Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Hotel selling you rooms ex-parte, i.e. unauthorized charge of your card

Hotel selling you rooms ex-parte, i.e. unauthorized charge of your card

Old Feb 26, 2015, 8:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by whimike
This whole thread is giving me a headache, but let me see if I can sum things up here in plain English....

1) OP bought 3 rooms via Expedia using a coupon that resulted in a near $0 room.
2) All the hotel knows is that some published rate is being paid for the room (it has no involvement with the Expedia coupon).
3) Prior to the OP arriving, Expedia cancelled 2 of his reservations and refunded his money.
4) OP checked in to all 3 rooms, and signed check-in paperwork which most likely had a clause that allowed the hotel to charge his card for any unpaid amounts.
5) OP was made aware by the hotel, during the stay, that there is a problem with 2 of his reservations and he needs to contact Expedia to fix it.
6) Hotel charges OP for the 2 rooms that the Hotel was never paid for by Expedia.
7) OP goes nuclear since he no longer got all his rooms for near $0, and the hotel charged him for the 2 rooms that Expedia didn't pay them for.

OP, to me it seems pretty easy... Look at the paperwork you signed when you checked-in. Was there a clause that enables the hotel to charge your card if there are unpaid amounts due? If so, what is your quarrel with the hotel?

Put yourself in the hotel's shoes. You checked in to 3 rooms and Expedia only paid them for 1 room. The hotel asked that you call Expedia and resolve what is going on with the other 2 rooms. At the end of the stay you hadn't resolved anything with Expedia, and thus the hotel charged you. Were you expecting the hotel to just let you stay for free?
Whimike, great summary of facts except for a couple of very important omissions.
1. Manager charged my MasterCard for two rooms without having any conversation with me about it on Feb.19; she charged that day for Feb.17-22!!
2. When I asked front desk on Feb.19 to look at their screen and tell me if there is any problem with any of my rooms, they said "no, we see no problem with any of the three rooms, they're all paid thru Feb.22" All of this is accompanied by friendly smile, because I always project very outgoing and polite image. Why not tell me the truth instead?

So I go on staying (under the assumption of $0.00 cost), while hotel is not delivering significant amount of its standard amenities. Would you necessarily opt to stay when promised wifi doesn't connect in room or anywhere on hotel's grounds, not even lobby - and hotel doesn't even have a target date? Would you necessarily opt to stay if the neon sign outside is lit up "Heated Pool", but pool's water is not heated - and hotel says they're working on the issue? When the lit up sign outside says Jacuzzi, but jacuzzi's entryway sports a rope with tag "under repair". When you happen to accidently tour higher floors of the hotel and notice good half of room doors "sealed with permanent tape" where the lock should be. Apparently, those units are taken off the market due to bed bug issue, but first floor guests have never had a chance to find out...After a couple of days, I did stop using one of my three rooms - because one of my people got bit. But I never brought it up to hotel's administration, because if I'm staying on what appeared to me free after coupon payment by OTA - what am I going to bother the administration for?

And only after checkout I accidently find out that manager on Feb.19 sold to my MasterCard rooms for the period Feb.17-22, without any suspicion of that on my part? For God sake, if hotel told me on Feb.19 they still haven't been fully paid by OTA, I would have an option to raise hell with OTA again, I would have an option to check out, I would have an option to negotiate the rate with the hotel. How in the worst dream can anyone imagine that an employee of a U.S. Hotel used your credit card number to pay rooms forward on your behalf without telling you, and that's why your originally prepaid rooms "are fine"? Again, mainly due to facilities disrepair I only spend at the hotel late night-early morning time, like 8 out of every 24 hours hotel rooms are priced for. Next door's hotels with lower rack rate had perfect working jacuzzis and wifi! And even they were sparsely populated, so spend your time there...Who cares, if you're under the impression that your rooms are free after coupon. It was only checkout printout that wiped the smile off my face! "What happened on Feb.19??" "I can't understand it myself, this is a total mess in the system, I see that some Expedia payments were moved out...but I can't really comment; you're welcomed to wait for my superior to come in to work 3 hours from now. Oh, you'd get stuck in traffic then...Well I'll ask her to call you, and I'll also ask the accountant to call you Monday...NEVER GOT ANY CALLS

Last edited by SinglePapa2; Feb 26, 2015 at 9:01 pm
Old Feb 26, 2015, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by SinglePapa2
There can be no possible justification for manager's action of selling you future nights without your knowledge.
Several people have noted that you may have agreed to pay any unpaid amount at check-in by signing something. Unless I missed it, you've never disclosed the exact verbiage of that document.

