Hotel Mistake Deals - Best Practices

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2015, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by Big4Flyer
Can you give us a little more information? Is the reservation prepaid? If prepaid I would say don't worry about it. If not, typically hotels can't see the price actually paid to an OTA so I wouldn't worry unless priceline tries to contact you.
No not prepaid and priceline hasn't contacted me. I guess I am safe?
Old Aug 12, 2015, 7:24 pm

I think you are fine if priceline doesn't contact you. In the worst case you can pay higher and dispute with your credit card company. Your reservation is not directly with the hotel. Priceline is getting a cut. They can't change price on you without any notice. I would recommend reading this if you are new to booking. http://extremehoteldeals.com/faq/
Old Aug 12, 2015, 8:36 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist

Do not trust anyone who tells you your reservation will be honored if you ignore a call from the hotel. They may, they may not. You risk showing up at the hotel and having no reservation at all.

They corrected it within 30 minutes and reached out to you. That is pretty darn fast.

As for a chargeback, it may work, it may not. You would likely have to sign and acknowledge the correct rate at the property, which, combined with fair notice from the hotel, gives you little recourse. A reservation is trumped by your signing the credit card slip.

I also think an above poster misspoke. If it is prepaid, then the hotel might not be able to see what you paid. If it isn't prepaid, of course the hotel sees the price, as you are paying the hotel directly.

But again, read this thread, as otherwise everyone is going to trot out their same opinions as have been covered in detail. The point of this thread was that people could come here and see the collective wisdom, not that every time someone booked a mistake rate it could be rehashed over and over again. People have had different experiences, and have very strong opinions on what is morally and legally correct.

Last edited by Adam1222; Aug 12, 2015 at 8:48 pm
Old Aug 14, 2015, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by Adam1222

I also think an above poster misspoke. If it is prepaid, then the hotel might not be able to see what you paid. If it isn't prepaid, of course the hotel sees the price, as you are paying the hotel directly.
That was me, I had a reservation for a independent hotel a few months back and booked through priceline's pay later option. When I arrived at the hotel I asked if I could pay the difference for an upgraded room but was told that because I made my reservation through priceline they couldn't see it. Perhaps that was just a one-off, but that's where I made that assumption from.

Additionally, Adam's advice about ignoring calls from the hotel is spot-on. If they've made a good faith effort to contact you and you just ignore them, you'll either get a cancellation email or show up at the hotel without a reservation.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 7:06 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
Let Us Know How That Turns Out

Originally Posted by ZBigFam
No not prepaid and priceline hasn't contacted me. I guess I am safe?
If it were a auction bid and accepted offer you would be golden. Were it a mistake price on Hyatt.com it should work. But you booked through Priceline as a travel agent. I have this concern Priceline, the hotel, and you are all on different pages. Things could get involved in the lobby. Maybe fight your battle with Priceline now
Old Aug 23, 2015, 9:52 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GfL, Lufthansa SEN, Hilton Diamond, misc other stuff
So I have a couple of nice hotel deals but the first post says "Don't post on FT" and based on prior experience I believe that a few bookings of a nice deal would go unnoticed but anything posted on FT might end up on money-making blogs.
How should I do with the deals? Keep 'em to myself?
Feel free to PM me links/invitations/... to other groups. I can share some screenshots.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 10:21 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by El_Duderito
So I have a couple of nice hotel deals but the first post says "Don't post on FT" and based on prior experience I believe that a few bookings of a nice deal would go unnoticed but anything posted on FT might end up on money-making blogs.
How should I do with the deals? Keep 'em to myself?
Feel free to PM me links/invitations/... to other groups. I can share some screenshots.
Whether to post on FT or not is a personal choice. Theoretically, sharing your "nice deal" with a lot of people makes it more likely that t he hotel would realize it's a mistake and fix it quickly. But if no one shared mistake deals, this forum would die. Essentially the Collective Action Problem. If people only take deals from others, and keep silent on one's they find, it's a classic freeloader problem.
Old Sep 20, 2015, 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by Big4Flyer
I have my first mistake rate stay coming up for a hotel in San Diego. The rate we got was obviously a mistake, I haven't contacted the hotel since booking it about 4 months ago, and haven't heard anything from the hotel in regards to it. Our plan is to check in like normal, and if they decline to honor it at check in, ask to speak to a manager to explain that we would have liked knowing before check in about it not being honored. If they hold their ground we have a backup plan for somewhere else to stay. The rate we paid was about $30 for a room that goes for well over $400. Does this plan sound acceptable or us there anything else I should plan on doing that would increase our chance of it being honored?
How did it turn out? Was the rate honored? Any other details?
Old Dec 2, 2015, 5:25 pm

Expedia hotel price error - booked - what happens now?

I was looking for a hotel on an Indonesian island and found one fabulous deal for a presidential villa at ~$100 per night, when the correct price is ~$1,000 per night. I went to the hotel website directly and the price error there is obvious since they omitted one digit in the IDR rate. I booked via Expedia using prepaid non-refundable rate for the whole stay, my credit card was charged and booking confirmed on expedia website.

Now, what happens when the hotel realizes they made an error? Do they have to honor the mistake rate? Does expedia have to honor it? Any experience with expedia on mistake rates?
Old Dec 2, 2015, 5:29 pm

since you make a post here how about tell us what the deal is? probably few more of us will book it and have a higher chance to get honored.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 5:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by bearbb7
since you make a post here how about tell us what the deal is? probably few more of us will book it and have a higher chance to get honored.
Or a bunch more book and the hotel decides it can't lose that much money and cancels them all.

OP, screenshot everything and keep checking on your reservation on Expedia. I would probably also try to book a refundable backup hotel, too.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Or a bunch more book and the hotel decides it can't lose that much money and cancels them all.

OP, screenshot everything and keep checking on your reservation on Expedia. I would probably also try to book a refundable backup hotel, too.
That's true. Just my experience something like this a few more people is better. It isn't like presidential villa for $1 or something.....
Old Dec 2, 2015, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Good luck on them honoring your stay. Expedia can be hit or miss. If the hotel is part of a large chain, you have a slightly better chance.

I've also seen a lot of hotels advertise a "Presidential Suite" that was anything but. Normally 1500-3000 square feet. Living room, kitchen, formal dining room, sometimes a meeting room.

My last two Presidential Suites in Indonesia all had the above. One had a grand piano and huge 1000 sf balcony. If in Bali/Lombok, then very likely a swimming pool, too.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 10:36 pm

i do have a trip coming up next year.... let me see wht i can find good luck OP!

UPDATE:

cant find anything jan - march 2015 expedia first 3 pages

Last edited by eunduklee; Dec 2, 2015 at 10:54 pm
Old Dec 3, 2015, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by echino
Does expedia have to honor it? Any experience with expedia on mistake rates?
Expedia will do whatever the hotel asks Exp to do. If the hotel decides to cancel Exp will cancel your booking and make a refund without warning. Rest assured that Exp. will not side with you on this one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.