Reload this Page >

[EXPIRED] NYC Le Parker Meridien $83

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[EXPIRED] NYC Le Parker Meridien $83

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2015, 11:57 am

Well lots of people on this thread in same boat, all getting cancelled and scratching heads and asking what to do, and I have no advice. But here is my personal thinking:

- I am not going to just keep quiet and show up and hope for the best (if the reservations are cancelled the rooms will be sold to others). Keep in mind this deal was only good for a few dates so it is likely the majority of the property was booked on those dates so once they clear out the reservations the rooms will eventually go to others.

- I did not select a different billing country or currency, manipulate or play the system or even book a zero or close-to-zero rate. I found out about and booked a good to great deal on rooms offered by a major booking engine, and my reservation was accepted and confirmed by the booking source, and it says on the confirmation e-mail it cannot be changed without forfeiting the full amount. I consider this very different than a pay-at-property booking, regardless of whether they assessed the charges yet or not. They took my credit card details and issued me a confirmed non-cancellable reservation voucher.

So I will take it up with the OTA since I booked through them. No I won't organize a class action suit and no I don't think my basic civil or moral rights have been violated nor will my world end if they don't honor it. But there is a fine line and on this one I'd say it's up to SPG and the OTA to sort it out and figure out how to make it right, not for consumers to roll over and say oh well. I can't cancel a prepaid hotel room if I decide I feel that I overpaid (which is the case almost always for those who buy full price hotel rooms in NYC) so they shouldn't be able to if they decide I underpaid.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by gil123
I can't cancel a prepaid hotel room if I decide I feel that I overpaid (which is the case almost always for those who buy full price hotel rooms in NYC) so they shouldn't be able to if they decide I underpaid.
Nicely said!
Old Feb 19, 2015, 2:25 pm

Programs: UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Well lots of people on this thread in same boat, all getting cancelled and scratching heads and asking what to do, and I have no advice. But here is my personal thinking:

- I am not going to just keep quiet and show up and hope for the best (if the reservations are cancelled the rooms will be sold to others). Keep in mind this deal was only good for a few dates so it is likely the majority of the property was booked on those dates so once they clear out the reservations the rooms will eventually go to others.

- I did not select a different billing country or currency, manipulate or play the system or even book a zero or close-to-zero rate. I found out about and booked a good to great deal on rooms offered by a major booking engine, and my reservation was accepted and confirmed by the booking source, and it says on the confirmation e-mail it cannot be changed without forfeiting the full amount. I consider this very different than a pay-at-property booking, regardless of whether they assessed the charges yet or not. They took my credit card details and issued me a confirmed non-cancellable reservation voucher.

So I will take it up with the OTA since I booked through them. No I won't organize a class action suit and no I don't think my basic civil or moral rights have been violated nor will my world end if they don't honor it. But there is a fine line and on this one I'd say it's up to SPG and the OTA to sort it out and figure out how to make it right, not for consumers to roll over and say oh well. I can't cancel a prepaid hotel room if I decide I feel that I overpaid (which is the case almost always for those who buy full price hotel rooms in NYC) so they shouldn't be able to if they decide I underpaid.
So I just ran booking.com. They said my reservation is confirmed and not showing any sign of cancellation. Also, they told me hotels are not allowed to cancel reservations booked through booking.com unless the credit card is invalid. We shall see.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 2:31 pm

Trust me if you see this on Starwood site like I do when you do a credit card lookup, you don't have a room. Doesn't matter what Booking.com reservation or agent says, if we show up we won't have a room unless the hotel/SPG is prevailed upon to reinstate it.

1. Le Parker Méridien New York Exterior
New York

We have found your reservation. It is not possible to display this particular reservation online. This is usually due to an unusual or complex rate or set of rates associated with the reservation in question. For questions regarding this reservation, please refer to the original booking source for more information.
Cancelled: 12345678

Originally Posted by mediator
So I just ran booking.com. They said my reservation is confirmed and not showing any sign of cancellation. Also, they told me hotels are not allowed to cancel reservations booked through booking.com unless the credit card is invalid. We shall see.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 2:32 pm

I doubt Booking.com is going to back you up here. At most they will refund your money if you were charged.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 9:10 pm

I agree. I think the hotel will say, "Sorry, we just don't have your reservation, but we can offer you a room at $7xx." And, Booking.com, "Oops, we messed up. Here's your refund. Get yourself a new room at our website!" I would not be too happy but I wouldn't be angry about it either.

