Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotel Deals
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Santiago-Diplomatic Suite USD $5.00 per night

Old Jul 31, 2015, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by @ORD
Thanks for sharing. I was planning to go with option 1...

How many nights did you book?
I booked 2 different 3 night trips.

On a different note, are foreigners exempt from the hotel taxes they charge if paying by credit card? Taxes are 19%...so a 3 night stay for me if taxed at the non-flash sale rate is still $200 in taxes.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 12:20 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Mrgolfer21

On a different note, are foreigners exempt from the hotel taxes they charge if paying by credit card? Taxes are 19%...so a 3 night stay for me if taxed at the non-flash sale rate is still $200 in taxes.
Yes they are. I stayed at the Hyatt Place in Santiago and paid no tax above the base rate earlier this year. I tried to use up some extra Chilean Pesos by paying a portion of my hotel bill in cash and the front desk warned me that doing so would cause tax to apply to the entire stay.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, AMEX PLAT, Priority Pass, Admirals Club, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond

If you wouldn't mind telling us, what room category did you book?
Old Jul 31, 2015, 1:29 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, FM Prem, SPG gold
No tax nor vat is charged to foreigners (who present a passport, although that is required I suspect) and pay with a credit card in usd or with physical usd.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 2:58 pm

At the moment I am planning on going to Santiago in early December and seeing what happens. If worse comes to worse and I am stuck with a full price, I will be happy to be on vacation and have the money to enjoy things. That said, if I am charged full rate I will challenge it with AMEX.

Now the interesting bit: With no Hyatt confirmation from FHR, I contacted Hyatt ([email protected]) for my reservation numbers on my 2 rooms. I got a friendly reply within a couple of days with the numbers and the agent said that all charges would be listed under the room rates section. When I plug those numbers into the mobile webpage, I got the below. Now I am open to opinions as to what this is saying and there could be a bit of ambiguity in the page, so I am curious as to everyone's take on this.

Old Jul 31, 2015, 6:43 pm

If you are wondering if AX is going to come out with something, they are not. Their systems are not showing the rate that was booked...on the back end, they are showing the rate they sent to Hyatt, which is the non-flash sale rate. Only when they go into the reservation details will they see the flash sale rate. So, two options: 1) Go down, pay the non-flash sale rate and then dispute it with AX to cover the difference or 2) call AX and ask them why Hyatt is showing the non-flash sale rate on the res when your confirmation has the flash sale rate...they will research it and then most likely tell you that they are going to cover the difference (rate only, not taxes) and will notate your record. While I can't guarantee that everybody will get option 2, it's worth a phone call (it was for me)

In both instances, it is probably easier to pay with you Amex card so they can see the charge and credit it back accordingly...paying with Hyatt card might complicate things, but to each his own.
WEIRD i just tried option 2 and they said they researched it. checked with the hotel and the rate on the amex confirmation email was the correct one.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 7:36 pm

LOL more documentation for when we dispute the charges, then?

What a messy...mess.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 7:38 pm

Programs: Hyatt DMD, Hilton DMD, Marriott PLT, Starwood GLD
FHR Call

I placed a call this morning into FHR about my reservations, and the initial agent said that 3 zeroes were missing in the confirmation email and that the email "didn't have enough space to hold all of the digits." She enlisted a supervisor, who is researching the issue on my reservations and has said she will follow up with me. It sounds like there are conflicting numbers on their end as well.

This couldn't have come at a more opportune time, since we needed a place to stay for the next few months anyway! (Fingers crossed)
Old Jul 31, 2015, 8:18 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by WorldFam
I placed a call this morning into FHR about my reservations, and the initial agent said that 3 zeroes were missing in the confirmation email and that the email "didn't have enough space to hold all of the digits." She enlisted a supervisor, who is researching the issue on my reservations and has said she will follow up with me. It sounds like there are conflicting numbers on their end as well.

This couldn't have come at a more opportune time, since we needed a place to stay for the next few months anyway! (Fingers crossed)
Has anyone have a screenshot that they would like to post (or PM me) of the FHR page that showed the daily rate that we had all booked with? Specificall the one that showed all the room type and their respective daily rate (Gary Leff had that posted in his thread, which is now taken down. And the FTer whom was most gracious in posting the google history link has the photos in that post, but they are not viewable> This would silence the omission of the lacking 000 on the confrimation page. Thanks and Safe Travels
Old Jul 31, 2015, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Has anyone have a screenshot that they would like to post (or PM me) of the FHR page that showed the daily rate that we had all booked with? Specificall the one that showed all the room type and their respective daily rate (Gary Leff had that posted in his thread, which is now taken down. And the FTer whom was most gracious in posting the google history link has the photos in that post, but they are not viewable> This would silence the omission of the lacking 000 on the confrimation page. Thanks and Safe Travels
The "missing zeros" excuse sounds like one that was thought up on the fly. If there "wasn't enough space in the emails", then why are confirmations under "My Trips" on FHR the flash sale price? The source code also shows the flash sale price, so it isn't a formatting issue.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 9:51 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by dr88
The "missing zeros" excuse sounds like one that was thought up on the fly. If there "wasn't enough space in the emails", then why are confirmations under "My Trips" on FHR the flash sale price? The source code also shows the flash sale price, so it isn't a formatting issue.
Very intuitive thinking! Thanks for the clarification. Safe Travels
Old Jul 31, 2015, 10:01 pm

I just got off the phone with the property and they said I had 2 nightly rates under the one reservation I asked about. $241 and $277 USD. I'll update this post after I call FHR but I'm willing to bet data points on this will be very inconsistent until it gets escalated up the food chain @ Amex.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by johnwmaher
If you wouldn't mind telling us, what room category did you book?
I booked a grand suite the first stay and grand view the second. Diplomat suite was not available for the days I booked.

Last edited by Mrgolfer21; Jul 31, 2015 at 11:35 pm Reason: Spelling
Old Jul 31, 2015, 11:35 pm

The "missing zeros" excuse sounds like one that was thought up on the fly.
Totally lame excuse, IMO. Here's one of my bookings:

Here are prices for a hotel in Cartagena, Colombia right now:

Don't buy the zeros story.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 12:20 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
See what they price for hotels in Vietnam or Korea. Plenty of zeros.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.