In case you haven't figured it out, continuing to re-post your complaint over and over isn't going to change anyone's mind. Frankly, if anyone here is acting with "very grave impropriety", it's you when you expect that a hotel should not be paid for your stay.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 8:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by writerguyfl
Several people have noted that you may have agreed to pay any unpaid amount at check-in by signing something. Unless I missed it, you've never disclosed the exact verbiage of that document.

In case you haven't figured it out, continuing to re-post your complaint over and over isn't going to change anyone's mind. Frankly, if anyone here is acting with "very grave impropriety", it's you when you expect that a hotel should not be paid for your stay.
Sorry for not reprinting hotel's verbiage: couldn't read it then, can't read it now due to poor printer ink...And I don't necessarily want the hotel to lose 100% of projected revenue. But would you want all your options to be taken away from you by an unauthorized sale to your MasterCard, kept in secret from you? Do MasterCard's clients have rights?
Old Feb 26, 2015, 9:37 pm

Why are you all against him? There are two problems here:

1. Expedia - The biggest problem is getting cancelled at the last moment without even contacting you!
Expedia did charge your CC and you did not violate the original T&C. Everything was OK even when you checked in.

2. The hotel - Even if the hotel needed to charge the room in some way, they need to contact you and notify you. The CC you gave them was for a deposit only.
The hotel charged your CC without even telling you about it. It could have charged any room rate. I think this is unacceptable.

I guess Expedia & the hotel are both backed up with some small letters in their T&C's so good luck about that one.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 12:12 am

OP, in your original post you said that the mgr approached you and said there was a problem with your reservation and gave you Expedia's number to call and straighten it out. The resolution you agreed to with expedia was a coupon that covered you through the 18th, but you did not check out of the hotel on the 19th and you did not approach the mgr to work something out, you just continued to stay in the room, so the mgr charged you for it.

It isn't the hotel's fault that you settled for only one night to be covered from expedia. Should the mgr have approached you and told you that he was charging your card? Probably. Should you have approached the mgr and told him what you worked out with expedia and tried to work out a deal for the rest of the stay? Yes. Asking the front desk clerk if "your room had any problems" without telling her what she was looking for seems like you were trying to sneak under the radar. If you had explained the situation to the desk clerk and asked her if Expedia covered it, then you would have found out that you were charged, but to ask a vague question about any problems with your room sounds like you were just hoping nobody would notice.

It sounds like there were problems all around and everyone involved deserves some of the blame for the end result. Expedia for not honoring the coupon and reservation, the mgr for not consulting you before charging you, and you for trying to fly under the radar and not come to an agreement on how you were going to cover the 2 rooms that you knew that Expedia was not covering past the 19th. In the end, I would think the hotel would be the least at fault. They expect to paid, whether it be by you or Expedia. It seems odd that you would assume that after being passed to several supervisors and arguing your case with Expedia, and the best offer being a $50 coupon, that suddenly after you hung up with them that the supervisors had a change of heart and decided to cover your whole stay. Why would you think that? If they were going to honor it, they would have told you on the phone. I'm assuming that you were just hoping that the hotel would somehow think Expedia covered it.

In the end, it really sucks what Expedia did. It has caused a lot of people tons of problems and frustration. I had booked rooms under the deal too, but luckily they were for a later date, so I had time to fix the problem. It will be interesting to see if MasterCard honors your dispute. Good Luck.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 12:44 am

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by sagh
Why are you all against him? There are two problems here:

1. Expedia - The biggest problem is getting cancelled at the last moment without even contacting you!
Expedia did charge your CC and you did not violate the original T&C. Everything was OK even when you checked in.

2. The hotel - Even if the hotel needed to charge the room in some way, they need to contact you and notify you. The CC you gave them was for a deposit only.
The hotel charged your CC without even telling you about it. It could have charged any room rate. I think this is unacceptable.

