Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Centric Wall Street New York (ex-Andaz) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Hyatt Centric Wall Street New York (ex-Andaz) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Mar 31, 2015, 5:27 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Diamond
Was wondering if anyone had experience with booking this property via Chase's Luxury Hotels collection.... I'm a Hyatt Platinum, but was wondering if this property is good about upgrades via Chase's LHR program, and what I can expect from the breakfast.

Thanks!
Old May 3, 2015, 5:22 pm

Programs: ex-Delta DM (NWA was nice while it lasted), Hyatt Diamond
Meh

Wanted to see the Statue of Liberty a little while back (school vacation) so we took a chance on a one night stay here, since the price was just too good to pass up, even though we've stayed here enough to know better and haven't been back in 3 years.

So. Decent rate, decent room. Check-in was much smoother and more pleasant, although as we were checking in, an irate diamond was leaving after trying to get his breakfast charges sorted out. He whispered to me on his way out (we chatted while he was waiting) that I would certainly miss the 5th Ave breakfast.

He was right. Although the rate was really decent, the demise of the restaurant and now the very limited buffet and menu choices - well- not so good if your rate has breakfast or are a diamond. Certainly not the property to go to for anything but a somewhat decent place to sleep; certainly nothing special.
Old May 4, 2015, 7:30 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat
Andaz counter arguement

I'll start by saying I'm Diamond and we experienced some of the same issues as others, mostly a lame breakfast. A few of the staff didn't seem to care much while others were very polite and proactive.

Here's my bottom line on the Andaz WS: if someone else is paying for my stay (ie, work trip) I'll most likely stay somewhere else. If I am out of pocket I'll definitely stay here again, without question, and here's why:
1. The price is unbeatable for such a nice room. Sure there are better rooms but few at that price point.
2. The room we had was $130 cheaper than any other upper end Hyatt in NY. I'll take the room, skip the breakfast, spend $30 on an awesome bagel place for the family and put the other $100 towards anything else in NY.
3. Some don't like the fact that AWS is far from the bright lights of TS but that's exactly what we loved. Walked the Brooklyn Bridge, the winding downtown streets, good kids park at SSS. A nice break from the throngs.
4. We did a paid stay and used a DSU and they gladly upgraded us to the large suite, added a rollaway and made up the sofa for the kids.

Are there Hyatts with better breakfasts and nicer staff, sure but none at this price.

Just my $.02
Old May 4, 2015, 8:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Dcislander
1. The price is unbeatable for such a nice room. Sure there are better rooms but few at that price point.
Weekends only. During the week rooms often go for over $500.

It's a very good sized room, which people tend to overlook here in focusing on this property's perceived shortcomings. This is a city where you can pay over $350/night to stay in a Hilton Garden Inn.

3. Some don't like the fact that AWS is far from the bright lights of TS but that's exactly what we loved. Walked the Brooklyn Bridge, the winding downtown streets, good kids park at SSS. A nice break from the throngs.
Times Square is for tourists. There are many more appealing areas to stay in Manhattan than either TS or WS.
Old May 7, 2015, 9:05 am

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Worth it for Diamond to book a large king for better upgrade?

This weekend, I could book a baseline king for around $159, or a large king for $193. As a Diamond, is it worth booking the large king for a shot at a real suite?
Old May 7, 2015, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by Explore
This weekend, I could book a baseline king for around $159, or a large king for $193. As a Diamond, is it worth booking the large king for a shot at a real suite?
Your chances of getting an Andaz Suite will be the same. They will upgrade a Diamond to a suite as long as it is available no matter what rate or room you have booked. Keep in mind, they have frequently weddings on weekends and suites are filled up. I would say I have a 70% success rate of being offered an upgrade in the past 2 years.
Old May 7, 2015, 10:04 am

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by TAHKUCT
Your chances of getting an Andaz Suite will be the same. They will upgrade a Diamond to a suite as long as it is available no matter what rate or room you have booked. Keep in mind, they have frequently weddings on weekends and suites are filled up. I would say I have a 70% success rate of being offered an upgrade in the past 2 years.
Thanks for that information. How about if I book the so-called Andaz Suite (610 sq ft) which is also reasonably priced this weekend - would an upgrade be offered above that if rooms are available - if so would it be to a "large suite" (1,030 sq ft) with northward view? Does it make a difference if you use a DSU certificate?
Old May 7, 2015, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by Explore
Thanks for that information. How about if I book the so-called Andaz Suite (610 sq ft) which is also reasonably priced this weekend - would an upgrade be offered above that if rooms are available - if so would it be to a "large suite" (1,030 sq ft) with northward view? Does it make a difference if you use a DSU certificate?
You are welcome. That I am not sure. However only was offered it as a paid upgrade and always declined as Andaz Suite is just fine for my needs as I only sleep in the room.
Old May 28, 2015, 1:59 pm

