Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotel Deals
Reload this Page >

[EXPIRED] $21 Wingate mistake - will they honor it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2009, 3:05 am
Original Poster

Two days ago I've booked one night (09/14) in Wingate by Wyndham Manhattan Midtown in special price $21. I've made it by booking.com.
It was only this one special day, in others price was much higher. Next day I got a message from hotel, that it was system error and my deal is cancelled, the right rate is 219$. I answered, that I have a confirmation, my booking is completed and guaranteed. Until now, I don't have a reply from the hotel. What should I do?
Old Jul 23, 2009, 3:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Re-read the fine print sites T/C's. Anything there about voiding the reservation due to typos?
Old Jul 23, 2009, 11:03 am
Original Poster

In my reservation there is no info about voiding and it's still active on booking.com site.
Part of T/C's of booking.com:
"6. Cancellation

By making a reservation with a hotel, you accept and agree to the relevant cancellation and no-show policy of that hotel, and to any additional (delivery) terms and conditions of the hotel that may apply to your reservation or during your stay, including for services rendered and/or products offered by the hotel (the delivery terms and conditions of a hotel can be obtained with the relevant hotel). The general cancellation and no-show policy of each hotel is made available on our website at the hotel information pages, during the reservation procedure and in the confirmation email. Please note that certain rates or special offers are not eligible for cancellation or change. Please check the room details thoroughly for any such conditions prior to making your reservation.

If you wish to review, adjust or cancel your reservation, please revert to the confirmation email and follow the instructions therein. Please note that you may be charged for your cancellation in accordance with the hotel’s cancellation and no-show policy. We recommend that you read the cancellation and no-show policy of the hotel carefully prior to making your reservation."
"8. Disclaimer

Subject to the limitations set out in these terms and conditions, we shall only be liable for direct damages actually suffered, paid or incurred by you due to an attributable shortcoming of our obligations in respect of our services, up to an aggregate amount of the aggregate cost of your reservation as set out in the confirmation email (whether for one event or series of connected events).

However, neither we nor any of our affiliated companies shall be liable for (i) any punitive, special, indirect or consequential loss or damages, any loss of production, loss of profit, loss of revenue, loss of contract, loss of or damage to goodwill or reputation, loss of claim, (ii) any inaccuracy relating to the (descriptive) information (including rates, availability and ratings) of the hotel as made available on our website, (iii) the services rendered or the products offered by the hotel, (iv) any (direct, indirect, consequential or punitive) damages, losses or costs suffered, incurred or paid by you, pursuant to, arising out of or in connection with the use, inability to use or delay of our website, or (v) for any (personal) injury, death, property damage, or other (direct, indirect, special, consequential or punitive) damages, losses or costs suffered, incurred or paid by you, whether due to (legal) acts, errors, breaches, (gross) negligence, willful misconduct, omissions, non-performance, misrepresentations, tort or strict liability by or (wholly or partly) attributable to the hotel (its employees, directors, officers, agents, representatives or affiliated companies), including any (partial) cancellation, overbooking, strike, force majeure or any other event beyond our control."

What do you think?
Old Jul 23, 2009, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Booking.com have just recorded on my voicemail. They said, that it's a mistake and hotel will not honor my previously booked price. I can call and confirm new price or book something else.
My booking.com reservation page is not cancelled and old 21$ is still there.
What do you think?
I've found similar story (not in result):
Mistake rate story
Old Jul 23, 2009, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by opcio
Booking.com have just recorded on my voicemail. They said, that it's a mistake and hotel will not honor my previously booked price. I can call and confirm new price or book something else.
My booking.com reservation page is not cancelled and old 21$ is still there.
What do you think?
I'd make other arrangements.
Old Jul 23, 2009, 4:12 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Elite Gold
Send an email to that travel guy that does the columns in travel section at www.cnn.com. I think you are SOL, however.
Old Jul 25, 2009, 4:35 pm
Original Poster

I wrote to CNN/travel, until now nobody answered. Maybe I should write to somebody else? Who? NYC newspaper? Which?
In my opinion, my reservation is a legal contract, isn't it?
Why hotel can (?) break it off in so easy way?
Old Jul 25, 2009, 8:35 pm

Programs: AC SE, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC
In my reservation there is no info about voiding and it's still active on booking.com site.
Part of T/C's of booking.com:
"6. Cancellation

By making a reservation with a hotel, you accept and agree to the relevant cancellation and no-show policy of that hotel, and to any additional (delivery) terms and conditions of the hotel that may apply to your reservation or during your stay, including for services rendered and/or products offered by the hotel (the delivery terms and conditions of a hotel can be obtained with the relevant hotel). The general cancellation and no-show policy of each hotel is made available on our website at the hotel information pages, during the reservation procedure and in the confirmation email. Please note that certain rates or special offers are not eligible for cancellation or change. Please check the room details thoroughly for any such conditions prior to making your reservation.

If you wish to review, adjust or cancel your reservation, please revert to the confirmation email and follow the instructions therein. Please note that you may be charged for your cancellation in accordance with the hotel’s cancellation and no-show policy. We recommend that you read the cancellation and no-show policy of the hotel carefully prior to making your reservation."
"8. Disclaimer

Subject to the limitations set out in these terms and conditions, we shall only be liable for direct damages actually suffered, paid or incurred by you due to an attributable shortcoming of our obligations in respect of our services, up to an aggregate amount of the aggregate cost of your reservation as set out in the confirmation email (whether for one event or series of connected events).

