Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotel Deals
Reload this Page >

Hotel Mistake Deals - Best Practices

Hotel Mistake Deals - Best Practices

Old May 13, 2016, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The problem with zero is that it's clearly a mistake.
That's the problem, 0 is hard to defend via common sense logic. Even $5 a night is an offer, but 0 or negative rates are hard to defend, if challenged. The more than a week stay also doesn't help, if it was a day or a weekend, you could easier argue "offer", even for 0. But, it is definitely a good deal.

Last edited by nk15; May 13, 2016 at 3:51 pm
Old May 13, 2016, 10:33 pm

For sure. I'd feel significantly braver showing up had it even been 1 point a night. Probably need to scrap it and move on with my life. Seems a shame not to give it a crack though...
Old May 13, 2016, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
This is a tough one, but given the high-risk high-reward situation you should make your own decision.
Old May 14, 2016, 4:41 am

Originally Posted by jmtfp
I've got a weird one. About 6 weeks ago I booked a room for 0 points a night. Mostly expecting it would have fallen over by now, I've locked in a flexible alternative that's looking pretty good but clearly quite a bit more expensive. The issue is it's a 2hr flight away from the 0 points a night hotel as opposed to a ride in a taxi and only flexible up to a few days before check in. So I kind of need to figure it out prior to flying out. Both of them are more than 20 hours flying for us to get to and that's all locked in. I should mention this stay is more than a week long. The confirmation email is unclear regarding the daily rate. I have screen shots the whole way through the booking process showing 0 points per night and 0 points total for the booking. When I open the reservation online it shows the normal amount of points but appears as though they've been deducted from my account. They haven't. I never had any where near that number of points. I've got about 6 weeks until check in. If I don't hear from them between now and check in and they noticed then, do you think I could push back on the loyalty program seeing as it was a mistake on their website, they'd had 3 months to decide it was an error and contact me and I'd have just flown half way around the world to get there? Also seeing as how the cost to the loyalty program would be far less significant than it would be to the property and the fact that they generally seem to have a fair amount of room to credit points to accounts in special circumstances. I realise it's poor form not to be more specific about which property I'm talking about but it's definitely no longer bookable at that rate so I don't see the point. Obviously if they contact me before hand I'm cooked but just wondering how you think I'll go if I'm not contacted by then and just front up?

1.So when you look at your reservation its showing as though a normal points reservation stating the correct amount and that they've already been deducted? Then to the hotel it would appear as a normal booking. So you wouldn't have a problem.

2.There could be a few Instances as to why you had 0 points redemptions. You might have encountered a problem and the hotel or loyalty program was giving you a customer accommodation and this was the way the agent input into the system.

3. If the loyalty notices their mistake and you are already there you could argue to have them deduct the points in your account and take whatever you have as full payment.

4. If you get there and they reject completely, you can try to negotiate a good rate for the night and next day go to your backup hotel.

What to do? Personally I would hate to give up on it and just be prepared for a fight. You might end up with something in the end. I just went through an issue I had with an airline. My husband thought it was a lost cause, but I perserved and after 2 months the airlines finally came through.

Good luck. Keep us informed as to the outcome.
Old May 20, 2016, 9:26 pm

If it's a points booking rather than dollars, I'd say you have nothing to lose as they are handled by separate departments and the property is going to be 100% independent of the award program. Even if they're able to detect the "0" points deduction for the booking at check-in, they aren't in a position to know anything more short of making some phone calls and researching, and frankly, I don't think they would care to do so. Award bookings are sent to properties as regular bookings (the hotels are compensated by the company managing the program) and the only distinction for guests is with regards to point earnings or factors that only have to do with the reward program itself (or any extra hotel amenities extended through it). In other words, it's entirely possible for a supervisor to make a "0" point award booking for a member under entirely unlikely circumstances. If it's authorized by the partner program than the hotel will recognize it. They might ask you how you managed it, but chances are it won't even get noticed if it hasn't already. Just keep checking to make sure that your reservation is still in the system prior to traveling.
Old May 21, 2016, 8:55 pm

Thanks very much for the advice guys!!! Absolute legends!

Think it's gotta be worth a shot based on what you've said. I'll sort out a more realistic back up plan, just in case. Will definitely keep you posted with how I get on.

