Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotel Deals
Reload this Page >

$50 off Hotel Bookings on Orbitz Using VISA Checkout

$50 off Hotel Bookings on Orbitz Using VISA Checkout

Old Dec 9, 2014, 7:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, Delta Gold, AA Plat
Originally Posted by iahphx
As is often the case, are the big chains generally excluded? I tried to price a Country Inns (a good $80ish option in some places) and it said the hotel was excluded.

And is the timeframe limited to March 31? The rules say so, but it seems like folks are booking until summer.

FWIW, US$83 should be AU$100, so that would be the sweet spot. Frustrating if you find a US$79 hotel!
yeah, orbitz and expedia always exclude large chains. nothing new here.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 8:08 am

Prices are inflated

I can find similar price for same hotels simply using Trivago (via other deal sites)
e.g. HotelClub - $50 coupon = Trivago results (via Priceline/Expedia/etc...)

The $100 off $100 deal was so much better
Old Dec 9, 2014, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jerryhung
Prices are inflated

I can find similar price for same hotels simply using Trivago (via other deal sites)

Yes, that deal was better, but this suckier deal will be easier to book because it shouldn't disappear so fast (that said, I'd check your prospective hotel nights ASAP).

As far as inflated rates go, yes, sometimes hotelclub (Orbitz) rates are not the best. Do a quick check on Kayak to see what other sites are pricing the hotel you're thinking of booking.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Don't forget HotelClub offers 14% cashback through TopCashBack (and a bit less cashback through other cashback sites).

I just wish I had some prospective nights I could use this on...no travel plans set in stone that don't involve visiting and staying with family, so nothing really to use this on.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jackal
Don't forget HotelClub offers 14% cashback through TopCashBack (and a bit less cashback through other cashback sites).(
Yeah, I mentioned this one earlier. I completed one purchase this morning using topcashback, but it hasn't yet posted to my account (sometimes it's almost immediate, sometimes not). My guess is we won't know whether we'll get credit until after the promo is used up. Might as well give it a shot if you find a rate with AUD$50 off that you like.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 10:48 am

Just spent 20 minutes with "chat" operator...

It would not work unless I had an Australian address attached. I was still able to get an approximately 40% discount through the operator. This was for a hotel in Auckland, NZ.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 12:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Prices are inflated

Some prices were a bit high- but for the property I selected, it was the same price (with 25% off) and fully refundable.

I got the Chase Fraud Alert as well.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 1:43 pm

Programs: SAS Diamond (*G), Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Prices are inflated

Prices are inflated but still cheaper. I've been able to get it down to $60-70 after taxes for mid-range hotels in an otherwise expensive city.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 1:48 pm

Thanks for posting. I found a deal that was cheaper than I could have gotten by bidding on Priceline, and I got to choose the exact hotel.
I used a Canadian address (my own).
Old Dec 9, 2014, 3:34 pm

Programs: SkyTeam Gold, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by WillTravel
Thanks for posting. I found a deal that was cheaper than I could have gotten by bidding on Priceline, and I got to choose the exact hotel.
I used a Canadian address (my own).
any luck with non-US/Canada/Australian cards?
Old Dec 9, 2014, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by BobKop
any luck with non-US/Canada/Australian cards?
tried several cards, all failed
Old Dec 10, 2014, 12:37 am

Programs: Delta Plat
Working for anybody? Looks dead to me - won't apply the $50 off after hitting "select"
Old Dec 10, 2014, 12:43 am

Programs: SAS Diamond (*G), Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by UA191
Working for anybody? Looks dead to me - won't apply the $50 off after hitting "select"
Can confirm. Looks like it's gone. I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did though!
Old Dec 10, 2014, 12:53 am

wow! how can orbitz afford to do this? I run a hotel and we sell our rooms direct through orbitz. a guy just booked this rate. he has paid orbitz $119 (i just talked with him on the phone) but my hotel will charge orbitz $135 after the guest has checked out, meaning orbitz will be out of pocket by $15 for the booking.....how does that make business sense?....is there a catch for the consumer? I don't really care because we will make just the same amount of money from the agent than if the guest booked directly (we add the agent commission level onto our direct prices - which for orbitz is a very high 20%)....but i'm curious as to why they would do this.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 4:03 am

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by qprjames1
wow! how can orbitz afford to do this? I run a hotel and we sell our rooms direct through orbitz. a guy just booked this rate. he has paid orbitz $119 (i just talked with him on the phone) but my hotel will charge orbitz $135 after the guest has checked out, meaning orbitz will be out of pocket by $15 for the booking.....how does that make business sense?....is there a catch for the consumer? I don't really care because we will make just the same amount of money from the agent than if the guest booked directly (we add the agent commission level onto our direct prices - which for orbitz is a very high 20%)....but i'm curious as to why they would do this.
Not sure, but I believe it is kind of like a loss leader in a regular store. They use it to build customer loyalty, etc. Also, they run things like this at the end of the year to build their cash on hand for the following year. Think of how many millions of dollars they are sitting on, that they do not have to pay back out for many many months.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.