Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Heads Up, IAD airport Hilton - $65/night

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2017, 7:34 am
Original Poster

Heads Up, IAD airport Hilton - $65/night

Not the greatest deal, but still pretty decent for that area.

Just booked a room in May and noticed that the Hilton (4 star) was almost 1/2 the price ($65) of the next 4 star hotel which were $120+. Sign up for the app promo to get 500 extra points and book through the app to save a few $ compared to the website or cheaptickets/hotels.com/orbitz, etc.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 2:27 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by flwrlover1
Not the greatest deal, but still pretty decent for that area.

Just booked a room in May and noticed that the Hilton (4 star) was almost 1/2 the price ($65) of the next 4 star hotel which were $120+. Sign up for the app promo to get 500 extra points and book through the app to save a few $ compared to the website or cheaptickets/hotels.com/orbitz, etc.
This is a pretty common rate for this hotel, though it can range greatly. I wouldn't place too much emphasis on the star rating though. It's not a luxury property.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 4:27 pm
Original Poster

Maybe, but we used to be Diamond members with Hilton and I can't recall any being $65. Hampton Inns or Hilton Garden Inns, sure, but not Hiltons.

We've also been to IAD a few times and seem to pay closer to $100. I know that it's not a great deal, but it was decent for us and I figured it would be a popular location to fly out of. If you can use it, great, if not, no worries.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 5:28 pm

Maybe, but we used to be Diamond members with Hilton and I can't recall any being $65. Hampton Inns or Hilton Garden Inns, sure, but not Hiltons.

We've also been to IAD a few times and seem to pay closer to $100. I know that it's not a great deal, but it was decent for us and I figured it would be a popular location to fly out of. If you can use it, great, if not, no worries.
It's funny because for an unrelated reason last night I was looking at an old trip report where I stayed at this hotel and paid $65 Agree it's a good rate, but I also think the distinction between Hilton and other Hilton brands isn't always linear.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 5:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Adam1222
It's funny because for an unrelated reason last night I was looking at an old trip report where I stayed at this hotel and paid $65 Agree it's a good rate, but I also think the distinction between Hilton and other Hilton brands isn't always linear.
Funny! I will admit that the rooms are typically similar to all of their brands, but the downstairs has always been different in my experience with Hilton. Usually a nicer restaurant/bar at least, but of course you pay for that.

In some ways, as a family traveler, I've actually preferred Hilton Garden Inns (omlettes made to order for all, but usually still get a fridge)... Hampton Inns are ok. Hiltons are nicer in some ways, but usually don't have a fridge which is a pain with a family, but we'd sometimes get access to the lounges which helped if there was finger food/soda provided.

Regardless, I'm going on vacation in a month and at this point could stay at a Days Inn for all I care. I just wanna be at the beach! Well, maybe not the Days Inn... I really hate the Days Inn, but you get the point!

Last edited by TravelingNomads; Apr 16, 2017 at 5:07 am
Old Apr 16, 2017, 2:30 pm

$60 is about average for the area immediately around IAD for Friday and Saturday nights. Other nights are going to be much higher.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ENOTTY
$60 is about average for the area immediately around IAD for Friday and Saturday nights. Other nights are going to be much higher.
Good to know. We must have been overpaying previously, especially when flying out of DCA.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 1:36 am

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Good to know. We must have been overpaying previously, especially when flying out of DCA.
IAD on the weekends is the quintessential Mattress Run location: Hyatts including the HR Dulles, Sheratons/Aloft/Westin, and many IHG properties are usually under $70 a night.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 5:54 am
Original Poster

Very nice to know. I guess we've always previously flown out during the week and had to pay more than double that. I'll have to keep that in mind for future flights as almost all ATL flights seem to have a layover in IAD or DCA.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 7:23 am

Programs: UA Silver, MR titanium
I have stayed at that hotel a few times for $60ish a night in jr suite which it was a big nice room during the weekend
Old Apr 22, 2017, 1:10 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
Northern VA is mattress run central on weekends for a good part of the year. Did Falls Church Marriott last weekend for $62.
Old May 2, 2017, 1:46 pm

Anyone have any thoughts on whether the Hilton or Doubletree is a better bet at Dulles (w Diamond status)? I want to spend my sixty-five bucks wisely...
Old May 2, 2017, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by gil123
Anyone have any thoughts on whether the Hilton or Doubletree is a better bet at Dulles (w Diamond status)? I want to spend my sixty-five bucks wisely...
Can only comment on location: Hilton is closer to the airport, but in an office park with nothing around it. Doubletree is right next to two large shopping centers and very close to a large (pretty nice) mall.
Old May 2, 2017, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

Even if you don't have Diamond status at Hilton, you can pay $16 to upgrade to get access to the Executive lounge. From what I read online it's better than most. Drinks and decent dinner + breakfast the next morning. They close at 10pm though I believe and don't open until 7am for those with early/late flights.
Old May 2, 2017, 6:40 pm

Good info- thanks. Shopping centers don't interest me as I am just looking for an overnight stay before a morning flight, but breakfast does. I called the Hilton and they said (as you noted) executive lounge opens at 7 a.m. on weekends but it is 6 a.m. weekdays. Doubletree's lounge is closed on weekends but they serve breakfast starting at 6 a.m. in main restaurant. I think it's the Hilton for me but great to have so many cheap good options. Wish it were that way at JFK

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.