Thanks again!!!
Old May 31, 2016, 7:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Are there websites or blogs that regularly post mistake rates ? I'm looking for low rates for Florida.

Any way to put some kind of alert, in order to be notified when a mistake rate happens for my desired destination ?

Thanks
Old May 31, 2016, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by MasterGeek
Are there websites or blogs that regularly post mistake rates ? I'm looking for low rates for Florida.

Any way to put some kind of alert, in order to be notified when a mistake rate happens for my desired destination ?

Thanks

www.extremehoteldeals.com

Rarely anything worthwile, but sometimes there is...
Old Jun 2, 2016, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by DealAddict

Really!?
Taken advantage of these since I first stumbled onto the website.

Santa Barbara hotel milo beach front for $22
Las Vegas aria suite for under $75 with $100 credit
San Antonio Marriott riverwalk $15
San Diego hotel del Coronado $60
Sofia hotel San Diego $40
Westin Las Vegas during edc weekend $9
Loews Madison Washington D.C. $44
Old Jun 2, 2016, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by Mrdeals805
Really!?

Yes, but many of those were canceled. I personally booked the Aria Suite, Hotel Del Coronado, and Sofia San Diego, all of which ended up getting canceled or adjusted to their correct rate.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by Big4Flyer
Yes, but many of those were canceled. I personally booked the Aria Suite, Hotel Del Coronado, and Sofia San Diego, all of which ended up getting canceled or adjusted to their correct rate.
That sucks for you! Wound up with 2 comped Sunday brunches at hotel del and waived resort fee, suite at aria with that waived resort fee and $100 food & bev(both booked via orbitz, platinum member over here) and Sofia via skoosh.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 11:14 am

That sucks for you! Wound up with 2 comped Sunday brunches at hotel del and waived resort fee, suite at aria with that waived resort fee and $100 food & bev(both booked via orbitz, platinum member over here) and Sofia via skoosh.
Wow! You were lucky. Did you ever have to push back at their attempts to increase the rate or did they never even try to update it. Perhaps your orbtiz status helped?
Old Dec 16, 2016, 8:11 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Fairmont Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Four Seasons Mistake Rate Honoured

Booked a 2 night stay at The Four Seasons Jakarta for early February. Brand new and looks stunning.

They have a promotion now where you get your second night free in the Premier Suite. The selling rate is 5,950,000 IDR per night. Booked two nights through Preferred Partner and came out to 7,000,000 IDR with the promotion. Great I thought.

Following morning I'm showing my partner pictures of the property when I see OTA rate (booking) selling the same room with flexible cancellation for half that price! I immediately booked and confirmed the two night stay for 3,500,000 IDR taxes in.

I hadn't stumbled across this thread yet and did the unthinkable... I emailed Four Seasons for a BRG! I really wanted those preferred partner benefits with the discounted rate.

I realized shortly after emailing that it was likely a mistake rate, considering it was no longer available through any OTA (5 minutes after booking). Lucky for me, Four Seasons emailed back and said they would match the price, and honour the preferred partner benefits. They even included airport transfer as a gesture of goodwill (huh).

So for ~$260.00 USD I'm getting two nights in a Premier Suite with lounge access, free breakfast, early check-in, late check-out, $100USD F+B credit and airport transfer.

Nice.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by DealAddict

+1

I'd been getting their email alerts for months, with nothing usuable, until one instance, when I booked one night in a local hotel for a 'staycation', not even realizing it might have been a mistake rate, as the rate looked more like a great promo than a downright mistake. However, quickly the rate was adjusted up. I've since unsubscribed.
Old Dec 17, 2016, 10:59 am

Programs: AC Fly-Free-Forever Winner
Really!?

+1. I especially loved the San Antonio Marriott Riverwalk. I booked two rooms for 5 days for $15 each per night. The check in and out staffs were so glad that I got such great rates. They even upgraded us to top floor with river view.
As for Aria, I negotiated to waived the resort fee of $37.85. So paid $75 for staying there and used the $100 For a wonderful dinner at Sage.
It also booked Hilton Puerto Rico for 6 days in June 2017 via notification from extremehoteldeals.com.
There are other deals that I booked because of this website.
So, count me in as a big fan of extremehoteldeals.com

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.