Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton HHonors Orlando hotel offer

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2015, 6:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SinglePapa2
I think the only item OP is likely NOT catching up to is his Hilton's location. I'm doubting presentation takes place at Bonnet Creek's resort, or even Downtown Disney's Hilton. My guess is Hilton Grand Vacations or Convention Center is as close as he'll get to Disney. And biggest question mark is blackout dates. Let's see what he can find out
Yes. That's next on our list after narrowing down our desired dates. I believe they said we could stay anywhere in the approved list but that opens up what travel is necessary to get to the proper resort for the presentation. We'll see.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 6:13 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
I think the only item OP is likely NOT catching up to is his Hilton's location. I'm doubting presentation takes place at Bonnet Creek's resort, or even Downtown Disney's Hilton. My guess is Hilton Grand Vacations or Convention Center is as close as he'll get to Disney. And biggest question mark is blackout dates. Let's see what he can find out
Don't the hotels at least participate in transport to the parks, if not their own? To me, if this is assured, then geographic proximity doesn't matter. But this wouldn't work if Disney isn't working for the son and it's a long time until the bus comes around again.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 12:26 am

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Wyd Plat.
Originally Posted by Firewind
Don't the hotels at least participate in transport to the parks, if not their own? To me, if this is assured, then geographic proximity doesn't matter. But this wouldn't work if Disney isn't working for the son and it's a long time until the bus comes around again.
Orlando is a driving city. Many hotel and timeshares do not have shuttles to the park. Also, be aware of the high costs of taxi in the area. I stayed at the Marriott Grande Vista. $ 50 cab ride to Universal City Walk. Also, if your hotel has a shuttle to Disney, than you are probably going to pay a higher price for proximity to the location. I've stayed at hotels/resorts 10 years ago that had free shuttle buses or vans to Disney and stayed in the last few years and they are a thing of past, pre Great Recession. I don't know the specifics of this deal, but I've been going to Disney for almost 30 years now and sat through time share presentations. If they are giving away rooms for free or at extremely reduced rates, then I would venture to guess it would be at a less profitable property, not near the parks.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My best timeshare wheeze was scoring 18 holes at Marriott's Shadow Ridge golf course for a 45-minute sales spiel. Worth $170. That's essentially a $225/hr billing rate, pretty good for an engineer.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 9:58 am

We did this deal in May 2014. The initial offer (I believe) was $199 for 3 nights + timeshare offer. After some bartering, I was offered $149 for 3 nights, 10K Hilton Points, and a $200 Stay With Us Cert. We stayed at the Hilton Orlando (6001 Destination Parkway). Our Gold benefits were recognized and we were given a pool view upgrade. The timeshare presentation we attended was 8:30 - 10:30 at Parc Soleil on our 2nd full day. Depending on where you stay, your timeshare might be onsite or it might not. We had a car, so it wasn't a big deal, but you are on your own for transportation. When we got there, we broke off (our family of 4) and 1 sales guy. We chatted, watched a video, did a tour, then bartered - I didn't realize what a horrible value these things are. At the end we got our $200 Cert (upon leaving) and the 10K points were deposited after about 4 weeks. Read all the terms very carefully and make sure you fulfill your end of the bargain. There's certainly potential (IMO) to get out before 2 hours.

Including driving, we committed 2 1/2 hours of our time (or so). In exchange, we saved about $200 on the hotel, $200 on a future stay, and $50 worth of Hilton Points. I'd say it was worth it, but it is difficult to truly get $200 of value on the cert. I believe it's good for 6 months, good only at the "brand" you pick (Hilton vs. Homewood Suites vs. HGI) and it's only good for 1 night on the base rate (not taxes, etc.). Depending on where you stay and how much you would have paid, then your "value" could be totally different than mine...