I guess Expedia & the hotel are both backed up with some small letters in their T&C's so good luck about that one.
I don't think anyone is against him. Everyone has explained basically what you did, and he just doesn't see it, and want to argue immaterial facts, and nonsensical terms. Also insists on a definitive answer to a question that doesn't have one, instead of taking advice given and trying to find an easy resolution.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 5:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by beagledog11
OP, in your original post you said that the mgr approached you and said there was a problem with your reservation and gave you Expedia's number to call and straighten it out. The resolution you agreed to with expedia was a coupon that covered you through the 18th, but you did not check out of the hotel on the 19th and you did not approach the mgr to work something out, you just continued to stay in the room, so the mgr charged you for it.

It isn't the hotel's fault that you settled for only one night to be covered from expedia. Should the mgr have approached you and told you that he was charging your card? Probably. Should you have approached the mgr and told him what you worked out with expedia and tried to work out a deal for the rest of the stay? Yes. Asking the front desk clerk if "your room had any problems" without telling her what she was looking for seems like you were trying to sneak under the radar. If you had explained the situation to the desk clerk and asked her if Expedia covered it, then you would have found out that you were charged, but to ask a vague question about any problems with your room sounds like you were just hoping nobody would notice.

It sounds like there were problems all around and everyone involved deserves some of the blame for the end result. Expedia for not honoring the coupon and reservation, the mgr for not consulting you before charging you, and you for trying to fly under the radar and not come to an agreement on how you were going to cover the 2 rooms that you knew that Expedia was not covering past the 19th. In the end, I would think the hotel would be the least at fault. They expect to paid, whether it be by you or Expedia. It seems odd that you would assume that after being passed to several supervisors and arguing your case with Expedia, and the best offer being a $50 coupon, that suddenly after you hung up with them that the supervisors had a change of heart and decided to cover your whole stay. Why would you think that? If they were going to honor it, they would have told you on the phone. I'm assuming that you were just hoping that the hotel would somehow think Expedia covered it.

In the end, it really sucks what Expedia did. It has caused a lot of people tons of problems and frustration. I had booked rooms under the deal too, but luckily they were for a later date, so I had time to fix the problem. It will be interesting to see if MasterCard honors your dispute. Good Luck.
Beagle: woof, this is the closest anyone came to the truth! Fantastic job!

Well, stranger things happened than "somehow Expedia covered it". I was explaining Expedia supervisors that holding Expedia's confirmed hotel bookings for over a week, making all other travel arrangements based on them, never being notified otherwise and suddenly being told that they backed out of payment while I'm already staying - may have very very serious repercussions. I also appraised them that special children including with 11 diagnosis are on this trip. And supervisor did mention during the conversation that a higher-up, with powers of different settlement, is due to come in a few hours after we hang up. I think what supervisor felt the most uneasy about is NOT being able to cite any email/phonecall to notify me of cancellation...

Still, no commenter here paid heed to the fact that a U.S. Hotel manager charged on Feb.19 my MasterCard for stay Feb.17-22!! (without any suspicion of mine that this was going on). Clearly unauthorized sale, punctuated by the fact that Hotel always obtained my signature on CC receipt on every $20 swipes off mastercard and back onto mastercard, providing me with copy of receipt. No other CC transaction ever done by this hotel (in my observation) has taken place without consumer's signature, except for this $300 sale I only found out by chance 3 days later - having taken away any option from me on Feb.19

Is this even legal?
Old Feb 27, 2015, 7:13 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Beagle: woof, this is the closest anyone came to the truth! Fantastic job!

Well, stranger things happened than "somehow Expedia covered it". I was explaining Expedia supervisors that holding Expedia's confirmed hotel bookings for over a week, making all other travel arrangements based on them, never being notified otherwise and suddenly being told that they backed out of payment while I'm already staying - may have very very serious repercussions. I also appraised them that special children including with 11 diagnosis are on this trip. And supervisor did mention during the conversation that a higher-up, with powers of different settlement, is due to come in a few hours after we hang up. I think what supervisor felt the most uneasy about is NOT being able to cite any email/phonecall to notify me of cancellation...

