Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotel Deals
Reload this Page >

[EXPIRED] Crowne Plaza Venice East Quarto D Altino 1€

[EXPIRED] Crowne Plaza Venice East Quarto D Altino 1€

Old Aug 13, 2009, 9:30 am

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Dear Hacker,

Please do it again to prove you really exist...
Old Aug 13, 2009, 9:31 am

Programs: Ex-NWA Plat
*rubbing hands in glee* Now the fun begins.

I wonder whether IHG will even have the courtesy to inform guests who made the bookings...
Old Aug 13, 2009, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SEAUAKID
Does it not seem a bit unlikely that a hacker with the capability to hack into ICHG system would choose to make this price for some obscure hotel on the outskirts of Venice? And not several hotels, perhaps of higher cost?
Indeed.

It doesn't seem like a typical hack.

No, perhaps there was some sort of disgruntled former employee who had access to the hotel's reservation system who did something, but, outside of that, this looks like a hotel error.
Old Aug 13, 2009, 10:04 am

Programs: HHonors, A'Club, SPG, Marriott, Priority Club, Hyatt, UA mileage Plus, Miles & More, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by SEAUAKID
Does it not seem a bit unlikely that a hacker with the capability to hack into ICHG system would choose to make this price for some obscure hotel on the outskirts of Venice? And not several hotels, perhaps of higher cost?

I think this might be the manager or someone trying to cover their own buttocks.
Fully agree.... and in my opinion this is the reason the management of the Crowne Plaza Venice East, with the support of IHG HQ, is using two local newspaper (the only within their reach) to circulate the news about the hacker attack.
I can bet they offered money or free stays to both the journalists in order to popularize this thesis...
Old Aug 13, 2009, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Supersonic Flyer
Fully agree.... and in my opinion this is the reason the management of the Crowne Plaza Venice East, with the support of IHG HQ, is using two local newspaper (the only within their reach) to circulate the news about the hacker attack.
I can bet they offered money or free stays to both the journalists in order to popularize this thesis...
I agree. It seems really beyond reason that the "master hacker" would only choose the Crowne Plaza in Quarto d'Altino.... as opposed to- oh, I don't know- New York, London, or Hong Kong?
Old Aug 13, 2009, 11:24 am
GVA

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, BA Silver, Aegean Gold, Aeroplan 25k, AA EXP
I suppose if a hacker really exists then IHG will be starting a lawsuit. Afterall I'm sure they are insured against hackers. Of course it would look bad for them to start a lawsuit and have Police come in and find out that it was in fact a fat finger of a disgruntled employee.

I sense that this could get very interesting.
Old Aug 13, 2009, 11:26 am

Programs: Ex-NWA Plat
So far we have October as the first reported stay.

I am assuming that most if not all the rooms were booked courtesy the FT posting - so would the August / September folks make themselves known???

Old Aug 13, 2009, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Do I hear 100 Million Dollars?

Hacker, schmacker. Just a lame excuse for a fat fingered data entry operator. If I was picking a hotel to get a super rate with, I would pick something quite a bit better. Maybe the IC in HKG, SIN, or somewhere interesting in Europe.

This will at least, provide entertainment for quite some time.

If we were to take this "hacker" theory seriously, then we would of course have to be worried about all our credit card information. Seems like IHG would have to provide credit card monitoring free for a few years to each member who had their credit card info online. Sounds like 100 million dollars to me.
Old Aug 13, 2009, 12:30 pm
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
Originally Posted by GVA
I suppose if a hacker really exists then IHG will be starting a lawsuit. Afterall I'm sure they are insured against hackers. Of course it would look bad for them to start a lawsuit and have Police come in and find out that it was in fact a fat finger of a disgruntled employee.
My employers have placed a lot of cyber-liability insurance over the last decade. IHG would be the type of firm that generally would buy this kind of coverage.

A disguntled ex-employee would likely be covered by the carrier. Of course IHG would actually have to file a claim and assist in its investigation.

What isn't going to be clear is what the actual damages are. An insurance carrier might argue contractually that the true incremental cost of the almost free rooms are a fraction of the rack rate.
Old Aug 13, 2009, 1:26 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Originally Posted by GVA

Let's have a look at the police report.
Old Aug 13, 2009, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by GVA

I think we're getting fixated on the word "hacker." I think that the paper used that word for sensationalist purposes.

I bet the manager said someone went in and changed it (meaning revenue management in Atlanta or something). The paper interpreted it as a break-in, which it wasn't.

Remember papers are often inaccurate.
Old Aug 13, 2009, 6:50 pm

Location: District of Columbia, Maryland- AA 2M Life Platinum, UA 1K, TK Gold, BA Silver, IC RA, Fairmont/Marriott Platinum, SPG/Hilton/Omni Gold, Wynn/Makers Mark Ambassador, Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis Chairmans, National Executive
Originally Posted by Supersonic Flyer
http://www.ilgazzettino.it/articolo_...npl=&desc_sez=

http://ricerca.quotidianiespresso.it...ova+di+Venezia

IHG press office yesterday spread the news that this 0.01 offer in not a mistake of somedoby of their staff, but an act of an hacker who in the night between sunday and monday (late afternoon in US) entered a fake promotion.
Appears that the hotel had more than 5000 bookings (many of them for groups of several rooms!) in two hours.
In my opinion this is totally false and IHG is trying to protect itself against proper claims for prepaid and confirmed rooms, and for this reason issued a press release regarding hacker attak.
Yeah, okay. I believe this if you believe that hacker also broke into my hotel room last night. Logged onto internet, ordered up room service and pay per view while I was out. Not my fault, really.

Hate how the hotel shamelessly gives themselves a plug of being one of the most luxurious inland hotels at the same time in the article. Never heard of them before, but their response seems well, immature at best.

Last edited by idealflyer; Aug 13, 2009 at 6:58 pm
Old Aug 13, 2009, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
that's a new one ... what a joke !

My res still shows and after 5 days I really expect them to honor it !
Old Aug 13, 2009, 11:23 pm

Programs: HHonors, A'Club, SPG, Marriott, Priority Club, Hyatt, UA mileage Plus, Miles & More, AAdvantage
Hacker or not hacker?

Today the news about the hacker attack appears on the most important italian newspapers... unfortunately at the moment nobody from IHG or local hotel management is able to demonstrate is really an hacker attack.
Old Aug 14, 2009, 12:13 am
Tak

Programs:  UA 1MM, JAL JGC Diamond, SPG Lifetime PLT, AMEX PLT
According to the initial newspaper(not a reliable one), the hacker attacked the central reservation system based in Atlanta, GA, right?
Do we have any news in USA?

It should be a big news if central hotel/airline reservations in US based mainframe are attacked by hackers.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.