[EXPIRED] Crowne Plaza Venice East Quarto D Altino 1€

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[EXPIRED] Crowne Plaza Venice East Quarto D Altino 1€

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2009, 10:56 am
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by aldemar
I just spoke to an IHG reservation supervisor and was told the hotel has to honour the bookings made as they are confirmed bookings.

Just be sure to bring a copy of the booking.
I'd feel even more comfortable if IHG ran the credit cards though. I realize it's an absurbly low amount to process, but the action will to some extent "speak greater than words".
Old Aug 12, 2009, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by Moderator2
I'd feel even more comfortable if IHG ran the credit cards though. I realize it's an absurbly low amount to process, but the action will to some extent "speak greater than words".
Rate Description: 2 night minimum stay required. Special Savings! Reservations are final and require full prepayment for the entire stay. Credit card is charged between time of booking and day of arrival. No refunds if cancelled or changed.

So it can take a while until CC will be charged.

My CC will expire next March. I hope the hotel will not say in April that the CC could not be charged (after March) therefore no more reservation.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 2:13 pm

Programs: Spg gold
Stay at both the quarto D'latino and the Molino. Both locations are inconvenient to say the least. If you advise the hotel of the arrival times, the car will be waiting. Otherwise a call from the airport means about a half hour wait. Hotel is not close to Venice at all. Train takes you to Main station where you can hop on a bus or boat to Venice. I find that if you have only a few days to spend, that is a lot of time wasted. We checked into the Molino after CP thinking that we are going to be spoilt but again, we had to struggle with luggage onto the boat, then walked from the dock to the hotel. Not far if you don't have luggage. If breakfast is not included in your rate, be prepared to spend lots of euros. Service in Molino is non-existent. For the same money, you can get better location on Venice itself.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by kmansixty
For the same money, you can get better location on Venice itself.
I'd love to hear of two nights for .01 Euros in Venice. Please advise.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 5:16 pm

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Originally Posted by aldemar
Rate Description: 2 night minimum stay required. Special Savings! Reservations are final and require full prepayment for the entire stay. Credit card is charged between time of booking and day of arrival. No refunds if cancelled or changed.

So it can take a while until CC will be charged.

My CC will expire next March. I hope the hotel will not say in April that the CC could not be charged (after March) therefore no more reservation.

Wow, I never thought about the whole CC thing. The card I used I will not have come next year either. I would hate to show up only to find out they tried to run the charge though the day before, saw it was a closed account, and canceled the reservation. Just something that never crossed my mind.

I thought since it was an advance purchase the charge would happen, like now? But I guess that's not the case.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 7:02 pm
Tak

Programs:  UA 1MM, JAL JGC Diamond, SPG Lifetime PLT, AMEX PLT
As someone mentioned before, I checked the tripadvisor.
I found so many good reviews about this hotel.
Not many people complained about the distance to Venice.
It takes only 25 minutes and the train station is located just behind the hotel.
We can purchase the train ticket at the hotel which is convenient for tourist.
As long as we do not go back and forth between the venice and the hotel during a day, this is not a bad location at all, especially if it is almost free night.

I had reserved Europe & Regina, and I know it is a good hotel to stay looking down the grand canal.
But in order to see the canal from our room, we usually have to pay 600-700 Eur a day.

50 minutes ride (round trip) vs 600 euro .
Winner is ????? (if the hotel honors the rate!)

I did not know this hotel before although I have been to Venice 6 times.
Even if this hotel rate is 80~100Euro, this hotel may not be bad choice, especially if we have a car.
Usually, I parked at the parking of Piazza Rome and brought our luggage to the hotel ourselves.
Old Aug 13, 2009, 7:20 am

Programs: HHonors, A'Club, SPG, Marriott, Priority Club, Hyatt, UA mileage Plus, Miles & More, AAdvantage
Hacker in IHG reservation system?

These are some interesting links relating to the today issue of local newspapers, both of them are nationally unimportant, but widely read locally.
Hope somedoby can understand italian:

http://www.ilgazzettino.it/articolo_...npl=&desc_sez=

http://ricerca.quotidianiespresso.it...ova+di+Venezia

For those of you not familiar with the language a short summary.

IHG press office yesterday spread the news that this 0.01 offer in not a mistake of somedoby of their staff, but an act of an hacker who in the night between sunday and monday (late afternoon in US) entered a fake promotion.
Appears that the hotel had more than 5000 bookings (many of them for groups of several rooms!) in two hours.
In my opinion this is totally false and IHG is trying to protect itself against proper claims for prepaid and confirmed rooms, and for this reason issued a press release regarding hacker attak.

Last edited by Supersonic Flyer; Aug 13, 2009 at 8:37 am
Old Aug 13, 2009, 7:26 am

Programs: AA, Delta, NWA,HHonors, Hyatt BF
Originally Posted by Supersonic Flyer
These are some interesting links relating to the today issue of local newsparers, both of them are nationally unimportant, but widely read locally.
Hope somedoby can undertand italian:

http://www.ilgazzettino.it/articolo_...npl=&desc_sez=

http://ricerca.quotidianiespresso.it...ova+di+Venezia

For those of you not familiar with the language a short summary.

