Boston - Which hotel??

Old Apr 2, 2004, 9:45 am
Original Poster

Boston - Which hotel??

Going to Boston in May...Flying in late Friday and leaving late sunday...Out of the 3 hotels in area is there one of them that is much better than the rest.

Important issues would be.
1-ease of getting from airport.
2-ease of getting to "tourist" areas.
3-ease of getting to Fenway Park.

I see only Cambridge has a RC, but don't know if it is open on weekends anyway.

Thanks for any help.
Old Apr 2, 2004, 11:57 am

Programs: AA/EXP 3MM; UA/1K; HY/DIA; SPG/PLT; Fairmont/Life PLT
I liked the BOS-Harborside a lot. I was upgraded to a HUGE corner suite facing the Harbor and the city skyline, very beautiful -- right on the edge of water.

There is a shuttle to/from the airport, as well as the Blue Line. I was told that the Blue Line will take you into all areas of BOS, although with a rental car it's very easy to navigate around BOS, as it is very urbanized.

The Financial Center is nice as well, actually out of the three Hyatts I preferred these two to the Cambridge one, even with lack of RC's. Breakfast coupons were always given for full breakfast in the beautiful dining rooms of the Harbourside or the Financial Center. Diamond amenity of both hotels were excellent too.
Old Apr 2, 2004, 1:36 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
I'll second the boston harborside. We were there last Friday night and they couldn't be more accomodating. My partner was feeling ill after some dodgy curry and a oversold flight from LHR to BOS in coach. They checked us in at 1:00 PM and gave us a nice room (1407?) next to the big suite. We had a nice view of Boston and she spent the whole time in bed. The amenity was delivered quickly.

The shuttle was really handy. I used it to get back to the airport to pick up the Framingham shuttle. They are really great about dropping people off where ever they need to be.

We're coming back for a two day stay at the end of the month, one night will be at the Boston Harborside.

lala
Old Apr 2, 2004, 2:16 pm

Location: Baltimore - Hyatt Lifetime Diamond/Courtesy Card, UA 2M
Harborside is nice, but it is, well, across the harbor from Boston. It is a very good airport hotel, but a pain to get to areas of interest, including Fenway.

Cambridge RC has not been open during my last several stays. If this is important, call the hotel. It is probably closed.

I like Financial district the best. Walking distance to a lot of good restaurants, landmarks, etc. This is not the case for the other two. Breakfast coupons upgraded to steak and eggs for about $3. This was a Swishotel until Hyatt took over.

P.S. - IMHO, Fenway is a terrible park to watch baseball. Unles, of course, you are watching the Yankees lose ther, in which case it is magical.

Last edited by divaof travel; Apr 3, 2004 at 4:26 am
Old Apr 2, 2004, 4:00 pm

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
I would stay in the Financial District; it is the most convenient location even though the immediate environs are a bit strange.
Old Apr 2, 2004, 4:06 pm

As mentioned in another thread, you can get the Financial District for only $40 through Priceline
Old Apr 3, 2004, 3:24 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
I think it's an easy decision: Financial District

This hotel is the best Hyatt in Boston!

It was overbuilt as a Swissotel about 15 years ago. It is due for renovation and then it will be exceptional, but it's still pretty nice.

Location is excellent, just off the Boston Common: great for walking to either the FInancial District/Waterfront/Faneuil Hall in one direction, or across the Boston Common and Public Gardens to the swank boutiques and galleries on Newbury Street in the Back Bay, or Copley Place (mall, Neiman Marcus, Gucci, etc.) and the Prudential Center (Saks). Also, easy walk to Beacon Hill and the Charles Street antique and other shops.

You are also a very short walk from the theatre district, so check out what's playing!

Many excellent restaurants are also within walking distance.

Probably a bit of a hike to walk to Fenway. The best way to get to the game is to the the Green Line from Boylston Street Station (3-5 minute walk from the hotel) just 4 stops to Kenmore Square (as close if not closer than the official "Fenway" stop just after Kenmore Square).

Have fun!
Old Apr 3, 2004, 3:49 pm

Stayed at both several times. Two strong points for Harborside are the spectacular views of the city if you get a room facing the harbor, and the shuttle to the airport which is great for early morning departures. Other than that it is pretty isolated. One restaurant, although the quality of food is pretty good. Water shuttle service is pretty interesting, though not cheap.

