Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Need some suggestions on a hotel on a beach...

Old May 17, 2015, 10:43 am
Original Poster

Wife's been stressed out and needs a vacation from work. I wanted to surprise her with a hotel stay for a few days right on the beach. Somewhere in driving distance from New York. If possible, do it on points instead of cash. Or something that is heavily discounted. Open to applying if needed. Don't really want to fly. Can't be with anything with Chase as I am still on their redacted list for reasons they will not tell me.

Any ideas?

Thank you for the advice ahead.

Last edited by aBroadAbroad; May 26, 2015 at 12:46 am Reason: Please observe profanity rules
Old May 17, 2015, 11:20 am

Programs: Too many

Do you have any points? How many nights? Which loyalty programs are your preference?
Old May 17, 2015, 11:23 am
Original Poster

Hi Jinxy,

I have Hilton, SPG, and Wyndam. However, I am open to other apps if need be.
Old May 17, 2015, 2:21 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by comptalk
Hi Jinxy,

I have Hilton, SPG, and Wyndam. However, I am open to other apps if need be.
Draw a circle on the map around how far you'd drive, see what those 3 have available on the beach within that area within the points you have. At least with Hilton and SPG you can search by state, then click on map view in the results and easily see coastal locations and further refine as desired.
Old May 17, 2015, 4:50 pm

What dates are you looking at? I actually found a good deal for Montauk for Memorial Day and the two days after for $89 a night. The price did go up since I booked tho.
Old May 17, 2015, 6:28 pm
Original Poster

Can you PM me the info on the Montauk one? The dates are open for us. Thanks!
Old May 18, 2015, 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by comptalk
Wife's been stressed out and needs a vacation from work. I wanted to surprise her with a hotel stay for a few days right on the beach. Somewhere in driving distance from New York. If possible, do it on points instead of cash. Or something that is heavily discounted. Open to applying if needed. Don't really want to fly. Can't be with anything with Chase as I am still on their sh*t list for reasons they will not tell me.

Any ideas?

Thank you for the advice ahead.
How far of a drive ? Newport RI is always nice.
Old May 18, 2015, 10:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Depending on definitions, driving distance would include Cape Cod and the southern coast of Maine, such as Kennebunkport (spelling?). To the south, the border would probably be around northern North Carolina, but of course a lot depends on your starting point in New York. I think some of the more isolated beaches near the Chesapeake would be nice. IIRC there are some chain aspirational properties in this area, but I don't know which are right on the beach.

For Long Island, it's mostly independent beach hotels and to me they don't seem at all nice for the prices, but there are probably exceptions. If you enjoy wine, doing some of the eastern (generally south fork) Long Island wineries would be fun. You could also do an excursion with the ferry to Shelter Island. For romance, there are some nice inns and elegant B&B places, but they tend to be in villages rather than on the beach.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.