Just completed a 3 night stay here. Here's a quick review:
  • Check-in: Walked into the lobby and was greeted by Charles. He was very enthusiastic, reiterating several times to let him know if there was ANYTHING we needed. We did get upgraded from the standard king room to a large king.
  • Room was nice enough. Bed was more firm than mine at home, which I like. The pillows were excellent. The TV displaying "no signal", so we called the front desk and a tech was there and fixed it inside of 5 minutes. The ledge / seat by the window was quite handy for living out of a suitcase for a few days.
  • Bathroom: This was my first experience with wood floors in a hotel room. They were fine, except right next to the shower area. The shower and tub are in the same room, and there's only a small lip to catch the water from the shower. The problem is, if you're standing in the shower and the water is hitting you, it splashes over the lip to near the door, and then runs out onto the wood floor. Therefore, when you walk on the wood right next to the shower area, it's apparent the wood isn't properly attached to the floor. Wasn't wet, you could just tell it had been before. The tub was nice!
  • Minibar: was stocked with 2 bottles of water, 1 can each of coke/diet coke/sprite, and some other things. The snacks were potato chips, a chocolate bar, and granola bars. This was refilled each day by the time we got back.
  • Service: Absolutely wonderful. We were greeted with smiles every time we walked through the lobby. No matter who the host, they always asked if they could help us with anything, and seemed happy to be asking. Very pleasant overall.
  • Other: Room was very quiet, never heard hallway noise possibly due to lower occupancy on a weekend. Didn't try any food from either room service or the restaurant. Ordered calzones from Cucina Benne one night -- BTW, they were fantastic and cheap.
Old May 28, 2015, 11:57 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Interesting that there's no alcohol in the minibar of an Andaz in NYC.

When I first stayed here, I had a FHR rate that included free minibar. I asked in advance exactly what this was supposed to mean, including whether it would be restocked during my stay. The answer was yes (daily), but I noticed that when it was restocked, items were replaces with cheaper stuff of the same category--i.e., a small bottle of champagne by a smaller bottle of sparkling wine. In retrospect, I should have complained.
Old May 29, 2015, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Interesting that there's no alcohol in the minibar of an Andaz in NYC.

When I first stayed here, I had a FHR rate that included free minibar. I asked in advance exactly what this was supposed to mean, including whether it would be restocked during my stay. The answer was yes (daily), but I noticed that when it was restocked, items were replaces with cheaper stuff of the same category--i.e., a small bottle of champagne by a smaller bottle of sparkling wine. In retrospect, I should have complained.
There was alcohol, I just didn't mention it. Don't remember what was refrigerated, there was a couple bottles of something. Then there was some vodka, Johnny Walker Black, and something else on the counter.
Old May 30, 2015, 5:11 am

Programs: Platinum SPG, Marriott Platinum, United 1K, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum,
Just completed two weekday nights at the WS Andaz, and yes, there is beer in the refrigerator as well as bottles of alcohol in the bar area. Yet with the India Club and Harry's Bar just two blocks away and with Cirpriani's right on Wall Street, the point is to go outside and enjoy this very special part of Manhattan.

If I am downtown NYC, I certainly choose not to eat lunch or dinner at any hotel restaurant (unless it is the Ritz Carlton Battery Park Club which is the best hotel in this area). I have had the breakfast at this hotel. The price is reasonable for NYC and just fine, especially the bagels and lox.

I like the WS Andaz because of its location and its price point is very good for NYC. I find the staff very professional and courteous.
Old May 30, 2015, 9:29 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Concorde28
Just completed two weekday nights at the WS Andaz, and yes, there is beer in the refrigerator as well as bottles of alcohol in the bar area. Yet with the India Club and Harry's Bar just two blocks away and with Cirpriani's right on Wall Street, the point is to go outside and enjoy this very special part of Manhattan.

If I am downtown NYC, I certainly choose not to eat lunch or dinner at any hotel restaurant (unless it is the Ritz Carlton Battery Park Club which is the best hotel in this area). I have had the breakfast at this hotel. The price is reasonable for NYC and just fine, especially the bagels and lox.

I like the WS Andaz because of its location and its price point is very good for NYC. I find the staff very professional and courteous.
Yes, it's nice to go out of the hotel and explore if one wants to do so, but an upscale hotel should also have options for drinks and meals for those who choose not to go out when exhausted, suffering bad jet lagged, or experiencing a rainstorm or blizzard.

It can also be a bit different for women travelers, who can understandably be concerned about safety issues associated with walking even a few blocks alone at night in an unfamiliar neighborhood for dinner or drinks in some bar but still don't want to "settle" for room service.
Old May 31, 2015, 5:22 am

Programs: Platinum SPG, Marriott Platinum, United 1K, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum,
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Yes, it's nice to go out of the hotel and explore if one wants to do so, but an upscale hotel should also have options for drinks and meals for those who choose not to go out when exhausted, suffering bad jet lagged, or experiencing a rainstorm or blizzard.

It can also be a bit different for women travelers, who can understandably be concerned about safety issues associated with walking even a few blocks alone at night in an unfamiliar neighborhood for dinner or drinks in some bar but still don't want to "settle" for room service.
The Andaz Wall Street offers room service and does have a restaurant so no need to worry about going outside. It's just a matter of personal preference given better options in the neighborhood.

As for safety, there are several cities where I avoid walking as there are no pedestrians during the day or evening. The Wall Street area is quite safe and New Yorkers love to walk.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 6:39 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
1 Night Stay

Just completed a 1-night stay at Andaz WS. I'm a Diamond member and reserved a P+C reservation. Here is a summary of my stay:

- Got upgraded to a suite on the 8th floor, nice!
- The clear glass see through door to the shower is odd
- The power shades is a cool feature, my 16 year old son loved that!
- Snacks in the room were generous : granola bars, chips, sparkling water, OJ, Diet Coke, regular Coke
- The slippers had the Andaz logo on them
- Diamond amenity, I chose the mole skin planner. They forgot to bring it to the room. I reminded them and the next day (we had 4pm checkout) they brought it up to the room.
- Breakfast buffet, included for Diamond members, was pretty average
- Location is very good for walking to the pier for water taxi, heliport for sight seeing, Brooklyn Bridge to walk/bike across, subway, Staten Island ferry, Freedom Tower and 9/11 memorial

Overall a solid choice in the Hyatt NY stable if you need/want to stay in the Financial district area.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.