Renaissance Sharm El Sheikh $29 for most of December

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2015, 11:06 pm

Programs: Liftime Titanium Elite Marriott
I too also believe its probably one of the safest places to visit right now. The problem is getting plane tickets from China.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 5:33 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by tfong007
What airport is truly safe? US just had a guy go through security with a loaded hand gun.
I would go to Cairo or Luxor in a heartbeat and fly there. They have airports with proper screening for checked luggage and carry-ons. Sharm doesn't.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 3:59 pm

Programs: BA Silver, TK Silver, HH Diamond, IHG Plat AMB
Well I have safely arrived in SSH and sadly for the Egyptians who are dependent on employment in this sector, the resort is a ghost town.

The Hilton, which is next door but one to the Rennaissance, has 400+ rooms with less than 10% occupied. 80% of the hotels staff have been told to take 'vacation' until tourists come back. The staff that are there, particularly the pool/beach boys are sat twiddling their thumbs. One wing of the hotel has closed along with two of the four pools, in addition to one pool bar and one beach bar closed also. This is pretty much the theme throughout the resort.

On the plus side, the resort is free of Russians (even the staff are enjoying a break from them) and based on the number of empty sun loungers here at the Hilton, it seems the Germans have vacated from Sharm also . The weather is just delightful.

Images have come out poor for some reason. Taken at noon today.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 7:01 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black

^^ wow
Old Dec 1, 2015, 2:41 am

Incidentally, since I am staying next door but one to this hotel, I can possibly assist in helping anyone wanting cheap Marriott credits.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 6:51 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mickeydfly13
Lol. No thanks.
Only the hardest of the hardcore bargain hunters would venture into Sharm right now.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 6:52 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Boddingtons
Well I have safely arrived in SSH and sadly for the Egyptians who are dependent on employment in this sector, the resort is a ghost town.

The Hilton, which is next door but one to the Rennaissance, has 400+ rooms with less than 10% occupied. 80% of the hotels staff have been told to take 'vacation' until tourists come back. The staff that are there, particularly the pool/beach boys are sat twiddling their thumbs. One wing of the hotel has closed along with two of the four pools, in addition to one pool bar and one beach bar closed also. This is pretty much the theme throughout the resort.

On the plus side, the resort is free of Russians (even the staff are enjoying a break from them) and based on the number of empty sun loungers here at the Hilton, it seems the Germans have vacated from Sharm also . The weather is just delightful.

Images have come out poor for some reason. Taken at noon today.
Bet you could Tinder easily as there is hardly any male competition. Might be able to score some Russian hotties. ^
Old Dec 1, 2015, 7:07 am

Originally Posted by TMM1982
Bet you could Tinder easily as there is hardly any male competition. Might be able to score some Russian hotties. ^
You'd need a decent internet connection first. No in room wifi, unless you can pick it up off the public wifi in the resort. In room has ethernet cable at $20 per day.

That aside, I'm boycotting anything Russian, even the Vodka.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 7:29 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Boddingtons
That aside, I'm boycotting anything Russian, even the Vodka.
You're boycotting Russian women? You're a strong strong man.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by MightyTravels
Great rate for the Renaissance Sharm El Sheikh - $29.25 for most of December.

Add 7.11 in taxes - free cancellation.

Not the safest place to be right now but also not exactly Mogadishu.

on marriott.com

Any destination beeing advertised as safer than Mogadishu, doesn't really catch my attention
Old Dec 2, 2015, 2:39 pm

Programs: UA/AA
Sharm hotel prices in "prime time" (March/April) are also ridiculously cheap.

My concern is less SSH, but a repeat of the terror attack that recently occurred on the beach at Port El Kantaoui in Tunisia.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 12:48 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
All of Egypt is unsafe. There was a bombing in Cairo this morning. There were suicide bombers in Luxor in June. As a westerner, you are a target - not only of radical Islamists but also every con man in the country.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 1:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by iflyjetz
All of Egypt is unsafe. There was a bombing in Cairo this morning. There were suicide bombers in Luxor in June. As a westerner, you are a target - not only of radical Islamists but also every con man in the country.
I was in Cairo, Luxor, Aswan, Abu Simbel, Amman, Petra, and Dead Sea by Jerusalem in October. I never felt unsafe though I was with a tour guide at all times. When dropped back off at my hotel in the evenings, I stayed in the hotel. I didn't have any issues.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 4:21 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, FM Prem, SPG gold
Originally Posted by TMM1982
I was in Cairo, Luxor, Aswan, Abu Simbel, Amman, Petra, and Dead Sea by Jerusalem in October. I never felt unsafe though I was with a tour guide at all times. When dropped back off at my hotel in the evenings, I stayed in the hotel. I didn't have any issues.
Second that. Did the exact same locations and never felt unsafe. Today's Cairo bombing seemed to be a domestic dispute (read: fight gone bad), nothing political nor terror related.

Yes there is always a risk of danger, but we accept that each time we board a plane (or train) and visit a location. Home or abroad.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by iflyjetz
I was in Egypt - Cairo and Luxor - in April and I'll agree with you on the con man part, but not the safety aspect. There is risk everywhere. I'm probably more likely to be injured/killed in a traffic accident here in Houston than some freak accident in a foreign country.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.