When you commit to the offer you have X amount of time to book before they start charging some "fees." Availability for both hotels and the timeshare presentation is variable. I thought the T&C were well disclosed at least, but you can certainly have this turn out to a bad deal if you don't follow through.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 10:04 am

When u say: "we saved about $200 on the hotel, $200 on a future stay, and $50 worth of Hilton Points.", you mean "1 nite now, 1 nite in the future +points"? And on both 1-niters, u lay out taxes? (of how much)
Old Mar 25, 2015, 5:37 am

When u say: "we saved about $200 on the hotel, $200 on a future stay, and $50 worth of Hilton Points.", you mean "1 nite now, 1 nite in the future +points"? And on both 1-niters, u lay out taxes? (of how much)
We saved the first $200 since we paid $150 and the going rate was about $350 for 3 nights at the hilton Orlando. We saved $200 on the 1 night in the future stay with us cert (maxed that out well) We did lay out taxes on each, about $20 for the timeshare 3 nights and standard taxes for the future room ($20sh). Taxes would be variable based on the hotel price and state, of course. At that time, no resort fees.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 2:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
The South Park episode Asspen should be required viewing for the OP.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 2:15 pm

Programs: UA Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
I've done a number of timeshare presentations and they are brutal. Absolutely brutal. My ex-wife thought these were a great idea, and she dragged me to a bunch of them.

They start by asking how much you typically spend on vacations each year. Ex considered me rude when I smiled and told the guy it was none of his business.

It's hard to describe the experience fully. And to be fair they do range from extremely hard sell to more friendly and low key. If you are interested in checking these out, then go to one and see if you think they are worth the frustration.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 3:22 pm

Why upset people; what's not to love? Always have your 90-min timestamp. Keep eating their food. When they get to the punchline - what can I do to make you an owner today - I say sell it to me for $1 like on Craigslist, and pay closing costs. Who wants to waste time - they show me to rewards

Last edited by SinglePapa2; Mar 31, 2015 at 3:40 pm
Old Apr 5, 2015, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by Caperguy
Hi
We just joined Hilton honours last month. When we went to book our next stay we were put through to a special offer staff member because of the level of points we had. They offered us a stay at an Orlando /Disney area hotel reimbursed if we attend a two hour info session at the hotel. Anyone hear of this before? Any catches other than the session? The free ones are 3 nights 4 days or 2 nights 3 days. Might have been other options but we weren't interested. Hotel deal only. We're responsible for anything else.
Thoughts? Thanks
if you stay @ the DTD Hilton (nice property, with the Disney extra magic hour perk btw), the Hilton TS rep has a desk in the lobby.

Tour is to the Parc Soleil Suites by Hilton Grand Vacations on Palm Parkway. We declined. Although we did enjoy a great deal at the Sheraton Vistana a few years ago that had no presentation requirement. Never got that offer again lol.

I have received the offer a few times when I call into Hilton to book or modify a reservation. Last one was to be transferred to listen to the timeshare spiel and share my phone number, etc. Worth it for the 20,000 points they deposited into my account.

most deals I receive require you to pay the tax on the accommodation and typically a non-refundable deposit once u select your dates, which are subject to availability and blackout dates.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 9:48 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titainum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Delta Diamond
Personal experience

I went to this 2 months ago. The presentation was at Park Soleil (sp?) and we stayed at Grand Vacations Sea World. It was between Disney and Universal so location worked out. The room itself was very small (used to larger rooms and suites) but outside of sleeping, we were almost never in the room.

The offer was for $199 + 10k points. Told them no, so they made the $150 + 20k points + $200 certficate offer. Took them up on that.

Presentation wasn't horrible as some people have said. I have only been to one other timeshare presentation which was about 15 years ago. As the guy was explaining this is a great value, and my DW agreed the entire time. When he then asked me what I thought, I asked him for his notepad, pretended it was work, and drew some financial models for him and handed it back to him.

He looked at it for a minute and said, "well, thanks for coming" and we were on our way.

I think of those 2 hours as $50/night in orlando along with 20k points and a hotel cert that I can probably use within the 6 months. If not, I'm fine with $50/n and 20k points.

(EDIT) In hindsight: probably should've taken a hotel option instead of grand vacations to get Gold benefits including breakfast. Ah well, live and learn.

Last edited by shakim; Apr 28, 2015 at 9:49 am Reason: Hindsight
Old Apr 28, 2015, 3:30 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Talking

Originally Posted by shakim
... I asked him for his notepad, pretended it was work, and drew some financial models for him and handed it back to him...
Pictorially? Any way you might provide a rendition here for us?
Old Apr 28, 2015, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Firewind
Pictorially? Any way you might provide a rendition here for us?
Four rolls and a breadstick?
Old Apr 28, 2015, 5:11 pm

Score.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.