you say!

I was kind of disappointed that he offered no other solution to my request, so did as much work as I could without the internet connection, and then went down to the lobby to connect up, and wait for my room. I did end up getting a week signal up on the roof, but never strong enough to stay connected for more than a minute, and where I was originally sitting did not have service at all. I guess something wasn't working right up there, but again, I was kind of disappointed that the bartender didn't have the capacity to resolve it for me.

After working down in the lobby for another 10 minutes, I was told my room was ready, and the check-in process was finished. I was told about a few features of the hotel, certain mini bar items are free (consult the mini bar menu in the room I was told), and wireless internet in the room was complimentary as well. I retrieved my bag from storage, and went up to my room, which had been upgraded from the Queen Bed I booked to a King bed, so my Platinum benefits were indeed already kicking in!

The room was #327 and although not overly spacious, did contain a fair sized desk with a comfortable chair (which backed into the corner of the bed as there wasn't much space), a small couch and coffee table, and a large Sony Flatscreen TV which had some funky tunes playing when I entered the room! The only downside other than the somewhat cramped feel to the room, was the view into the centre courtyard of the hotel. Although you can't really call it a courtyard, as the view is only of a gravel roof, and some equipment. But the windows did let in a lot of light, and the people in the other rooms were for the most part not there, so my privacy wasn't too hampered on this stay!

The Bathroom was a rather large size, with the sink separated from the toilet and shower by a half wall. The dark tile and copious amounts of glass in the vanity and the shower made for a very rich looking space! I also really liked the fact that the glass shower enclosure had a hole cut in it, so one can turn on the tap in the shower, without entering the shower and being hit by cold water. This is something I first saw at the W hotel in San Diego, and think every shower should have!

The bathroom amenities were a Greek Brand I have never heard of before, called Korres. A wide array of items were on display, including 50 mL bottles of Aloe & Soapwort Shampoo, Achillea Conditioner, Basil Lemon Showergel and Basil Lemon Body Milk. There was also a small case with two bars of soap, Milk Soap for Stressed Skin, and Calendula Softening Soap. There was a second case containing little 2 mL packets of Wild Rose Cream, Thyme Honey Cream, Evening Primrose Eye Cream (all spf 6), White Teas Facial Fluid Gel Cleanser and a 9 mL packet of Body Butter Guava.Those cases will be handy when packing for future trips!

The towels, although not the softest I have seen, and this was not because they were old but rather just the weave, were the heaviest towels I have ever seen in my life. If my grandmother were alive, handing her one of the bath towels would surely have thrown her balance off knocking her to the ground!

After finishing a little more work, I took a refreshing shower and then set out in search of dinner and a beer! The wonderful thing about this hotel is there are literally hundreds if not thousands of great restaurants and pubs within walking distance in the Gaslamp District of San Diego. Tonight my choice was Italian, with some beer afterwards at the Yard House, a bar and restaurant with a couple of hundred beer on tap! They may want to consider a name change... Heaven!

I went up to the rooftop bar for a nightcap and to use up some of my $50 credit. The two Mojito styled drinks I had were fantastic, and well made. The evening bartender was more friendly and capable, and we struck up quite an enjoyable conversation after a couple of entertaining drunk Norwegians finally figured out how to sign their bill, and asked about local tipping policies! Although I didn't take advantage of the happy hour earlier, the $15 drinks I had at the bar would have been $5 during happy hour, so a great price on a great poolside rooftop venue. Surprisingly with the low prices, the bartender stated it is isn't as busy as you'd think up there, but he has witnessed some pretty great nights of partying in his couple of years working there!

After heading back down to the room for bed, I was greatly impressed to find the Sony speaker dock on the desk would indeed charge and play music from my iPhone, something lots of iPod dock connector speaker systems don't do. So I set my alarm, and called down for a wakeup call, and crawled into the very comfy bed, between some very soft sheets, and had a great nights sleep!

In the morning after a very refreshing shower, I made my way down to the restaurant, Quarter Kitchen, to use up the rest of my stay credit, and had a fantastic breakfast while reading the paper.

The server on that morning, wasn't a man of many words, and wasn't all that friendly, however the female manager (i'm guessing) was cheery enough for both of them, and made the stay pleasant. Although the coffee was a little weak for my liking, the Orange Juice if not freshly squeezed, did a good job of tasting so. I had the SoCal Huevos Rancheros off the breakfast menu, for if I recall correctly $11, and was very satisfied with the flavour and portion size. It consisted of three corn tortillas a couple of semi-runny eggs, and a plethora of cheese, onions, peppers and flavour! It was served with fresh dry salsa and sour cream. I would head back there for that item alone the next time I am in San Diego!

So what are my overall thoughts about the ANdAZ San Diego? I wasn't wowed by the room as much as the Suite Upgrades I get at the W, but it was a nice hotel, and had many of the same amenities and services available. I think it will be good competition for the W, and I look forward to visiting again or at other ANdAZ hotels (there are only three others at this time, in LA, NYC and London) in the coming years!

I was also pretty impressed with the amenities they throw in for free. So much so, that I have switched a few planned stays in the next couple of months from Starwood to Hyatt properties. It will be interesting to compare the benefits of the two programs, and will be nice to have some different options when travelling!

Another thing which impressed me, was after sending out a tweet that I was at the hotel, the GM sent me a personal message on Twitter thanking me for staying at the ANdAZ, and asking me how my stay was, along with providing me his name and email address... A nice touch, and showing they cater to a clientele that is always connected!

Overall I am a big fan of the ANdAZ brand, and will be staying in a number of Hyatt Hotels over the next few months because of the experience of this stay!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.