Wiki Posts
Search

(Expired) Expedia Refer-A-Friend promo

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2009, 4:48 am

Programs: UA Plat, TK Gold, *G
Originally Posted by Strawb
Don't let her fob you off then!
She keeps telling me to give them my phone number so that they can call me and make the reservations.

However, I cant seem to get a phone number from her. I have friends that need to book (using my vouchers) and I will not use all of mine at once. So, I dont want to do the whole email thing again!
Old Aug 4, 2009, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As requested, XP just called me. They've placed a 40GBP credit in my account under the old terms. I have to send them my hotel details when my plans firm. They will call me back to finish the reservation applying this credit.

More cumbersome than simply booking on their site but I'm satisfied.
Old Aug 4, 2009, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
My theory: They're freaked out because "old" codes were basically transferable, meaning you could share unused ones or even try to sell them on eBay (though the auction would likely get pulled and they might suspend your account). That feature of it had the potential to greatly increase the redemption rate, and I'm sure they don't want that rate to be high.

Of course, that same feature was the only saving grace to allow multiple GBP40 vouchers to be used, albeit with a lot more work than it should have been. The right thing to do would be to program it to allow up to 10 GBP40 vouchers to be used, but only from the account linked to the e-mail the vouchers were sent to. In other words, programming to correctly reflect the TOS (But isn't that what we've wanted all along and they haven't done?).

There's still some "transferability" by naming someone else as traveler, but I think most people would only do that for family members or people they know, and the redemption rate would be lower and more restricted to "deserving" parties.

Alas, given the ham-handed way this has been implemented, I'd have to concede that hoping for a decent resolution is a bit toward the optimistic side. Even if they have the right intentions they could botch it.

If their intentions are to invalidate all the old codes and make people call or jump through hoops to get a new one, then I'd agree that that's inadequate and likely a calculated move to greatly cut the redemption rate. They should reissue new codes if they're going to rather than making people call. Doing credits as refunds to acounts is even worse, as it becomes like an insurance claim that could be denied.

There already seems to be a "saved voucher" feature on accounts, so why can't they load those in? (e.g. if you have 5 GBP40 vouchers, they become "saved vouchers" on the account they were sent to). Of course, that's uber-convenient and might encourage redemption, but it's largely be by deserving people booking their own travel.

Most likely scenario: Continued poor implementation "erring" on the side of allowing too little use rather than too much.

Would also have to wonder if any of the papers or other general media in the UK have found out about this whole saga.

Last edited by RustyC; Aug 4, 2009 at 9:49 am
Old Aug 4, 2009, 10:19 am

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
I just called XP UK. I was advised that there was a 'technical error' with the codes, and that new ones would be sent to everyone within a day or two.

I voiced my concern that I generated these codes from the original referral codes that had no min. purchase qualifyers. The agent stated that the new, replacement codes will have the same old T&C on them, but to contact XP.UK should we have any issues redeeming the codes with the old T&C.

Time will tell...
Old Aug 4, 2009, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by RustyC
Would also have to wonder if any of the papers or other general media in the UK have found out about this whole saga.
After the recent massive scandal about our Members of Parliament's expenses, I'm afraid £40 vouchers not working no longer cuts it! For eg.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/h...re/8065083.stm
Old Aug 4, 2009, 7:37 pm

Programs: Northwest Plat
Do you know the email address they can be reached? or just we can send the message somewhere on the webpage?
thanks a lot.

Originally Posted by sonofzeus
Here's their response:

Dear Mr. Soz, Attorney at Law:

Thank you for contacting Expedia.co.uk regarding your voucher.
>
> We request you to provide us the contact number and the convenient
> time to contact you so that one of our representatives can call and
> assist you further.
>
> Thank you for using Expedia.co.uk.
>
> Yours sincerely
>
> Aron Nicholas
> Expedia.co.uk
Old Aug 4, 2009, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by alexphj
Do you know the email address they can be reached? or just we can send the message somewhere on the webpage?
thanks a lot.
[email protected]
Old Aug 4, 2009, 10:48 pm

I have around 5 unused 40's, 1 unused 20, and 3 unused 20 Euro coupons

I am extremely angry. I referred those people in good faith, and expect something for that.
Old Aug 5, 2009, 1:48 am

I called several times, and each time I was told the coupons would be for 400 GBP bookings only. They did not budge. I suspect some higher-ups may have put their foot down, but let's hope I just got a few idiots out of the bunch.