Though the hotel is not bookable at all on the same dates, there's some possibility they are just figuring the situation out at the backend.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 10:47 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K, AC SE, Delta Platinum Medallion, Marriott Titanium

Let us know how this goes please. Best of luck.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 8:03 am

Yep. Check SPG based on expedia confirmation number and found that my reservation is cancelled. Nothing has changed on booking.com
Old Feb 21, 2015, 8:14 am

Anyone else get a call from Booking.com saying the hotel is allowing you to either pay 550 for the room or cancel without a fee (how nice)?
Old Feb 21, 2015, 9:09 am

I sent an email to booking.com asking them to clarify what is going on. This is the response I just received-

We are writing to you regarding your reservation ---------- at Le Parker Meridien New York, check-in date 2015-04-11, and check-out date 2015-04-12.

Due to the current local time in New York I have sent an email to the property to confirm that your booking is still live in their system and I await their reply. As you quite rightly said it is in your Booking.com account and it is with us too.

Please feel free to contact us with any additional questions.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I got a call at 9:30pm last night. My booking is still intact on Booking.com - and in the policies, it says that if we cancel on our own, they penalize 1 nights room & tax.

Hotel Policies
Children and extra beds
Up to two children under 11 years stay free of charge when using existing beds.
The maximum number of cribs in a room is 1.
1 x "Tower Junior Suite"

Cancellation: If canceled or modified up to 3 days before date of arrival, 100 percent of the first night will be charged. If canceled or modified later or in case of no-show, the total price of the reservation will be charged.
How to cancel
You can use the link in the confirmation email to cancel your booking
Prepayment: The total price of the reservation may be charged anytime after booking.
Taxes and service charges: 14.75 % TAX is excluded. US$ 3.50 City tax per night is excluded. US$ 10.89 service charge per night is excluded.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 11:35 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver
Booking.com is the worst. Absolutely no protection from their end. I have had terrible experiences with them where the hotel cancels a reservation and they refused to fight for me.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by bhatnasx
I got a call at 9:30pm last night. My booking is still intact on Booking.com - and in the policies, it says that if we cancel on our own, they penalize 1 nights room & tax.
Did you get the same deal as above (money for a new room at a new rate or free cancellation)?
Old Feb 22, 2015, 7:34 am

Just received a follow up email from Booking.com. There is no chance of this being honored, it "cannot be reasonable" apparently. You know, as someone had previously mentioned, if I found that I was overcharged after I had booked there is no way I would be permitted to back out. It's amazing that the purchase agreement only applies to one of the parties as needed. It is what it is at this point, but I am extremely disappointed in the sneakiness of it all. Contact me and let me know you are canceling my reservation. Had people not gone to SPG to look into this or followed this thread, then what? They show up to no room? That isn't right, the least they could do is to inform the guest and booking.com of the action they have taken as soon as they decided, I would have at least appreciated them being up front. Cowardly move.

Here is the email:

We tried to contact you by telephone to discuss an error in the rates for your booking with the Le Parker Meridien New York, but were unable to due to the earliness of the hour.

Due to a Booking.com technical issue, a rate for the hotel room that you have booked was uploaded incorrectly at the amount of 60 USD per night, which cannot be reasonable.

The actual rate for Le Parker Meridien New York is $489 plus tax, and not $60 plus tax as mentioned on your reservation. Excluding breakfast will be 60 USD extra for two people.

We apologize for this error and understand how frustrating it can be to change plans. In this light, we would like to ask you to consider the following:

- Accepting the correct price and stay per your reservation.
- Cancelling the reservation at no charge and allowing us to help find an alternative accommodation at your own expense.
- Cancelling the reservation and finding your own alternative at your own expense.

We urge you to inform us of your decision within the next 24 hours. If we do not receive any response from you until then, we will assume that no further assistance was required, and your reservation will be cancelled at no charge to you.

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience. Please contact our Customer Service team at any time.

Thank you again for using Booking.com. Despite this matter, we do hope you will allow us the opportunity to be your choice for future online reservations.

Old Feb 22, 2015, 12:11 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat; Marriott Plat: Hilton Gold
Booking.com is the WORST!

Well - I did NOT receive a call or voice message like the email below says I did. But I found the one line slightly offensive. Did everyone get the same email?

Dear Nicksterguy,

Thank you for choosing Booking.com.

We tried to contact you by telephone to discuss an error in the rates for your booking with Le Parker Meridien New York, but were unable to reach you.

Please accept our sincere apologies as we were forced to cancel your recent reservation 651536972 due to an incorrect rate being uploaded for the hotel room that you have booked.

Such outstanding rates cannot be realistic, and we are currently working with the Booking IT department to prevent any future issues of this nature.

Thank you kindly for your understanding.

We invite you to visit our website again and find a suitable alternative hotel. You may use this link -

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.