However, neither we nor any of our affiliated companies shall be liable for (i) any punitive, special, indirect or consequential loss or damages, any loss of production, loss of profit, loss of revenue, loss of contract, loss of or damage to goodwill or reputation, loss of claim, (ii) any inaccuracy relating to the (descriptive) information (including rates, availability and ratings) of the hotel as made available on our website, (iii) the services rendered or the products offered by the hotel, (iv) any (direct, indirect, consequential or punitive) damages, losses or costs suffered, incurred or paid by you, pursuant to, arising out of or in connection with the use, inability to use or delay of our website, or (v) for any (personal) injury, death, property damage, or other (direct, indirect, special, consequential or punitive) damages, losses or costs suffered, incurred or paid by you, whether due to (legal) acts, errors, breaches, (gross) negligence, willful misconduct, omissions, non-performance, misrepresentations, tort or strict liability by or (wholly or partly) attributable to the hotel (its employees, directors, officers, agents, representatives or affiliated companies), including any (partial) cancellation, overbooking, strike, force majeure or any other event beyond our control."

What do you think?

8. Disclaimer

However, neither we nor any of our affiliated companies shall be liable for (i) any punitive, special, indirect or consequential loss or damages, any loss of production, loss of profit, loss of revenue, loss of contract, loss of or damage to goodwill or reputation, loss of claim, (ii) any inaccuracy relating to the (descriptive) information (including rates, availability and ratings) of the hotel as made available on our website,
Old Jul 25, 2009, 9:44 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
Ah, the catch-22 of a mistake rate.

You'll have some on FT who believe there's a higher chance of a mistake rate honored if only a few people take advantage of it. The thought behind that is the agency/property isn't going to lose much over a small handful of error rates and would rather be viewed as a nice guy.

On the other hand, you have FT'ers that will say the best approach is to try to get a critical mass of bookings, so that any attempt by the agency/property will draw such a huge ire and negative publicity that it will force their hands to honor the rate.

Funny thing is, both ways have been known to work (and not work).

I can't comment on the likelihood of you getting it honored, but from my previous experiences, it would help if you contact the agency in question (not w/ the agents, but with a senior VP) and submit proof that you made transportation arrangements/reservations that are non-refundable based upon their word. Track down the address, email and physical and send via email and certified letter.

In my experience, a larger outfit (Travelocity, Orbitz, or Expedia) has been more willing to eat such a cost than a smaller agency (I presume the smaller agency will be more impacted on their bottom line).

I'll also add that a pre-paid rate stands a higher chance of getting honored, since technically a transaction already took place (i.e. your credit card was charged). If it is only a reservation, then it's harder to hold on to a claim since no money actually changed hands, just a commitment to pay an agreed upon rate. But unlike airfare bookings, hotel reservations can be cancelled without penalty by the buyer normally (at least 24 - 72 hrs in advance).

At any rate, good luck.

Oh, next time, try the critical mass approach and let people on FT know... maybe a different outcome next time
Old Jul 26, 2009, 4:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by newfbc
8. Disclaimer

However, neither we nor any of our affiliated companies shall be liable for (i) any punitive, special, indirect or consequential loss or damages, any loss of production, loss of profit, loss of revenue, loss of contract, loss of or damage to goodwill or reputation, loss of claim, (ii) any inaccuracy relating to the (descriptive) information (including rates, availability and ratings) of the hotel as made available on our website,
I established that the 21$ rate was caused by man from hotel, not from booking.com site.

Originally Posted by luv2ctheworld
Oh, next time, try the critical mass approach and let people on FT know... maybe a different outcome next time
Well, this rate disappeared in 5 minutes after my booking time. It was no chance to let know on FT. Here is result (printscreen, polish language), before and after:
Booking.com printscreen

Now, I'm trying to press on the hotel by booking.com. If it won't help, I'll address directly to the hotel.

One more, do you know that I'm flying to the USA on mistake rate .
I've found on the web this rate:
FT KRK-DUB mistake rate
and let as first to know on polish forum (before FT):
Polish forum

So, I'm the "mistake rate" guy
Old Jul 26, 2009, 5:33 am
Tak

Programs:  UA 1MM, JAL JGC Diamond, SPG Lifetime PLT, AMEX PLT
One more, do you know that I'm flying to the USA on mistake rate .
I've found on the web this rate:
FT KRK-DUB mistake rate
and let as first to know on polish forum (before FT):
Polish forum

So, I'm the "mistake rate" guy
Usually, airlines honor their mistake rate more often.
For Hotels, maybe 50/50 depends on the booking agency/hotel chains/risk of loss.

But you want to take advantage of two mistakes in one trip?
Someone might say you are lucky, however, I guess you may have to pay back in the future.
So if I were you, I do not push too much.
Old Jul 26, 2009, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why hotel can (?) break it off in so easy way?
People who earn $40 per hour or more won't sweat the lost savings.
Old May 13, 2010, 1:09 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, US Silver, Hilton Diamond
I established that the 21$ rate was caused by man from hotel, not from booking.com site.
It does not matter who entered the wrong rate. You're fighting a losing battle.
Old May 13, 2010, 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by RonGinDC
I too think it is likely a lost battle. But beyond that, is it really something worth spending so much time on - and subjecting yourself to so much stress over? The old Polish saying "Czekaj tatka latka"" tells us that we can wait for years for something - but in vain.
Old May 13, 2010, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by RonGinDC
Since OP's $21 reservation that he was fighting for was for last September 14, I'm guessing he has stopped fighting one way or the other.

Why dredge this old thread up to comment on it at this late juncture?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.