Wiki Posts
Search

Orbitz BRG lacks the competition

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2009, 6:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, Delta Gold, AA Plat
Orbitz BRG lacks the competition

Recently, Orbitz introduced a BRG offering a $ 50 coupon towards a future hotel booking if you find a lower hotel rate somewhere else. Apparently, the coupon only applies to future reservations of 3 nights or more. At the same time, Orbitz offers coupons like ORBITZOT50 ($ 50 off, 3 nights or more) to the general public, basically giving you the same benefits. So, what is the point of the BRG coupon in the first place? The competition does a much better job with similar policies: Travelocity requires only 2 nights, and Expedia requires only 1 night.
Old Dec 7, 2009, 7:41 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, NWA,HHonors, Hyatt BF
I was wondering what the T&C's would be of the new Orbitz BRG 50 coupon. Travelocity does a similar one but it is a 2 night surprise minimum when you get the coupon. Not too impressive. Thanks for posting the details.
Old Dec 7, 2009, 10:33 pm

this deal is only for flight+hotel
Old Dec 7, 2009, 11:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by akeem_da_dream
what deal?
Old Dec 8, 2009, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by redreeper
I was wondering what the T&C's would be of the new Orbitz BRG 50 coupon. Travelocity does a similar one but it is a 2 night surprise minimum when you get the coupon. Not too impressive. Thanks for posting the details.
You would think there would be some legal restriction on promising a $50 voucher that's not REALLY a $50 voucher.

Too bad. I guess this falls into the "largely worthless BRG" camp. It seems like the majority of such guarantees fall into that catgory.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 10:59 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Celebrity Cruises Elite Plus
Originally Posted by akeem_da_dream
It appears to be valid for hotel-only bookings as well (even though it might not be worth much as discussed on this thread)

Originally Posted by ORBITZ
Orbitz Low Price Guarantee
Look for our hotel and car rates backed by our Low Price Guarantee. We're so confident they're the lowest online, we're willing to put money on it.
Hotel Low Price Guarantee Terms and Conditions:
If you book a qualifying prepaid hotel rate on the Orbitz Web site, and then find the same room, in the same hotel, for the same dates, at a lower price online, before taxes and fees, we'll refund the difference and give you a $50 discount on a future hotel or vacation package booking. Just submit your claim to Orbitz before the hotel's cancellation fees apply. Qualifying rates are marked with a "Low Price Guarantee" label.
If your claim is approved, Orbitz will refund the difference to the credit card you used to make your hotel reservation in approximately 7 - 10 business days. You'll receive the $50 coupon via e-mail.
Remember to make a printout or take a screen shot of the page with the lower rate, in case a customer service representative has questions. Expect a response to your claim within 72 hours. Please read General Terms below for full details.
In addition to the Low Price Guarantee, customers who book a prepaid hotel rate are also covered by Orbitz Price Assurance. If another Orbitz customer books the same itinerary for at least $5 less than the hotel booked on Orbitz.com, Orbitz will refund the difference up to $500 per reservation automatically.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 11:07 am

Programs: UA Plat, TK Gold, *G
Originally Posted by BEAV
It appears to be valid for hotel-only bookings as well (even though it might not be worth much as discussed on this thread)
Which code, ORBITZOT50 or the BRG code?

ORBITZOT50 is not valid without a flight.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 11:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BEAV
It is valid for hotel only bookings, but it has to be at least 3 nights... so, not much value with all those coupons out there anyway...
Old Dec 8, 2009, 11:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bsb21

but WELCOME10 is valid without flight for sure, 10% off. looking at 3 nights, you do the math...
Old Dec 8, 2009, 2:02 pm

Programs: UA Plat, TK Gold, *G
Originally Posted by flyinghigh77
but WELCOME10 is valid without flight for sure, 10% off. looking at 3 nights, you do the math...
In some locations (such as Vegas) the 10% is useless, while the $50 BRG coupon gets you a 2 free nights.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 5:12 pm

You're right - worthless. Expedia's not making it easy anymore either. I got 3 BRGs in Nov and I was on the phone for an average of 45 mins each shot. They list some rooms fictitiously too, so they won't match up. For example: I booked a Grande Superior room at the Majestic Grande in BKK on Expedia. It was $15-20 cheaper on a # of other sites. I pointed this out and Expedia said they were different, because my room had 3 beds. 24 sq/m and 3 beds ! Come on ! They wouldn't match, but they gave me the coupon, 'cause I kept complaining. BTW I e-mailed the hotel and they have no such room. I'm not going through another sphincter-pull for the $15 though. On Orbitz, AFFORB40 works on 3 nights until the end of Jan. wj
Old Dec 9, 2009, 9:14 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Celebrity Cruises Elite Plus
Originally Posted by bsb21

Sorry, I was thinking akeem_da_dream was claiming there is no such Orbitz BRG program for hotel-only purchases. But I guess we're talking about usage of a winning BRG coupon here.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.