Still, no commenter here paid heed to the fact that a U.S. Hotel manager charged on Feb.19 my MasterCard for stay Feb.17-22!! (without any suspicion of mine that this was going on). Clearly unauthorized sale, punctuated by the fact that Hotel always obtained my signature on CC receipt on every $20 swipes off mastercard and back onto mastercard, providing me with copy of receipt. No other CC transaction ever done by this hotel (in my observation) has taken place without consumer's signature, except for this $300 sale I only found out by chance 3 days later - having taken away any option from me on Feb.19

Is this even legal?
You can consult the top 100 contract lawyers in America and ask them the same question and they will all start by asking you for a copy of, at a minimum, what you signed at check-in. Printer ink or not, a starting point will be what you and the property agreed to.

There may or may not be customer service issues involved in charging your card without telling you, but whether it's legal isn't an answer you will get here. But, frankly you won't get it anywhere without the terms.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 8:17 am

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Let's put this further into context...

• OP has 3 room for 5 nights each. A total of 15 nights.
• OP apparently expected to pay $0 for these 15 nights because he used coupons on Expedia that apparently he wasn't entitled to use.
• OP got 1 room completely covered by Expedia, and after talking to them on the phone got 2 nights of both other rooms covered for free.
• In the end, OP was charged $300 by the hotel since Expedia wasn't covering the final 3 nights of 2 rooms, thus the hotel charged him $50/night for the nights not covered by Expedia.

The end result is that 15 nights at a hotel cost OP $300, instead of being completely free. These nights would have normally cost $750.

Expedia already ate $450 for the OP. The hotel was not party to any of this freebie deal, so they expect to get paid the $300 balance that Expedia didn't cover.

I think OP's only claim is with Expedia, had Expedia agreed to cover 100% of the stay, but as has been shown they didn't agree and OP agreed to the coupon which covered only the first 2 days of the 5 night stay on 2 rooms.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 8:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
You can consult the top 100 contract lawyers in America and ask them the same question and they will all start by asking you for a copy of, at a minimum, what you signed at check-in. Printer ink or not, a starting point will be what you and the property agreed to.

There may or may not be customer service issues involved in charging your card without telling you, but whether it's legal isn't an answer you will get here. But, frankly you won't get it anywhere without the terms.
Aren't you missing a point that manager on Feb.19 put an unauthorized charge on my MasterCard for rooms in period Feb.17-22? On what basis and by what right did a manager sell me rooms going FORWARD?? (About which I found out for the first time from a check-out print-out the Hotel doesn't voluntarily put into any guest's hands). What this Hotel has always necessarily done was to have guest sign and give guest copy of every single CC authorization (that is ordinarily a relatively menial $20 authorization of guests' CC)

I'm asking a very simple straightforward question: was it legal under CC laws, consumer laws, criminal laws for a manager to make an unsolicited secret sale of rooms future dates (manager could find me or convey message to me anytime)

Originally Posted by whimike
Let's put this further into context...

• OP has 3 room for 5 nights each. A total of 15 nights.
• OP apparently expected to pay $0 for these 15 nights because he used coupons on Expedia that apparently he wasn't entitled to use.
• OP got 1 room completely covered by Expedia, and after talking to them on the phone got 2 nights of both other rooms covered for free.
• In the end, OP was charged $300 by the hotel since Expedia wasn't covering the final 3 nights of 2 rooms, thus the hotel charged him $50/night for the nights not covered by Expedia.

The end result is that 15 nights at a hotel cost OP $300, instead of being completely free. These nights would have normally cost $750.

Expedia already ate $450 for the OP. The hotel was not party to any of this freebie deal, so they expect to get paid the $300 balance that Expedia didn't cover.