*crossing fingers*
Old Aug 5, 2009, 6:28 am

Programs: AA, Delta, NWA,HHonors, Hyatt BF
I'm not much for speculation but it seems to me if the objective was to force the new T&C's on the old coupons then completely voiding them entirely would not be the way to go. I find that odd. And if indeed that is what they are doing its kind of like committing PR suicide; not only tick off your customers but tick off your customers family and friends...hmmm.

I'm no lawyer but it seems to me that anyone who took advantage of the program and followed its original T&C's entered into a contract with Expedia. We supplied a service, they supplied payment in form of a coupon. Service has been supplied - I have no useable coupon. This is a problem for me.

I will not call as I am going to assume that the person on the other end of the phone will not be able to resolve anything and their information may or may not be accurate. I emailed them today and will go from there. If I get no satisfaction I file complaints, like with the Dockers promo that went wrong; simple as that.
Old Aug 5, 2009, 7:02 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
They are pretty much telling me to drop dead.

"Thank you for contacting Expedia.co.uk regarding your query.

We would like to inform you that Expedia reserves the right to cancel or amend the terms of this Refer a Friend promotion without notice in the unlikely event of major catastrophe, war, earthquake, or any actual, anticipated or alleged breach of any applicable law or regulation or any other similar event"

Followed by:

"Thank you for contacting Expedia.co.uk regarding your voucher.

Please be advised by participating in the referral scheme, you agree to be bound by these terms and conditions, and that the decision of Expedia is final and binding in all matters relating to this Promotion. Expedia reserves the right to cancel or amend the terms of this Refer a Friend promotion without notice.

We are sorry for any inconvenience caused."

What an operation this is.
Old Aug 5, 2009, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by Renard
They are pretty much telling me to drop dead.

"Thank you for contacting Expedia.co.uk regarding your query.

We would like to inform you that Expedia reserves the right to cancel or amend the terms of this Refer a Friend promotion without notice in the unlikely event of major catastrophe, war, earthquake, or any actual, anticipated or alleged breach of any applicable law or regulation or any other similar event"

Followed by:

"Thank you for contacting Expedia.co.uk regarding your voucher.

Please be advised by participating in the referral scheme, you agree to be bound by these terms and conditions, and that the decision of Expedia is final and binding in all matters relating to this Promotion. Expedia reserves the right to cancel or amend the terms of this Refer a Friend promotion without notice.

We are sorry for any inconvenience caused."

What an operation this is.
Thank you for contacting Expedia.co.uk regarding your voucher.

I would like to take the opportunity to apologise for the inconvenience caused to you. I would like to inform you that the terms and conditions of the voucher has been revised due to an unforeseen circumstance. Please note that every voucher now has a minimum booking value as stated below:

Minimum booking value of 200 GBP and above for a 20 GBP voucher(Excluding taxes),
Minimum booking value of 300 GBP and above for a 40 GBP voucher(Excluding taxes),

I regret to inform you that the old vouchers are disabled. Hence for those customers who have been unable to redeem there refer a friend vouchers then a new voucher code will be issued via email to you, and you should receive this at the latest by Friday 7th August.

If you have any further queries please do not hesitate to contact us.

Thank you for using Expedia.co.uk.

Yours sincerely

Alex Stewart
Expedia.co.uk

Last edited by redreeper; Aug 5, 2009 at 8:34 am Reason: update
Old Aug 5, 2009, 10:30 am

min spending with new voucher

so the vouchers we will be receiving on 7th august will have a minimum spending limit ?
Old Aug 5, 2009, 10:35 am

Minimum spending

Yes, looks like 300 GBP is the minimum for the 40 Pounds Vouchers.

Isn't that a good deal for refering new customers ?
Old Aug 5, 2009, 10:51 am

Yes. They will have a minimum spending limit. Despite my arguments that those were not the T&C's in the original "scheme" as they call it they state that they can ammend the T&C's at will. Can they do that? - I beleive they can and just did.

I leave the legality of it up to the more experienced though I suspect the original T&C's state they can do this without notice.

Anybody need a voucher???

Moving on.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.