The Financial District and its proximity to everything in downtown Boston, parks, shopping, restaurants, tourist sites, etc. is wonderful. The T is close by and you can pretty much get to anywhere within the city. Downtown Crossing station is nearby and, after transferring at State, will take you directly to the Airport Station where shuttle buses will pick you up and drop you off at all terminals.
Old Apr 5, 2004, 10:35 am
Original Poster

I picked Financial District...Went through pricline and got $40 per night...This will be my first "Priceline" experience...Hope it goes smooth...$40 per night is REAL CHEAP for this hotel...Thanks for all your suggestions!!!
Old Apr 7, 2004, 6:30 pm

This hotel's walls need soundproofing!
Old Apr 7, 2004, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by MSP2000
This hotel's walls need soundproofing!
I must agree with MSP's comment. Have stayed at the Hyatt Harborside a handful of times over the last year, but only on Priceline stays.

The walls do need soundproofing. Depending on where you are in the hotel, you'll be able to hear your neighbors, people treking through the halls and other assorted goody noises. One night, I heard a Korean lady yelling into the phone in the room next to me. I thought I'd call the front desk, but was too tired to do so with an early morning flight around the corner.

If you do end up staying at the Harborside, ask them to upgrade you or put you in a room farthest from the elevators. Did this last time (in March) and found no problems with noise.

aloha and good luck!
Old Apr 12, 2004, 7:50 am
Suspended

just for reinforcement, i also got the $40 rate for the financial district property for a late september 2004 stay.

Last edited by fly co to see the yanks; Apr 12, 2004 at 7:55 am
Old Apr 17, 2004, 9:55 pm
Suspended

mini-trip report, financial district

currently staying at the financial district. very easy to get from the T to the property via the Red Line to Downtown Crossing. the staff is very friendly.

placed in a business room on the 20th floor. allowed to check-in early. i like this property but the walls are p-a-p-e-r thin. i could hear standard conversations of my neighbors clearly without trying. and, the room doors slam constantly. so, if you stay at this property, bring earplugs. i can't even believe anyone would construct a hotel with such thin walls. amazing.
Old Apr 18, 2004, 7:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Hyatt Financial District to Fenway & Fanieul (sic?) Hall

I'll be going to Boston for the Dodgers vs. Red Flops series in June, I'm at the Hyatt FD and basically chose this on price. I'll have two friends meeting me there (driving I think unless they T it) If it matters I'm a diamond: A couple of questions.

B/F coupons: How many b/f coupons can I get (3 of us in a room)?
Travel time to Logan via T on a Friday aft and Sunday morning?
Any one get any suite upgrades here?
How much of a hike is it to Fanieul Hall?
Anyone use the Hyatt FD Gym? is it any good?
Parking fees - anyone know what they will charge if my friends drive in?

thanks

Hopefully the Big Blue Wrecking Crew will stay hot
Lights out Fenway if Eric Gagne comes in!!!!
Old Apr 19, 2004, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
I'll be going to Boston for the Dodgers vs. Red Flops series in June, I'm at the Hyatt FD and basically chose this on price. I'll have two friends meeting me there (driving I think unless they T it) If it matters I'm a diamond: A couple of questions.

B/F coupons: How many b/f coupons can I get (3 of us in a room)?
Travel time to Logan via T on a Friday aft and Sunday morning?
Any one get any suite upgrades here?
How much of a hike is it to Fanieul Hall?
Anyone use the Hyatt FD Gym? is it any good?
Parking fees - anyone know what they will charge if my friends drive in?

thanks

Hopefully the Big Blue Wrecking Crew will stay hot
Lights out Fenway if Eric Gagne comes in!!!!
I think the overnight parking in the garage at the hotel is $26.00 a night for self parking. The garage there doesn't seem to be associated with the hotel in that you can't add the charge to your hotel bill. You pay downstairs in the garage when you leave. As for breakfast coupons, I've received two coupons for two adults on one occasion (was not charged for a child to eat) and on two other stays received only one coupon (which was accepted for the entire party of two adults and one child). I have not received a suite upgrade here (3 stays recently as a diamond but all priceline stays). It's a bit of a walk to Fanieul Hall but if the weather is nice, not too bad. Otherwise you can take the T from the Boylston stop to either Government Center or Haymarket on the Green Line. Both of these are close to Fanieul Hall.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.