IHG press office yesterday spread the news that this 0.01 offer in not a mistake of somedoby of their staff, but an act of an hacker who in the night between sunday and monday (late afternoon in US) entered a fake promotion.
Appears that the hotel had more than 5000 bookings (many of them for groups of several rooms!) in two hours.
In my opinion this is totally false and IHG is trying to protect itself against proper claims for prepaid and confirmed rooms, and for this reason issued a press release regarding hacker attak.
Nice find and good post, SF. My Italian is a bit rusty but they do seem to be stating their system was hacked into - go figure!
Old Aug 13, 2009, 7:32 am
Suspended

It would be better for IHG simply to comunicate to anyone who made the booking that they won't be honored.

It was obvious to anyone that the rate of 0.01 EUR was a price mistake.

For sure, they did not confirm that the price of 0.01 EUR will be honored. They may have confirmed that those pre-paid bookings would be honored, not knowing that the price was 0.01 EUR @:-)
Old Aug 13, 2009, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Well, now we know that the rate includes breakfast! I think they're going to use the "hacker" excuse to cancel everything. Google translate says this:
Lorenzo Baldoni
VENICE (August 12) - Who does not like to spend two nights in Venice in a luxury hotel in the modest sum of ten cents, breakfast included?
At a time of crisis like the current one where many are forced to tighten their belts would be a really nice gift. Unfortunately, this is a joke, a "fish" ferragosto, given the period. Because an attacker on the night of Sunday, August 9 was able to enter the central computer system that is located in Atlanta, the most famous hotel chain in the world, namely the IHG (International Hotels Group), which includes Holiday Inn, Crowne Plaza, Express and Intercontinental, and has opened a promotion PIZAZZ on-line. So much so that at the Crowne Plaza Venice East Quarto d'Altino arrived within two hours of sun 5000 bookings.

Everything is done in real time. From the direction of which is located in Viale della Resistenza do know that the technicians are still working to take away from sites promoting bluff. We immediately closed the reservation systems bluff, but now is open the problem to warn more than 5,000 customers that their dream of sleeping in Venice at 10 cents has vanished like a summer storm."

The news has traveled the world, so just go to google and type "Crowne Plaza Hotel Venice East - mistake (error)" and no mention of other overseas especially in the United States. The news is then issued to blog blog, from community to community, resulting in bookings from the U.S., Norway, Canada, Saudi Arabia and Estonia.

The attacker is obviously a connoisseur of the big hotels and their quality. Why the Crowne Plaza Venice East is one of the most luxurious Venetian inland, quoted in trade journals for its services.
Old Aug 13, 2009, 7:55 am
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
IHG's claim of a hacker doesn't pass the smell test, IMO.

Their spinmeister's are hard at work.....
Old Aug 13, 2009, 7:57 am

Programs: HHonors, A'Club, SPG, Marriott, Priority Club, Hyatt, UA mileage Plus, Miles & More, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by xyzzy
Well, now we know that the rate includes breakfast! I think they're going to use the "hacker" excuse to cancel everything. Google translate says this:
Translation from the italian of Google is worse then my english!!!!!!!!

And also the journalist is quite unskilled, consider that the Gazzettino is a newspaper venetians use only to see obituaries and listing of movies in local cinemas.... Other news are quite unreliable.
I suppose is for this reason that IHG is using these low quality newspapers trying to sell the hacker attack to the public.....
Old Aug 13, 2009, 8:47 am

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson
Wow, a "Hacker Defense", very interesting, and innovative.

We rarely get a clear understanding of the mechanics
of mistake rates, but I usually assume some internal
problem, i.e. fat-finger error, etc.

Has anyone seen this "Hacker" issue invoked before?
I don't remember any such case.

Now, if someone hacked into my Schwab account
and fiddles things around, Schwab has a clear
policy that I will be protected.

What that is worth is a different question, but at least
they have a public policy to take responsibility in such cases.

Anyway, this newspaper article is hardly a
defiinitive response from IHG,

.....but, I am not bookiing any air
to Marco Polo airport just yet !

Last edited by MrHalliday; Aug 13, 2009 at 9:25 am Reason: spelling
Old Aug 13, 2009, 9:11 am

Programs: BA/BD Gold, UA Silver
Does it not seem a bit unlikely that a hacker with the capability to hack into ICHG system would choose to make this price for some obscure hotel on the outskirts of Venice? And not several hotels, perhaps of higher cost?

I think this might be the manager or someone trying to cover their own buttocks.
Old Aug 13, 2009, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by SEAUAKID
Does it not seem a bit unlikely that a hacker with the capability to hack into ICHG system would choose to make this price for some obscure hotel on the outskirts of Venice? And not several hotels, perhaps of higher cost?

I think this might be the manager or someone trying to cover their own buttocks.

Your question was answered in the last line of the article.

The attacker is obviously a connoisseur of the big hotels and their quality. Why the Crowne Plaza Venice East is one of the most luxurious Venetian inland, quoted in trade journals for its services.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.