I think OP's only claim is with Expedia, had Expedia agreed to cover 100% of the stay, but as has been shown they didn't agree and OP agreed to the coupon which covered only the first 2 days of the 5 night stay on 2 rooms.
Very fair re-recount. My position:
1. Why should we, who put in countless hours to research forums like this, give up our obtained freebees? Expedia wanted to cancel pre-paid booking that they'd originally confirmed under their mistaken offer - then, Expedia, at least email the account you amend to CANCELLED BOOKING (with over a week's delay)! Try to call the account holder! Expedia failed to do either; is it because the matter is too small to Expedia to allocate time to contact? If it's too small, then don't cancel!
2. I don't want the Hotel to lose revenue they seek to earn. But Hotel, please deliver to earn your revenue! You discover you gave guest more rooms at check-in than you actually had pre-paid - then inform guest that you must pull (the unpaid for) keys. Apologize for your mistake, and make guest clear of his options going forward. You have ability to contact guest by physical message or cell phone. How can you make a sale of future stay to unsuspecting guest, and never notify him of that before or after? Only because you know his CC number?
3. So After the fact, hotel claims I enjoyed 3 rooms for 5 days? But was it full enjoyment? I only admit the stay was worth what I thought I was being charged: $0.00 after coupons. Hotel (without authorization or even hint) charged my card full-rate for rooms I could practically enjoy only the "sleeping 8 hours" out of billed 24 hours. Promised (to all guests) wifi wasn't connecting anywhere (in room, or anyplace near property). Promised and continued to be advertised by neon sign pool water was NOT heated, and maintenance was trying to fix the issue. Promised and continued to be advertised by neon sign jacuzzi was closed-for-repair and never turned on thru my check-out date. I accidentally obtained evidence of bed bug issue, by walking thru higher floors and shockingly discovering half of room doors sealed off by tape! No one staying on the first floor would have a hint, until getting bit - and one of my group did! Have I enjoyed 3 rooms for 5 days? Yes, they were well worth what I thought I was paying - but to be fair just one-third (or so) of what hotel was targeting as revenue.

Funny that following that mid-stay bite, I did consolidate out of three rooms into two rooms. But thinking rooms were pre-paid thru end, I didn't even bother to contact administration...

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Feb 27, 2015 at 10:52 am Reason: Combine consecutive posts of same member; suggest using multi-quote feature.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 9:16 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Aren't you missing a point that manager on Feb.19 put an unauthorized charge on my MasterCard for rooms in period Feb.17-22? On what basis and by what right did a manager sell me rooms going FORWARD?? (About which I found out for the first time from a check-out print-out the Hotel doesn't voluntarily put into any guest's hands). What this Hotel has always necessarily done was to have guest sign and give guest copy of every single CC authorization (that is ordinarily a relatively menial $20 authorization of guests' CC)

I'm asking a very simple straightforward question: was it legal under CC laws, consumer laws, criminal laws for a manager to make an unsolicited secret sale of rooms future dates (manager could find me or convey message to me anytime)
Your questions presume facts which appear to be at best incorrect and you refuse to provide the facts, e.g. sign-in and other terms, which would provide those facts.

When you've got some printer ink, let us know.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 9:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
Your questions presume facts which appear to be at best incorrect and you refuse to provide the facts, e.g. sign-in and other terms, which would provide those facts.

When you've got some printer ink, let us know.
Don't you understand that ink-fail is on hotel administration printer that spits out check-in forms? By the way: one quirk not sure worth anything. My online bank login done by me on Feb.22 showed $300 charge as of February.20 by hotel's old name. Same login now shows this charge posted Feb.23 by this hotel's new name (hotel re-branded in Q3 2014)

Last edited by SinglePapa2; Feb 27, 2015 at 10:04 am
Old Feb 27, 2015, 9:50 am

It is quite intriguing how much of a psychological profile one can form from a series of posts on FT. It makes many of these extended rants and threads most interesting.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 10:26 am
Original Poster

I agree...For me at least, writing all this is not total waste of time - I will later just copy this to whatever statement I may be required to submit by my bank.

Yet, it is very IMPORTANT for all us extreme dealseekers: is it illegal for an employee of a U.S. Hotel to sell you rooms without your knowledge? (Only utililizing their privy to your CC information)
Old Feb 27, 2015, 10:38 am

I agree...For me at least, writing all this is not total waste of time - I will later just copy this to whatever statement I may be required to submit by my bank.

Yet, it is very IMPORTANT for all us extreme dealseekers: is it illegal for an employee of a U.S. Hotel to sell you rooms without your knowledge? (Only utililizing their privy to your CC information)
LOL...as I said above. Very interesting...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.